The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

Played a GBB 10.5* for the last two years and I really liked it, read this thread and decided to try the Fusion. It was not a good club for me, I missed it both directions and hit it short.......I'm sure it was user error but it was a total disaster. Went back to my GBB and things were fine.........BUT now I had driver fever.

10.5* Epic Sub Zero was a gamble...........but I got lucky. Been a terrific driver for me.

64.3, 78.6, 76.9, 71.4% fairways hit over my past 4 rounds. That is huge for me. I'm not only getting straighter, I'm also getting longer. How much of it is the Fusion? How much of it is the SuperSpeed training? I don't know but I'm really liking it.

I will say the Epic was likely a touch longer but not by much. That stated, the 44.5" Fusion w/12g weight is better on bad days.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Couple of Fusion questions.

I have swing speed upper 90s to 100. Slightly up AOA +2 to +4 per trackman.

I play Callaway Sub Zero with Alidla Rouge Max 65s. Stock length. Set on 10n.

For fun today while playing I asked to hit my dads Fusion has stock Recoil ES 450 regular at 44.5. I set it to 9.5 neutral. I was KILLING this driver. Loved the sound too. High and very long. Most right down the middle. 2 went 270 yards, laser verified. 2 were 260 and 1 was 252 that I pulled left. It was so easy to hit and for me it is longer than my Sub Zero. Most The of drives were right down the middle. For whatever reason, I feel like I can swing this driver faster than my Sub Zero.

Anyways, I want to buy one and surprisingly got along very well with the regular flex. Thinking stiff would probably be better but the regular was really good and I had no hard draws or hooks, just 1 pull which was probably me.

Torn between regular and stiff, what say you??

Also, afterwards took his Fusion 5 wood, Recoil regular to range. It is longer, easier to hit and sounds better than my Epic 5 wood with T800 shaft. Really kicking myself not testing Fusion before I bought.

So I am thinking driver, 3 wood and 5 wood. Wish I could find them in stiff to hit outside. I think my days of trackman testing only is about over.

Stiff vs regular?

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I can't answer that but callaway pre owned is your friend. Just make sure you get the 12 g weight if u go with the -1" setup. I'm thinking up picking up the 3 wood.

I am crushing the fusion.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

For fun today while playing I asked to hit my dads Fusion has stock Recoil ES 450 regular at 44.5. I set it to 9.5 neutral. I was KILLING this driver. Loved the sound too. High and very long. Most right down the middle. 2 went 270 yards, laser verified. 2 were 260 and 1 was 252 that I pulled left. It was so easy to hit and for me it is longer than my Sub Zero. Most The of drives were right down the middle. For whatever reason, I feel like I can swing this driver faster than my Sub Zero.

Anyways, I want to buy one and surprisingly got along very well with the regular flex. Thinking stiff would probably be better but the regular was really good and I had no hard draws or hooks, just 1 pull which was probably me.

Also, afterwards took his Fusion 5 wood, Recoil regular to range. It is longer, easier to hit and sounds better than my Epic 5 wood with T800 shaft. Really kicking myself not testing Fusion before I bought.

So I am thinking driver, 3 wood and 5 wood. Wish I could find them in stiff to hit outside. I think my days of trackman testing only is about over.

Stiff vs regular?

Depending on your release and tempo, one can go regular flex. I am a tweener, between 91-96 at the moment, and regular off the deck is fine, as is regular with a driver, although I do play a stiff, depending on the shaft profile.

You can get good deals on Fusions at callawaygolfpreowned. You might demo the Steelhead XR fairways before you go Fusion fairways.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Stiff vs regular?

Depending on your release and tempo, one can go regular flex. I am a tweener, between 91-96 at the moment, and regular off the deck is fine, as is regular with a driver, although I do play a stiff, depending on the shaft profile.

You can get good deals on Fusions at callawaygolfpreowned. You might demo the Steelhead XR fairways before you go Fusion fairways.

Thanks. I tried Steelhead XR and didn't love them. I think I have a pretty smooth swing. Now playing KBS Tour 90 Stiff in my Edel irons. Getting along very well. Prior was XP 105 s300.

