Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

This morning I won the scratch knockout final 5 & 3. Played solid, nothing glamorous, was level par for the 15 holes we played.

That means I've won all 3 scratch events at the club this year, or the triple crown as I'm calling it :D

Loving the new driver. Hit it 6 times and was centre of the fairway each time. Love the feel of it.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

This morning I won the scratch knockout final 5 & 3. Played solid, nothing glamorous, was level par for the 15 holes we played.

That means I've won all 3 scratch events at the club this year, or the triple crown as I'm calling it :D

Loving the new driver. Hit it 6 times and was centre of the fairway each time. Love the feel of it.

congratulations, great thread...thinking I really need to get better

congratulations, great thread...thinking I really need to get better

Thanks

Well done on the latest victory and the 3 in total for this year. Well deserved with the work you put in.

Thanks

Congratulations Dave, thats some season you are having.

Whats your strength and weaknesses in your game if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks, been a good season success wise, still waiting for that 1 real low round in competition, but still optimistic with a couple of comps left.

Didn't you ask me that a few months ago? Has probably changed slightly now though:

Strengths:

Iron & wedge play - the strongest part of my game IMO

Distance control - ties in with the point above

Short putting - has become a real strength

Distance - don't hit it monster distances but long enough to be an advantage on most courses I play - 6i 190

Bunker play

Weaknesses:

Occasionally lag putting

Trying to hit the ball too hard when I'm striking it well

Pin seeking

Adequate:

Short game

Thanks, been a good season success wise, still waiting for that 1 real low round in competition, but still optimistic with a couple of comps left.

Didn't you ask me that a few months ago? Has probably changed slightly now though:

Strengths:

Distance - don't hit it monster distances but long enough to be an advantage on most courses I play - 6i 190

Bunker play

Weaknesses:

Occasionally lag putting

Pin seeking

Adequate:

Short game

thanks, I was curious as I've been 3 or 4 under after 8 or 9 holes before but always end up 4 or 5 over!!

My long game is up there but I am cr*p with wedges and short (under 10 feet) putts.

I like to hit hard also and have no issues with length despite being an old guy but the low rounds elude me as confidence is zero from 100yds and in.

I'm going to try the swingyde as recommended by Dan Whittaker (says he uses it in just about every lesson) to get wedges more consistent.

Look forward to your next victory.

Strengths:

Bunker play

Weaknesses:

Occasionally lag putting

Pin seeking

Adequate:

Short game

thanks, I was curious as I've been 3 or 4 under after 8 or 9 holes before but always end up 4 or 5 over!!

My long game is up there but I am cr*p with wedges and short (under 10 feet) putts.

I like to hit hard also and have no issues with length despite being an old guy but the low rounds elude me as confidence is zero from 100yds and in.

I'm going to try the swingyde as recommended by Dan Whittaker (says he uses it in just about every lesson) to get wedges more consistent.

Look forward to your next victory.

when you say cr*p with wedges, is it strike distance or accuracy you struggle with?

I would thoroughly recommend using a line on the ball to help improve your putting

strike........which causal effect means distance and accuracy get affected.

When I hear the crisp wedge some people get I'm jealous as I'm either thinning or fatting enough to make the shot useless. I think I'm very handsy with wedges which might be the issue.

I'd rather cream a 220 3 iron than a 110 yd wedge but I know I'll never get low again without improving this.

When I hear the crisp wedge some people get I'm jealous as I'm either thinning or fatting enough to make the shot useless. I think I'm very handsy with wedges which might be the issue.

I'd rather cream a 220 3 iron than a 110 yd wedge but I know I'll never get low again without improving this.

Do you have this problem with a full swing wedge? or is it inbetween distances you struggle most with?

Do you have this problem with a full swing wedge? or is it inbetween distances you struggle most with?

all of the above lol

Went back to see 'my man' today and the issue is the hips not bump and turning on the downswing (I'm guilty of that on all shots) so when I actually do it I get the very accurate wedge shots I crave, I think that because the wedge shots are not full power I get too armsy and the body isnt in sync or something, so now I know whats wrong and how to fix it, just 10,000 hours of practice to put in now lol (I did hit over 300 shots today and sweated buckets, Gawd I love this game)

all of the above lol

Went back to see 'my man' today and the issue is the hips not bump and turning on the downswing (I'm guilty of that on all shots) so when I actually do it I get the very accurate wedge shots I crave, I think that because the wedge shots are not full power I get too armsy and the body isnt in sync or something, so now I know whats wrong and how to fix it, just 10,000 hours of practice to put in now lol (I did hit over 300 shots today and sweated buckets, Gawd I love this game)

yeah as wedge swings are slower speed probably highlights your issue more as the body moves even slower? Good to hear you're on the right path to fixing it. Best game there is!

Triple Crown - then you are a stallion!

Great job!

Shot 74 this morning with 2 doubles and an angry 3 putt on the last. Chipping and pitching was woeful. Hit some really good shots and generally really solid.

Solid pars to start then nearly had a hole in 1 on the 6th to go 1 under. Just short of par 5 7th in 2 and hit a bad pitch, par. Then hit a big block on par 5 9th, hacked out sideways,hybrid 50 yards short, fatted into the bunker, lipped out the bunker shot then missed the 3 footer coming back.

Driver 6 iron into par 5 10th 2 putt birdie. Burned edges from 15 feet on 11 and 12.

Then block right on 13, chipped out, fatted 60 yard shot into water. Drop, hit pitch to about 30 foot then holed thst to save double.

5 iron to 10 foot on par 3 14th misread putt.

Driver 7 iron to 3 feet on 15th for birdie and back to 1 under.

Par 16

Driver hybrid pin high on par 5 17th, hit easy chip to 15 feet miss putt to get back to level.

Then 3 putt from 50 feet on the last for a 74.

Seem to have an amazing ability to turn a 68 into a 73 or 74 at the minute

Did some short game technique practice last night at home, my go to aid when I've been struggling with short game strike and consistency is the tour striker smart ball, hit some shots with that inbetween my arms to sync my hands and arms with my upper body and voila, nice crisp clean contact again.

Now to get to work practicing touch & feel around a green. The wonderful never ending circle of golf.

Spoke to coach about a backswing drill and he thinks it will really help me, certainly can feel how much more tilt and extension I need to add to my backswing to improve it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZfsTrlDNZJ/?taken-by=andrewricegolf

37567249801_1753dd9520_b.jpg

Club exit much improved from a few weeks ago all from working on better backswing tilts, ball flight had much much less curvature too

Videos:

https://www.instagra.../p/BZ--RdrlDcj/

https://www.instagra...by=davedunlop87

I've also been toying with the idea of switching to a prayer grip with my putter. I really like the pendulum created by having both arms fairly straight, the way I set up LHL my right arm is very bent, really feels like the arms and shoulders move as one unit. Also keeps my shoulders and forearm alignment very neutral. Makes a lot of sense technically to me. Practiced this way yesterday and felt really solid and seemed to have better distance control.

23737355838_ef0fa35033_h.jpg

I'm awaiting delivery of a superstroke 3.0 countercore to use as the grip, need something bigger to allow both hands to fit on nicely, and am going to be cutting my Edel down today to use for the experiment. I've drawn a line on the Edel as well to use to match the ball line. Will be cutting it down to 31 1/4". Using the edel for this experiment as will be nice to use my £300 putter rather than gathering dust :lol: and will be removing the spider head this week to get sandblasted.

Dave - the prayer grip makes a lot of sense for the reasons you mention. I also experimented with it several years ago after watching Miguel Angel Jimenez in a Euro event. He was using a 2-Thumbs Putter Grip so I tracked one down. IMO it's a great fit for that putting style. I assume the SS 3.0 has the flat front and rounded backside where the 2-Thumb has a more purely rectangular cross-section. As with all things putting it's all about personal preference/feel but I'd encourage to give it a try if the SS doesn't feel quite "right". Good luck with the change.

s-l500.jpg

I don't use the prayer grip but I do have my right hand entirely over my left (quadruple overlap I guess!), with both thumbs on the top of the grip, so my arms/hands/shoulders etc are level, find it much easier to get aligned properly and make a nice consistent stroke.

it certainly seems like it would help with body alignment

I experimented with the prayer grip for a bit after seeing Paul Dunne's stroke on the Open TV coverage. Putted very well that way. Like everything else putting, I switched it up when things got cold, but overall it worked very well. My start line was fantastic that way.

Swing looks great Dave.

that's good to hear, certainly seems to make a lot of sense to me, really feels like a cohesive triangle with the arms and shoulders this way, it also get the grip in my lifelines easily.

Dave - the prayer grip makes a lot of sense for the reasons you mention. I also experimented with it several years ago after watching Miguel Angel Jimenez in a Euro event. He was using a 2-Thumbs Putter Grip so I tracked one down. IMO it's a great fit for that putting style. I assume the SS 3.0 has the flat front and rounded backside where the 2-Thumb has a more purely rectangular cross-section. As with all things putting it's all about personal preference/feel but I'd encourage to give it a try if the SS doesn't feel quite "right". Good luck with the change.

s-l500.jpg

thanks for that, I have felt those grips before and remembered them feeling odd and huge, as I'm fairly used to superstrokes i'm hoping it will feel fairly familiar even with the increased size. How did you find distance control was with the prayer grip? what made you stop using it?

To my detriment I'm a bit of a tinkerer when it comes to putters and putting in general which probably explains why I'm so "average" on the greens. I suspect I had a couple of extra-cold putting rounds and just switched out to another putter. I don't know that my speed control was any better or worse but the idea of neutralizing some of the body angles by having both hands at the same level just makes sense.

you ever gone to a local putting green and seen Moms and kids putting with really bad putters supplied by the owners..............?

you see single putts, hardly a 3 putt (ok theres prob loads) but my point is they just use instinct as putting is really the most simple and easy part of golf, and the hardest.

I get what you mean, I feel I use a large part of instinct when I'm actually putting but I separate that from stroke technique work.

TBH I don't think I will game the prayer grip, but I do really like how using it improves the rocking of my shoulders when I switch back to the spider. Using the short putter with prayer grip does wonders for my stroke but I control the face better LHL, and using a shorter putter a lot makes the top of my back hurt.

So I think I will keep this putter as more of a training putter at home to help with stroke. One thing it has made me realise is how good a weight under the grip feels again, got fitted for counterbalance when I got my edel so think I will try a counterbalance superstroke on the spider

Another dilemma I'm facing by using the edel this week is how much harder I found lining up an all silver head, I'd fully planned this week to get my spider head sandblasted to leave it silver as I don't like the finish on it, but going back to looking at the spider I realise how much the white and black helps me get the face square. I think i'll just have to live with it ghosted, although maybe ill keep an eye on ebay for a mint condition one as this one wasn't treated well in a former life.

taylormade_ghost_spiderS_putter_address.jpg

34818435543_4289c8f88f_b.jpg

Disappointing finish to the season of competitions at my home club, shot a 79 with 3 doubles and 3 bogeys, but I did learn some things that will be important going forward:

1. I can't play good comptetive golf hungover anymore - entirely the fault of crystal palace on the Saturday

2. My chipping technique is much improved after using the smart ball, keeping arms in sync really helps BUT....

3. I need to work on my tempo/rythmn on short game shots, when I'm smooth I hit lovely shots, when I get a bit snatchy on the downswing I catch chips a bit thin.

4. The M2 w/ hzrdus black is so good - haven't driven the ball this consistently well possibly ever.

5. The hybrid will be a mainstay in the bag, 2 of the few highlights from approach shots were both with hybrid on sunday, one from 2nd cut sitting down a bit up and over a tree from 240 which ended up on the front edge. Exactly the kind of shot I want it for and felt I was missing out on having to hit 9 iron from usually.

6. I need to find more time to practice, even if its 20 minutes or so a day, I've gotten lazy of late and it's showing in my game.

Disappointing finish to the season of competitions at my home club, shot a 79 with 3 doubles and 3 bogeys, but I did learn some things that will be important going forward:

1. I can't play good comptetive golf hungover anymore - entirely the fault of crystal palace on the Saturday

2. My chipping technique is much improved after using the smart ball, keeping arms in sync really helps BUT....

3. I need to work on my tempo/rythmn on short game shots, when I'm smooth I hit lovely shots, when I get a bit snatchy on the downswing I catch chips a bit thin.

4. The M2 w/ hzrdus black is so good - haven't driven the ball this consistently well possibly ever.

5. The hybrid will be a mainstay in the bag, 2 of the few highlights from approach shots were both with hybrid on sunday, one from 2nd cut sitting down a bit up and over a tree from 240 which ended up on the front edge. Exactly the kind of shot I want it for and felt I was missing out on having to hit 9 iron from usually.

6. I need to find more time to practice, even if its 20 minutes or so a day, I've gotten lazy of late and it's showing in my game.

Always something to learn from every round be it casual or competitive.

(3) is probably related to (1). Been there. :)

Although most are very simple I've been really enjoying Nick Dougherty's #teetimetips on Twitter (@nickdougherty5).

Especially this one on posture:

Makes me realise how sloppy I get with my posture and how quite often I'm in an unathletic position with rounded back, especially on short game

• 2 weeks later...

I've been very lazy with my swing work of late, making excuses like busy and no time etc, I am very busy currently but it takes little effort to get up 30 mins earlier and hit some balls in my net.

Due to laziness I've also crept back in to old habits and my swing is not producing consistent shots, especially with irons the normal strength of my game, no surprise my swing is also not looking great.

So I did some thinking to when I was hitting the ball the best this year, which was in the spring, so scanned back through the thread and came across my 2nd lesson notes with Zane. I've spend half hour in my net each morning doing the drills and I'm hitting the ball so much better again. Have a county competition coming up Sunday at Littlestone which I am now feeling really good about.

2nd Lesson w/ Zane

I've made good progress since the first lesson, always good to hear the hours u put in have had positive changes. Face in a much better position at p6, and body starting to get more open, basically we are just going to keep pushing this further. Still need more upper body rotation through the shot.

The feel is that my left shoulder turns and moves south easterly or to 4.30 on a clock, the real big key for me is to feel that my arms are slow and do nothing on the downswing until p8/9. Which feels super odd and like there's no power, because I associate speed with arm and hand activity. We did a drill where he showed me that its the rotation of the shoulders and chest that create the shaft lean at impact, set up normally and if you only open your hips then your arms and hands don't move, obviously you can force the hands forward but that's not a good way to do it. If however you address the ball then get that left shoulder working away and chest opening up, voila the arms and hands move infront of the ball and create shaft lean.

Once I had the understanding down we moved onto some drills and work on what feelings I get for the correct motion. I like how he gives me a few drills to work with rather than just say 1, it keeps me more engaged mentally and it's nice as different things may work different days. Especially in the long run as we all know a huge part of playing good golf consistently is self maintenance and knowing what works for you when things are a bit off.

Drill 1: Ball really far forward in my stance, like a few inches outside the front foot but setup with the club in normal position. The key is to get to the ball by using rotation to get the shaft lean, not by forcing the lean or sliding weight forward. Ball flight is higher and is straight to a fade. This drill really gives me a good feel of the hands travelling lower and more left after impact and how much more room there is for the arms. But man does it feel when you setup that you're going to air shot it!

Drill 2: Put an alignment stick in something so it's vertical or use a bag, place it about a foot to the target side of my left foot and half way inbetween toe line and ball line. Swing an alignment stick fast and get super open whilst stopping the alignment stick from hitting the object setup. This gives a really good feeling of having quieter hands and the body controlling them. I'm sure I've seen a drill or similar by GG as a drill to get super open.

Drill 3: I call this the swish drill, I mentioned it in the first lesson but need to work on it even more now. This is an extension of the previous drill, where you just swing an alignment stick but try to make the noise up around p9. This also really gives me a feel for the passive arms and how I need to rotate more post impact.

Drill 4: Hit some 1/2 or 3/4 shots feeling at p9 that the club is vertical and the club face is pointing back behind me, which helps get the pivot leading the hands through the shot.

Here's a video of me doing drill 2, coupled with an image of a swing after:

https://www.instagra...anescotlandgolf

Towards the end of the lesson I felt like getting the feeling of being open at impact was very achievable and almost easy, the big bit for me is fixing the release. I could get to a better impact but then the arms still wanted to work as they used to and the ball would go left. The key for me is keeping that rotation right through the shot and keeping the feeling of the arms passive and doing nothing. It just feels like I'm not swinging fast at all, but in reality I am it's just a different and better fast. Plus the dynamic loft was lower so I was hitting it further. I was hitting 3/4 no arm feel 7 irons 170-175 which is a stretch for a full swing normally for me.

So I need to realise what I think is fast isn't fast, and need to reprogram the correct feel. It just feels very strange.

I'm reminded of an image Bradley hughes posted recently showing Hogan on his followthrough and saying the reason Hogan was the best was because of how fast his pivot was post impact, it was the fastest. That's the sort of imagery I'm working on in my head. We also discussed that putting a stick down on the target line infront of the ball and hitting little cuts will help with this pattern and getting the upper body more open (like drill 1) and may eventually be my stock shot. I'm fine with that, whatever works out most consistent