MEMBER REVIEWS: Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood Testing

Hundreds of GolfWRX members applied to be one of 6 chosen testers for Callaway Steelhead XR fairway woods. The 6 members have been chosen. They are...

Hackster

lutomrSC

SDickenson642

MillerLowLife

BillyBaroo1985

drifliboy

FROM CALLAWAY GOLF ON STEELHEAD XR FAIRWAY WOODS

If you’ve been around golf for a while and familiar with our brand, you probably remember the old iconic Steelhead Fairway Woods and particularly the that are still widely considered to be one of the best fairway woods of all time. Well… they’re back and more powerful than ever.

The reason the original Steelhead gained so much popularity was its beautiful shape and innovative Hawkeye Sole which promoted solid contact from almost any lie. With the new Steelhead XR Fairway Wood, we have improved on that iconic shape to make the head even more forgiving and easy to launch as well as incorporated modern power-producing technologies to super charge the face and give you killer distance and maximum forgiveness from the tee as well as the turf.

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAR UNTIL MEMBERS START POSTING THEIR REVIEWS.

Thanks!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Date tested: August 2017

Handicap Index: 6.4

What Club did you test? Please enter the Fairway wood model, Loft, Shaft type and Flex in the spa...

FW Model: Steelhead XR 4+

Loft: 16

Shaft type: Tensei CK Series 65

Flex: X

Please tell us about your Testing Conditions:

I received the fairway wood just before I headed down to TX for a golf tournament. I put it in play right away on course for the practice round and then the tournament the next day. It was hot and humid with little wind. Grass was in great shape for Texas in the summer. I also was able to test on courses in Oklahoma for three rounds and spend a few practice sessions hitting off of grass in OK. On the course I tried the steelhead XR from the fairway, rough, sand bunkers, and extremely tight lies of burnt out grass.

Please rate the Steelhead XR Fairway Wood attributes on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "extremely...

Aesthetics and Appearance

Acoustics/Sound

Feel/Feedback

Please comment on the Steelhead XR Fairway Wood attributes in the space below:

The appearance of the steelhead is amazing. The shape is perfect for my eye as I prefer a smaller profile down by the ball in fairway woods. The face is pretty deep compared to my fly z + I've been playing for three years now. The sound is amazing off of the head. I never had the privilege of playing the original steelhead fairways but it does remind me of the original woods I played as a kid which I think where tommy armour 845's. The sound was loud and sounded very metallic but not overbearing. The feel for this fairway wood was amazing. When I flushed one it felt like hitting a forged iron. The feedback was noticeable with the feel and feedback from the ball flight, however the sound was still very similar to a centered strike which was confusing.

Please rate the performance of the Steelhead XR Fairway Wood off the Tee: Rate on a 1-10 scale:

DISTANCE compared to my current Fairway wood(s)

FORGIVENESS compared to my current Fairway wood(s)

CONTROL compared to my current Fairway wood(s)

LAUNCH Characteristics compared to mycurrent Fairway wood(s)

Comments regarding the performance characteristics you just rated in the last question:

I play Cobra's fly z + in 14.5 degrees for my 3 wood and compared to the Steelhead XR 16 degrees I do not think I gave up any distance off the tee. If anything the deeper face was easier to launch off a tee almost like a mini driver compared to the shallow profile of the cobra. Forgiveness was much improved off the face with the steelhead XR compared to my fly z+ off the tee and very similar off the deck. Control with the Steelhead XR was great from the tee. It was just point and shoot and became my go to off the tee when I had to have one in the short grass.

Please rate the performance of the Steelhead XR Fairway Wood off the deck (Fairway & Rough):

DISTANCE compared to my current Fairway Wood(s)

VERSATILITY compared to my current Fairway Wood(s)

CONTROL compared to my current Fairway Wood(s)

LAUNCH Characteristics compared to my current Fairway Wood(s)

Comments regarding the performance characteristics you just rated in the last question:

With the deeper face of the steelhead XR I thought I would have issues launching the ball from the deck on par 5's but I did not see any issue. Turf interaction with the steelhead was great. I was able to try multiple lies from the fairway, rough, and even a bunker. From the fairway I could easily control and actually get the ball up in the air enough and with enough spin to hold greens. I did not see any low spin bombs from the rough or fairway that could not hold the greens or fairway.

OVERALL Pros:

Sound, shape, feel, looks

OVERALL Cons:

I had to really remind myself to get down to get the ball higher on face when hitting from the deck.

