2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New SM7's

Leonard Washington

Hoping for something other than Chrome available in lefty, too. I know they make the black finish but I'd really prefer just a raw or unplated brushed silver look. The chrome is murder on my eyes in the sun, it's one of the things I dislike about my MD2's. The black is cool but would require stripping... not a huge deal but still extra work.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new SM7 will be released to the PGA Tour and debuted at the Shriners, beginning of November. I saw a loft/bounce chart from my sales rep, but no pictures. There is an addition of a "D" grind that looked to fit in just below the K... so no in order of effective bounce for the 58 & 60º they are L, M, S, "D", K. Three finishes like before, Tour Chrome, Jet Black (same raw finish like SM6), and a new grey finish that replaces the Steel Grey that looks VERY MUCH like a RAW finish but will not rust.

IMHO, there's a lot of players and GolfWRX's that want a pure raw finish for an abundance of reasons. #1 because the tour pros use them, #2 because some of use realized the glare benefit, #3 because we can't get them ;) #4 because some of us prefer the look. In all seriousness, if Titleist offered a pure raw finish to the masses, they would end up with mass inventory at the end of the life cycle because Titleist sells 99% of its wedges to the average consumer, not us. The consumer wants to use their clubs until they are forced to replace them and want their wear and appearance to never change from day 1.

Thanks, as always, for your great info. Aside from bounce, do you have any other info on what the new "D" grind will be? Thanks again!

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

No "F" grind?

I think the list of grinds he mentioned were only referring to 58* and 60*. Highest lofted F grind is 56*.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

The new SM7 will be released to the PGA Tour and debuted at the Shriners, beginning of November. I saw a loft/bounce chart from my sales rep, but no pictures. There is an addition of a "D" grind that looked to fit in just below the K... so no in order of effective bounce for the 58 & 60º they are L, M, S, "D", K. Three finishes like before, Tour Chrome, Jet Black (same raw finish like SM6), and a new grey finish that replaces the Steel Grey that looks VERY MUCH like a RAW finish but will not rust.

IMHO, there's a lot of players and GolfWRX's that want a pure raw finish for an abundance of reasons. #1 because the tour pros use them, #2 because some of use realized the glare benefit, #3 because we can't get them ;) #4 because some of us prefer the look. In all seriousness, if Titleist offered a pure raw finish to the masses, they would end up with mass inventory at the end of the life cycle because Titleist sells 99% of its wedges to the average consumer, not us. The consumer wants to use their clubs until they are forced to replace them and want their wear and appearance to never change from day 1.

I wonder if this is the Brushed Nickel finish from the limited AD-siXty that was released on Wedge Works a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked at how much this looks like a raw wedge in person. This image looks a little darker than it actually appears, but is a pretty good representation.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I wonder if this is the Brushed Nickel finish from the limited AD-siXty that was released on Wedge Works a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked at how much this looks like a raw wedge in person. This image looks a little darker than it actually appears, but is a pretty good representation.

Very possible. A brand new, from the Titleist Tour Van drawer, raw Vokey wedge has that same look. You can literally see the grain in the finish. It’s a cool look!

TSR3 10º Driver - LinQ M40X Blue 6F5     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Modus 120X

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
Odyssey TEN - SuperStroke PIstol 2.0

Pro V1 

Hoping for something other than Chrome available in lefty, too. I know they make the black finish but I'd really prefer just a raw or unplated brushed silver look. The chrome is murder on my eyes in the sun, it's one of the things I dislike about my MD2's. The black is cool but would require stripping... not a huge deal but still extra work.

and the "raw" black doesn't really rust that much once it's stripped (in comparison to a truly raw wedge). I just hope that one of these days WedgeWorks will offer more lofts for lefties in raw. To not even be able to buy a raw gap wedge is a pretty big disappointment IMO.

and the "raw" black doesn't really rust that much once it's stripped (in comparison to a truly raw wedge). I just hope that one of these days WedgeWorks will offer more lofts for lefties in raw. To not even be able to buy a raw gap wedge is a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Really? That's a disaapointment. My old TM RACs rusted a bunch which I Love because it keeps the face nice and rough. My MD2's are chrome plated and after 3 seasons now they feel "slippery" compared to the old RAC's. I just get on better with the grind on MD2 so I keep using them and try to use height to stop the ball instead of spin.

as mentioned ... 1 new grind D in the high lofts

other major difference in SM7 will be an improved CG adjustment over SM6, even higher in lobbers (yay ... better energy transmission for high on the face hits with open faces)

Stealth2+ 8° HZRDUS Blue RDX Smoke 60 S
Stealth2+ 14.25° Tensei blue 65 S
Stealth2+ 17.5° Tensei blue 65 S
Stealth+ Rescue 21.25° Tensei blue 75 S
P790 5 - 7, NS Pro Modus 3 105 S

P770 8 - P, NS Pro Modus 3 105 S
MG4 50° 54°HB 58° HiToe, NS Pro Modus 3 115 Wedge

other major difference in SM7 will be an improved CG adjustment over SM6, even higher in lobbers (yay ... better energy transmission for high on the face hits with open faces)

Does that mean we are getting some form of tungsten or a small weight of some sort? Similar to the JP wedges. Will it be fixed or moveable? Is it true that the SM7s are going to be “Dill Design” or will they stay “Vokey Design”?

