Your Longest Drive Ever...? (I know)

mhawk

I know 90% of you will just call me a liar (probably already rolling your eyes) but I hit my personal longest drive ever last Friday and have to tell SOMEONE...

San Juan Oaks, #17. Elevated Tee and downsloping fairway but I ended up 344 yards from where I hit with 80 yards into the green and a 60º in my hand. Yes, I got a lot of roll, maybe 50 yards. It was a beautiful tee shot with a slight draw that was just PIPED down the center and got a perfect bounce and rolled out deep. I've never hit a ball that far on that hole (well any hole), never seen anyone else do it either. Had 2 witnesses so I was walking tall! ;)

Here's a visual of where it came to rest (red dot)and those carts are typically where a decent drive would end up:

Wondering how long YOUR longest drive is! :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember 2 great drives.

I can tell you the distances in metres.

One was at my home golf club, par 5 of 445 metres. Great drive with the perfect draw and a big rebound that reached the downhill.

I measured the guys driving the tee and they were 292 metres form my ball. Second shot was a 9 iron to the green.

Second one I remember was at the 15th hole of the gleaneagles PGA Century course (ryder course venue 2014).

463 yards long, downhill with wind blowing on the back. Perfect drive which measured 288 metres and a pitching wedge as a second shot.

My golf buddy, +1 hcp and waaay long, on the same hole drove 313 metres.

Ah, I was forgetting not the longest but the 2 most emotional drives: the 17th and 18th of the old course.

Wind blowing 36/45 mph from the back (almost unplayable!), perfect drive on yhe 17th over the hotel with some draw, found it just on rough on the left but had a pitch left (from 140 metres!).

On the 18th I hooked a little bit and I was on the left of the green, I putted it just over the valley of sin.

The longest I ever hit was on a par 5 about 450 yards long.

There was a train going by the right side and everyone was complaining about the noise.

Well, I hit a slice that went about 240-250 and landed on one of the coal cars.

You could see the white ball against the black coal.

That train probably carried the ball at least 75 miles to the destination.

We all laughed about it.

391 on 18th at the Kapalua Plantation Course (stationed in Hawaii for 6 years, Army), wind behind me and downhill, it rolled at least 120 yards easy...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Bear Dance in Colorado. First time at elevation and the conditions were firm and fast. If I remember correctly, it was #11, a downhill par 4 measuring 485 from the black. I hit a good drive, right on the line I had intended, which on my home course in MN would probably carry 240ish and roll out (on a good day) close to 270. That's max distance for me.

When I got up to the ball, I lasered 70 yards to a front pin. So I'm guesstimating that I may have almost touched 400 with the roll out.

Coming back to MN after a few rounds in Colorado was a real let down.

406 yards on Roy Kizer Golf Course, hole 6. Playing downwind 13mph with crispy, dried-out February fairways, I destroyed one on line with the right side of the green, got a huge kick off a mound in the fairway, and ended up 23 feet from the cup.

The very next hole, also playing downwind, requires a 302 carry over water to reach the peninsula where the green sits another 45 yards up a small slope. My drive cleared the hazard, bounced just in front of the green, and proceeded to roll through everything, stopping at 383.

Other highlights include a 391 yard bullet on the 18th at Cedar Creek in San Antonio (got about 80 yards of roll), and a monstrous 394 on the 9th at Roy Kizer. I made bogey off both :russian_roulette:

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

At sea level without slope or wind aid, 270 yards nutting the shot coming out of my shoes. 310 yards is the longest I've hit with a 30+ mph wind behind me.

Callaway Epic GBB Driver
Callaway X2 Hot 3,5 Woods
Callaway X2 Hot 3, 4 Hybrids
Bridgestone J40 DPC (5-P) Project X 5.5
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB Wedge 52
Bridgestone J40 58 Wedge
Odyssey White Ice 9 Putter

There are two I remember. Both with a Pittsburgh Persimmon driver. Was addressing my ball when two high school kids came walking down the path past the first tee. They were talking loudly and their metal spikes making a lot of noise. I backed away and we glared at them. They stopped behind the tee and I stepped up and crushed a beautiful 300 yd butter cut down the middle. About 40 yards past my norm.

