2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Sand Valley

Phreddy

Has anyone booked reservations for Sand Valley on short notice this year? We're looking into a 1 night stayover in late August and I wanted to see if anyone had issues booking reservations a month out.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Has anyone booked reservations for Sand Valley on short notice this year? We're looking into a 1 night stayover in late August and I wanted to see if anyone had issues booking reservations a month out.

I booked 3 days out, we had the second tee time of the day.

Ok good deal thanks that is good to hear. We're actually coming through and finishing up a business trip and planning on staying overnight Tuesday, playing Wednesday morning and flying out Wednesday night and was wondering if anyone had trouble booking overnight stays on short notice.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Took a day trip to Sand Valley on Sat. Drove up in the morning from Milwaukee with a 7:50 tee time. First off, its like stepping out of WI once you get there. You're driving through the forests, then you get on property everything opens up and sand everywhere. Nothing else like it in WI that I have seen so far. The course is beautiful and the staff are exemplary. We opted out of a caddy. This would have been a big mistake had we not been paired up with another twosome who had caddies. Lots of blind shots and if you don't know the course routing its pretty easy to struggle to find the next tee box. This course played really tough for me personally. I am not used to the extremely tight fairways. I think it got in my head and every single iron shot I hit was thin. I think this is definitely a course I will play better on next time out. However, even playing bad I really enjoyed the round and the course. Wisconsin really does have some great golf for being a northern state. I ended up shooting an awful 91, but I did birdie the Par 3 third hole. I will say that the course was amazing and I will be back. However, I can't say I felt the value was there. I would really prefer to see this course in the $150 range. I'm not sure I believe it warrants over $200. Given that, I will be back once Mammoth Dunes is fully open.

So, we did end up getting paired with a twosome. It was a 17 year old kid and his dad that had flown out from Philly for the weekend to play Sand Valley and Whistling Straits. They were really nice and right out the first tee we knew the kid was good. He played from the tips and we played one tee box up (orange tees). The kid drove the green right off the bat. We get up to the green and the kids caddie comes over and tells me we are in for a treat today. He tells me the kid is a +4 handicap and is on a full ride to Stanford for golf. Watching this kid play was unbelievable. The sound the ball made coming of the club was unlike anything I've ever seen. On one hole he had 140yards left to the green. Kid drills a gap wedge and is left with a 3 foot birdie putt. I believe he ended up shooting -4 for the round. I get home and decide to do some research on the kid. I figured since he was going to Stanford he had to be pretty good. Apparently he's one of the best juniors in the country right now. His name is Nate Menon. Pretty cool to end up paired with someone like that.

Since this was a day trip and such a long drive we decided to hit Lawsonia Links for a twilight round on the way back. This was the first time playing and the course was really good. It was is amazing shape and was a really enjoyable round. This is more of my type of course and all the struggles I had at Sand Valley disappeared and I was back to good form. Ended up going 41 38 for a 79. Not a bad day for golf.

I'm planning an eight day (seven rounds of golf) trip to Wis next year. Here is what I'm thinking;

Fly into O'hare and drive to Sand Valley for the night.

Play Sand Valley, then drive to Green Lake for the night.

Play Lawsonia then drive to Kohler for the rest of the week including Erin Hills, The Bull and Kohler courses.

My question; is it worth the drive to play Sand Valley and Lawsonia?

I'm planning an eight day (seven rounds of golf) trip to Wis next year. Here is what I'm thinking;

Play Lawsonia then drive to Kohler for the rest of the week including Erin Hills, The Bull and Kohler courses.

I did a similar trip a few weeks ago, what I would recommend is flying into O'hare. Driving up to Madison and playing University Ridge. It is about half way so it breaks up the trip. From there you can stay in Madison or continue to SV (easy drive). SV to Lawsonia was about 1.5 hours and Lawsonia to Sheboygan was about the same.

There will be varying opinions on if it is worth it. I believe it is. Sand Valley is a very unique course for the area as is Lawsonia. Any questions feel free to reach out via DM.

Definitely worth the drive for those two courses, though part of the charm of Sand Valley is hanging around the grounds, soaking it in and enjoying the food. SV is a fun course but it's kind of a shame to rush in and rush out.

EDIT: I see you are staying overnight at SV. Good call.

Lawsonia is one of my favorite courses. Right there with Arcadia Bluffs for golf enjoyment (by the way, have you played AB yet?), and though Lawsonia doesn't have the visual grandeur of AB, it is very pleasing in it's own right.

I would say it is worth it as well. Sand Valley is a unique course probably for this part of the country, not just the area. Lawsonia is definitely worth the trip. I'd play Lawsonia over the Bull any day. The Bull is good, but played a couple weeks ago and the greens are in horrendous shape. Sentry World is in the area as well.

Definitely worth the drive for those two courses, though part of the charm of Sand Valley is hanging around the grounds, soaking it in and enjoying the food. SV is a fun course but it's kind of a shame to rush in and rush out.