Summary of your Overall experience with the Steelhead XR Fairway Wood:

I am really impressed with the Steelhead XR. To be honest I don't think I would have even looked at the steelhead because of the hype with the epic fairway woods but that would have been a huge mistake. The Steelhead XR can definitely hold its own and actually looks better down by the ball than the epic models to me. The sound and feedback was great and you could not ask for more in this department from Callaway. The club is long off of the tee and allowed me confidence in stepping to a tee box and having to put one in the fairway. This club helped me shoot my best score this summer because I could point and shoot from the tee box or fairway. Thanks again Golfwrx and Callaway for allowing me the opportunity to test the Steelhead XR 4+. I hope you don't want it back I may give up my first born for this club.

Placeholder for my Steelhead XR 3+ Review. Thank you for the opportunity!

8/3/17

A few early pics from yesterday on the range:

Comparison to my current G25 gamer

8/17/17:

Steelhead XR FW Review

Recently I tested the new Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood. Callaway and GolfWRX sent me the club to test for the purposes of writing a review for the GolfWRX Community.

Date Tested:

8/03 - 8/16/17

Model Tested:

Steelhead XR Pro 3+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65 Graphite X-flex

Handicap Index:

+4

Testing Conditions:

Between the dates of 8/3 and 8/16 I tested this club in the south east US. I live in South Carolina so temperatures have been between the mid 80's and mid 90's. Our fairways were firm until early last week when some rain has softened them up. Fairway turf grass is Bermuda.

Club Characteristics (1=Very poor, 10=Outstanding)

Characteristic

Score

Aesthetics/Appearance

9/10

Acoustics/Sound

9/10

Feel/Feedback

8/10

Comments:

I like almost everything about how this club looks. The color combination of the dark blue against the steel face gives a nice contract. I really like how the carbon fiber looks under the blue paint. The only thing I don't care for is how closed the club face looks at address. If this had a more neutral to square look It might very well be close to perfect.

Performance OFF THE TEE (1=Very poor, 10=Outstanding)

Characteristic

Score

DISTANCE compared to my current fairway wood(s)

9/10

FORGIVENESS compared to my current fairway wood(s)

7/10

CONTROL compared to my current fairway wood(s)

7/10

LAUNCH CHARACTERISTICS compared to my current fairway wood(s)

7/10

Comments:

For me having a 3+ with a loft of 13.5 I'd be more inclined to use this off the tee than off the turf. I think this club is a great option to hitting driver off the tee. I hit a number of balls off the tee with this club. I found it easy to hit and fairly straight. If anything I tended to have a slight fade bias off the tee which isn't my normal shot shape, but something I could see using in tournament play if needed. The feel was great on center hits, but a little vague on off center strikes. At times the ball appeared to have a little too much spin and would tend to climb to a height that would be above my current gamer off the tee. However it would tend to go further because of the stronger loft, usually about 5-7 yards. Perhaps a different shaft could help the spin but it would need testing. The Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65 Graphite X-flex is a great stock option. It has a good feel and a weight that I prefer and I think it can keep up with higher swing speeds without issue.

Performance OFF THE DECK (Fairway & Rough): ( (1=Very poor, 10=Outstanding)

Characteristic

Score

8/10

VERSATILITY compared to my current fairway wood(s)

8/10

8/10

LAUNCH CHARACTERISTICS compared to my fairway wood(s)

7/10

Comments:

I didn't see any appreciable distance gains off the deck. I had a tough time getting the ball as elevated as I normally would with my current gamer.

OVERALL

PROS:

I do think the hawkeye sole has it's benefits when hitting off the ground. Whether it's off the fairway or the rough I think this sole does have more versatility than other clubs with a more traditional sole.

CONS:

As mentioned earlier I wasn't able to elevate the ball with this 3+ fwy wood as I'd like to. Perhaps it's the loft or shaft or a combo of both. The majority of my shots were very low trajectory. Maybe that would benefit some players, however I'm sure if I could find the right shaft and head combination I could fix that issue.

Summary of My Experience with the Club

I think this is solid club. I know it was a big time gamer for people who used them in the past with the previous iteration. Tthe combination of modern technology in head design and materials coupled with the hawkeye sole is winner. I may be thinking about getting truly fit for one in the future. Anyone I let hit it on the range when I was testing only had positive reactions.

Steelhead XR FW Review

Recently I tested the new Callaway Steelhead XR Fairway Wood. Callaway and GolfWRX sent me the club to test for the purposes of writing a review for the GolfWRX Community.

