2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

KB Tour Shafts

pitbull808

If Kenny Perry wins today a lot of people will be asking "what are those shafts with the blood red band he's playing?"

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've have been playing Tour Flighted Rifle 5.5's and I want to play a little heavier shaft. I was interested in the KBS Tour shafts (or Black Nickel version....hmmmmmmm?) in a regular/.5" tipped.

Any opinions on any of these shafts and how a regular/.5" tipped KBS stack up against a Project X 5.0 or DGR300 .5" tipped?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Actuall the 5.5 Flighted Rifle's are heavier than the KBS Tour Stiffs. 123 vs. 120 grams. Not a big difference but the KBS Tours definitely feel lighter because they're counter balanced. Keep that in mind when you install as you'll lose 1-2 SW points. That beign said, the KBS Tours are easier to load and a smoother shaft.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

I've have been playing Tour Flighted Rifle 5.5's and I want to play a little heavier shaft. I was interested in the KBS Tour shafts (or Black Nickel version....hmmmmmmm?) in a regular/.5" tipped.

Any opinions on any of these shafts and how a regular/.5" tipped KBS stack up against a Project X 5.0 or DGR300 .5" tipped?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Actuall the 5.5 Flighted Rifle's are heavier than the KBS Tour Stiffs. 123 vs. 120 grams. Not a big difference but the KBS Tours definitely feel lighter because they're counter balanced. Keep that in mind when you install as you'll lose 1-2 SW points. That beign said, the KBS Tours are easier to load and a smoother shaft.

What I'd heard about PX's is Rifle made them for Phil because he is known to want the boardiest feeling shaft possible, and they were never intended for mass production. But when Sergio got them in a lower frequency Rifle decided to put a fancy shaft band on and market them generally. The KBS however is the shaft Rifle's chief designer Kim really wanted to make all along for everyone else.

I went from DGS300 to KBS 6.5 soft stepped to 6.0 ... perfect for me. still feels like a good amount of weight which i need, and also very solid at impact. best thing is the ball flight -- medium high and flat .....yummy!

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• 1 month later...

TSG is tourspecg..f

I'm getting my new irons next week with the KBS Tour black nickel 5.5 hard-stepped. The irons are Vega's 50th anniversary blades. I really have a hard time sleeping as I want to hit them so bad. This past season I've played Epon 301/501 combo with Nippon NS 1150 GH in a stiff flex but felt they were way too weak. Not necessarily because I swing all that hard, but because I've always played stiffer shafts than I'm supposed to. For me, accuracy is a ton more important than distance so if I loose a club in distance but gain in accuracy, I'm perfectly happy. When I've played a few rounds with them I'll post a review.

• 1 month later...

Just saw KBS launched a facebook page at www.facebook.com/kbsshafts where you can post questions/comments to the FST team. Good place to get some feedback on questions or performance comments. They're also trying to run promotions through the page. Someone scored some brand new Black Nickel wedges last week...

KBS Tours are excellent. Got 'em in a set of Ping I10's. Couldn't be happier.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jones137' post='1623140' date='Apr 12 2009, 06:12 AM'][quote name='fairwayhunter31' post='1618504' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:00 AM']I've have been playing Tour Flighted Rifle 5.5's and I want to play a little heavier shaft. I was interested in the KBS Tour shafts (or Black Nickel version....hmmmmmmm?) in a regular/.5" tipped.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

Actuall the 5.5 Flighted Rifle's are heavier than the KBS Tour Stiffs. 123 vs. 120 grams. Not a big difference but [b]the KBS Tours definitely feel lighter because they're counter balanced[/b]. Keep that in mind when you install as you'll lose 1-2 SW points. That beign said, the KBS Tours are easier to load and a smoother shaft.
[/quote]

According to KBS wesite, the shafts aren't counter balanced:

A6. This is a common misconception about the KBS series. The KBS design maintains a consistent amount of steel at any point along the length of the shaft. This is incorporated into the proportional diameter and wall thickness design. Common practice in the industry is to place additional material in the tip section reinforcing the tip. KBS does not do this nor put extra material in the butt section. Comparatively, the KBS series has a higher center of gravity allowing more mass to be placed in the head of a KBS shafted club. This is a desirable feature for more stability and shot accuracy.

Handicap:  3

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Perfect shaft for me. DG s300 is a little heavy and a bit hard to load, but KBS tour stiff is perfect for my swing. This shaft with the Taylormade Tour preferred 2009 irons is perfect match, flush shots feel like forged clubs. Mishits are still soft in your hands even when I hit it thin! I hit farther a bit too!
I don't know what they put in this shaft, but they add the magic that make me love to hit my irons!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely hated these things. After suffering some major injuries (hitting a tree root) and then having to have surgery on my elbow and wrist to rectify the damage, I felt I wanted to make the game a little easier. Traded my Cally X Forged with DG X100 tipped in for a set of Adams A04's with KBS Stiffs. Played a few rounds trying to get used to them but after playing one round where I hit 0 (zero, zilch, naddas) greens in regulation, I dumped these things and went back to the Cally's with the X100's.

