SLAZENGER VINTAGE BLADES

Question: so this is killing me. When you guys play old school clubs, particularly blades... do you also feel like you are off by one club in your distances? I know technology has come a long way, but I catch myself sometimes blaming my technique for a shot that comes up short when in reality I should just club up and just enjoy the round... do you guys feel the same way? i always end up trying to kill the ball to get to the distance I get from my modern day Mizunos, resulting in poor contact, fat shots, shanks...

It sounds as though you are looking at your club distance using the club number as your reference. I would suggest using the loft of the club instead. So called modern irons are stronger lofted than older clubs, in some cases by two clubs or more.

Example: my 5 iron is 30*. There are many sets on the market where that club has a "7" on the sole. It doesn't matter which number is on the sole, they're virtually the same club.

Taking that farther, your newer 5 iron may be 23*. There's no real way you'll be able to hit a 30* 5 iron as far as a 23* 5 iron. Don't try to do so, just accept the distance you get from the older club and use the appropriately lofted iron.

Putting it more simply, learn how far the older clubs travel and don't try to compare them to newer sets. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Question: so this is killing me. When you guys play old school clubs, particularly blades... do you also feel like you are off by one club in your distances? I know technology has come a long way, but I catch myself sometimes blaming my technique for a shot that comes up short when in reality I should just club up and just enjoy the round... do you guys feel the same way? i always end up trying to kill the ball to get to the distance I get from my modern day Mizunos, resulting in poor contact, fat shots, shanks...

It sounds as though you are looking at your club distance using the club number as your reference. I would suggest using the loft of the club instead. So called modern irons are stronger lofted than older clubs, in some cases by two clubs or more.

Example: my 5 iron is 30*. There are many sets on the market where that club has a "7" on the sole. It doesn't matter which number is on the sole, they're virtually the same club.

Taking that farther, your newer 5 iron may be 23*. There's no real way you'll be able to hit a 30* 5 iron as far as a 23* 5 iron. Don't try to do so, just accept the distance you get from the older club and use the appropriately lofted iron.

Putting it more simply, learn how far the older clubs travel and don't try to compare them to newer sets. :)

That’s a great way to look at it. I’m going to bring them in to my guy and see, out of curiosity, what the lofts are... thanks for the tip!

That's a great way to look at it. I'm going to bring them in to my guy and see, out of curiosity, what the lofts are... thanks for the tip!

I have to add... I would recommend avoiding the temptation of having them bent stronger to coincide with today's specs. You'll create clubs that double as hardcore garden tools, with a fair amount of offset they didn't originally have.

I have a couple sets of irons that have similar lofts....

one of them is 20/23/26/30/34/38/42/46/50

the other is 19/23/27/31/35/39/43/47/51

One of them is 2-PW, the other is 3-GW. Does it really matter which is which? Both cover essentially the same range of lofts.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking clubs! We need a full report on how they play...

With the winter weather nearly here and my club's Winter League starting this Sunday (I try not to play vintage if I'm partnering another player as they don't seem to appreciate it!) I fear that it might be a while before I get these into play, but the first chance I get I'll do so and report back.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Cool thread, and nice find OP! I have a set of Slezenger Hogan’s in LH, also I used to have a set of Mizuno TP-9s in Lefty. The TP-9s were some sweeeeet looking clubs, I sold them and bought them back once, then stupidly sold them again. Wish I still had them though.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigems-

A very nice set of LH Slazenger irons.

Will see your LH Slazenger Hogan Apex irons 1-E....

and include the LH Slazenger Ben Hogan 1+ irons... 3-PW (Yes, it says Pitching Wedge, not Equalizer)

That’s wicked man!! Congrats on the sweet finds :) My set is missing the 5 and 9 iron unfortunately, and are pretty beat. But they look super cool sitting in an old school bag in my golf room :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• 4 weeks later...

In a moment of weakness I went for a browse on ebay, purely looking, but stumbled on these and had to make an offer, they were delivered today and looking good.

I can't wait for the winter to end so I can get my recently acquired iron sets out on the course!

Slazenger Plus International, 3 to PW with Dynalite regular shafts.

Condition is excellent apart form the grips which, while still giving a decent grip, are just starting to crack in places.

Really nice, Jiggered. I love the square toe in particular. Any idea what year?

