Your Longest Drive Ever...? (I know)

mhawk

I have three that stand out in my mind:

-A 435 yarder on a par 5. Had a chip shot in.

-A 425 yarder that went over the green on a 410 yard hole.

-A 375 yard carry in 10 degree weather. Ball went about 378, could see the pitch mark just behind my ball (fairways were soaked).

I typically hit 1-3 drives over 400 each year, obviously condition (wind) aided.

Bonus: I forgot about a 375 yard 3 wood with no wind. Blistered a draw about 285 in the air and caught a speed slot on a firm and fast course for 90 yards of roll!

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure, i was really long at 25-28 and then lost it a bit.

Back then i played the course that i eventually joined and am still a member at now, as a guest. And on a 453yd par 4 that is in a valley and is always soaking wet, i had 132yds in for my second. I probably flew it 300+ in the air as this was early in the morning when the course was still wet

I've never been within 20yds of that spot even now, and i'm pretty long again these days. You get pretty much zero roll on this hole. It's at the bottom of our course altitude wise.

I still remember it was with a FT9-tour with a whiteboard 73x, and one of the members i played with said he'd never seen a ball there

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Back in 1993 I was playing (and organizing) in the company golf tournament. I had noted that hole #3 (then hole #12) at Boomerang Golf Course in Greeley, Colorado to be the long drive hole. This is a par 5 at 555 yards for the tees used at the tournament. This was a 2 man Stableford tournament. With my partner safely in the fairway I unloaded on my drive. I was gaming a 1954 MacGregor M85W (S300) and Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression golf balls. We had 148 yards to the middle of the green as a result of my drive. In total the drive was around 400 yards (397 based on the tee marker). Golf at 5,000 feet elevation with a slightly downhill par 5 with a wide fairway is always good for the soul.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I once on a par 5 550 yrds in 25 mph winds hit a drive dead straight down the fairway 432 yrds... the ball had to have hit a sprinkler head and bounce an extra 100 yrds or more .... granted I had the wind helping but I put everything into it..... sad thing was I over shot the green twice and and ended up 2 putting for pare523a4140169a99f2b0c4545ca33fc2b.jpg

For me Rancho Vista Palmdale Calif. 550 yard par 5. I think it was in Feb more than 15 yrs ago when the cold and strong winds dry out the course. The fairways were like concrete and there was a really really really strong wind behind me. I drove it 400 yards and hit a knockdown 9 iron in. My playing partner was proud that he hit a 300 yard drive and then asked where my ball was. :D

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

339 on a 610 yard way downhill par 5, if it was flat it would’ve been like 280 but this hole is wayyy downhill

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

I'm a short hitter, especially as I am recovering from health issues, but I have never been long. A coupe years ago I would say my usual really good drive would go 250, and I would be content. So, I was on the tee of a par four with a slight dogleg left, and I asked my partner (who was more familiar with the course) where to hit. He pointed out a tree down the straight part of the dogleg, so I took aim. So, I made good contact, really good contact, but I pulled the ball, over the corner of the dogleg. I was expecting it to be bad, but since I knew I hit it, I punched my watch to measure it. After not seeing it anywhere it should have been we drove out to a ball in the middle of the fairway, about 100 yards from the green. There it was! My watch said 308. Maybe a little downhill, but not a lot, no cart path, just hit.

I hit a similar one a few weeks later, over trees, a dogleg, and water, to a great place. I decided that's where someone way better than me would try to play to, I have not attempted it since.

The power pull is amazing, but totally unpredictable!

And, I expect I probably doubled both holes. There is a rule that the shot after an amazing drive has to be skulled or hit extremely fat!

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

There is a rule that the shot after an amazing drive has to be skulled or hit extremely fat!

I would add to that rule 'or the next shot will be struck so purely it flies 20 yards further than normal'. After I 'piped' a drive (only 270 these days) on the last hole last night I had a dead on 65 yard shot slightly uphill. My half-swing 60 degree wedge got froggy and went 85 yards in the air, right over the flag into a sand trap leaving a shot where the green sloped severely away from me. Of course in WRX fashion I knocked it to within 15 inches and still made par. 3 'perfect' shots and I only got a stinking par. I was real happy with the results actually.

391 on 18th at the Kapalua Plantation Course (stationed in Hawaii for 6 years, Army), wind behind me and downhill, it rolled at least 120 yards easy...

me too. Caddie said aim at 1 o'clock hit it with everything ya got bro.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

The other time we were on a course we'd never played before. Step up to the tee on a par 5 that went uphill and then down hill about 250 out. There is a ranger in a cart at the crest of the hill and the 4some in front of us also at the crest. The ranger is motioning us to hit. We wave him off. They're still in range. He waves us to hit again and starts gesticulating wildly and yelling something at us for us to hit or else. I step up and make a big smooth swing. The ball flew way over the ranger and the group in front of us and landed down the hill where we couldn't see it. I found the ball about 400 yards from the tee under a pine tree. I always wonder if it got there on its own.

Did you yell fore? How did the follow-up conversation with Mr. Ranger go?

