Callaway Epic Star In-Hand Photos: Driver, Fairways, and Irons

not really pertaining to this exact product but, Is there really a question of why Golf is struggling to attract players... one reason, and the only reason is that it's way to expensive to use a few pieces of steel made in China, take a nice walk in a park and try to whack a peice of plastic in a hole. $ 2400 for a cast price of metal with a badge. WTF.

Especially when said piece of steel is the same thing they already sell for $400, less 7 grams on a track weight, minus an adjustable hosel, painted black, and with the word "star" on it. Best I can figure, it's the current Epic but with LESS materials (in the form of a lighted weight and a glued hosel instead of of adjustable). How in the world does that command an extra $400?

But somebody will buy it. And if the regular Epic has 300% profit built in, then this has probably 800%. So they don't have to sell that many to be a big hit.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geeze you really getting ripped off in the US with this driver. First of all it comes in 10.5 & 12*. The 12* is not even offered in Japan. Overall you are getting a recoloured driver from Japan. The grip mentioned, not even stock or an option in Japan – I cant find it here in Japan. The bassara shaft is just a one off option in customisation for Japan. They don’t even make this driver/shaft combination to buy off the rack!

The stock offering in Japan is 9.5 & 10.5*. The stock or base model Epic star weighs 289grams just 3 grams more than the US version. Stock shaft is 49grams. The Bassara in Japan also comes in 32.5 & 35.5 grams. The “speeder” option shafts come in weights of 29.5, 33 & 35.5 gram options.

Save yourself money and buy the stock Japan version through Rakuten @ about US$450.

For US$799 I would look at the GBB Epic Forged driver direct from Japan.

They are beautiful clubs but their price is horrendous. I have owned 4 different sets of Callaway irons and at least 7 different Callaway drivers, but I won't be paying $2,400 for a set of irons nor $800 for a driver. Come back to earth Callaway management.

Zak's article on the homepage says that these clubs are meant for a very specific group of golfers. But that group probably isn't me or you. And when you think about it, there's probably a ton of people every day who spend $800+ on a driver by the time they add in a custom shaft upcharge and a fitting fee. Hopefully the golfer these clubs are intended for will see a benefit from them.

I made a mistake on the article, guys. The price of the driver is $699, not $799. Sorry about that.

Also, after reading another article about these clubs I think you might want to double check which lofts are offered in the hybrid. Looks like it's way more than 3 lofts and 18 dry isn't one of them.

All I can gather from the xxio, cobra and now callaway releases is that slow swing players refuse to golf unless their clubs cost twice what they should and they are black and gold. As a slow swinger, I now see my problem, too much money in my pocket and not enough gold in my bag.

Well XXIO didn't jump on the band wagon for slow swing players, they have always been making clubs for that market!

39 degree PW. We've cracked the sub 40 barrier!!!!

I'm a huge Callaway fan but to me looks nothing more than repackaged Japan product. Which is fine, but nothing overly earth shattering here. I'm not in the target demographic however.

You nailed on the head a repackaged JDM product. In fact it is really not repackaged at all. The only difference is the colour.

The shaft in the US version is the stock shaft option for the JDM version and the made out to be some super driver! The 12* driver is not even offered in Japan!

Go look at Callaway Japan and you can see the US is getting a black coloured version of the green Japan version but marked up considerably!

So they dipped the fugly brush in gold this time?

PXG and JDM (don't mean Cally JDM btw) offerings over these each and every time.

I've seen pretty much everything in someone or the other's bag over the year, but outside of a demo day, I'm not holding my breath on seeing these irons in the wild.

It's a shame Cally didn't export their JDM stuff back in 2011, more people could have got their hands on the Stensons :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

not really pertaining to this exact product but, Is there really a question of why Golf is struggling to attract players... one reason, and the only reason is that it's way to expensive to use a few pieces of steel made in China, take a nice walk in a park and try to whack a peice of plastic in a hole. $ 2400 for a cast price of metal with a badge. WTF.

Your opening statement is far too accurate to even be paired to the rest of your post. This product. and all the rest like it, have nothing to do with attracting new players. Of all the ridiculous marketing claims over the years, no golf manufacturer has ever implied "you shouldn't even bother playing golf if you don't have these new greatest clubs ever" The only people that go out and buy all brand new top of the line stuff when taking up the game are people that can afford it. Just like the people that will buy these clubs, the people that can afford it. There are more of those people out there than you may want to believe. Offering premium priced options, regardless of the perceived value of everyone else, has been a part of many industries for as long as they've been around. Nobody needs a $25,000 rolex so they know what time it is.

I'm going to add a little perspective to help bring this into context for the WRX crowd.

-Titliest 917d2 w/ AD-DI shaft = $500 driver + $300 shaft upgrade on a shaft that retails for $379 on trusted sites like golfworks. $800 spent with $79 savings if ordered through Titleist new.

