2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

how much do college golfers play/ practice per week

I was just wondering for all you guys who play on college golf teams..how much would you guys say you spend one week practicing/playing? I ask this because right now im tryin to decide what I want to do for college next year. My opitions are pretty much play at a consisent top- 25 dIII school or go to a top division I school and play club golf. any advice on what you guys did for your desicions with your colleges is also welcome.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about checking out some D2 schools? If you are good enough to play on a top 25 D3 school, I'm sure you could make it on D2 school that is alright. Plus you can get an athletic scholarship at a D2 school, which to me sounds like a better option than playing D1 club or hoping to get an academic scholarship at a D3 school (and paying a much larger amount to go to school).

Take a look at these scores, from a D2 tourney in Minnesota, you have the best guy shooting -1 over 2 days, averages around +20 and some of the worst guys shooting over +40.

http://www.winonastatewarriors.com/customp...4wsuinv.htm#NSU

I'm kicking myself for never even considering trying out!

I played D-1 golf a few years back, ha I'm still in college but don't play anymore, practice was one of the reasons. When I was playing I would say I would practice everyday putting, chipping for about an hour, warm up on the range for 20-30 min, then go play nine practicing certain shots, putting to different theoretical pin placements etc. I really don't like practicing so that is kinda my downfall. Some people practice better than others, I think you have to find a balance or level that you can reasonably commit to both physically and mentally, if you practice too much its just going to frustrate and annoy you and not help your game. Also what I might need to practice might be different from what you need to practice. The resources are obviously going to be better if you are on the team, range balls, green fees were free. There are other options in D-1 besides the the top tier in D-1 there are many good golf schools however the weaker ones usually don't have the best weather ha.

meaks- yeah i actually did have a d2 school also on the list for a while but the coach that was there got fired or asked to resgin or sumthin and there would be an interium coach for a while who told me that he had picked up golf after college and baseball was his main sport when he went to college, so i decided against that lol. The D3 school offered me a good amount of academic scholarship and i liked the coach who seemed to know alot about the game when i met him.

eatthemoney- i looked at top d1 for the spectator experience at different sporting events like football and basketball haha.

It would help if you specify exactly why you ask. Are you afraid that teams will spend too much time practicing for you to keep up w/ school work? Do you want a school with more practice time so you have more time with the coaches? Are you just trying to have an idea of what you're getting into? Are you trying to start getting used to practicing x amount for the future?

practice....we're talkin about practice....practice....yea, practice....we practice a lot, but the more the team practices, the better we play :ok:

who do you play for and if you don't mind me asking what was your handicap at age 13 or summer of gr 7

i played for USCA my first semester. Im taking this semester off to raise my GPA up a little higher. At the summer of grade 7 i was a 18 handicap. I did not take golf super serious until the summer before my freshman year of high school :good:

Doesn't the NCAA limit the amount of time any student/athlete can spend practicing per week?

Something around 20 hours IIRC.

i think you are right in the time limits. but you still have to practice on your own to compete because most of teh players who are serious are working alot outside of team practices. Also the coaches "encourage" that you practice on your own without the team, i say encourage but it is more like telling you that you need too.

And to answer the starting topic, you should practice every minute that you are not doing skool work. The team will have alloted times for study halls and stuff like that, the teams and coaches still take academics seriously and wont let you sacrifice school for golf.

I play for Air Force (still JV but working on it) and we are pretty lucky to have a lot of influence over academic schedule so we get a lot of time to practice. We all have class all morning, then lunch, then lift for an hour or go straight down to the course and practice until like 6 or 7pm. In addition, we usually have a competitive round on Saturdays, so if you added that all up, I would say an average of 4 hours every weekday plus 5 hours or so on Saturday. But in reality, you should want to practice as much as you can because if you aren't then you're probably falling behind. I know I practice with another guy until 7 if daylight permits most days, so sometimes I'll spend like 5-6 hours down at the course on a weekday, usually spending most of the time around the chipping/putting green and playing 9 holes or so. But from what I've heard, a lot of other schools in our conference don't allot as much time for practice, so it varies. Good luck in picking out a school!

Oh, and when I was 13, I don't think I could break 100 from the white tees...Heck, I couldn't break 90 until I was a sophomore in high school.

During the season, I practice about 4 hours a day. I will work on short game usually for about and hour and 15 min, then hit balls for 45 then go play nine (and not a casual nine- I play it like it was a tournament), but I play for a small d3 school, and to answer your other question-I didn't start playing til freshman year of high school.

I practice when i get the chance to... handling 5 classes, golf, lifting and a part time job... I usually make time for 2 hrs accumulative. works for me... cause i practice smart, unlike other guys on the team beating balls and posting mid 80's high 70's... it's too bad too all that nice equipment they get every year. I practice putting strokes on an arc and mirror drills and get in about an hour on the range and on the green, still have number 2 spot but i'm headed for that 1 spot with rounds this year under par and my handicap moving into the positives. Not bad for 3 years experience i'd say so myself. :tongue: Doesnt matter how much you practice, but how well you practice.

I play D1.... we practice alot. What ever you think is normal then add some. And weather doesn't matter either. I would say probably from 130-630 7ish weekday and weekends as much as you want. its alot with classes also... i mean i got off the course from qualifying today at 7 and came straight to the library to study for my accounting test i have in 7 hours... damn you golfwrx distracting me all the time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.