Directed Force...who still likes it?

ferrispgm

Ok...so after shooting 72 and missing 2 birdies and an eagle inside of 5 ft and three 3 putts.....I'm ready to ditch my putter....been heavily considering the Directed Force as I know it got pretty popular on here a little while ago....My question is who still uses and likes it? My only concern is the initial honeymoon period that seems to happen with most clubs. I posted on the instruction forum since it was talked about quite a bit on here.

Thanks to all!

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I am still using and love my DF putter. Unlike others, I didn't have great success with the putter when I first got it. For me, it took some time to get used to the Press Grip and distance control on lag putts. But once I got these 2 items down, I have been putting a lot better. I am a lot more confident inside 10 feet and have dropped the number of 3 putts per round.

According to Taylormade, the DF is extremely low MOI and is terrible on off-centered strikes. Everyone who owns one hasn't experienced this at all, but just thought you should know.

• Haha 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info.

I feel like the only guy on the forums who didn't like this putter. For me distance control was brutal, the oval grip had me setup open w left hand low and I got sick of getting asked about it every round because it is not only so ugly but so damn large. I have my 35" 69 deg collecting dust in the garage so if if that happens to be your fit PM me.

I committed to it for the whole season and that turned out to be a no brainer by May. Some minor issues with my setup getting off kilter (thanks Monte for fixing) but no hint of desire to grab any old favorites or try something else. Score wasn't great overall but went eagle, birdie on 17 and 18 at my home course last week for first time ever - key = two big and accurate drives - for me anyway, and again thanks Monte, great little soft pitch from pin high left on 18, yet again thanks Monte and two clutch putts from about 8 feet and 4 feet. So much confidence and distance control hasn't been an issue for me. Still get strange looks - love it!

Stick it in the sand and you get a branding iron looking "10" or Bar Zero? Not really relevant, but something I noticed.

I really really really don't like the Press Grip. There, I said it. The oval grip just doesn't sit well in my hands. I like the tech behind it, but I'm just not a fan of that. I tried putting a superstroke on it a few months back, liked the look, but didn't get along with it. I'm trying that experiment again. Played a round yesterday with a slim 3.0 on it, and putted lights out.

I honestly can't make my mind up about it.

I just sold mine on EBay. Like Schnee I hated the press grip.

Putted all of last year and beginning of this year, never really made a difference in my putting.

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

I really enjoy it.

Ever since Monte's clinic my hands aren't so low, so I putting with it severely toe down right now. I feel this is screwing up some of the tech behind it and every once in awhile I miss a stupid short one.

That said, I think that's definitely fixable -- I just can't afford a new putter right now and it kills me to buy another one of the same for a different lie angle. In any case, I found it helps me most on the longer putts. I like the super balanced feel of it.

Have been using it this season and I expect to still use it next season -- and hopefully get a better lie angle, when I can afford it. :( Wish they came in different colors.

Name drop Monte for sure.

According to Taylormade, the DF is extremely low MOI and is terrible on off-centered strikes. Everyone who owns one hasn't experienced this at all, but just thought you should know.

It's possible that TM has an agenda?

Here's a SAM lab video that comes to somewhat different conclusions, though not in regards to off-center strikes.

And here's the review from this website, which says the MOI is very high. I don't have the numbers for the MOI, but I'm trying to imagine how a head shape like the DF could NOT have at least a reasonably high MOI. (The head shape is NOT where the lie angle balancing comes from, btw)

http://www.golfwrx.com/362752/review-directed-force-putters/

I've found the DF to be great technology, but I putt face on, so off-center strikes don't cause me too much concern. That said, I've not noticed a problem with off-center hits vs. other putters I've used, both before and after I converted to face on. And I used a LOT of different putters, both before and after!

IF a player has a solid putting stroke, it's hard for me to imagine a putter that is technologically superior to what DF is doing. It's that good.

Best putter I have ever used. I've had it in the bag longer than anyone in here, and its not going anywhere. Going to go meet up with Bill this week and have her tuned up. I've had mine since brie the official launch. I bought it from their first test account back in 2015.

That was when I was working for another OEM. Hands down, best putter I've ever used.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

Putted all of last year and beginning of this year, never really made a difference in my putting.

Has the ER2 made a difference? I'm loving mine, and from what I can gather, the lie balanced, light weight DF sounds like the complete opposite style of putter.

I bought one and was professionally fitted for it a few wks back. While I love the way it rolls the ball, I've had 2 issues with it: 1) as others have stated, distance control on longer putts has been an issue for me (strangely comes up short on a lot of long putts even tho the head is huge) and 2) I'm not confident over short putts w the DF putter (I think it again related to the size of the head).

I'm a bit conflicted at this stage about sell it and stick w my TM Spyder or keep at it w the DF. Funny part is when you miss a putt w a normal putter most people don't say much. When you miss with something that looks like the DF people are like "damn, get rid of that thing"! Kinda kills the confidence!!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your feedback...I'm so used to a newport 2 style putter I'm always a little hesitant to go towards a mallet style as I feel like I have a harder time squaring the face with a mallet. I think i'm going to give it a try though. Seems like the tech/concept is pretty solid and the feedback overall has been pretty positive. I was a little concerned about the press grip shape as well but I know you can switch that out too.

Thank you everyone for your feedback...I'm so used to a newport 2 style putter I'm always a little hesitant to go towards a mallet style as I feel like I have a harder time squaring the face with a mallet. I think i'm going to give it a try though. Seems like the tech/concept is pretty solid and the feedback overall has been pretty positive. I was a little concerned about the press grip shape as well but I know you can switch that out too.

