2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Equipment contract changes for PGA Tour Pros 2017/18

ronster

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3-4 years ago, multiple club companies would throw a brinks truck at Justin Thomas. In today's climate though, it seems the days of big money deals are close to being over. He should stick with what works in Titleist, and try to make his money on other sponsorships (clothing, off-course, etc) and on the course.

The "stars" are still signing huge contracts............Rory's 100 million dollar deal with Taylormade certainly being the biggest example. Justin Thomas became one of the elite players in the game this year, not with a month of hot play, but with a dominant season.

Companies yearn for the television exposure players like this receive ...........it might be an apparel company or an equipment company.........but he will receive some huge financial offers.

He's obviously earned millions already...........but who can resist the deal that offers you more than you'll ever need, The ability to give your parents everything you've ever dreamed of, the sports world is full of athletes who simply can't pass up the money.

Justin Thomas's deal with Titleist is up...I could see some big money being thrown at him

Titleist doesnt work that way never has. he wont make more than spieth. same guys that left Tiger,Phil, Ernie and Rory walk when their demands were high. they dont need them, they laugh all the way to the bank on ball sales alone..

Won't be laughing much longer at the rate they're going. Golf ball sales down 6.6%, club sales down 21.2%, and apparel/footwear down 5.8% year over year. Wayyyyy too many quality options out there for them to continue to "laugh their way to the bank" with ball sales.

The "stars" are still signing huge contracts............Rory's 100 million dollar deal with Taylormade certainly being the biggest example. Justin Thomas became one of the elite players in the game this year, not with a month of hot play, but with a dominant season.

Companies yearn for the television exposure players like this receive ...........it might be an apparel company or an equipment company.........but he will receive some huge financial offers.

He's obviously earned millions already...........but who can resist the deal that offers you more than you'll ever need, The ability to give your parents everything you've ever dreamed of, the sports world is full of athletes who simply can't pass up the money.

100%

And they also know it's them, not the equipment, they have total self-belief ( its what got them there) So the money is just icing and why not take it.

I personally don't think JT will leave Titleist, he and Speith will be the flagship players. I'm not sure how deep the RL money is for golf apparel but JT I could see going to UA for the right figgure. (hard to speculate when I don't know how much their current contracts are worth)

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Do you think we are approaching the day where the actual equipment deals take a back seat to the bigger apparel deals? I can't help but think that a lot of the Nike guys who had their choice of equipment all seemed to have an impressive year with the mix and match. Koepka, Henley, Chappell all won and guys like Finau, Casey, and Fleetwood also were impressive the entire year. Given how the apparel companies like Under Armour have made it easy for people like Spieth to stay with what they like, are other players going to follow suit and see if they can get their bucks with the clothes and not the clubs?

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Justin Thomas's deal with Titleist is up...I could see some big money being thrown at him

Titleist doesnt work that way never has. he wont make more than spieth. same guys that left Tiger,Phil, Ernie and Rory walk when their demands were high. they dont need them, they laugh all the way to the bank on ball sales alone..

Won't be laughing much longer at the rate they're going. Golf ball sales down 6.6%, club sales down 21.2%, and apparel/footwear down 5.8% year over year. Wayyyyy too many quality options out there for them to continue to "laugh their way to the bank" with ball sales.

Titleist has over 50% of the golf ball market. They didn't get there by making bad decisions.

Do you think we are approaching the day where the actual equipment deals take a back seat to the bigger apparel deals? I can't help but think that a lot of the Nike guys who had their choice of equipment all seemed to have an impressive year with the mix and match. Koepka, Henley, Chappell all won and guys like Finau, Casey, and Fleetwood also were impressive the entire year. Given how the apparel companies like Under Armour have made it easy for people like Spieth to stay with what they like, are other players going to follow suit and see if they can get their bucks with the clothes and not the clubs?

If I was a betting man (I am) I would have to say that is exactly what the market is going to look like here. You can reach a more broad spectrum of people as golfers have the "these guys are athletes" stuff thrown at them and they start to show up on more of the "active" side of things for companies like Nike, Adidas, UA, etc. and with that exposure is going to come cash. You aren't going to have the huge money from hard goods come like it used to just based on the fact that, that isn't the side of the market that most of these companies actually make their money.

Titleist has over 50% of the golf ball market. They didn't get there by making bad decisions.

Who said they are making bad decisions? Just pointing out numbers. 6.6% decline with a new premium ball release absolutely is meaningful. Spending a small fortune squabbling with Costco in court also is meaningful. Rory pointing out his issues with the balls performance at the Masters is meaningful. Not many people from a business standpoint would say their position moving forward is as favorable as it was a couple years ago.

Who said they are making bad decisions? Just pointing out numbers. 6.6% decline with a new premium ball release absolutely is meaningful. Spending a small fortune squabbling with Costco in court also is meaningful. Rory pointing out his issues with the balls performance at the Masters is meaningful. Not many people from a business standpoint would say their position moving forward is as favorable as it was a couple years ago.

Rory also has about 100 million reasons to talk about issues he had with the ball. Not saying they weren't true, but there's going to be some bias there.

