2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Played McCullough's Emerald in Atlantic City yesterday

Very good course, just wish weather was a little better!
On the recommendation of a few members here, I played McCullough's Emerald Golf Links yesterday. It's about 15 minutes outside of Atlantic City, very easy and convenient to get to.

My buddy was playing for the first time, so we grabbed the very first tee time, 8:12, so we wouldn't feel rushed, and he wouldn't feel intimidated. The temp gauge in my car said it was 47 outside...but that doesn't account for the wind. And boy, was there wind!

The course itself has some very, very nice holes. I've never been to Scotland or Ireland, but this course looked almost exactly like photos and videos I've seen of British links courses. Lots of mounding, pot bunkers, and tremendous waste areas. It's a visual treat for the eyes. I really liked the opening hole, it sets the stage for the overall feel of the course beautifully. I don't have a favorite hole yet, but #15 is certainly interesting. It's a short par-4 (only like 260 from the blue tees), with a severe, and I mean severe dogleg right. You can't even see the green from the tee box! There's a sign that says, "Ring bell when holed out". I love quirky stuff like that! I hit a high long shot that went over the trees...and drove the green. Cha-ching! I also love the hole (can't remember which one) that is a blind uphill par-4 that has a sign that says, "Aim for Tower". My buddy was cracking up at that. Quirky stuff like that makes me smile, even though it doesn't do your game any favors. McCullough's has 4 sets of tees, so it's playable for everyone. The "Tournament" tees look brutal, though. Not only are they sometimes 25 yards behind the middle tees, they're often set at a weird angle.

The wind conditions were absolutely brutal yesterday, and really affected nearly every shot I took. The real difficulty is that there are no prevailing winds; the wind changes direction every few seconds, or so it seems. I hit a truly perfect shot on the par-3 number 2 hole. Right club, right on line, nice and high and soft....and the wind took the damned thing a blew it 20 yards to the right of the green. D'oh! We were laughing, though, it was actually comical.

The overall conditioning of the course was admirable, considering it was the end of March. Of course the fairways and greens were all brown, but it was still immaculately maintained from tee to green. The tee boxes were well-marked with yardages, and there were plenty of yardage markers on all holes. The yardage book (available in the pro shop for $3.95) was very helpful, given the myrian number of bunkers on every hole. Overall a class course well worth the $40 off-season rate I paid. I'd pay double during the summer, when everything is all lush and green.

The only complaint I have is that the layout of the course is a bit confusing. They could use more directional markers. I'm sure with more play, I'll have no problem. Also (and of course this isn't their fault), the weather conditions were brutal. It was sunny and about 50, but the wind was absolutely biting. It made the round a little less enjoyable than it would have otherwise been.

I haven't played Twisted Dune just down the road, or any other "Scottish Links" style course, so I don't have much to compare McCullough's Emeral with in that respect. But my bottom line is that this is a wonderful, quirky course with friendly people and a layout that can be either relatively easy or maddeningly frustrating, depending on the set of tees you use. I will definitely play there as often as I can this summer!

You can check their website for more info: www.mcculloughsemerald.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you liked it. I would have felt bad if you said it was crappy since I was one who had recommended it. I will be playing there on Monday (Sunny and 55*, hopefully) and possibly Tuesday if my friend can find a sitter. Perhaps this time I will pick up a yardage book.

I am surprised you like the 'Tower' hole (4th, I think). Everyone I play with hates that hole! As for the 15th, I sliced one pretty bad there myself last time and wound up almost on the green :)

Glad you liked it. I would have felt bad if you said it was crappy since I was one who had recommended it. I will be playing there on Monday (Sunny and 55*, hopefully) and possibly Tuesday if my friend can find a sitter. Perhaps this time I will pick up a yardage book.

I am surprised you like the 'Tower' hole (4th, I think). Everyone I play with hates that hole! As for the 15th, I sliced one pretty bad there myself last time and wound up almost on the green :)

Yes, I liked it quite alot, I can't wait to go back when it's all green, and the rough has grown in. I'm not a great player, just an average high-handicapper who can pull off really good shots every once in awhile. But I'm getting better, and playing a more wide-open course like McCullough's helps my confidence.