Date Tested:

8/03 - 8/15/17

Model Tested:

Steelhead XR Pro 4+

Handicap Index:

Testing Conditions:

I tested this club over 2 weeks and about 6 rounds with some range time both outside and on a simulator. Testing conditions were great for playing as it was typically very little wind, hot, and med firm fairways. I play in Utah and my home course is a "links style" course but most courses in Utah are dryer because of the climate and you get good roll out. Plus I usually play at close to 4,000ft elevation.

Characteristic

Score

Aesthetics/Appearance

10/10

Acoustics/Sound

8/10

Feel/Feedback

8/10

Comments:

The top of this club looks awesome at address. I really liked the look of the crown that is a dark blue and shows the carbon fiber underneath. That coupled with the silver steel face makes it easy to frame the ball. This is a steel club so the sound and feel will be a sharper metal sound that's accustomed to the old steelheads. Has great swing weight and feel. Felt really easy to hit this in the tee box, fairway, or rough.

Characteristic

Score

9/10

7/10

8/10

10/10

Comments:

I currently game the 2016 M2 HL fairway wood for comparison. I also have an old V-steel to compare the metal fairway feel/sound. Distance - I was really surprised by the amount of carry I got with this club. I actually got less roll out compared to the M2 but I seem to launch this higher so thats understandable. I did see better carry numbers with this club. Typically I would prefer that with a fairway as I would want it to land softer and have more predictable yardage. Forgiveness - This is where I saw a big difference. If I didn't square this club up I didn't find it very forgiving and a drop off in distance. I tend to miss a little towards the toe side if I do. After I got adjusted to the different lie angles compared to my gamer, I didn't notice the miss hits as much. Control - Felt pretty easy to control this club and work it either way out of the tee box. Launch - Again, I noticed this launched higher with a little more carry than my gamer. The lie angle is 5* flatter than my gamer so I had more of a bleeding fade as a miss compared to the over draw with my gamer.

Characteristic

Score

8/10

10/10

8/10

10/10

Comments:

Distance - Great for distance off the deck. Out of rough I wasn't expecting to maintain the distance of compared to fairway but due to the heavier feel, felt pretty easy to get into and through the rough to maintain as much distance as one would hope. Versatility - This is where I really liked the steelhead. I thought the heavier feel and shape of the head/face made it easy to switch from tee box to fairway to rough. Control - I thought this club was more predictable out of the rough. I just knew this would be able to get through the rough and maintain the face angle compared to my gamer. It plays a fraction shorter so I had a bit more control in the rough. Launch - Had no issues get a ball up out of deeper lies and the fairway.

OVERALL

PROS:

I really enjoyed the versatility of the 4+ with the shorter playing length, heavier swing weight, and flatter lie angle. For me, it felt like a bomber off the teebox but still something I could use to get me out of less than ideal lies outside of the fairway. Something I wouldnt think about with my current gamer and would opt for an iron.

CONS:

The one con I had is that when not squared up I noticed a bigger drop off in distance compared to my gamer.

Great looking club from head to toe that was more of jack of all trades for a fairway wood. Enjoyed having a steel fairway wood in the bag again. Will be able to upload photos/video from video after my review is submitted.

Steelhead XR FW Review

Date Tested:

8/17/2017

Model Tested:

Callaway Steelhead XR

Handicap Index:

Testing Conditions:

I tested the club 4 times. One time off of driving range mats, twice on grass ranges and once on the course. It was dry and the turf was in good shape. I live in Houston so we are close to sea level and golf courses are normally damp. Normal conditions right now is lift clean and place.

Update I have played and practiced since the review was uploaded.

During my last round I used this club off the tee 6 or 7 times. I can honestly say I hit this club much 20 to 25 yards farther than my current 3 wood which is a Titleist 909D3 15 degree. I hit several drives over 280 on flat ground no wind and it was damp.

Characteristic

Score

Aesthetics/Appearance

10/10

Acoustics/Sound

8/10

Feel/Feedback

8/10

Comments:

I think the club looks great. It sets up slightly open and has a deep profile which I prefer. The club feels hot and a nice sound. I like the blue finish and carbon fiber look. I also prefer a glued hosel which this clubs has. The shaft is lighter than I prefer, I have always played an 80 gram shaft in my fairways.

Characteristic

Score

8/10

8/10

7/10

4/10

Comments:

The launch is slightly lower than my current 3 wood but my current club is 15 degree. This club is long and forgiving. It has good control and a straight ball flight.

Characteristic

Score

8/10

5/10

5/10

5/10

Comments:

I did not hit this club as well as my current gamer off the turf. It did not seem to carry as well off the turf it has a much flatter flight than I am use to. But that club be the loft or shaft.