I am still battling with the injury and the X100's play a little too stiff and heavy for me. So I have been trying everything and it still comes back to the fact that the DG is the best shaft for me but in S300 now.

Really wanted to like the KBS's especially since my countryman Ernie Els plays with them and after giving them a chance they just weren't right for me.

The Cally's are being replaced next weekend with either a set of Cobra S3 Pro's or Ping S56's with DG S300's.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='neslo' timestamp='1314035130' post='3509856']
Got KBS Tour's Stiff flex fitted into my Vega's. Hard stepped them and they play great. Flight is just what I want and distance is consistent. Feel superb with forged Vega heads.
[/quote]

What flight did u get from hard stepping? Did u notice a stiffer/heavier feel? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with these...let me know, thanks!

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe it was the irons and not the shafts..

[quote name='Clubnut99' timestamp='1313873058' post='3505336']
Absolutely hated these things. After suffering some major injuries (hitting a tree root) and then having to have surgery on my elbow and wrist to rectify the damage, I felt I wanted to make the game a little easier. Traded my Cally X Forged with DG X100 tipped in for a set of Adams A04's with KBS Stiffs. Played a few rounds trying to get used to them but after playing one round where I hit 0 (zero, zilch, naddas) greens in regulation, I dumped these things and went back to the Cally's with the X100's.

I am still battling with the injury and the X100's play a little too stiff and heavy for me. So I have been trying everything and it still comes back to the fact that the DG is the best shaft for me but in S300 now.

Really wanted to like the KBS's especially since my countryman Ernie Els plays with them and after giving them a chance they just weren't right for me.

The Cally's are being replaced next weekend with either a set of Cobra S3 Pro's or Ping S56's with DG S300's.
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm gaming KBS tour S+ in my 712 mbs and tvd sm4s. Best shafts I've swung. Glad I changed my rifles out.

In the bag:

Ping G410 Plus 9* Tensei Pro White 60TX
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ 80TX
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron AD-DI 95X
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM7 52F & 56S S400
Vokey TVD 60M KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB8 
------------------------------------------------------
Backup Putters:
Scotty Detour Newport 2 Conversion / Scotty 5W Weld Neck / Taylormade Spider Tour

• 8 months later...

Anybody compare the C-taper 130 x flex vs the X100 DG? I have the C-taper 120g currently in the Apex irons. The 120G c-tapers balloon on me. I've always been an X100 guy. I want to give c-taper a chance. Should I move up to the C-taper 130 or go back to X100? I guess my question is on average which launches lower? C-taper 130 or x100?

• 4 months later...

I'm still trying to get a handle on the difference between KBS Tour stiffs and Project X 5.5s. The KBS shafts feel a little "whippy" to me but some might say "active". The Project Xs just feel more solid overall. I have tried the PXs in my Ping G2s and the KBSs in Ping I3+ and I5s. It seems like I'm on my way to liking them both somehow. In comparison, the DG S300s I have in a set of I15s feel too heavy to me and definitely not in the same class as the two shafts above.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Callaway Big Bertha Mini 1.5[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Callaway X2 Hot 25*[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Ping I25s 5-GW[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Ping Eye 2 XG 56, 60[/size][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Edel E-2[/size][/font]

I bought a set of Miura baby blades 6 years ago and had 'KB Tour' extra stiff (soft stepped once) shafts put in. I play about 60 to 80 rounds of golf a year. They performed just like I thought they would and I was very happy. Then in the 2nd year the 6 iron shaft broke right at the point where the shaft entered the hosel. The head went flying through the air for about 50 yards. I was lucky no one was in front or they might have been hit. I had a new shaft put in and played on. This last week the 7 iron broke in exactly the same place. This time I wasn't so lucky as the head went into the lake in front of me. The really weird thing about both circumstances is that both times the ball was struck near perfect. Now you can bet I'm worried it might happen again and I don't want to lose any more club heads at nearly $250 a piece. I don't know if I'll get my 7 iron head back. So now I'm thinking I have to change out the rest of the shafts to something else. What a drag cause they do work well.

• 1 year later...

I just got a set of tp mb's and with the tour 120. I was fit for an x flex however with a muscle back design stiff was good enough for me. I really like these shafts incredibly workable. I can hit knock down shots without worrying about loading the shaft they just seem to work for me. I take a pretty aggressive pass at the ball. I have a set of x100's and I like the x100's but I have to be swinging very smooth with a softer transition this shaft I can do both.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just put the kbs tour x in my MB's played one round with them so far and really like them. I was using s300 in my ap2 irons and they were just spinning so much i had to make a change. Love the lower penetrating ball flight. Only thing i thought was odd is that the club head felt really light. Took some getting used to.

Titleist TSI3 10* / Ventus black 6X 
Titleist Hybrid 818 / Tensei white 90X
Titleist T-100 3-P / Modus tour 130X
Titleist SM8 chrome 50/10 wedge
Titleist SM8 chrome 54/14 wedge
Titleist SM8 black 60/8 wedge
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5