I think one of the reasons I like the Tower hole (actually the 11th) is because my buddy thought it was a hoot. AND because we were using the blue tees, and I got the ball to within 10' of the green, and two-putted for one of my 2 birdies on the day (the other was on #13, the downhill par-3. I hit an insane 7-Iron to within 3 feet of the hole. We thought I might've aced it!).

Let me know how your round goes on Monday. I'm going down again one Saturday in April, when it's a little warmer. Are the winds always a factor, even in the spring and summer?

Thanks for the recommendation!!

Glad you enjoyed it, give Twisted Dune a try and I am sure you will be pleased as well. I make a point of playing there a few times a year even though it is not an easy trip for me (Sand Barrens and Cape May National are closer to my summer house). I am going to try and play the Philly golf tour event that is being held there this summer.

^^I'll definitely play Twisted Dunes this spring or summer. How are the caddies? I'm a touch intimidated by that, since my game is sporadic. But I guess they've seen worse than me. Maybe. :)

The route we took from A/C took us past a sign that listed all the local golf courses, and Twisted Dune was on there. I figure it's not too far from McCullough's.

I'll play McCullough's again first, though. Now that I know the course, and have studied the yardage book, I expect to do better next time. I just wish these great daily-fee courses were a little closer to where I live. Evenin Montgomery County, there aren't many good daily-fee courses.

Not sure how the caddies are since I have not taken one at Twisted Dunes. I have walked it and taken a cart and would advise using a cart as it is not an easy course to walk. As far as good daily fee courses in the area there are some pretty decent ones to play, but they are outnumbered by the sub-par tracks. Delaware is even worse which is why I joined a private club.

The only advantage McCullough's has over Twisted Dune is the price. There is a substantial difference between the two. (before I forget the link is actually www.mcculloughsgolf.com ). When I booked my tee time I got a deal at $16 per person and I noticed that the Marriot Seaview Resort Bay Course was only $32, what a steal. I should have picked that instead but perhaps we will get a chance to play there on Tuesday if those rates are still available.

no caddies at Twisted and real small clubhouse.make a right hand turn out of emerald links go past harbor pines course on the left.

let me know when you might go maybe we'll hook up or I can give you better directions so you won't have to come through Somers Point if you came that way.

Haven't played in over 2 years.
Still dealing with bladder cancer.I'm in the hands of the VA now.

no caddies at Twisted and real small clubhouse.make a right hand turn out of emerald links go past harbor pines course on the left.

let me know when you might go maybe we'll hook up or I can give you better directions so you won't have to come through Somers Point if you came that way.

Will do! I'll probably go sometime in early May or the end of April. I'll definitely let you know, thanks!

Well I played on Monday and I found it funny that I told you how I hated the 11th (Tower Hole) at McCullugh's and lo and behold I wound up making my first birdie ever. Also, based on your experience I decided to invest $4 in a yardage book and that was very helpful. Also, like you, I had to put up with tremendous winds when I played.

^^Was it a cold wind? I wonder if the wind is actually refreshing on a hotter day?

I liked the yardage book a lot. In fact, I've been reading it and re-reading it in anticipation of my next round in April. I really want to start "thinking" my way around the course, rather than just trying to "hit it straight and hope for the best". McCullough's really does have better angles of attack to the green than some courses.

Congrats on the birdie! That hole was one of 2 I made on the day as well. I very much look forward to playing there again. If it were a little closer, I'd play there this weekend!

How is Pine Hill? Is it worth a round or two?

^^I've added Pine Hill to this summer's must-play list based on the recommendations of everyone here. The cool thing about So. Jersey golf is that a lot of the courses are very close to each other, easily enabling you to play 36. Where I live (outside of Philly, PA) there are tons of really good courses...they just happen to be 35-45 minutes from each other.