I don't I'm afraid, there's a dearth of information on UK clubs when it comes to dates etc, I've even been considering doing a bit of research on it myself but the more I delve into it the bigger the task appears.

In an earlier post (#15) nolixul said that they could be 50s or 60s, I'd go for 60s if pushed for an answer.

Really nice, Jiggered. I love the square toe in particular. Any idea what year?

I don't I'm afraid, there's a dearth of information on UK clubs when it comes to dates etc, I've even been considering doing a bit of research on it myself but the more I delve into it the bigger the task appears.

In an earlier post (#15) nolixul said that they could be 50s or 60s, I'd go for 60s if pushed for an answer.

As early as that? That makes their condition even more amazing. As Stixman said, they look to be straight out of the box.

Great purchase. I have to say, I particularly like the ferrules.

When did Dynalite shafts first appear?

I don't know when Dynalite first appeared and was going on the date suggestion of nolixul for my guess, pic of the bands below.

The heads are pinned if that gives any indication re date.

These woods are on Ebay now at an unrepeatable price and near mint condition. They have the same shaft and labels and the same 'International' logo. My bet is they are from an equivalent year and possibly easier to make an age guesstimate.

eBay item number:

I'd buy them just for the "Made in England" on the sole. When was the last time you saw that on...anything?

• 5 months later...

The chunky piece in the chippy invariably shows some posterior cleavage and she has that tattooed just above the vertical divide....

Hope you've had your supper.....for a small consideration I will reveal the location,with sufficient interest a coach trip might be arranged....

Many years ago when caddying for my pal John Seymour at Maxstoke Park he told me to go and watch one of the pro's on the practice range,this guy was fizzing his iron shots downrange,I mean literally FIZZING,amazing sound with that low-starting then climbing trajectory that peaked with the ball dropping softly to earth.

It was Jim Rhodes from South Staffs who earned a fair few quid on the Seniors' Tour and in his bag a set of Slazenger Plus irons,I don't know what he played with as a Senior but when I watched him he was one of the big boys of the Midland Region.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all for your comments,

Time goes so fast. Since March 2016, my Slazenger iron set collection has got bigger:

- Slazenger Challenge, Plus, Progrind, Royal Panther, Seve Blades, Signature, Supremo, Supremo TP, TPM, XT-20, XTC and last but not least SB-02 (stiff shaft like Ballesteros) ... still missing the 276 iron set of my youth. I was lucky also to get a full set of Embassador woods (1,2,3,4,5) which were in their original packaging and new... for 15 £.

- I also bought a few vintage Titleist iron sets, which are very easy to play: Titleist 775 CB, DCI 990, ZB.

- I also got some other vintage but so nice clubs like Ben Hogan Edge, Dunlop Autralian blades, Tommy Armour 845S (graphite).

- Some of those old iron sets behave like new ones, not much difference except the sweetness when you hit the ball, otherwise distance and precision are not so different despite what manufacturers say.

- Every weekend I play with a different iron set for fun (same feeling than driving a vintage car).

- I will retire within 2,5 years in Finland and guess what I will do ... play with vintage clubs nearly every day.

- Best regards to all,

A.

• Like 2

Anthony, welcome back! It's nice to see an update, and that you're still active in your collecting vintage clubs.

It can certainly be addicting.

I'm mildly jealous that you're retiring in only 30 months or so. I have a bit longer to wait. :)

Hope you will continue posting.

-ed, from the New World ;)

Great stuff, I'm hoping to retire soon with similar ambitions.

Good to see your collection growing, a good selection of Slazengers there, from blades through to cavity backs!

Are the Challenge irons the SB Eurostar? (another Seve connection I believe). I've only seen these once and in very poor condition.

The Pro Grind set I saw were cavity back in 3 to 7 and blades in 8 to PW, does this agree with yours?

I have a passion for Slazenger too and have the below in my collection:

Peter Alliss - https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19117478/#Comment_19117478

Hogan Plus 1

Jack Nicklaus $1m

Slazenger Plus International (I think you have a set of these yourself)

Ambassador

Johnny Miller JM63 (An American model I believe)

wm4did9uypgn.png

cf96r61bmhc2.png

3qgx7rzxt6tb.png

3f99l67sys2z.png

xa95dw7g48h3.png

• Like 1