That is the exact putter I graduated from.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Found the putter to almost enhance bad/mediocre/average strokes and aid in putting a much better end over end roll on the ball. Almost gives you a Professional type roll without 3 hours of putting practice a day. The thing I did not like is the face is so huge almost hard to narrow focus down to the middle as your brain senses such a large surface. That in turn could affect start line if you went slightly out on the toe or heel. Really wish they would expand their product line and offer some other head shapes.

Here's a SAM lab video that comes to somewhat different conclusions, though not in regards to off-center strikes.

And here's the review from this website, which says the MOI is very high. I don't have the numbers for the MOI, but I'm trying to imagine how a head shape like the DF could NOT have at least a reasonably high MOI. (The head shape is NOT where the lie angle balancing comes from, btw)

I've found the DF to be great technology, but I putt face on, so off-center strikes don't cause me too much concern. That said, I've not noticed a problem with off-center hits vs. other putters I've used, both before and after I converted to face on. And I used a LOT of different putters, both before and after!

IF a player has a solid putting stroke, it's hard for me to imagine a putter that is technologically superior to what DF is doing. It's that good.

My joke was meant as a joke about Taylormade's obvious agenda. It was funny reading about the guys at the Taylormade trip who asked the engineers about the DF. "Well it's lie angle balanced, so the club face will rotate easily on off centre hits". Schnee can correct me, but I remember reading that they actually tested it on a machine and it didn't demonstrate low MOI. Might not have been on the trip, but I feel I read it at some point (possibly one of the links you posted that I didn't read).

I've never actually used the putter, but the concept makes sense. If I didn't armlock, I'd probably give the DF a go. The tech just makes sense.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

My joke was meant as a joke about Taylormade's obvious agenda. It was funny reading about the guys at the Taylormade trip who asked the engineers about the DF. "Well it's lie angle balanced, so the club face will rotate easily on off centre hits". Schnee can correct me, but I remember reading that they actually tested it on a machine and it didn't demonstrate low MOI. Might not have been on the trip, but I feel I read it at some point (possibly one of the links you posted that I didn't read).

I've never actually used the putter, but the concept makes sense. If I didn't armlock, I'd probably give the DF a go. The tech just makes sense.

This is correct. The fitter at TM told me that the Directed Force is TOO balanced and that it's susceptible to massive variations on off center hits and is low MOI because it spins so freely. I respectfully say that that's malarkey. You can hit it dead off the heel or toe and it still starts on line.

Has the ER2 made a difference? I'm loving mine, and from what I can gather, the lie balanced, light weight DF sounds like the complete opposite style of putter.

Nope, ER2 hasn't made much of a difference. I wish the DF felt heavier

I have only putted 2 rounds with ER2, love the feel of the evnroll Putter and weight (385 g head with 117 g grip)

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

http://www.golfwrx.c...-force-putters/

Oops; sorry! My humor gene didn't come on this morning, it would appear!

My biggest issure withbit has been the white line on top. When the sun angle is right you get a wired glare off it. I'm going to paint it a different color that won't reflect light.

THIS!!

I have the same thing which is that nasty glare off any putt in the sunshine with a silver sightline that's about the worst possible material for the line. They put so much high tech into the club but didn't give sight lines much consideration??

That being said, I think the just released heads have been modified to address the issue (unsure what that means for current owners).

I just sent my video in for the fitting this morning. I will be awaiting with cautious optimism which is way better than the anxious pessimism i have been having on the greens lately lol

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, Bill Presse IV here. The new 2.1 has a lasered T instead of machining it into the top line which completely eliminates glare. It also has a slightly softer tip which is providing more pop off the face to dramatically improve distance control. If you do own a 1.0 you can send it in and we will reshaft, reweight, regrip and rebalance it for $100+shipping each way, essentially making it a 2.0 ...I've been watching these threads for the last few years and LISTENING to your feedback and comments. The 2.1 is a culmination of performance improvements based on your feedback and constructive criticism and I just want to personally say thanks to those that have been honest about their experience with DFP. We have chosen to sponsor GolfWRX for a 'trial period' to see how it goes and also allow me to get on here and respond to your questions and comments. Thanks again for the continued support, fire away and I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner. Cheers

Yeah it's an open ended offer. Looking at a post above I see the kingdom mentioned. I was made aware of things being said and recently communicated with Mr. Price personally. No putter on this planet can sniff the DFP performance on off center hits. I made a little video recently to address this topic(which I sent to Mr. Price at TM) and hopefully provide some education about the real physics and reality of putters to the lads at the kingdom. Who knows maybe the spyder will make a staring role in my next Revealer video?

• Haha 1

Hello everyone, Bill Presse IV here. The new 2.1 has a lasered T instead of machining it into the top line which completely eliminates glare. It also has a slightly softer tip which is providing more pop off the face to dramatically improve distance control. If you do own a 1.0 you can send it in and we will reshaft, reweight, regrip and rebalance it for $50. Essentially making it a 2.0 ...I've been watching these threads for the last few years and LISTENING to your feedback and comments. The 2.1 is a culmination of performance improvements based on your feedback and constructive criticism and I just want to personally say thanks to those that have been honest about their experience with DFP. We have chosen to sponsor GolfWRX for a 'trial period' to see how it goes and also allow me to get on here and respond to your questions and comments. Thanks again for the continued support, fire away and I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner. Cheers

I have a first edition DF putter and would agree about the glare.

What are the major differences between the 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1? If I send my 1.0 back, how do I get a 2.1 model?