2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Dear Taylormade: This is getting ridiculous - 7 cracked M2 series woods (3 drivers 4 3woods)

xabia

Let me preface this by saying the 2016 M series driver and HL 3 wood are the BEST clubs I have ever hit. I have tried to replace them with something else, but they are always what I come back to. However I have now had 5 cracked clubs since 9/22/16 (so approximately one calendar year). I certainly play a lot of golf, but I am a good player (~4-5 cap), swing hard and fast but do not miss low or slam my clubs into the ground. Also my club has pretty nice range balls, not rocks.

Over the last calendar year these clubs have all cracked on me

1st one 9/22/2016; M2 3 wood 15*: face caved in completely after contact (no picture but it was obliterated)

2nd one 5/31/17: Tour Issue M2 3 HL: Hit a ball flush it made a 90 degree turn in the air after about 100 yards and went 40 yards O.B. looked down and saw this

37477575611_ee17aa4064_k.jpg20170530_200911 by James Cole, on Flickr

3rd one cracked on 7/15/17 2016 M2 driver : crack in sole near speed pocket. I had this club for over a year and had hit a ton of balls with it. Chalked it up to bad luck and moved on (no picture no hard feelings)

4th one cracked on September 10th: Tour Issue M2 3HL deep face (bought from BST this July). Played ~ 25 rounds with it and range time. Completely shocked this one cracked.

36768497924_4f71fc7cf6_k.jpg20171003_114247

5th one cracked 10/2/17: 2016 M2 driver (bought on BST in early September and was virtually new) have played about 10 rounds with it and then looked down yesterday and saw this after a funny sounding shot.

37477534341_bb412f9984_k.jpg20171002_082304

Two of these pictures were taken right after impact so the clubs are somewhat dirty, but I repeat that I am not abusive to my clubs nor do I feel like I should be having these kinds of issues. In fact I have two ping anser hybrids that I hit a TON of balls with (17* and 20*) that have not even come close to having issues after around 2 years for the 17 and 1 for the 20. Before this I had a super tri that I had an incalculable number of balls with (when I was terrible and hit all over the clubface) that had no issues.

I am not trying to bash Taylormade, but this is kind of crazy right? Has anyone else had this many or any issues with 2016 M series woods?

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

Have you tried reaching out to Taylormade customer service on any of them? They are typically happy to replace them.

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

I've gone through 2 of the 16 m2 3 woods. They perform great but absolute terrible quality and design for it to crack so easily.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

I have cracked 3 2016 m2 drivers. Taylor made has replaced them all under warranty. I have since changed from taylormade. I know all have there problems but it is ridiculous. I play tournament golf and to sit there and wonder is it going to crack in play. There is more then just those problems I have had with Taylormade. Me and my son both played them. Not any longer

A friend of mine cracked the head on a new Callaway GBB Epic 3W.

I'm wondering if golfdom has reached the limit on thinner and lighter clubhead materials. Maybe durability issues are starting to appear with recent designs.

Five years ago I would hear of golfers cracking driver heads after a couple of years, but not during Year 1, and would rarely hear of broken FW heads.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

with a 3 wood yes, but I am not slamming my club into the ground first. Nor is that outlandish behavior that should doom me to cracked club faces.

In regards to replacements they can't help me I'm told because I didn't buy the club through an authorized retailer, but instead through the BST.

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

with a 3 wood yes, but I am not slamming my club into the ground first. Nor is that outlandish behavior that should doom me to cracked club faces.

In regards to replacements they can't help me I'm told because I didn't buy the club through an authorized retailer, but instead through the BST.

They won't ask for a receipt. They will replace the non-tour issue stuff with out much hassle.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
Titleist T150 4 Iron Fujikura Axiom 105

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

Wow, that sucks. I have been gaming my 2016 m2 driver and 3w for the same amount of time and haven't had any issues at all. I have played somewhere around 90 rounds with them plus a decent amount of range time. The range balls at our club are limited flight so maybe that has worked in my favor. Driver swing speed is 110-115. Now I am worried that it's a matter of time before I have the same issues.

Let us know if you're able to get a replacement through TM.

The sole in front of the speed slot is where these clubs tend to crack.

My cousin swings it about 115mph, and he's cracked two 2016 M2s in the past year. Here's the deal, though—he misses the ball low on the face a lot.

I have a similar SS, and although I haven't cracked an M2 yet, I've cracked an AeroBurner in a manner nearly identical to some of the pictures here. I tend to strike my drives higher on the face, so perhaps that's why I've not been snakebit quite as badly by the speed slot.

At this point, I just think the material stress is too high where the sole meets the face (in between the speed slot and the face), especially on strikes that occur below the CoG.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

This have anything to do with strike location? Wonder if this is a combo of higher club speed and poor ball striking.

I do miss low more than I miss high, but looking at those two pictures of the 3 woods the cracks are in the dead center of the face. I would say I am not a poor ball striker at all but occasionally do miss low

Wow, that sucks. I have been gaming my 2016 m2 driver and 3w for the same amount of time and haven't had any issues at all. I have played somewhere around 90 rounds with them plus a decent amount of range time. The range balls at our club are limited flight so maybe that has worked in my favor. Driver swing speed is 110-115. Now I am worried that it's a matter of time before I have the same issues.