I this my dads Fusion 5 wood longer than my Epic 5 wood. Mine stiff, his regular. A littler higher flight but direction was good and very straight with the regular flex. Hard to tell if there was too much spin. Might be. But it is ridiculously easy to hit. Longest were def longer and shortest were longer.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Stiff vs regular?

If you already battle a hook, the regular will be harder to tame.

Stiff vs regular?

If you already battle a hook, the regular will be harder to tame.

Thanks! Pulled trigger on stiff flex. Have driver, 3 and 5 wood coming. Hopefully here Tuesday!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

I actually liked the Fusion it was just too left bias. I need to be able to move it both ways and it just didn't let me do that. Be interested to toy with one and am like 15g of melt in the toe.

I personally have no issue making it move right or left with this driver. It's very controllable, & super forgiving. Overall distance is slightly behind other drivers. But not enough to pass up gaming. Just too much goodness in all the other categories to worry giving up a few yards.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

My wife just bought a Titleist 917 d2 driver on a whim, so I'm taking her Fusion and I'm going to throw a Speeder 665 stiff shaft in there to see if it can earn a spot in my bag.

My first go round with the Fusion was mixed due to the occasional hook, but that was with a regular flex shaft, so I'm hoping the 665 will do the trick. It's forgiving and fun to hit, that's for sure.

I've got a 54 hole tournament this weekend, so it will get a thorough test.

My wife just bought a Titleist 917 d2 driver on a whim, so I'm taking her Fusion and I'm going to throw a Speeder 665 stiff shaft in there to see if it can earn a spot in my bag.

My first go round with the Fusion was mixed due to the occasional hook, but that was with a regular flex shaft, so I'm hoping the 665 will do the trick. It's forgiving and fun to hit, that's for sure.

I've got a 54 hole tournament this weekend, so it will get a thorough test.

It is very fun to hit thay is for sure. I hit my dads with regular flex. I felt like I could murder the ball and feel confident it would be in play. I ordered one for myself later that night! It should be here tomorrow.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

My CPO Fusion driver, 3 wood and 5 wood arrived today. Driver was new in plastic lol! What a deal. Fairways look practically brand new. It's about to be Epic!!! Oh wait that's what I'm switching from...

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Just got back from the range. I play 9 tonight in my league.

This driver is LEGIT! Lasered a flag I've hit to a million times. 232 yards and it sits uphill about 10-15 feet. I was easily carrying to the flag and often farther. Piercing flight and no spin issues. Def a lower spinning combo. Looking forward to seeing drives in course. I have a feeling this is going to be the longest driver I've hit. It is also shockingly easy to hit. Really happy with pulling trigger on this.

Also hit my new 3 and 5 wood. Great flight. Just want to do straight with slight draw. No bad shots and tight dispersion. Just what I was looking for!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Played 9 tonight in my league. Driver performed very well. Right down the middle on almost every hole. Not as far as my Sub Zero but I had no trouble off the tee which is a big change. I'm not set on 9.5. It seems to be low spin. Gonna loft up to 10.5 and see if I can get a little more carry. It's not far off Sub Zero distance but I'm enjoying more fairways!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Played 9 tonight in my league. Driver performed very well. Right down the middle on almost every hole. Not as far as my Sub Zero but I had no trouble off the tee which is a big change. I'm not set on 9.5. It seems to be low spin. Gonna loft up to 10.5 and see if I can get a little more carry. It's not far off Sub Zero distance but I'm enjoying more fairways!

Exactly mine and many others experience

Long straight and powerful with a great feel and awesome sound

dispersion is unmatched

the 3 wood is the same.....off the tee or carpet

confidence inspiring

Exactly mine and many others experience

Long straight and powerful with a great feel and awesome sound

dispersion is unmatched

the 3 wood is the same.....off the tee or carpet

confidence inspiring

Yes, confidence inspiring indeed! It def is long enough

Driving holes:

12: 285 yards, all up hill. Left side rough. 30 yards to flag.

14: 378 yard hole, 95 yards left to back flag placement. Drive was right middle of fairway. I hit it up the right side and it had a small draw back.

15: 403 yards. Slight dog league left. Hit tee shot go right hand side. Small draw, like 14. Lands right center or a very very narrow portion of fairway. 103 yards left to a front pin placement.