The other time we were on a course we'd never played before. Step up to the tee on a par 5 that went uphill and then down hill about 250 out. There is a ranger in a cart at the crest of the hill and the 4some in front of us also at the crest. The ranger is motioning us to hit. We wave him off. They're still in range. He waves us to hit again and starts gesticulating wildly and yelling something at us for us to hit or else. I step up and make a big smooth swing. The ball flew way over the ranger and the group in front of us and landed down the hill where we couldn't see it. I found the ball about 400 yards from the tee under a pine tree. I always wonder if it got there on its own.

Wow, nice drive.

You know most of the WRX'er will probably drive the green of airmail it , right ?

I had a few drive in the past which I will never duplicate, A tight driving hole 419 yard with fairway raised up 40 yards at about 220 out. I was close to a hundred out to the green with a persimmon wood driver with TTDG S400 in it. This was an early bird round with cold temperature and dew on the grass.

Sea level, hot dry day, par 4 with a slight dogleg right with bunkers protecting the corner, little bit uphill to the bunkers then downhill to a creek which runs short of the green. I made a quad on the previous hole so I let loose on a drive over the bunkers which probably just carried into the fairway (265 to carry the bunkers). Anyway it must have gotten a great kick down the hill because it rolled out to 322 measured by my gps. Felt good to have the golf gods get my ball rolling down the fairway almost to the creek in front of the green

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I personally have no clue what my longest all time drive is as I don’t keep track. While I understand why some want to keep track of theirs, why would one still “count” a drive that was hit extreme downhill, or down wind, or at high elevation, etc.

Legitimate question so not at all trying to ruffle any feathers. Just genuinely interested in what the guys who do keep track of said drives and conditions have to say.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Probably the longest true drive for me is about 310.

A par 4, and everything went perfect. It also was low, and had a lot of roll.

The longest freak drive was on a par 5.

I hit a drive that carried about 245-250, and it hit a concrete yardage marker in the fairway.

It bounced high and landed at about 370 yards.

These are some great stories, keep em coming!

As for why... why not? We keep track of every aspect of every other shot. What makes D any different???

Im happy to know that the ball can actually go beyond "300" yards. So many doubters it cracks me up.

You keep track of every aspect of every shot?

Curious - on the day of the remarkably long drive during your round at San Juan Oaks - what was your score?

I drove it over the back of a short par 4 354m, if the measurement is to middle green then it was about 380m. The course is in open land between a lake and the ocean and we played in the most terrible conditions, winds were hurricane like and gusted up quickly so you couldn't time your shot to take advantage of any dropoff! The drive was before the sideways rain started, so it had that advantage too. It was a boys trip, so there was no pansying out when your $ are already sunk, it was highly memorable though for many reasons.

The 550m par 5 18th there was playing like a par 9 that day. Wind was directly into us, I got a half decent drive away. The next shot was something I'll remember til I die. I need distance. Distance with my fairway. I punished it like Tiger wood. Absolutely nutted it and the ball penetrated a good 100m and dropped and rolled backwards. I couldn't have hit it better. It was cool because it didn't even really balloon, it's like it turned into a brick and fell. I think I started trying to understand shafts after that, #offtherackstiffflexisnotforeveryone.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5cMht6OE"]I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.[/url]

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1496985379' post='15667418']
[quote name='mothman65' timestamp='1496984980' post='15667404']
Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?
[/quote]

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.
[/quote]

As for why... why not? We keep track of every aspect of every other shot. What makes D any different???

Im happy to know that the ball can actually go beyond "300" yards. So many doubters it cracks me up.

You keep track of every aspect of every shot?

Curious - on the day of the remarkably long drive during your round at San Juan Oaks - what was your score?