OVERALL

PROS:

Great looking club. Very long and forgiving. I think Callaway did awesome with the design and engineering. I would put this club in play it is good!

CONS:

I don't love the shaft. The launch is a little lower than what I am use to off the deck but I use a three wood as a driving club 90% of the time.

Thank you Callaway for giving me the ability to test this club. Good job this club should be a hit like the original Steelhead. For some reason it is only attaching one photo I will add more later.

Update 8/29/2017

The more I get use to this club the better it is for my game. I hit straighter than my driver and only 15 to 20 yards shorter. It feels hot the face and carries. Awesome club Callaway!

RFX 9.5 Tour AD DI 7X
909 F3 15 73x BB
913HD 18 UST AXIVCore Black 104X
712CB 4-5 712 MB 6-PW C-Taper S+
SM4 52 & TVD 60 S400
Cameron Oil Can Newport

Steelhead XR FW Review

Date Tested:

August 2017

Model Tested:

Steelhead XR 3+

Handicap Index:

Testing Conditions:

Six rounds of golf along with a couple of range sessions were completed in the test of this club. Weather included temps in the 80s for most all of the testing. Course and range conditions were very soft.

Characteristic

Score

Aesthetics/Appearance

9/10

Acoustics/Sound

8/10

Feel/Feedback

8/10

Comments:

I was impressed with the overall look of the club. The crown in sunlight is stunning without being a distraction. The look is classic but with a modern touch. The club did have the look of having a bit of a draw bias at address. The sound is good, it has a little bit of a crack when struck well, but it is not too loud. The feel of the club is also good, you can easily tell if the shot was thin, off the toe or heel etc..

Characteristic

Score

9/10

7/10

7/10

8/10

Comments:

This club with the lower loft of the 3+ worked well for me off the tee. It was close to my driver on distance. It seemed to launch quickly and then maintain it's height, it did not balloon for me. It also really seemed to want to go straight, a couple of times shots almost seemed to correct a little in the air, particularly if I had pushed it. This club at this loft is pretty much a driver replacement for me.

Characteristic

Score

6/10

8/10

7/10

6/10

Comments:

This club did not work well for me from the fairway, but it was not the club's fault. The loft was a little low for me to use with any confidence. I did have a couple of my fellow golfers try the club from the fairway and rough. One of my friends who has a little higher swing speed was able to hit some fantastic shots with this club from the fairway. He was definitely longer with the Steelhead than his own 3 wood. Again, as off the tee the ball launched quickly and really wanted to go straight.

OVERALL

PROS:

Great looking club, without a lot of gimmick looks added. The club gives you a confident look at address. It launches quickly, high (without ballooning ) long and straight. It has forgiveness built in but it doesn't look like it's made to fix every swing flaw that man has created. It has driver distance with a smaller, cleaner fairway wood look.

CONS:

The only con that I have is that the loft of the 3+ was a little low for me off the turf.

If you are looking for a very classy fairway wood that is solid, long, with some forgiveness and doesn't look like it was developed by a "mad" scientist, this club should be on your short list. It works well off the tee and turf. Please test and get fitted for the right loft and flex. I think this club provides most golfers with very good options that should be considered if they are looking to upgrade any of their woods.

Steelhead XR FW Review

Date Tested:

8/29/17

Model Tested:

Xrsteelhead 4+

Handicap Index:

Testing Conditions:

Tested in central California summer conditions. Fairways hard and fast to mushy, 80 to 100 degrees.

Characteristic/Score

Aesthetics/Appearance

10/10

Acoustics/Sound

9/10

Feel/Feedback

9/10

Comments:

Sets up behind the ball and frames the ball nice. Nothing to distracting on crown. Get the feeling that the steelhead is ready to do business. Shaft has blue graphics that complement the crown graphics.

Characteristic/Score

10/10

9/10

10/10

10/10

Comments:

This club is all business. Longer than my 3 wood, fly's higher and able to work the ball lady and right. On the tee, the ball jumps forward when it hits fairway. Does not loose much distance on off center hits.

Characteristic/Score

10/10

10/10

9/10

10/10

Comments:

Long off the fairway, just put on cruise control and fire away. I struggle in the rough with any fairway wood so not much to compare to, that's what hybrids are for.

OVERALL

PROS:

Love this club. Had concerns where it wood fit in the bag, but easily able to replace my 14.5 3 wood with the 4+. Much more versatile than my current 3 wood and longer.