-GBB Epic Star stock configuration = $500 driver (based on closest existing model) + a shaft that retails for $500. So you're at $700 spent with a savings of $300 vs. buying the shaft for your GBB Epic.

If you spent $500 on a driver after a fitting last year and suddenly they came out with a new driver and shaft that increased your clubhead speed 3-4mph>ball speed ~6mph>carry distance up to 12 yards you'd sell your driver and spend $700 no problem to gain that kind of distance. Well we all know that clubs are basically to the point of diminishing returns for the guys that swing at 110mph and that's just not going to happen for you. So here we go and for once, the oems want to help the guys who can't swing like a tour player and provide equipment that actually CAN provide those types of gains or more and all everyone wants to do is complain. Open your mind a little and realize this can help a lot of golfers hit the ball further and have more fun playing the game.

Two extreme sides of the spectrum here to remind you that this driver might not be made for you or me but, it has it's place. There are TONS of people here that have spent $700+ on a driver after a fitting. So just because this driver wasn't made to fit your game, doesn't mean it's really that overpriced.

I'm going to add a little perspective to help bring this into context for the WRX crowd.

-Titliest 917d2 w/ AD-DI shaft = $500 driver + $300 shaft upgrade on a shaft that retails for $379 on trusted sites like golfworks. $800 spent with $79 savings if ordered through Titleist new.

-GBB Epic Star stock configuration = $500 driver (based on closest existing model) + a shaft that retails for $500. So you're at $700 spent with a savings of $300 vs. buying the shaft for your GBB Epic.

Two extreme sides of the spectrum here to remind you that this driver might not be made for you or me but, it has it's place. There are TONS of people here that have spent $700+ on a driver after a fitting. So just because this driver wasn't made to fit your game, doesn't mean it's really that overpriced.

Rationality is illegal at WRX, Sir, and I never slice...

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Titleist tried it with the C16, and I guess it worked out for them because they sold most of what they made. With that line, you had to get fitted by them in order to buy.

Now Cally moves into the PXG space that the C16 targeted. It will be interesting to see just how big that space is.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Titleist tried it with the C16, and I guess it worked out for them because they sold most of what they made. With that line, you had to get fitted by them in order to buy.

Now Cally moves into the PXG space that the C16 targeted. It will be interesting to see just how big that space is.

To be fair, the only thing that PXG and this new line have in common are high price points. PXG claims they build the best golf equipment on the planet but imo they market much more towards the lower handicappers and have a fairly strong Tour presence. Callaway is very clear about who this new line is for. The more appropriate comparison would be XXIO as they cater to the same player.

couldn't imagine spending that much on a 7w with a chip in it ;)

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

If you spent $500 on a driver after a fitting last year and suddenly they came out with a new driver and shaft that increased your clubhead speed 3-4mph>ball speed ~6mph>carry distance up to 12 yards you'd sell your driver and spend $700 no problem to gain that kind of distance. Well we all know that clubs are basically to the point of diminishing returns for the guys that swing at 110mph and that's just not going to happen for you. So here we go and for once, the oems want to help the guys who can't swing like a tour player and provide equipment that actually CAN provide those types of gains or more and all everyone wants to do is complain. Open your mind a little and realize this can help a lot of golfers hit the ball further and have more fun playing the game.

Points well taken. The folks on here that spent that kinda money on a driver after a fitting are most likely ballets I'd bet, not your everyday senior. But hey, you're right in saying there's a market fo it but if I was in that market I'd steer towards the Cobra line aimed at seniors. I play with seniors and I guarantee none of them would EVER pay that! $700 OTR is nuts! To each his own tjough.

Points well taken. The folks on here that spent that kinda money on a driver after a fitting are most likely ballets I'd bet, not your everyday senior. But hey, you're right in saying there's a market fo it but if I was in that market I'd steer towards the Cobra line aimed at seniors. I play with seniors and I guarantee none of them would EVER pay that! $700 OTR is nuts! To each his own tjough.

I hear you loud and clear. I wasn't trying to defend any one manufacturer, I just wanted to defend the concept. I would bet the two new offerings from Cobra and Cleveland also perform great for the intended golfers at a fraction of this price. I don't know any seniors that would buy this either but, that says more about who you and I are friends with as opposed to whether or not they'll sell these. LOL

The market research has been done by the people who get paid to do exactly that. These aren't ideas thrown at a wall. All the info gets presented with supporting info and the executives and board sign off on it. You guys aren't smarter than that process. If there wasn't a market for this in the US, then XXIO would have been gone after one season. It may not be easy but, go find a local store that sells XXIO products and ask them how they're doing. You will likely walk out of that shop with a surprising answer.

