Srixon 765 - Perhaps the most underrated player's iron??

Darth_Fader

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are these srixons 1/2" longer than most standard lengths? I picked up a set that is "standard" length but found them to be 1/2" longer than every other set that I have.

https://www.bridgest...ng-forged-irons

https://www.google.c...=v47fddK6FGmnKM:

I've seen the spec sheets. Official numbers are the same as others but I'm now wondering if Srixon measures differently b/c every set i've ever seen that's supposed to be standard has been 1/2" long

are these srixons 1/2" longer than most standard lengths? I picked up a set that is "standard" length but found them to be 1/2" longer than every other set that I have.

I see you play Mizuno irons. I work in the industry and it's a known thing that Mizuno's "standard" length is about 1/4" to 1/2" shorter than "normal" standard. Not sure if all of your other irons have been Mizuno but Srixons would definitely be longer than Mizunos.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I see you play Mizuno irons. I work in the industry and it's a known thing that Mizuno's "standard" length is about 1/4" to 1/2" shorter than "normal" standard. Not sure if all of your other irons have been Mizuno but Srixons would definitely be longer than Mizunos.

Actually, this is an untrue statement. Mizuno simply measures their clubs without the grip which equates to the 1/4" difference.

Actually, this is an untrue statement. Mizuno simply measures their clubs without the grip which equates to the 1/4" difference.

So...if they measure their clubs differently than everyone else, but they say their standard length is "x" while another company's standard length is "y" (keep in mind the standard for most company's would be the "y"), then it would be a known thing that the company that measures their irons as "x" have irons that are 1/4" shorter. Unless we start playing golf without grips. Then they would be standard.

TaylorMade Spider Black

I really need to hit these. Skipped over them because the Z745 was a hook machine in my hands but I should probably give them a try.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

So...if they measure their clubs differently than everyone else, but they say their standard length is "x" while another company's standard length is "y" (keep in mind the standard for most company's would be the "y"), then it would be a known thing that the company that measures their irons as "x" have irons that are 1/4" shorter. Unless we start playing golf without grips. Then they would be standard.

If you hold them side by side with the grips on, most of the OEM players irons are the same....Mizzy just measures their reported specs with the grips off.

Ok. You're saying the same thing I originally said but if it makes you feel better to say it your way I'm good with that.

If I were to order Mizuno irons, I'd have to order them 1.25 inches over standard (just about everyone else I order 1 inch over standard). That means Mizuno is shorter. Ok. Let's carry on with our lives. Srixon Z-765 rules!!!

TaylorMade Spider Black

Have a mixed set of 765/965 in X-Stiff Modus and really like them, the feel of them has never really knocked my socks off but it's not something I look for tbh.

Can flight the ball well with them and gained a few yards over my old S56s probably due to loft but never have any trouble stopping them on greens as I have a high ball flight.

I've been using them since April and they're just quality irons, not really fell in love with them so to say but I never have been that way with golf clubs, I get something and use it for a few years to get my money's worth then if I find something I like more a change, im my 3 years of playing I'm a mercany with clubs so far

Love these irons! Replaced my Callaway Apex '14, and I'm loving the v-sole. Nothing feels better than hitting trap draws with the 4 iron.

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

• 1 year later...

If anyone is looking to move their u65/765/965 combo set or 765/965 with the new release of the 785's i'm in the market!

TaylorMade QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

TaylorMade stealth plus 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Taylormade stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

If anyone is looking to move their u65/765/965 combo set or 765/965 with the new release of the 785's i'm in the market!

I have a set of 765’s 5-pw in the bst

[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][i][i][img]https://static.golfonline.co.uk/media/logos/taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[/img][/i] [size=4][sub][color=#000000][b]2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Silver 70S[/b][/color][/sub][/size][/i][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/ksfSEag.png[/img][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font][/size][/i][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][b][color=#000000]915 F2 16.5[/color][/b] [/i][color=#000000][b][i]Diamana Blue Board 70[/i][/b][/color][/font][/size][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][size=3][color=#000000][img]https://i.imgur.com/ksfSEag.png[/img][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]H1 3 - Aldila Rogue[/font][/color][/size][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][size=4][sub][i][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/iDRdfVu.png[/img][/i] [size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]900 Forged 4-GW Project XLZ 5.5[/color][/font][/size][/i][/sub][/size][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/jWakdRa.png[/img][/i] [/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]54S & 60M X100 [/b][/font][/size][b]SS1[/b][/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font]
[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][i][img]https://i.imgur.com/ZSoHrb9.png[/img][/i][/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4][left][background=transparent][sub][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][i]AOP Newport 2[/i][/i][/font][/sub][/background][/left][/size][/font]

Mine will stay in the bag for yet another season.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

My home course hosted a fairly large junior tournament this weekend. Golfers between 12 and 18 years old for the most part, it appeared. Good players from some of the local, prestigious golf academies. I made a point of checking out their bags to see what they were playing. I saw an awful lot of these irons in play. Probably the most represented brand in all of the bags, surprisingly. There were definitely a fair share of Callaways, titlists, and Taylormade‘s, but the Srixons were very, very popular.