CONS:

Struggle out of rough. But probably my swing.

Have about 10+ rounds with this Callaway XR Steelhead 4+. Every time I get my bag out and get ready to play, I get excited when I see the Steelhead headcover. Fun club to hit effortles to hit. Do your self a favor and put one of these bad boys in play.

• 2 weeks later...

Interested to hear these reviews. A club many people were excited about prior to release and the buzz has certainly faded quickly. I still love the look of the 3+ but have not had a chance to test it.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Interested to hear these reviews. A club many people were excited about prior to release and the buzz has certainly faded quickly. I still love the look of the 3+ but have not had a chance to test it.

I use to have old steelhead and also v-steel woods. If you've ever played them back in the day, you can probably imagine what you'll get with one. I enjoyed them. That's basically what I got with this but an updated version. Definitely a fun club if you want something other than something to bomb with out of the tee box with the + addition.

I'm not a tester on this, but I have a buddy that is a HUGE Callaway guy. He picked up a new Steelhead 5 wood a few weeks back and absolutely loves it. He thinks its night and day better than his old XR and is going to be picking up a Steelhead 3 wood this weekend. And this is a guy that swaps clubs out no less than every 5 years, so if he's getting rid of a 1 year old 3 wood, it must be quite a bit better.

[color=#A9A9A9][b]Driver:[/b] 2016 TM M1 9.5* / Atmos Black 7 TX
[b]Fairway:[/b] 2017 TM M1 15* / Tensei Pro White 80 TX
[b]Irons:[/b] TM 790 UDI 2 Iron / HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist T-MB 4 Iron / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2's 5-PW / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Wedge:s[/b] Vokey SM6 50.08F, [color=#A9A9A9]56.10S & [color=#A9A9A9]60.08M[/color] [/color] / TT Dynamic Gold S-300
[b]Putter:[/b] TM Spider Tour Black T-Line 34"[/color]

The Epic had many buying fairways earlier this year. Doubt if they're in the mood to buy another unless the Epic is not working. And it's a glued hosel when the "in" thing is to buy adjustable. I get along better with glued heads. For me, these were easier to hit consistently than Epic, more versatile, with mucho yardage, and a piercing mid-high to high trajectory off tee and deck. These were a late summer entry - not exactly buying season. Glad I waited. These are fun.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 2 weeks later...

Did any of the testers put a heavier shaft in it before or during testing? I can't even imagine playing a 60g fw wood shaft...

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

Did any of the testers put a heavier shaft in it before or during testing? I can't even imagine playing a 60g fw wood shaft...

I had the X-stiff that was a 65g shaft. I honestly didn't notice because the swing weight was still D3 because of the heavy steel head. So much so that I actually felt like I could get something up and out of rough. My gamer is so light that I would never consider playing in the rough.

I'm not a tester but have the 4+ with the same 82 gram shaft I've had in my last 3 fw's. I've never had more confidence in a fw from any lie. It's awesome off the tee. Sneaky long, hard to lose left.

I'm not a tester but have the 4+ with the same 82 gram shaft I've had in my last 3 fw's. I've never had more confidence in a fw from any lie. It's awesome off the tee. Sneaky long, hard to lose left.

Thanks Scott! Does it feel overly heavy with the steelhead and the 80+g shaft...or does it have that "hammer" feeling, like you could hit it through a brick wall?

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

Thanks Scott! Does it feel overly heavy with the steelhead and the 80+g shaft...or does it have that "hammer" feeling, like you could hit it through a brick wall?

Not at all melo. If you're used to that weight, you should like it. I think it feels similar (weight wise) to my last 2, which were the m2 hl and 915f.

I'm sure it's mental but the non adjustable just feels so solid to me.

You know when you've nutted it and miss hits feel a little odd but it's hard to see it because it's pretty forgiving.

I thought the same thing. My miss is left and this club doesn't do that. It is very long as well.

RFX 9.5 Tour AD DI 7X
909 F3 15 73x BB
913HD 18 UST AXIVCore Black 104X
712CB 4-5 712 MB 6-PW C-Taper S+
SM4 52 & TVD 60 S400
Cameron Oil Can Newport

• 2 weeks later...

Great reviews!

Is the 3+ the same head size/shape as the standard 3 wood?

Here is what I pulled from their website. I received the 4+. Not sure if there really is much, if any, of a size difference but there is a small weight difference. The other change is the flatter lie angle and slightly shorter shafts in the + version. Suppose to help with playing from varied lies in rough, sand, fairway, and so forth.