Mizuno MP25 still in play?

Shipwreck

Over the vast majority of my golfing life (going on 15 years now) I have played Mizuno. Off the top of my head I'm counting close to 10 different Mizuno sets I've had and the only ones I ever hated were the MP67s. About a year ago I moved to a set of Scratch irons, which were beautiful and amazing, but recently picked up a set of MP25s at a killer price that I couldn't pass up. I haven't had a chance to play them yet (on vacation) but I know they are going in the bag.

It's been a few amazing years for Mizuno and I don't see that letting up anytime soon. With all of the clubs they have put out since the 25s, is anyone still playing them and and if not, what made you change? What info could you put into the 25s for someone who's never hit them?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

launched too high, spun too much, turf interaction was poor. Amazing numbers on the monitors, in real world conditions not so much. IMHO worst players iron Mizuno ever made. I tried to like them but ulimately swapped out for Srixons and am way happier.

What shafts did you have in them?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

launched too high, spun too much, turf interaction was poor. Amazing numbers on the monitors, in real world conditions not so much. IMHO worst players iron Mizuno ever made. I tried to like them but ulimately swapped out for Srixons and am way happier.

What shafts did you have in them?

C-Tapers 130x

Don't take my word for it.. look what a poor professional response they had and how quickly Mizuno dumped em.

Playing a combo (see my signature). Great irons overall. Some more forgiveness than MP5s but not enough in my opinion to compensate for the lost of feel compared to the latter. If I went back I would go all MP5s, awesome irons and the most forgiving blades/musclebacks I've ever played.

Having said the above I hope you really like them

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

If you read over the posts about MP 25s on various threads on WRX, you'll see that some people get really angry about them. I don't know why some people are so pissed off at Mizuno for designing an iron in a certain way, but people are. The MP 25s are a different design from the 5s, 33s, 29s, etc, so they are going to feel and play differently than those irons. For someone that wants to try them, I say hit them and if you play well with them, keep on hitting them regardless of what others say. I play the 4 and 5 iron because I wanted a bit more forgiveness in my longer irons. I did not go full 25s because I launch the ball pretty high and the 5s help me keep the ball down a bit, especially in the shorter irons.

As for the person saying "Mizuno dumped them quickly" as an indication that they weren't any good, the 25s, like all Mizuno irons (at least recently), were on a two year product cycle... they were released in late summer / early fall 2015 and were replaced 2 years later.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

If you read over the posts about MP 25s on various threads on WRX, you'll see that some people get really angry about them. I don't know why some people are so pissed off at Mizuno for designing an iron in a certain way, but people are. The MP 25s are a different design from the 5s, 33s, 29s, etc, so they are going to feel and play differently than those irons. For someone that wants to try them, I say hit them and if you play well with them, keep on hitting them regardless of what others say. I play the 4 and 5 iron because I wanted a bit more forgiveness in my longer irons. I did not go full 25s because I launch the ball pretty high and the 5s help me keep the ball down a bit, especially in the shorter irons.

As for the person saying "Mizuno dumped them quickly" as an indication that they weren't any good, the 25s, like all Mizuno irons (at least recently), were on a two year product cycle... they were released in late summer / early fall 2015 and were replaced 2 years later.

They dumped that design quickly...Look at what replaced them. I stand by my statements. The irons never deserved the MP badge. I'll agree with you that the long irons were very easy to hit, but the design made for poor pw-6 iron for those who would be looking for something more reminiscent of the MP line.

I'm not angry, but I do feel that the design would have been better served in an offering like Titleists T-MB's to use at the top of sets or for those who really need help launching the ball and generating spin.

Like I said earlier, you will have those that like them, but the consensus is, and overwhelmingly so, even among Mizzy reps, it was a flop. So much so that I have a bit of an aftertaste in my mouth and will probably be shying away from mizzy in the near future, and I've had Mizzy's in the bag since the 33's.

I play them, they feel good, obviously not as soft as others but they do perform, are pretty forgiving, look good. Probably switching to the jpx900 tour in a few months just because I always switch things to newer stuff

I found the 900 Tours to be very unforgiving, I'd hit them side by side with the mp-18's if I were you and maybe consider a combo set with the MP-18sc.. I was getting better numbers and flight with the MP-5's with no noticeable difference in forgiveness over the JPX. Don't get me wrong they are playable, but to me they demand the precision of a blade without the benefits.

Still gaming my set. 4-PW, KBS Tour V 110 Stiff. I go back and forth between the 25s and a set of 714 AP2s. I'm surprised that the 25s are nearly as forgiving as the AP2s. Not much difference. The AP2s are a little more "muted" on mishits. The 25s feel better at impact IMO. The 25s head shape and turf interaction are perfect for me. The thinner clubfaces do add distance. I've owned or demoed every lefty Mizzy since the MP52s. The 25s are not as "pure" Mizuno as the 68s,but much better than the 54s ,59s,or 850F.

Its a compromise iron., almost forgiving as the MP 53, but longer. It appears to have less offset also.

i think you will like the irons.

Ping G400 Max, G20, Callaway Epic
TEE 3 Wood  Aeroburner 16.5 HL
TEE 5 Wood/ Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid
PXG 2021 0211 DC 4-PW/ Cobra Amp Cell 4-PW
Callaway MD4 50,54,58  Mizuno MP T10 Wedges 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron

pxg 0211 dc irons.jpg

Have been playing the 25's for six months or so and couldnt be happier. Played 53's, 64's and 15's prior and I think these stand up to any of those sets in feel and performance. Not the 64 soft feel/sound but still really good with a bit more forgivness. Still surprises me how forgiving these can be for the size/profile of the head.

They dumped that design quickly...Look at what replaced them. I stand by my statements. The irons never deserved the MP badge. I'll agree with you that the long irons were very easy to hit, but the design made for poor pw-6 iron for those who would be looking for something more reminiscent of the MP line.

I'm not angry, but I do feel that the design would have been better served in an offering like Titleists T-MB's to use at the top of sets or for those who really need help launching the ball and generating spin.

Like I said earlier, you will have those that like them, but the consensus is, and overwhelmingly so, even among Mizzy reps, it was a flop. So much so that I have a bit of an aftertaste in my mouth and will probably be shying away from mizzy in the near future, and I've had Mizzy's in the bag since the 33's.

Not sure I agree with this. The 7-p are not hollow cavity back like the 6 and up. They are solid one piece and have the same diamond muscle back as the highly regarded mp 64's. Very consistent and traditional yardages and flight from my experience. The 6 and up definitely have more of that H4/H5 hollow sound/feel but that was the design of the set, to be its own combo set. I feel a lot of people combo Mizzy irons with bladey short irons like MP5's to a more forgiving longer irons like the H5's and this set was made for that reason and works for me.

Yep. Still playing my 25s and liking them more than when I bought them. I will likely get some variety of MP 18s later this year just because but the MP 25s are fine irons. My initial issues had more to do with my transition to a lightweight graphite shaft than the irons. They are very forgiving IMO.

Titleist TSi2 10
Titleist 917F 16.5 
Titleist 917F 21 
Titleist 718 AP3 4-48 
Titleist Vokey SM7 52 
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 
Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

• 1 year later...