EDIT: I see you are staying overnight at SV. Good call.

Lawsonia is one of my favorite courses. Right there with Arcadia Bluffs for golf enjoyment (by the way, have you played AB yet?), and though Lawsonia doesn't have the visual grandeur of AB, it is very pleasing in it's own right.

I'm playing AB for the first time on Aug 20.

I just got back from SV. Flew into ORD, spent the night in MKE. Next morning drove to SV, played 18 then Mammoth 9. Had dinner then putted on the lit up holes on Mammoth putting green for 1.5 hours.

Next day, 36 on SV then drove 1.5 hours to hotel near Lawsonia. Played Lawsonia next morning and drove 2.5 hours to ORD to fly home.

SV is a special place. The facilities, service, lodging and food were A+++. Once the 3 courses and the par 3 are open, it will be an annual destination for me.

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

Just returned yesterday from a few days in Wisconsin

Definitely include Sand Valley if your schedule permits. It is going to be a serious golf destination in the years/decades to come--you're an "early adopter"! If you can fit in the "preview 9" at Mammoth Dunes make sure to play it--5 holes from front, 4 from back nine. If anything, potentially even more dramatic than SV (opinion).

I have lived not more than a couple hours from Madison for 20+ years and never played University Ridge until this week. I absolutely loved it, especially the back nine (wooded vs prairie front nine). I would have it on the list if possible. Senior Tour stop and Wisc badgers home course.

Edit--for me, I would put URidge over the Bull on the schedule...but it is just course type preference.

Just played Sand Valley last weekend and it definitely has the potential to become a destination golf course in the Midwest! I made the journey to Bandon in early June this year and you can definitely see the similarities and not just in course design. The overall feel of Sand Valley is identical to Bandon. The trip is about golf and enjoying good company, and not much else (as it should be in my opinion). I may be in the minority here, but I wasn't as big of a fan of Mammoth Dunes as many seem to be. I had HUGE expectations after playing Bandon Dunes, and while the design is visually beautiful, the damn fairways are just too big. I could be crazy, but there were several holes where my opponents sprayed tee shots 50 yards off line, but somehow ended up in a random sliver of a fairway (maybe I'm just bitter because I shot even par and still lost my game). Anyway, I can see Mammoth being the course to play with a few drinks in hand as you can get around it in a fairly stress free manner (at least so far). Sand Valley is a winner though, some great golf holes, especially the Par 5 7th and 18th.

Heading there on Sunday morning. Playing Sunday morning, then Mammoth on Sunday late afternoon then playing Sand Valley again on Monday. Excited for the trip. I have a 'pro' caddy for the first round Sunday morning, think I should take him again for the Monday round? Was thinking about saving the money and using my push cart.

Heading there on Sunday morning. Playing Sunday morning, then Mammoth on Sunday late afternoon then playing Sand Valley again on Monday. Excited for the trip. I have a 'pro' caddy for the first round Sunday morning, think I should take him again for the Monday round? Was thinking about saving the money and using my push cart.

I would just wait until after your round on Sunday to decide on the caddie. Personally I think one round would give you a good feel for the lay out but I always like to take a caddie.

I would just wait until after your round on Sunday to decide on the caddie. Personally I think one round would give you a good feel for the lay out but I always like to take a caddie.

Sounds right.

Turfman, how do the fees break down for replays when you toss Mammoth in the mix? And I assume there is no replay rate for coming in, in the afternoon, and playing in the evening then 1st thing the next morning?

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone heard if this first full season at SV is living up to expectations from the number of rounds and lodging occupancy perspectives? The product in terms of quality is there, but I'm curious to what extent the market exists. Though I've read some criticisms of the SV course (and I have some of my own) the overall golf experience was fun. Early comments regarding the Mammoth Dunes course have been very positive. Also, I hope they are able to hang on to their chef, as the dining experience almost outshone the golf.

AMAZING Trip....Top 5 course for me for the experience. Whistling Straights, Erin Hills, Kiawah Island Ocean, Sand Hills and now Sand Valley. We were up there and played during the US OPEN week at Erin Hills. My buddy and I each got a caddy but 1 could have easily handled both bags. We didn't know when booking.

I grew up in the Madison area now live in Omaha and never in my life had i seen the dunes landscape of Wisconsin. Impeccable piece of property.

Played 6 of the Mammouth course that was not even marked and met David McClay Kidd (he gave us hole yardages). He was checking in on the property and doing a video on the course and my buddy walked up to him to introduce us. Nice guy and spent a good 15 minutes with us talking about the project and golf in general.

If i can figure out how to post pics on this forum I will share some.

Freaking awesome!

Wilson V6 4-G DGS300 AMT
Callaway Mack Daddy 54, 58
Callaway Epic SZ 10.5*
Callaway Epic 3 wood
Callaway x2 Hot Hybrid 18*
Bettinardi BB40

AMAZING Trip....Top 5 course for me for the experience. Whistling Straights, Erin Hills, Kiawah Island Ocean, Sand Hills and now Sand Valley. We were up there and played during the US OPEN week at Erin Hills. My buddy and I each got a caddy but 1 could have easily handled both bags. We didn't know when booking.

