Tiger Woods WITB 2017

Comments

• J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,513 ✭✭
    maxfli985 wrote:

Tiger won't switch clubs until he's worn the faces down on a demo set of irons from TM. I'm sure these are just old Nike blades he has leftover. IF he plays professionally again, you'd have to assume he will be using all TM by that point.

Tiger will be using whatever he wants to use. He probably has a Woods only deal.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
    INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,802 ✭✭
    maxfli985 wrote:

Tiger won't switch clubs until he's worn the faces down on a demo set of irons from TM. I'm sure these are just old Nike blades he has leftover. IF he plays professionally again, you'd have to assume he will be using all TM by that point.

When he plays professionally again:)
  • Lacey UnderallLacey Underall Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭
    edited Oct 11, 2017 #64
    Honestly, they couldn't just build him a set of the new blades and put "Tiger Proto" on it? I'm sorry but this is just one of several reasons why this guy is hard to like. Rory said in that recent podcast "I really don't want to mess with all of that prototype stuff. I don't need something made especially for me. Just give me something that works and I'll play it." Well said.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    2019 WITB
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero 10.5* - Project X Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x
    2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
    52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    Putter: Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,538 ClubWRX

I am not really sure of the details on Tiger and Taylormade's contract, but if I was them I would be a little annoyed. Just use the 730's and the milled grind wedges and get used to them. Clearly re branded Nike irons and using old Nike wedges.

Agreed. I wonder if this could be a indication that TW and TM are parting ways in the future?

I get what you guys are saying - but for a TGR Ventures public appearance talking to a crowd and hitting some high fades, he doesn't exactly need to have a fully structured TM bag. If he was entering a tournament tomorrow, then perhaps.

But I'm sure Taylormade and Tiger both know there's still plenty of time to design the TW Proto Blades before he's ready for tournament golf..

Not to mention no one here knows the structure of his TM contract, although in his press release he stated he'd be working closely w/ TM engineers to produce the clubs he wants to play. We can all agree it's for a maximum of 13 clubs.

That being said, there's not a doubt in my mind those are one-off irons made at the Oven to the exact specifications of his Nike VR Pro blades. I don't blame him....he played those blades very well (even at the tourney in Bahamas) during his miniature comeback. If he hits them well and TM doesn't have anything for him yet, of course those are in the bag.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,756 ClubWRX

Honestly, they couldn't just build him a set of the new blades and put "Tiger Proto" on it? I'm sorry but this is just one of several reasons why this guy is just hard to like. Rory said in that recent podcast "I really don't want to mess with all of that prototype stuff. I don't need something made especially for me. Just give me something that works and I'll play it." Well said.

You must not have been following Tiger's equipment very closely then. This is not new. Everything he had from Nike was custom built just for him (lower cc head driver with glued hosel and irons made specifically for him) and it took A LOT to get him to switch to any type of new equipment. He's hardly the only Tour player that treats his equipment this way either. How much custom Callaway equipment has Phil had made specifically for him over the years?
    WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,538 ClubWRX
    cvhookem63 wrote:

Honestly, they couldn't just build him a set of the new blades and put "Tiger Proto" on it? I'm sorry but this is just one of several reasons why this guy is just hard to like. Rory said in that recent podcast "I really don't want to mess with all of that prototype stuff. I don't need something made especially for me. Just give me something that works and I'll play it." Well said.

You must not have been following Tiger's equipment very closely then. This is not new. Everything he had from Nike was custom built just for him (lower cc head driver with glued hosel and irons made specifically for him) and it took A LOT to get him to switch to any type of new equipment. He's hardly the only Tour player that treats his equipment this way either. How much custom Callaway equipment has Phil had made specifically for him over the years?

But Tiger is "hard to like", so additional scrutiny needs to be applied.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • fillwelixfillwelix Members Posts: 1,271 ✭✭
    I, for one, don't care what he plays, as long as he's walking up 18 late on sunday at augusta.
    WITB
    Taylormade M3 Speeder Evo IV 565 X
    Taylormade M2 2016 3HL HZRDUS Black 75g S
    Mizuno MP33 3i Steelfiber i110 
    Taylormade P770 4i-5i Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade P730 6-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 934 ✭✭
    maxfli985 wrote:

IF he plays professionally again I'd assume he'd use whatever clubs he felt most comfortable with regardless of brand. Dude has enough money, he wants to win. He's not going back out on tour to bag 14 TM clubs and make a few mil a season in endorsements...
      • 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
      • LTD 14.5* Matrix 8M2
      • Vapor Fly Pro 3
      • Titleist T-MB 4
      • VR Forged 5-9
      • SM5 46*
      • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
      • PM Grind 64
      • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭
    Bomber_11 wrote:

Gnomesteel wrote:

mhales10 wrote:

Would not be surprised if those irons (with TGR on them) are made by Mike Taylor and his new company.

Cant see TaylorMade not stamping their name all over the irons if they are indeed TM irons.