I hear you loud and clear. I wasn't trying to defend any one manufacturer, I just wanted to defend the concept. I would bet the two new offerings from Cobra and Cleveland also perform great for the intended golfers at a fraction of this price. I don't know any seniors that would buy this either but, that says more about who you and I are friends with as opposed to whether or not they'll sell these. LOL

The market research has been done by the people who get paid to do exactly that. These aren't ideas thrown at a wall. All the info gets presented with supporting info and the executives and board sign off on it. You guys aren't smarter than that process. If there wasn't a market for this in the US, then XXIO would have been gone after one season. It may not be easy but, go find a local store that sells XXIO products and ask them how they're doing. You will likely walk out of that shop with a surprising answer.

Roger that on who you and I play golf with and are friends lol. You in no way defended no brand at all. I'm gone for a month off shore so my group is made up of retired guys and a few younger ones like myself. But I agree, there's a market out there or they wouldn't take a chance, especially at the price points. Have a good one!

Wow. 39° Pitching Wedge is pushing the term a bit. Hell, the AW is higher lofted (44°) than my PW (47°).

On the flip side I can totally understand Callaways idea here. Target older players who have lower swing speeds, but more money to spend. Plenty of senior golfers would be happy to spend a little money to be able to hit it "as far as when they were 30."

They've called the driver a limited offering so they're not fooling themselves into thinking that this has mass market appeal.

I'm the target market. Serious golfer, slower swing speed, would love a few extra yards, sufficient disposable income and a birthday coming up.

I'll hit it and see what it does for me. I'm on my third driver of the year and not particularly happy with the current one. One $699 driver that stays in my bag for a year would actually save me money.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

A 4 iron is tempting...

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I don't understand people who are outraged by the price when the product is not meant for them. Most of the "I hate that this driver is $700" should be replaced with "I hate that I can't afford a $700 driver".

If it doesn't fit you then you shouldn't care what it costs. I would love a set of 0311T's but I don't want to get divorced so I am sad that I can't buy them. To me wanting and not being able to buy it is the only reason to complain about price.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Yeah, truth is this aren't really marketed towards us. It doesn't seem like too horrible a deal considering the shaft is north of $400 in itself. These are built for older players that have plenty of disposable income that want the "best". PXG, XXI0, Honma, etc. These type of guys gamble more in a round than these drivers cost each time they go out.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

I don't understand people who are outraged by the price when the product is not meant for them. Most of the "I hate that this driver is $700" should be replaced with "I hate that I can't afford a $700 driver".

If it doesn't fit you then you shouldn't care what it costs. I would love a set of 0311T's but I don't want to get divorced so I am sad that I can't buy them. To me wanting and not being able to buy it is the only reason to complain about price.

It's definetly not the " I can't afford it" for me, just that it's absolutely ridiculous for an OTR driver with s 39 gram shaft to be at that price is all.

It's definetly not the " I can't afford it" for me, just that it's absolutely ridiculous for an OTR driver with s 39 gram shaft to be at that price is all.

The shaft is actually a value in this scenario. At least more than most drivers. A $500 driver is still $500 before the shaft upgrade. Some upgrades are better than others but for this example I know that if you order a AD DI in a new driver it's $250 from callaway and $300 from Titleist. That shaft is $379 purchased a la carte from a dealer. That's not much of a break paired with the head only for $500 still. In the case of the US Epic Star you're getting a shaft that would cost $450 a la carte in a driver head that one could argue is still a $500 driver.

I believe you that you can afford it but it's not as ridiculous as you're suggesting. It may simply just not be a good fit for you.

Lol, funny!! Yea, I'm a 'senior' (63 yrs), hit it 230 and maybe 250 (including roll out, lol) when pured.... but I know $$$ are not going to make me hit it 280 unless I shoot it out of a cannon. I know there's people who have more money than they know what to do with....the country club types who spend 2-3x their monthly club fees on their bar/food totals. I was thinking just the opposite, perhaps the youngsters who have no price limit on getting what they want. (kind of like my son who asked "dad, what would it take to get to the spending power you and mom have?"....answer: "son, forget it, you'll never get there the way you spend; your first vehicle after getting your first job out of college cost more than any vehicle mom and I have ever purchased new...even after I talked you out of the 5.7L V-8!"

$800 for a driver is just outrageous.

Sounds like it is pointed at senior golfers, who probably have the money and gladly would pay the premium to gain some lost distance back.. unlike 99% of the posters here who all have 120 mph SS and their occasional mishit is a weak 310 yard fade..

I don't see anywhere that Callaway said it would return a senior to his younger years. 63 isn't a senior, I was referring to 75 and up that would love to hit their drives 215 again instead of 190. I played the other day with a guy who was 78 and he shot 4 under his age on a par 72 6,800 yard course using basically women's shafts in his clubs. Swallowed his pride equipment wise but beat everyone in the foursome including a couple of "big bombers" (no handicap crap, just straight up).