I grew up in the Madison area now live in Omaha and never in my life had i seen the dunes landscape of Wisconsin. Impeccable piece of property.

Played 6 of the Mammouth course that was not even marked and met David McClay Kidd (he gave us hole yardages). He was checking in on the property and doing a video on the course and my buddy walked up to him to introduce us. Nice guy and spent a good 15 minutes with us talking about the project and golf in general.

If i can figure out how to post pics on this forum I will share some.

Freaking awesome!

Do you know when the entire Mammoth course will be open for play?

• 2 weeks later...

As an FYI - I just rang up SV to book some rounds in October and they will be leaving Mammoth as 9 holes this autumn, contrary to the website.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It was interesting to see Mike Kaiser was spending the advertising dollars to promote Sand Valley during the BMW Championship. I guess the Wisconsin legislature had good reason to allocate the funds to upgrade the local airport and make it more private jet worthy.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

For those that have been there - is it right to assume Rickshaws are the pushcarts they use?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

For those that have been there - is it right to assume Rickshaws are the pushcarts they use?

Nope. They wanted to do something authentic similar to what Kohler has done in bringing over sheep from Ireland to graze the course so they actually brought in authentic rickshaws from Asian with non English speaking Asian people manning them. You hop on with your bag and they run you all over the course. It's pretty cool.

As an FYI - I just rang up SV to book some rounds in October and they will be leaving Mammoth as 9 holes this autumn, contrary to the website.

Interestingly, I just got an email from Sand Valley saying '33 holes' are now open for play. Think I need to ring them up again, as that would be pretty awesome!

F.T.

I was up there last week and was able to play all of the ‘playable’ holes. I got out on 6 holes of the par three course. That thing is going to be so much fun when it’s all opened up. You will be able to hit any club from each tee (or at least the 6 I played). Many drinks will be consumed along with lots of money lost on that course.

As for Mammoth.... last year I took a UTV around the layout and got super excited for the 9 not many people have seen. It surpassed all of my expectations. 6-14 are unreal. 11-13 absolutely blew my mind (even though they had just hydroseeded these holes so I didn’t play or walk in the fairways of these holes) you can tell they will be special. Sand Valley is going to be one hell of a resort when it’s all over with.

Thanks for the info. So that's how they got to 33, by counting the par 3 holes, not more on Mammoth. Makes sense. Thanks!

F.T.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back from Wisconsin Monday night and it was well worth the trip!

Played 3 rounds on Sand Valley and 1 round on Mammoth (1-5, 15-18). Got absolutely dumped on for 4 holes on Mammoth and spits and starts for 4/5 holes on Sand Valley, otherwise the weather was fine, chilly, and windy.

After being in South Carolina the previous weekend, it was a joy to leave 80F/90%+ humidity behind, even for morning lows of 40. It was also neat to see the red and orange trees and just the general feeling of Autumn, which I don't otherwise get anymore.

At the course it was fantastic to have drives roll out and not hit and stick - or even back up - as they did in S.C. The course definitely plays as firm and fast as a new course can. Being able to sling drives off hills and hit speed slots is fun and playing the contours and the mounds (some subtle, some not subtle in the least) on approach shots does lend the course a heathlands/linksy feel.

It's C&C, so the templates are there: a driveable 4, a short 3 with a precarious (too much so?) green, 'easy' long 3, a split-fairway 5, wide fairways, and the rest of it. As a fan of theirs you just hope they do have a different twist to it, here vs there, and they seem to.

It plays firm by nature, but the greens being new were well firm and fast. Playing three rounds obviously made a load of difference though and the my pace improved loads. The conditions of the tees, fairways were very good for this time of year.

Only negatives is I've never seen so many foot prints in bunkers at a highish end resort before. Bunkers are hazards, but it was muni-like, and maybe in season it's less prominent. The non-pro/A1 caddies were friendly and good mannered, but not sure they gave the best advice or lines. I hoofed my own bag while there (Rickshaws and a couple 3-wheelers), but just my impression from some of the things I heard while standing around on the tee or greens.

Overall once the second 18 is open it makes a week in Wisconsin at SV, Lawsonia, Kohler, and EH about all you'd need in the world of golf :)

View of the Par 4 6th, from the 5th tee:

Driveable (in the right conditions) Par 4 9th:

Par 4 15th:

Par 5 10th, from the SV snack shack:

Par 5 18th in the foreground, with the Par 4 16th and Par 3 17th in the background:

Phone was dying when we played Mammoth, so no pics of it. The 9 holes that were open were fun. The Par 3 4th and Par 4 5th were my two favorites and hopefully they are part of a larger stretch of fantastic holes.

F.T.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Mammoth Dunes opens May 31 and The Sandbox opens May 1st. I need to make a trip and play these courses. Heard nothing but fantastic things!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 5 weeks later...