The rest of what you say is all very, very true. There are now more great options on the market that are less expensive and people are happy to look elsewhere to save some money. After playing only the ProV line for like 10 years, I actually looked for other options to see if any of the other premium balls met my needs and for me, they didn't but that doesn't mean that they won't for countless other people.

Is it verified Rory got $100mm from Taylormade? I've never seen that.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

Sergio to Cally might me true!

6ad0303e8fbd45dfc8e8663342337519.jpg

And let’s not forget baout the Toulon Proto putter he used recently.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Is it verified Rory got $100mm from Taylormade? I've never seen that.

The same with no actual verification of Rory getting $200 million from Nike from his original contract. It's really easy to quote a rumor or speculation that one reads elsewhere and simply take it as fact. Sort of like the clueless minions that believe Tiger paid Elin $750 million in his divorce settlement. Lots of sheeple.

When Rory signed his original Nike deal for 2013 Bob Harig @ ESPN reported it at 5 years for around $13 million or so per year. What did Rory do? Signed a new deal this year with Nike after 5 years. Hmm. Guess that 10 year $200 million+ dollar deal was BS as many thought.

I think JT and Jordan will end up being like Adam Scott...and just staying with Acushnet for the long haul...Taylormade blew their wad signing Rory..I dont think Callaway will spend that kind of money...and they have good careers so signing with PXG is out of the question unless they want their world rankings to drop.....I dont think we are going to see the big contracts like years passed....but what do I know.... I'm a keyboard golf insider....

Don't see much changing?! Kyle Stanley needs new irons. Still playing Nike. lol

No change needed!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Maybe should be a new thread, but does anyone make decisions in equipment purchases because of who is under contract to play that brand? I could care less and make decisions on what actually makes the most sense with my swing, as well as look at address (confidence).

The manufacturers pay the pro's for marketing assuming you will buy, do you?

hqdefault.jpg

Tries to remember even touching a Ram club much less buying one....

I'm going to have to go "NO" to this question.

Nice ad pull, lol. My point exactly.

He used a Zebra putter at some stage early on.

kevin chappel needs a new contract...he's still gaming Nike irons.

Keep the Nike irons and get a G400!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Sergio to Callaway?!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

Maybe should be a new thread, but does anyone make decisions in equipment purchases because of who is under contract to play that brand? I could care less and make decisions on what actually makes the most sense with my swing, as well as look at address (confidence).

The manufacturers pay the pro's for marketing assuming you will buy, do you?

I think there are a lot more people than you think, that will purchase a club based on what pro plays it. Not on this site for sure, because all of us on here are concerned with getting fitted and have our specs and such. But the crowd that buys clubs off the shelf, probably a older demographic, will do so because they see DJ crushing his TM driver. I had a guy in my Myrtle Beach group show me his new driver a few years ago and was excited because he had gotten "Tiger's driver." You and I both know that the club he bought was not even in the same ball park as what Tiger was playing at the time. I would say that some of the off-the-rack buyers will consider what the pros are playing when making a purchase. You just won't find many of those guys on these forum pages.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

Have to join the crowd saying JT should not leave Titleist. Stay with what you are comfortable with and win majors. The money will take care of itself. Dude just won $20 million on the course this year.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Justin Thomas became one of the elite players in the game this year, not with a month of hot play, but with a dominant season.

He's only going to get better as well. I believe he has plenty room for improvement.

Despite him being super talented I think he can significantly improve both his attitude and mental game/course management. I thought he was going to finish 2016 strongly and get a pick for the Ryder Cup but Ryan Moore was too good to ignore. I expected him to do well this year but while I didn't think he'd have this kind of year I wasn't surprised.

I've kept an eye on him for a while and I rate him very highly.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I think this will be more and more the case.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I find it amusing that people say "i can't see speith or JT leaving Titleist" lmao. The same was said for every big name player that left Titleist lol. Speith has said he will most likely stick with Titleist but tha'ts because he got a big payout from UA. JT will be going bye bye as soon as he can.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I find it amusing that people say "i can't see speith or JT leaving Titleist" lmao. The same was said for every big name player that left Titleist lol. Speith has said he will most likely stick with Titleist but tha'ts because he got a big payout from UA. JT will be going bye bye as soon as he can.

Ralph pays pretty well and so does winning the Fedex Cup.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Their market share is insane. 1 year outlier means nothing

Justin Thomas became one of the elite players in the game this year, not with a month of hot play, but with a dominant season.

He's only going to get better as well. I believe he has plenty room for improvement.

Despite him being super talented I think he can significantly improve both his attitude and mental game/course management. I thought he was going to finish 2016 strongly and get a pick for the Ryder Cup but Ryan Moore was too good to ignore. I expected him to do well this year but while I didn't think he'd have this kind of year I wasn't surprised.

I've kept an eye on him for a while and I rate him very highly.

Lets slow down, theres nothing to base this on. he had a big dip in mid summer and spring. I really believe he played above his head. Hes very talented but nothing shows this will continue. This will probably be his career year and history shows this. Expect a dip and to lower your expectations moving forward. Im certainly excited for him but lets wait until he does it for a few years. Jason Day is a cautionary tale in this regard. people believe a career season is what theyll do every year but history shows only a select few can do this. you have to believe JT is one of those, i dont