I tried both the 765 and 785 and they felt great...but I have a couple dilemmas.

#1 - I hit the 765s in a half-priced fitting...tried the S400 shafts and Modus 105 stiff. I didn't hit them great with either of those shafts. I then tried the 785s (on a different day) with the Modus 120 stiff and was hitting them GREAT. Loved the look, feel and performance of them. Are the 785s really that different? I imagine the answer is no, and the Modus 120 stiff just fit my swing better.

# 2 - The 765s are ~30% cheaper than the 785s. The only problem is, NEW, I can only find the 765s with the Modus 120 stiff. I swing the 7i ~100mph and fear they may be too soft for my swing.

Decisions.....

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Well, I've just picked up my new set of 785's this very day. My previous set 745/945 combo have done me 4 years and are still in great condition. Over the last few months I've tried most irons from Callaway, Titliest, Ping, Taylormade and Mizuno. Funnily enough my intention 4 years ago was to upgrade from my well used MP53s to a newer Mizuno set. That's where Srixon came in and after trying many irons over many years, I do it for fun, I can honestly say Srixon are in my opinion making the best forged irons out there...especially taking price into account. Over here in Scotland you can get them with almost any shaft at no extra charge.

I tried both the 765 and 785 and they felt great...but I have a couple dilemmas.

#1 - I hit the 765s in a half-priced fitting...tried the S400 shafts and Modus 105 stiff. I didn't hit them great with either of those shafts. I then tried the 785s (on a different day) with the Modus 120 stiff and was hitting them GREAT. Loved the look, feel and performance of them. Are the 785s really that different? I imagine the answer is no, and the Modus 120 stiff just fit my swing better.

# 2 - The 765s are ~30% cheaper than the 785s. The only problem is, NEW, I can only find the 765s with the Modus 120 stiff. I swing the 7i ~100mph and fear they may be too soft for my swing.

Decisions.....

The 785 is a little more compact, more like the 745. Some say the 785 is less forgiving than the 765 but if so it would be slight. The 765 probably has a little higher MOI due to larger profile.

They are pretty similar in most respects. Srixon refined the v-sole on the 785. Overall I think they have improved it with the changes, which may or may not be substantial enough to give you a performance difference. I plan to game the 785 in upcoming season. I think it’s a great iron, just the right size. And I really like the set gap wedge.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I’m still loving my 765s.

I’ve been reading a few of the threads about the 785s and of course they look great, but I have no desire to change......which is strange!

There seem to be a lot of people who don’t like the shape of the 765s, but I love them. They may be a little larger than some, but I honestly doubt there’s a more forgiving iron of that size - it still amazes me how I get away with some of the shots I hit with them!

I’m 2 years in and love them as much as I did on the day they arrived.

I still haven’t played with another person who’s had them in their bag.............they just don’t seem to be that common in the UK which gets people asking about them!

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

Decisions.....

There is about 20g difference between a s400 and modus 105, that could have been your issue. If you hit the 785 well with the Modus 120S why wouldn't that work with the 765? That being said a 100mph 7i would prob fit a X or TX better.

I hit these indoors today. Are they as long on the course as in the simulator? I'm currently playing MP18 MBs, and the 765s were a solid club longer. Seemed to launch and spin lower than most players irons. Is that consistent with what others have found?

Yes lofts are slightly stronger with these compared to other irons in the same category. Also TXG did a great video on these irons and said these are perfect for the player trying to reduce some spin. But at the same time, if you are already a low spin player you should probably steer clear of them.

I hit these indoors today. Are they as long on the course as in the simulator? I'm currently playing MP18 MBs, and the 765s were a solid club longer. Seemed to launch and spin lower than most players irons. Is that consistent with what others have found?

Yes lofts are slightly stronger with these compared to other irons in the same category. Also TXG did a great video on these irons and said these are perfect for the player trying to reduce some spin. But at the same time, if you are already a low spin player you should probably steer clear of them.

That's actually music to my ears.

I haven't hit these outdoors and likely won't have the option without purchasing. Is the v-sole hit or miss, or is it pretty well liked by all?

I’m still loving my 765s.

I’ve been reading a few of the threads about the 785s and of course they look great, but I have no desire to change......which is strange!

There seem to be a lot of people who don’t like the shape of the 765s, but I love them. They may be a little larger than some, but I honestly doubt there’s a more forgiving iron of that size - it still amazes me how I get away with some of the shots I hit with them!

I’m 2 years in and love them as much as I did on the day they arrived.

I am in the same boat! Still shocked by the forgiveness of the 765s. My iron play has never been better. I did replace the PW, but the 5/6/7 engender supreme confidence in me.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W