Does that mean we are getting some form of tungsten or a small weight of some sort? Similar to the JP wedges. Will it be fixed or moveable? Is it true that the SM7s are going to be “Dill Design” or will they stay “Vokey Design”?

No tungsten or movable weights AND still Vokey through and through. The AD grind was only available through WedgeWorks for a limited time. I've seen "hero" shots of the wedges and the logo/cosmetics look awesome, very clean looking. Aaron Dill told me the D grind is similar to an M but with "all over bounce" which will fit between the current M and the K. The D grind has been used on Tour for a while now but has always been hand ground. Notables on tour are Tyrone van Aswegan, Sam Saunders, and Matt Jones. I searched GolfWRX for their WITB pics but nothing was current.

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

Pro V1 

That's good to hear. I always end up hitting my lob wedge high on the face (esp out of rough) so this should help even more.

did you happen to notice if the K grind was avail in low bounce or is the new D grind going to fit in between the L and K grinds? thanks for the info

did you happen to notice if the K grind was avail in low bounce or is the new D grind going to fit in between the L and K grinds? thanks for the info

No Low Bounce K from what I saw... that is such a unique grind and is VERY unforgiving, a very condition dependent sole according to Voke himself and from my experiences. There are a handful of Tour pros that utilize a version of the K, including Justin Thomas, but his is simply softened with some heel relief dropping effective bounce to 8º. Titleist wants to stick to its guns when selling to the masses thus the reason for WedgeWorks.

The D grind sits in the bounce/grind matrix between the M and K which is on the higher effective bounce spectrum for 58º and above (low L-M-D-K high)

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

Pro V1 

I saw my rep on Thursday and asked him about the new line. He confirmed what someone else here said, there is no true raw wedge coming. Just the jet black which they call a raw finish. He said Wedgeworks will have the new line available as a raw wedge roughly 6 months after the release date as an up charge of course.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Diamana DF 60X
Titleist TS3 15* w/ Diamana ZF 70X
Titleist 913h 19* w/ Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T100s 4-P w/ C-Taper Lite X
Titleist Vokey Raw 48, 54, 60 w/ S400
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

I saw my rep on Thursday and asked him about the new line. He confirmed what someone else here said, there is no true raw wedge coming. Just the jet black which they call a raw finish. He said Wedgeworks will have the new line available as a raw wedge roughly 6 months after the release date as an up charge of course.

Why 6 months later? That's ridiculous!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

... You forgot the most logical reason to play a raw finish. Wedges take quite a pounding and depending on where you live, you can get some really bad chips and dings with visible rocks or those below the surface we don't see util we hit the shot. It is one thing to get a chip or ding on a raw wedge, it is quite another to get one on a chrome wedge and have the plating start to chip off and/or rust set in underneath the chrome and start to come off as well. Even since playing raw Scratch wedges, I have preferred a raw finish. I am not a big rust fan but love the look that just keeps getting darker the more you play it. My Engage and Nike Raw forged are just about worn out so I will be looking for new raw wedges in the spring.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

... You forgot the most logical reason to play a raw finish. Wedges take quite a pounding and depending on where you live, you can get some really bad chips and dings with visible rocks or those below the surface we don't see util we hit the shot. It is one thing to get a chip or ding on a raw wedge, it is quite another to get one on a chrome wedge and have the plating start to chip off and/or rust set in underneath the chrome and start to come off as well. Even since playing raw Scratch wedges, I have preferred a raw finish. I am not a big rust fan but love the look that just keeps getting darker the more you play it. My Engage and Nike Raw forged are just about worn out so I will be looking for new raw wedges in the spring.

This is the reason that I want raw wedges. I've gone through two 60* Tour Chrome SM6s this year where the plating has worn out and it's looks like I'm 2-3 layers deep on the sole now. Sent it back once and they replaced it, but said it was only cosmetic from normal wear and that it was a one time replacement. Now, do I buy raw SM6s, or wait 6 months after the SM7 release to get raw SM7s?

Titleist TS2 driver & 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons
Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter

This is the reason that I want raw wedges. I've gone through two 60* Tour Chrome SM6s this year where the plating has worn out and it's looks like I'm 2-3 layers deep on the sole now. Sent it back once and they replaced it, but said it was only cosmetic from normal wear and that it was a one time replacement. Now, do I buy raw SM6s, or wait 6 months after the SM7 release to get raw SM7s?

I got the Jet Black, cleaned up with alcohol, and applied the distilled white vinegar technique to remove the black finish. Although not a purely raw wedge, it looks similar and wears well without showing the contrast of chrome/worn chrome .

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

Pro V1 

When is the release date? Let’s say that the 7’s get released in January (I’m sure later) you’re looking at late June for the Raw! It’s probably like February or March release date, 6 months later and we are talking July or August for Raw! That’s absolutely ridiculous!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

When is the release date? Let’s say that the 7’s get released in January (I’m sure later) you’re looking at late June for the Raw! It’s probably like February or March release date, 6 months later and we are talking July or August for Raw! That’s absolutely ridiculous!

The SM6 raw wedges were available on WedgeWorks starting May 11, 2016, so hopefully the SM7 are in the same general time frame (even though I think that's still too late)

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I'm shocked at what some golfers will spend money on...$250 per wedge...gheesh?!

interesting...

if off the rack isn't the right fit - fully customized and fit for $250 is a great deal for a scoring club.

I agree. 1/3 of the price of a fully milled PXG wedge will we are at it.

So we will start to see pictures of these the week of Shriners? First week of November?