Let us know if you're able to get a replacement through TM.

I have been rejected by TM customer service for a replacement due to not having a receipt.

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Three letters for you. T.E.E.

I absolutely love their stuff, but I've cratered the face of two of their 3-woods in the last 2 years.

That said, I do think the M-series is more prone to cracking than other models I've hit.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

• 9 months later...

update:

crack on sole along speed slot with a brand new TI 16 M2 that I have used since March. I do swing hard (unfortunately too hard) and miss low on the face when I do miss, but I am at my wits end.

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

• 8 months later...

i have an idea -- choose another OEM/club.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @xabia said:

> Let me preface this by saying the 2016 M series driver and HL 3 wood are the BEST clubs I have ever hit. I have tried to replace them with something else, but they are always what I come back to. However I have now had 5 cracked clubs since 9/22/16 (so approximately one calendar year). I certainly play a lot of golf, but I am a good player (~4-5 cap), swing hard and fast but do not miss low or slam my clubs into the ground. Also my club has pretty nice range balls, not rocks.

>

>

>

> Over the last calendar year these clubs have all cracked on me

>

>

>

> 1st one 9/22/2016; M2 3 wood 15*: face caved in completely after contact (no picture but it was obliterated)

>

>

>

> 2nd one 5/31/17: Tour Issue M2 3 HL: Hit a ball flush it made a 90 degree turn in the air after about 100 yards and went 40 yards O.B. looked down and saw this

>

>

>

> 20170530_200911 by James Cole, on Flickr

>

>

>

> 3rd one cracked on 7/15/17 2016 M2 driver : crack in sole near speed pocket. I had this club for over a year and had hit a ton of balls with it. Chalked it up to bad luck and moved on (no picture no hard feelings)

>

>

>

> 4th one cracked on September 10th: Tour Issue M2 3HL deep face (bought from BST this July). Played ~ 25 rounds with it and range time. Completely shocked this one cracked.

>

>

>

> 20171003_114247

>

>

>

> 5th one cracked 10/2/17: 2016 M2 driver (bought on BST in early September and was virtually new) have played about 10 rounds with it and then looked down yesterday and saw this after a funny sounding shot.

>

>

>

> 20171002_082304

>

>

>

>

>

> Two of these pictures were taken right after impact so the clubs are somewhat dirty, but I repeat that I am not abusive to my clubs nor do I feel like I should be having these kinds of issues. In fact I have two ping anser hybrids that I hit a TON of balls with (17* and 20*) that have not even come close to having issues after around 2 years for the 17 and 1 for the 20. Before this I had a super tri that I had an incalculable number of balls with (when I was terrible and hit all over the clubface) that had no issues.

>

>

>

> I am not trying to bash Taylormade, but this is kind of crazy right? Has anyone else had this many or any issues with 2016 M series woods?

Taylormade saves cash making your equipment with less than tolerable metal width. Yet you keep buying them... switch to another brand.

This is like a smoker asking Reynolds why they cause cancer and Reynolds replying, oh send those in and we can replace them.

I have gotten 3 replacements from TM through my club. Not a sympathy session just sharing information and the fact that its kind of crazy to have that many clubs of the same model break

Broke a G400 driver as well last year got a replacement and sold it. Maybe I am just cursed

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

> @xabia said:

> And another two to add to the list

> TI M2 3Wood

> og8waz1j3mym.jpg

>

> TI M2 3HL

> 2l9izcdsi9xb.jpg

>

> that's 7!

>

Wow!! That crack is identical to the one I suffered on my very same 2017 M2 3W. Lots of low quality range balls is what I figured the culprit to be at the time.

I took it back to the store and TM sent a brand new club for me which was in my hands in under 2 weeks.

I have broke

2 m2 tour 3w

1 m1 3w

1 2017 m1 driver

Waiting on a warranty replacement on my m2 tour

Currently have a m3 3w in the bag

M4 driver and a m6 driver

Like the tm products for the low spin they give me and the looks. When trying to make things “faster” this kind of stuff is going to happen

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

> @xabia said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @stage1350 said:

> > > The 3 woods love to crack there. No thanks!

> >

> > Long time no read dude ! Where you been ?

> >

> > Yep op. 3 woods crack often. But. The M series is still the best I’ve ever hit. So I keep relaxing them. And I’m far from a Tm fanboy.

>

> Not sure what else I can say, they are the best I have ever hit by far, yet they crack, and yet I keep coming back.

> I do hit a decent amount of balls, but in the off-season and early parts of the season I only hit my woods with balls from my shag bag that are stored in the house to try and prevent this issue.

I’m samecas you. I have room to practice at home. So I hit a lot of balls. Almost all premium ( few old range duds in the bucket). If you hit the middle and hit a lot of balls hard it’s going to happen. But I think that’s the trade off for the performance we see.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock