2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What clubs does you junior golfer carry in their bag

HWGOLF

What shafts are you guys using for the juniors who are using OEM irons? I'm thinking about new irons myself and thought I'd reuse my 714 AP2 heads for my son, but I haven't really seen aftermarket junior iron shafts. He plays Flynns now and I know Mike sells shafts, but I'm curious what others have used.

Kuro Kage TiNi in A flex for my son's AP1's.

Kuro Kage shafts are great and hard to beat if your looking for something lightweight If you start looking there are a lot shafts out there and very lightweight. If you are needing to buy junior shafts then you really should not be buying OEM clubs. If a kid can swing above 60 mph then buying women's flex will work.

The only kids I know that were fitted with OEM clubs are lefty's because it used to be hard to get the better kids clubs for them. I don't believe that is an issue anymore.

Being lightweight is certainly part of it but length was the other factor I wasn’t sure about. He is 10, so even the length of a woman’s shaft for irons is going to be too long. I think he will make it through the fall and next spring with this set assuming no major growth spurt. So this would be more of a the 11/12 year old set and I am just trying to think ahead.

My other pain is his younger sister is a giant for her age so this current set probably won’t work as hand me downs as she is as big as he is!

You can cut down the shafts but make sure you adjust the loft / lie accordingly. My boy is only nine and was fitted for his current set.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Interesting to see many young kids hit OEM drivers/clubs

My son still uses TS clubs

At what age/size/swing speed do you think it makes a big enough difference? Are there advantages to playing OEM sooner/later?

I always figured if he could be competitive and win with TS then waiting to switch to OEM would only help him that much more in the future but would be open to switching sooner if there were other considerations and advantages other than just distance

Mine switched at 9/10. Wondered why everyone was 10-20 yards longer on a local tour because mine was always as long or in some cases longer than everyone there. Noticed after the 3rd tourney in the local that the kids out driving him were using OEM drivers and woods. Neighbor down the street had given me a Senior Flex RBZ 3W and it was just sitting in the garage. I cut it down that night. He went to an after school function the very next day (Monday) and was right around 10 yards longer with the cut down 3W than he was his US Kids Driver. I then had a used Jet Speed with a senior shaft two day aired to me from Global Golf.com. I cut it down on Thursday, he practiced with it on Friday, he out drove his opponents on Saturday and won. He was 15 to 20 yards longer with the Jet Speed than he was the US Kids. Been using OEM woods ever since.

My experience was a little bit different. I think the OEM driver carries farther (assuming its the same length as US Kids TS driver, but the US Kids TS driver definitely has lower spin and rolls a ton.

Interesting to see many young kids hit OEM drivers/clubs

My son still uses TS clubs

At what age/size/swing speed do you think it makes a big enough difference? Are there advantages to playing OEM sooner/later?

I always figured if he could be competitive and win with TS then waiting to switch to OEM would only help him that much more in the future but would be open to switching sooner if there were other considerations and advantages other than just distance

Mine switched at 9/10. Wondered why everyone was 10-20 yards longer on a local tour because mine was always as long or in some cases longer than everyone there. Noticed after the 3rd tourney in the local that the kids out driving him were using OEM drivers and woods. Neighbor down the street had given me a Senior Flex RBZ 3W and it was just sitting in the garage. I cut it down that night. He went to an after school function the very next day (Monday) and was right around 10 yards longer with the cut down 3W than he was his US Kids Driver. I then had a used Jet Speed with a senior shaft two day aired to me from Global Golf.com. I cut it down on Thursday, he practiced with it on Friday, he out drove his opponents on Saturday and won. He was 15 to 20 yards longer with the Jet Speed than he was the US Kids. Been using OEM woods ever since.

My experience was a little bit different. I think the OEM driver carries farther (assuming its the same length) as US Kids TS driver, but the US Kids TS driver definitely has lower spin and rolls a ton. That being said, carry was more important than roll out without control. Switched to Cobra Junior Fly Z at age 7 and M2 at age 8. Just retipped cobra shaft with TM tip.

9-year old

Driver - 2017 M2

Irons - Mizuno MP-5s with Zelos steel shaft (R2 flex)

Hybrid - 4H titleist 915

5W - 2017 M1 (only bc you can switch shafts)

Wedges - Mizuno S-5 in 50*, 54* and 58*

Mizuno MP-5s have more traditional lofts. Also, Mizunos are 1* to 2* flat when compared to other OEMs. Length match US Kids 57 tour series.

9-year old

Driver - 2017 M2

Hybrid - 4H titleist 915

Mizuno MP-5s have more traditional lofts. Also, Mizunos are 1* to 2* flat when compared to other OEMs. Length match US Kids 57 tour series.

What is your kids swing speed?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

9-year old

Driver - 2017 M2

Hybrid - 4H titleist 915

He 9. WHY is he swinging blades? Most PGA tour pros don't even swing those.

9-year old

Driver - 2017 M2

Hybrid - 4H titleist 915

You don't happen to go by the name Ace do you?

Just having a little fun. But seriously, MP5s for a 9yo?

9-year old

Driver - 2017 M2

Hybrid - 4H titleist 915

Did you mean to say the MP-H5's?

9-year old

Driver - 2017 M2

Hybrid - 4H titleist 915

To each his own I guess but those irons are defying all logic and standardized patterns of thought for a 9 year old who would be in 57" USKids clubs....

I think every kid is different. For us, he can hit it through the proper windows with those clubs, including the 4 iron (albeit, it’s not pure 50% of the time). When he started that set he would hit 8 iron 5/10 in the sweet spot and toe the rest (have to love foot powder). Now, I am comfortable that p-7 iron that he can hit 80-90% pure. 6-5 irons probably 70% right now, if I’m being honest. Also, I had previously bought one mp-4 iron on eBay and built it as a range club.

So why the MP-5s? One, I’m not a fan of jacked up lofts with a face bigger than US Kids. Two, he has to learn what a mishit is. Three, I think it promotes much more efficient practice and will ultimately make him a better ball striker (although I will unlikely ever move to GI clubs for a number of reasons); you can find out something is wrong pretty quickly and we don’t have the time to practice much given his other commitments. Four, they were my heads and I wanted a new set :). Five, much easier to bend lie of forged clubs, which needed to be done. Six, if you’re a golfwxer, MP-5s and MP-64s are arguably the two best irons ever made.

BTW - his pga junior coach loves his progression and use of these clubs (I am his only real coach). If he was shorter than anyone we play on our local tours with or wasn’t launching them at appropriate angles, maybe I would only use the set as a range set, but he’s fine.

I think the only new club was the M1 fairway wood (if you don’t know, AJGA discount is huge and well worth a junior annual membership); again bc I needed a fairway wood that I could easily switch shafts as he grows. Hybrid was mine - just changed setting and got an appropriate shaft. Driver, I don’t think OEM goes any longer in total distance, but they carry farther than US Kids Tour (at least for my son). US Kids woods just seem to have a lot of roll out and I hated trajectory on those for my son.

Big fan of the zelos shafts for juniors. You guys should check them out as they weigh less than 80 grams. All in all, didn’t cost me much and I just have to change shafts while he grows. Clubs should last 3 seasons.

If you have a strong enough 9-10 year-old, get a blade (single iron that will run you like $60 used and buy a zelos or graphite shaft; have it built (total cost should be about $120)) and have them work on their swing. Just my 2 cents. Of course everyone has/will have differing opinions.

9-year old

Driver - 2017 M2

Hybrid - 4H titleist 915

What is your kids swing speed?

Heavy - haven’t measure his swing speed. But here are approximates of his distances (all in carry), so far this spring in colder weather:

Driver - 165-175

5 wood - 150-160

Hybrid - 140-150

4i - 130

5i - 125

6i - 115

7i - 110

8i - 100

9i - 90-95

And so on...

And no, I don’t believe that playing in GI irons bent to the same lofts or graphite shafts would change any of those numbers...

I think every kid is different. For us, he can hit it through the proper windows with those clubs, including the 4 iron (albeit, it's not pure 50% of the time). When he started that set he would hit 8 iron 5/10 in the sweet spot and toe the rest (have to love foot powder). Now, I am comfortable that p-7 iron that he can hit 80-90% pure. 6-5 irons probably 70% right now, if I'm being honest. Also, I had previously bought one mp-4 iron on eBay and built it as a range club.

So why the MP-5s? One, I'm not a fan of jacked up lofts with a face bigger than US Kids. Two, he has to learn what a mishit is. Three, I think it promotes much more efficient practice and will ultimately make him a better ball striker (although I will unlikely ever move to GI clubs for a number of reasons); you can find out something is wrong pretty quickly and we don't have the time to practice much given his other commitments. Four, they were my heads and I wanted a new set :). Five, much easier to bend lie of forged clubs, which needed to be done. Six, if you're a golfwxer, MP-5s and MP-64s are arguably the two best irons ever made.

BTW - his pga junior coach loves his progression and use of these clubs (I am his only real coach). If he was shorter than anyone we play on our local tours with or wasn't launching them at appropriate angles, maybe I would only use the set as a range set, but he's fine.

I think the only new club was the M1 fairway wood (if you don't know, AJGA discount is huge and well worth a junior annual membership); again bc I needed a fairway wood that I could easily switch shafts as he grows. Hybrid was mine - just changed setting and got an appropriate shaft. Driver, I don't think OEM goes any longer in total distance, but they carry farther than US Kids Tour (at least for my son). US Kids woods just seem to have a lot of roll out and I hated trajectory on those for my son.

Big fan of the zelos shafts for juniors. You guys should check them out as they weigh less than 80 grams. All in all, didn't cost me much and I just have to change shafts while he grows. Clubs should last 3 seasons.

If you have a strong enough 9-10 year-old, get a blade (single iron that will run you like $60 used and buy a zelos or graphite shaft; have it built (total cost should be about $120)) and have them work on their swing. Just my 2 cents. Of course everyone has/will have differing opinions.

Lot of great points I agree with and some I don't. Not going to debate either but I do have a set of MP-60's in the garage and I'm watching a zelos 7 auction on ebay.

Yesterday I asked the boy if his clubs were too light and he indicated that they probably were... last fitting was about a year ago now.

I think every kid is different. For us, he can hit it through the proper windows with those clubs, including the 4 iron (albeit, it's not pure 50% of the time). When he started that set he would hit 8 iron 5/10 in the sweet spot and toe the rest (have to love foot powder). Now, I am comfortable that p-7 iron that he can hit 80-90% pure. 6-5 irons probably 70% right now, if I'm being honest. Also, I had previously bought one mp-4 iron on eBay and built it as a range club.

So why the MP-5s? One, I'm not a fan of jacked up lofts with a face bigger than US Kids. Two, he has to learn what a mishit is. Three, I think it promotes much more efficient practice and will ultimately make him a better ball striker (although I will unlikely ever move to GI clubs for a number of reasons); you can find out something is wrong pretty quickly and we don't have the time to practice much given his other commitments. Four, they were my heads and I wanted a new set :). Five, much easier to bend lie of forged clubs, which needed to be done. Six, if you're a golfwxer, MP-5s and MP-64s are arguably the two best irons ever made.

BTW - his pga junior coach loves his progression and use of these clubs (I am his only real coach). If he was shorter than anyone we play on our local tours with or wasn't launching them at appropriate angles, maybe I would only use the set as a range set, but he's fine.

I think the only new club was the M1 fairway wood (if you don't know, AJGA discount is huge and well worth a junior annual membership); again bc I needed a fairway wood that I could easily switch shafts as he grows. Hybrid was mine - just changed setting and got an appropriate shaft. Driver, I don't think OEM goes any longer in total distance, but they carry farther than US Kids Tour (at least for my son). US Kids woods just seem to have a lot of roll out and I hated trajectory on those for my son.

Big fan of the zelos shafts for juniors. You guys should check them out as they weigh less than 80 grams. All in all, didn't cost me much and I just have to change shafts while he grows. Clubs should last 3 seasons.

To each his own. A couple of decent points, but several that I don't agree with.

I agree. No need to debate the blade v cavity back as this is a junior forum and it will be endless. I just post to give insight on what I think in hopes that it will provide advice to others. We're all seeking improvement, nothing else.

It goes back to the yardage thing... have them play longer yardages early so they have to learn to save par or let them play short yardages so they learn to go low. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

My daughter is 12, 13 next week. We just got through buying her new clubs. M2 Driver and 3 Wood. Titleist 816 23 degree hybrid. Titleist AP3 irons, 5 through GW. AP3's have a 43 degree pitching wedge so they offer a 48 degree gap wedge also which we did get. She has Titleist 52, 56, and 60 degree SM6 Vokey wedges. Taylormade Spider putter. We spent months putting that set together and I'm so glad we finally got them finished. She loves them and is killing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Our older son went from USKids TS to Ping i's when he was 12 and we will probably do the same with our 11 yr old, about to be 12. The younger plays with a Cobra driver (great deals on them and the Cobra junior free shaft program is worthwhile) and the other plays TM M3, both driver and 3W (he just turned 14). The younger shoots in the low 80's, occasionally in the 70's so he will start with something a little more forgiving - there is no point at all in going with blades when even a lot of tour pro's are moving away from pure blades. The 14 year old could handle blades as he can shoot below par from our clubs men's tees (6,800) - but there is no reason for young juniors to be playing pure blades.

I also feel strongly that kids should enjoy the game so why not provide equipment that is suited to their level of play and will help them get the ball in the air and provide forgiveness on off center strikes? For my 12 year old, I like the look of the AP1's (maybe even AP3's), Ping G400/700, TM M3 or P790's and some of the Mizuno's mentioned in this article on junior transition irons: https://thejuniorgol...ansition-irons/

A BIG part of this is getting the right shafts fitted and making sure the lie and grips are appropriate. My 14 year old has steel stiff shafts (irons) and X-Stiff (6.5) for the driver - all professionally fitted - but he was in regular flex until 6 months ago before the growth spurt hit and driver head speed went from low 90's to 105+ Point being, at this age things change quickly and new shaft might be needed sooner than expected.

Our older son went from USKids TS to Ping i's when he was 12 and we will probably do the same with our 11 yr old, about to be 12. The younger plays with a Cobra driver (great deals on them and the Cobra junior free shaft program is worthwhile) and the other plays TM M3, both driver and 3W (he just turned 14). The younger shoots in the low 80's, occasionally in the 70's so he will start with something a little more forgiving - there is no point at all in going with blades when even a lot of tour pro's are moving away from pure blades. The 14 year old could handle blades as he can shoot below par from our clubs men's tees (6,800) - but there is no reason for young juniors to be playing pure blades.

I also feel strongly that kids should enjoy the game so why not provide equipment that is suited to their level of play and will help them get the ball in the air and provide forgiveness on off center strikes? For my 12 year old, I like the look of the AP1's (maybe even AP3's), Ping G400/700, TM M3 or P790's and some of the Mizuno's mentioned in this article on junior transition irons: https://thejuniorgol...ansition-irons/

A BIG part of this is getting the right shafts fitted and making sure the lie and grips are appropriate. My 14 year old has steel stiff shafts (irons) and X-Stiff (6.5) for the driver - all professionally fitted - but he was in regular flex until 6 months ago before the growth spurt hit and driver head speed went from low 90's to 105+ Point being, at this age things change quickly and new shaft might be needed sooner than expected.

I got my kid the M3 3W and he hates it. Doesn't like the sound or the ball flight.

I got my kid the M3 3W and he hates it. Doesn't like the sound or the ball flight.

Actually I got that wrong, mine went with the M4 Tour not M3, he didn't like the M3 3W either but for him it was the channel under the club that seemed to get stuck when he started the backswing - almost had to lift the club instead of drawing it back as he prefers. M4 has a flat bottom, not adjustable. He also like the Epic. Out of interest, what did your son end up going with?

Actually I got that wrong, mine went with the M4 Tour not M3, he didn't like the M3 3W either but for him it was the channel under the club that seemed to get stuck when he started the backswing - almost had to lift the club instead of drawing it back as he prefers. M4 has a flat bottom, not adjustable. He also like the Epic. Out of interest, what did your son end up going with?

Sorry, I meant M4 as well. I just bought him the M4. His M2 snapped in half when his bag fell off of the back of the cart. I have a Taylormade discount and got it for $150 so figured what the heck. A used M2 would cost me the same as a new M4 so I bought it. When you find a 3W you like, you keep it forever. He claims it is the club, I watch him swing and I think he doesn't trust it and he swings the club differently with it in his hands.

My son plays the Epic 3W and loves it... probably his favorite club in the bag. Tried the M4 at the local golf shop and he hated the feel and sound. The Callaway Preowned site just restocked the epic line of woods. If you're interested I'd start there.

Currently my 8yo is using

M2 Driver

Ping Moxie 3W

VT Max 5W

VT Max 5i

USK UL-48 6-SW

VT Max 52*

We've added clubs over the past year as we've found gaps in the yardage we wanted to fill.

Just figured I'd update as he's slightly outgrown this set. Just turned 9 a couple weeks ago.

M2 (2017) Driver

M1 (2016) 3W

M2 (2017) 5W

USKids TS-3 5i-LW

Still looking for something to cover the gap between the 5i and 5W. Tried out an M2 3Hybrid, but was just too heavy. May pick up a 3Hybrid from USkids instead.

10 year old son

Cobra F6 JR Driver with 39" shaft, set to 14, removed orange weight, put clear weight on back

Cobra ladies Biocell 3-4 wood

Cobra ladies Fly-z 4-5 hybrid

Cobra ladies Fly-z 5-6 hybrid

Vt-Maxx 5-LW

Odyssey O-Works #7

It may look excessive, but my justification is that I don't play golf, let alone tournament golf. The good equipment would better serve him than me.

I have a $400 Callaway set from Costco, and I've used it maybe total of 2 rounds last year?

Cobra F6 JR Driver with 39" shaft, set to 14, removed orange weight, put clear weight on back

Just make sure you have the clear thing or a weight screwed in each of the holes (front and back) otherwise it would be considered non-conforming.