110 if you must know. My best score at that course was a month ago, 100. Im a 19.6 hc. Trying to get better. Had a blast out there - always do! I did Par that hole though, one of the few that day. Bunkers and short game are what I struggle the most with

Im happy to know that the ball can actually go beyond “300” yards. So many doubters it cracks me up.

I understand the tracking of stats but every aspect from the longest drive or drives you’ve ever hit? The extreme variables account for the long ending total distance of the drive, or it’s not “all you” for the player. It’s like Davis Simms counting the distance of the 7i he hit down the road in Tin Cup and using it as his longest 7i for topic.

Certainly not doubting or trying to push off topic. Just wondering why guys save that moment in their minds of an absurdly long out of the ordinary drive where so many other variables came in to play to generate that ending number.

Most importantly at the end of the day you enjoyed it and made you feel good about it and that’s all the matters.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I understand the tracking of stats but every aspect from the longest drive or drives you've ever hit? The extreme variables account for the long ending total distance of the drive, or it's not "all you" for the player. It's like Davis Simms counting the distance of the 7i he hit down the road in Tin Cup and using it as his longest 7i for topic.

Certainly not doubting or trying to push off topic. Just wondering why guys save that moment in their minds of an absurdly long out of the ordinary drive where so many other variables came in to play to generate that ending number.

Most importantly at the end of the day you enjoyed it and made you feel good about it and that's all the matters.

I don't track my shots that close man... memorable ones stand out. I've played this course dozens of times - it was "all me" that made this drive go 50 yards further than I've ever hit it before - a personal best. Nothing more nothing less. Just thought I would share and try starting a fun thread

- 410 since it was a 500 yard par 5 and only had 90 left in. Forget that it was a 90 degree dogleg.

- 350+ once when hitting a cart path for a few bounces. Had 150 left in on a par 5 and still made bogey.

- 325 measured with GPS. Slightly downhill, little bit of wind behind lots of roll and musta hit it on the screws because I rarely sniff 285 these days let alone 300+.

Back in the day I am sure I hit some past the 325 mark but without GPS during those days hard to tell. So I consider 325 my longest in the modern era.

Mine was a SkyCaddie-measured 354 yards at Greystone GC #5. Downhill, two cart path bounces, right in the middle of the fairway about 20 yards in front of the green. Unfortunately I pitched up, and two-putted for par.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I personally have no clue what my longest all time drive is as I don't keep track. While I understand why some want to keep track of theirs, why would one still "count" a drive that was hit extreme downhill, or down wind, or at high elevation, etc.

Legitimate question so not at all trying to ruffle any feathers. Just genuinely interested in what the guys who do keep track of said drives and conditions have to say.

I don't keep track at all. The only reason my longest stands out is that I have never before hit a half wedge into a 485 yard hole. I know all the reasons why it went so long, but it was still fun. Hitting down a hill in thin air is a blast -- the ball stays in the air forever.

Bear Dance in Colorado. First time at elevation and the conditions were firm and fast. If I remember correctly, it was #11, a downhill par 4 measuring 485 from the black. I hit a good drive, right on the line I had intended, which on my home course in MN would probably carry 240ish and roll out (on a good day) close to 270. That's max distance for me.

When I got up to the ball, I lasered 70 yards to a front pin. So I'm guesstimating that I may have almost touched 400 with the roll out.

Coming back to MN after a few rounds in Colorado was a real let down.

I know that shot/hole. Near identical for me Thought ohh I got that one, was surprised to have a 60* left for my shot into the green.

Here in PHX a few 350-368 all severely wind/slope/cartpath assisted. GPS and a few fellow WRX'er verified. That was before two hip replacements when I could actually move the ball out there a little bit. Now I need a bit of help to crack 270

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

The longest I ever hit was on a par 5 about 450 yards long.

There was a train going by the right side and everyone was complaining about the noise.

Well, I hit a slice that went about 240-250 and landed on one of the coal cars.

You could see the white ball against the black coal.

That train probably carried the ball at least 75 miles to the destination.

We all laughed about it.

You took a free drop correct?

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4