I posted this in another thread a few weeks ago. Although I have played in heavy rain, extreme cold, and light snow, the answer to this one is easy for me. October 3, 1979: I am a first year high school teacher and a group of us decide to go out for 9-holes after school. The sky looks threatening but we are young and enthusiastic about swinging the clubs. The wind started to howl and by the 8th hole, we could hardly keep the ball on the tee. The 8th is a short par 5 of 495 yards. My tee ball left me less than 100-yards from the green. Yup, a drive of approximately 400-yards thanks to an incredible wind gust. We finished the round in the nick of time. THE TORNADO swept through the golf course destroying more than 500 trees that were in its path. If you GOOGLE the Windsor Locks Tornado of 1979, you can read about all of the destruction it caused. We were crazy to be out their but survived our ignorance.

Have you ever had a guy comment on one of your solid drives, "That's the best you've got."? I smile to myself and think, "nope", I once hit one 400-yards.

I posted this in another thread a few weeks ago. Although I have played in heavy rain, extreme cold, and light snow, the answer to this one is easy for me. October 3, 1979: I am a first year high school teacher and a group of us decide to go out for 9-holes after school. The sky looks threatening but we are young and enthusiastic about swinging the clubs. The wind started to howl and by the 8th hole, we could hardly keep the ball on the tee. The 8th is a short par 5 of 495 yards. My tee ball left me less than 100-yards from the green. Yup, a drive of approximately 400-yards thanks to an incredible wind gust. We finished the round in the nick of time. THE TORNADO swept through the golf course destroying more than 500 trees that were in its path. If you GOOGLE the Windsor Locks Tornado of 1979, you can read about all of the destruction it caused. We were crazy to be out their but survived our ignorance.

Have you ever had a guy comment on one of your solid drives, "That's the best you've got."? I smile to myself and think, "nope", I once hit one 400-yards.

Wow. Tornado. In Connecticut. In October.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Locks,_Connecticut,_tornado

I have hit a few over 300 yards. Mostly down hill, down wind, or both. Really have not paid attention to max length drives much these days. If I hit it far enough and in the fairway I am usually happy. Care more about stuffing shots close to the pin and making putts. Executing the correct shot when needed over a full 18 is most important for me now.

Pulled a drive over a tree to the right last Sunday, looked around the tree for 3 minutes when someone told me he found a Titleist 8 near a popular tree 324 yards from the tees. Not one of my best, but I’d take that one. Ended up only 128 yard shot over a California oak tree to the pin for a 3 putt bogey. Less than ideal placement. Can’t really remember any other ones and ones 2 fairways over aren’t worth remembering.

Nice shot OP. SJO is a great course.

I don't know if it's my personal best but I hit a 355 yard drive about a month ago. I even came home and bragged about it to my wife. She was not amused....

Same with me, with the usual golf obsession speech, and did you fix the. . .bit.

I can think of two.

I hit one 299 according to my gps last week on a 510ish par 5 and in the fairway. I swung with all I had and contacted it a bit high and a fraction towards the toe. It looked amazing watching it fly with a bit of a fade. Unfortunately, I semi-topped the next shot and ended up making a bogey.

I hit one 291 gps measured this past summer on a 420ish par 4 that is one of the harder holes on the course. It just ran into the right rough, though it was dead straight, I just pushed it. I hit a good gap wedge to about 12 feet and then the putt lipped in for birdie. That's probably my best hole ever played.

Both were pretty level from tee to fairway and wind was negligible if I remember correctly. I generally hit it 260-270 if I can find it. :)

The course is at like 1000 feet of elevation but I'm not sure what difference that actually makes.

Longest drive ever? I've hit exactly two in my lifetime that were over 400. Both involved the standard wind at my back, elavated tee, carried a ridge, and rock hard fairways verbiage. Both were gps measured, one was 415 the other 418. I'm typically a high fade player so I can easily tell you of the many times where I struck one well into the wind, maybe uphill, where it went less than 200 yards too. I live or die by the wind off the tee. Usually die.

To top it off I had about 65 yards into both of the above par 5's. One I just missed the green, flubbed a chip and then two putted. Par. The other I stuck it to 2.5 feet. I usually feel good about having a tap on birdie, not so much there. I could hit that putt 100x and not miss it. Until it counts that is...

My longest drive happened while playing in a scramble with my buddies at a course I had never played. The hole was 372 yards and fairway was elevated and sloped towards the hole, so when you hit it up over the crest of the hill, you can't really see where it is going to end up. One of my friends had already hit a good drive up the middle, so I was able to put a little extra into it and hope for the best. It was actually the Long Drive hole in the tournament so I put a little extra into it in hopes of winning a prize also. I hit it perfectly straight and long and everyone in my group as well as the people in a group near us hooted and hollered as soon as I hit because of the sound it made when I made contact (two tees for two different holes were very close together).

Total distance was 332 yards, and was actually 2 yards short of the longest drive on the hole for the day.

Probably 290 ish yards. Tilden Park #12, 300 yards park 4, slightly uphill. There's a creek about 240 out which causes most players - including me - to lay up. One day I decided to go for it and pulled out my driver. A guy who sometimes filled-in our foursome - and who was kind of a jerk - says: "You'll never make it." All the motivation I needed and I put some extra juice into the drive. Because of the rise in front of the creek you can't see if you've made it over until you get up there and there was my ball in front of the green. We saw the ball, he said nothing but I said a few things about him in my head. That was 30 years ago and I still feel good about it.