16. 493 yard par 5. This hole has a huge dip in center, runs down hill then back up. Sun always blinding your tee shot. Hit the drive well, but missed aligned and missed fairway. Small draw. I was behind a large tree so I could not to for it in 2. Couldn't get a reading with my laser due to the tree. I believe it was around 200 left.

17. Fusion 3 wood. 340 yards. Misshit tees shot. Just didn't feel solid. Ball flew dead straight and turned out to be a great shot. This hole slopes heavily from left side fairway to the right. If you don't land on far left your ball is gonna be off fairway and into the rough on the right. 103 yards to flag. Forgiveness was very evident!

18. 389 yards. 125 yards left to pin. This hole is hardest one on the back. Slight dog league right and very hilly. Hit a draw over the hill. Land 6 inches from the rough on the fairway. Right hand side. I have been longer but this was a great drive. Thrilled with it. Very hard fairway hit due to the hill and slopes. Most people end up into the rough because of the hill.

4 out of the 5 driver shots were really really good. 1 was bad alignment only and didn't leave me too much trouble. Ball itself flew excellent. Fusion is now fixed in my bag. Sub Zero gone. Hitting more fairways and it's long enough Much more consistent. This course is very unforgiving and sometimes does not reward good shots. So it was an interesting test and Fusion killed it.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

No fade bias for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Nope

Another good night. Shot 4 over 39. 1 bad driver and 1 bad 3 wood off tee. Everything else was long and in fairway. Bad 3w off tee I followed up with a 3 wood from rough about 230 yards. Dead straight. Pitched to 1 foot for pick up par.

Driver is very consistent. Just one bad swing that I hooked out of bounds.

Continue to be very happy with Fusion driver and 3/5 woods

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

The face on this club is fairly open, no? Fade bias

It's really hard to tell by sight as drivers "sit" differently but I'd doubt that the Fusion is open and/or fade bias.

It's a GI driver (mostly ?) aimed at high handicappers and most of those types of drivers are closed and/or draw bias at standard settings. Given the Opti-fit adapter though I *think* one MAY be able to square it up or even open it a bit. Not sure.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

The face on this club is fairly open, no? Fade bias

It's really hard to tell by sight as drivers "sit" differently but I'd doubt that the Fusion is open and/or fade bias.

It's a GI driver (mostly ?) aimed at high handicappers and most of those types of drivers are closed and/or draw bias at standard settings. Given the Opti-fit adapter though I *think* one MAY be able to square it up or even open it a bit. Not sure.

I think the shape of the head makes it look open. however, when demo'ing at the range today, it sat pretty square to me, if not a little closed. this is a nice head...not quite the sound i'm used to, but it consistently hits pretty straight. my old xhot, however, when i square it up properly, hits longer. the jpx900 i demo'ed also hits potentially longer. but...the fusion is more consistent when not hitting dead center. i wanted to test the 44.5" version, but the shop loaned out their demo and only had a setup in the 45.5" version. i like it. not in love with it...unless i got a great deal on it, i wouldn't say that i would run out and get one immediately.

• 1 month later...

Yes! Killing it and loving it. I hadnt hit the g400 but it blows the g30 out of the water.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Still playing my Fusion driver. I tried to replace it with a Ping G25 but that was a failure. But the G400 would easily replce it. I've had 2 demo rounds with the G400, and they were comparable in distance but the Ping was more forgiving on shots that missed the center of the club face.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Got me a Hzrdus Black to kill the spin and ain't never hit the driver better.

Anybody want an Epic SZ 10.5 with Tensei White Pro (Stiff) ??? LOL

Titleist Pro V1X

Whats the best loft, weight,leght and shaft combo generally speaking?

Generally speaking it depends on YOUR launch conditions. Launch angle, spin rate, etc. There is no "generally speaking" as everyone is different.

e.g. I used to hit a higher launch, higher spinning drive. Very damaging to overall distance. That would lead one to believe this particular head is not for me. But I've improved my driver swing and have gotten a shaft that has totally killed the excess spin for me.

And this head is so forgiving and easy to hit straight, the possible couple of yards I might add with a different head/shaft combo isn't even worth looking for.

Titleist Pro V1X