Tiger trusts MT and it wouldnt be far fetched if he is still working with him until TM can come up with something similar to his exacting standards.

My thoughts as well.

Does anyone know what Taylor is up to? I was super impressed by his work when I visited The Oven. Clearly one of the best talents out there.

https://www.facebook.../artisangolftx/

Anyone know how much a set of the Artisan Golf "Nike Blades" cost?
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Lacey UnderallLacey Underall Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭
    He did the same thing at Nike, doesn't that kind of back up my point? Sure they eventually released the TW Blades at Nike and I guess they did moderately well. My bet is that these TGR irons never get released. The TM reps have to want their guys playing something that at least resembles retail. So he's not playing their irons, not playing the ball.........I guess the woods and wedges are enough?

No doubt Phil gets a little crazy with his equipment. But if you look at his bag besides the putter he is playing stock Callaway heads......with maybe just a touch of lead tape thrown in there at times. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> You could say the PM wedge was Phil being a diva but they released it at retail and it has done quite well.

Look Tiger is the GOAT, you need an ego to be that good, and I guess he has earned the right to be demanding. But to me it screams "I'm so good that I need something different from everyone else. Nobody makes anything good enough for me." That's just how I read it.
    2019 WITB
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero 10.5* - Project X Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x
    2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
    52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    Putter: Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,498 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

maxfli985 wrote:

Tiger will be using whatever he wants to use. He probably has a Woods only deal.

Maybe the deal has changed, but originally it was woods, irons, and wedges
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,498 ✭✭
    Tiger has just started swinging since the most recent surgery. Just playing what he’s used to until he gets time to test TM irons. TM doesn’t want Tiger using promoting anything Nike in clubs, so he just had the backups done with TGR. Can’t think of a more likely scenario.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,756 ClubWRX
    Holy Moses wrote:

Tiger has just started swinging since the most recent surgery. Just playing what he's used to until he gets time to test TM irons. TM doesn't want Tiger using promoting anything Nike in clubs, so he just had the backups done with TGR. Can't think of a more likely scenario.

Agree with everything here. And that is why the original photos of his bag were taken from an angle where all you could see was the faces. I doubt Tiger or TM wanted the detailed photos released, but here we are.
    WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • GnomesteelGnomesteel Members Posts: 981 ✭✭

Honestly, they couldn't just build him a set of the new blades and put "Tiger Proto" on it? I'm sorry but this is just one of several reasons why this guy is hard to like. Rory said in that recent podcast "I really don't want to mess with all of that prototype stuff. I don't need something made especially for me. Just give me something that works and I'll play it." Well said.

Why are you surprised that he's picky about his clubs? I'm a recreational golfer that only competes in our club championship and I'm picky about my clubs. Heck, if I had his money all I'd do is buy new clubs and play golf.
    fillwelix wrote:

I, for one, don't care what he plays, as long as he's walking up 18 late on sunday at augusta.

Bingo!
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,112 ✭✭
    edited Oct 11, 2017 #77

He did the same thing at Nike, doesn't that kind of back up my point? Sure they eventually released the TW Blades at Nike and I guess they did moderately well. My bet is that these TGR irons never get released. The TM reps have to want their guys playing something that at least resembles retail. So he's not playing their irons, not playing the ball.........I guess the woods and wedges are enough?

No doubt Phil gets a little crazy with his equipment. But if you look at his bag besides the putter he is playing stock Callaway heads......with maybe just a touch of lead tape thrown in there at times. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> You could say the PM wedge was Phil being a diva but they released it at retail and it has done quite well.

Look Tiger is the GOAT, you need an ego to be that good, and I guess he has earned the right to be demanding. But to me it screams "I'm so good that I need something different from everyone else. Nobody makes anything good enough for me." That's just how I read it.

Preface this by saying. Youre a good egg. Lol. And I don't mean to argue. But I think off base here.

Tiger has always had clubs made to his specs. Why on earth would he play an iron to Rory's specs?

Now this is pure speculation but I bet that mr Taylor is working on him a set of TM blades. Some that suit the new look but Tigers wants. The Nike set is likely a standin that MT was able to put together and for kicks logo with Tigers company to give him a non Nike badged set to play in the meantime.

This is not new stuff. Many many tour guys have customs made irons that mimick the retail irons in looks. But are much different in form and function. I own two sets like that. Both titleist blades. Both well camoflouged but both way different than their retail cousins. Set I play is 680 with offset bent out and more beef on topline , sole and muscle pad. A really heavy head. Hold them beside a retail 680 and it's very apparent they aren't the same. Yet on tv you couldn't tell. This goes on with CB irons and GI too. You just can't tell on tv.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,112 ✭✭
    BottleCap wrote:

Bomber_11 wrote:

Gnomesteel wrote:

mhales10 wrote:

Would not be surprised if those irons (with TGR on them) are made by Mike Taylor and his new company.

Cant see TaylorMade not stamping their name all over the irons if they are indeed TM irons.

Tiger trusts MT and it wouldnt be far fetched if he is still working with him until TM can come up with something similar to his exacting standards.

My thoughts as well.

Does anyone know what Taylor is up to? I was super impressed by his work when I visited The Oven. Clearly one of the best talents out there.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/artisangolftx/"]https://www.facebook.../artisangolftx/[/url]

Anyone know how much a set of the Artisan Golf "Nike Blades" cost?

Back of the line bub!

Seriously. Don't know. Yet.
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,325 ✭✭

Rory said in that recent podcast "I really don't want to mess with all of that prototype stuff. I don't need something made especially for me. Just give me something that works and I'll play it."
    That sounds great in theory but both Callaway and TM made sets especially for him.
  • BigVolGolfFanBigVolGolfFan Members Posts: 367 ✭✭
    I just wonder how long we will drool over what Tiger is playing. I have grown up in the Tiger era, but I am really wondering when he will no longer be relevant to competitive golf and equipment.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,325 ✭✭
    edited Oct 11, 2017 #81

You're right. I mean Phil would never ever had Titleist make the 731PM irons just for him. Wait what? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

ETA: Callaway has also made clubs just for Phil. Phrankenwood, that scooped out hybrid, wedges, etc.
    grm24 wrote:

You're right. I mean Phil would never ever had Titleist make the 731PM irons just for him. Wait what? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Irvthe phrankenwood or the pm grind wedge ( which did eventually come to retail ) .... epic subzero 440 driver , a slew of odyssey blades you can't buy , a white black whote versa 9 with a shaft and a half of offset with a sight line and a current model face insert ( also can't buy) , kbs 125x shafts ( can't buy) hybrid metal /plastic spikes , heck. Even has his own golf ball.
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,176 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

Irvthe phrankenwood or the pm grind wedge ( which did eventually come to retail ) .... epic subzero 440 driver , a slew of odyssey blades you can't buy , a white black whote versa 9 with a shaft and a half of offset with a sight line and a current model face insert ( also can't buy) , kbs 125x shafts ( can't buy) hybrid metal /plastic spikes , heck. Even has his own golf ball.

And when it’s all custom made, enough lead tape to give the entire state of California cancer
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • MJC4MJC4 Members Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

Need4spd wrote:

What the heck does TGR stand for anyway?

Miura

Hahah just kidding. It’s his investment group he started earlier this year.

I know that, but what does the acronym actually stand for?

I think it’s just Tiger without the i e to make it sound cool

I have no imagination.

As mentioned, he went with "Tiger" without the vowels. That turned out a lot better than if he went with his last name without the vowels, WDs...
  • DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ✭✭

grm24 wrote:

Don't forget the special molds for his NDMCs!
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,634 ✭✭
    MaitriMike wrote:

Those are definitely VRPro II Iron's. I have a set of 3-PW, Satin Finish sitting in my spare bag at the moment. Gosh I love those irons but no one knows why I gamed it for so long when I shouldn't have been. Does anyone want them? LOL

Sure, I'll take em
  • dan250ydsdan250yds Mayor9312 Members Posts: 516 ✭✭
    Is this a new Tiger logo as well potentially? TGR with those three lines to portray a tiger claw?
    Driver: Cally FT Tour 9.5 Deg // Fubuki J 60g X flex
    3 Wood: Titleist 909F3 15 Deg // Fubuki K 80g X flex
    Hybird: TM R15 19 Deg // Fuji TS 9.8 X Flex
    Irons: TM MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
    Wedges: Cally X Jaws CC 52*, MD2 56* & 60* // KBS Wedge X Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo
    Bag: Titelst StaDry
  • johnjinglejohnjingle Banned Posts: 81
    He's so old school... i love it. Those might as well be the Vr Pros or the OG Nike blades.
    edited Oct 11, 2017 #89
    dan250yds wrote:

Is this a new Tiger logo as well potentially? TGR with those three lines to portray a tiger claw?

Could be. That’s his new company logo but I don’t think it will transition over to his nike apparel.
  • dan250ydsdan250yds Mayor9312 Members Posts: 516 ✭✭

dan250yds wrote:

Could be. That's his new company logo but I don't think it will transition over to his nike apparel.

Cool, thanks for the intel there sir!
    Driver: Cally FT Tour 9.5 Deg // Fubuki J 60g X flex
    3 Wood: Titleist 909F3 15 Deg // Fubuki K 80g X flex
    Hybird: TM R15 19 Deg // Fuji TS 9.8 X Flex
    Irons: TM MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
    Wedges: Cally X Jaws CC 52*, MD2 56* & 60* // KBS Wedge X Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo
    Bag: Titelst StaDry
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,959 ✭✭
    Random question.....does anyone know whether or not the steel shafts that he used in his driver and 3 wood back in the day, were "standard" DG wood shafts.....or were they a prototype made for his custom bore throughs?