2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PING Vault 2.0 Dalehead Anser (2018 Release)

chiefgolf

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm most curious about the face milling. I hope they move away from the TR grooves and whatever you call what was on the original Vaults and more towards a traditional milling pattern. Always thought shallow classic milling w/ the Pingman logo stamped on the face under the neck would be really fly...

taylormade aeroburner tp 10.5
exotics e8 beta fw 16.5
exotics xcg7 beta hy 19
ping ie1 4-U
vokey SM6 54S, 60S
studio style newport 2

It is definitely on the sales sheet for early 18 just confirmed it with my local shop. Finish's on the sales sheet were platinum, stealth, and copper. Hopefully it will not be just a PLD 1 putter with the vault name but a true Dalehead.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

Ping hasn't released a nice looking Dalehead Anser in a loooooooooog time. Most modern Ansers are boxy and too square with thin top lines, with none of the flow and softness of the originals. So many other makers do a much better Anser than Ping IMO.

They were kind of in the right track with the TR1966 Anser but the grooves and the awful gold finish killed it for me.

It would be nice to see Ping deliver on this one.

After the discussion with a sales rep, here is what I got:

-Precision milled, which will be more of a milled face rather than the original Vault lineup

-Each putter will be available in 3 finishes: platinum, silver mist, and black (these aren't the exact names but are the same finish)

-The Dale and ZB will be put back into the lineup

-A new weighting system is going in as well in the heel and toe, located on the sole. The weights will vary in color dependent on which finish you purchase, but they are interchangeable from 5-20g I believe

-New headcover designs, not that this matters in performance, but they do have some putter covers coming out that are more limited/custom/personalized, which the buyer can choose from

*P.S. I got to hold some of the putters in hand in each finish and the black finish is one of the best finishes I have seen. It has a flatness to it, but still has a good polished look to it. Sorry, no pictures to provide though.

-Precision milled, which will be more of a milled face rather than the original Vault lineup

-Each putter will be available in 3 finishes: platinum, silver mist, and black (these aren't the exact names but are the same finish)

-A new weighting system is going in as well in the heel and toe, located on the sole. The weights will vary in color dependent on which finish you purchase, but they are interchangeable from 5-20g I believe

-New headcover designs, not that this matters in performance, but they do have some putter covers coming out that are more limited/custom/personalized, which the buyer can choose from

*P.S. I got to hold some of the putters in hand in each finish and the black finish is one of the best finishes I have seen. It has a flatness to it, but still has a good polished look to it. Sorry, no pictures to provide though.

Could you describe the actual head shape? How does it compare to previous Anser models from Ping and some of the more popular dale heads from other makers, like a DH89, 009, etc.

Could you describe the actual head shape? How does it compare to previous Anser models from Ping and some of the more popular dale heads from other makers, like a DH89, 009, etc.

To be accurate, I have a good relationship with this rep so let me check. And yes the grooves are moving more towards a horizontal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no clue whether this is close to what will come, but have a sneaky feeling it will be very close to this proto version minus the tungsten weights in the face. From last year but remembered seeing it, finally tracked them down. Slightly different lines and shaping then the older Anser milled line.

This thread needed some pictures anyway so here we go:

post-80461-0-29719800-1459701090_thumb.jpeg

post-80461-0-77934900-1459701107_thumb.jpeg

post-80461-0-25485800-1459701100_thumb.jpeg

Source: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1313396-david-lingmerths-custom-ping-possible-to-order/

I know they are scheduled for February release. My local shop has an order in for them and they said the dalehead definitely has an old school anser look to it.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

• 1 month later...

To be accurate, I have a good relationship with this rep so let me check. And yes the grooves are moving more towards a horizontal.

Not sure what you were looking at or your rep but I saw them last week when my rep brought them in. They are slicker than first vault fir sure but the grooves have not changed as it’s still the same tr pattern

Are there Dale heads more in line with an 009 shape with a trisole? My interest is defintely peaked if so.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Not sure what you were looking at or your rep but I saw them last week when my rep brought them in. They are slicker than first vault fir sure but the grooves have not changed as it's still the same tr pattern

If that's true, I'm bummed. I want me some nice Ping milling!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Not sure what you were looking at or your rep but I saw them last week when my rep brought them in. They are slicker than first vault fir sure but the grooves have not changed as it's still the same tr pattern

If that's true, I'm bummed. I want me some nice Ping milling!

+1 on also being bummed if this is the case. I was hoping the milling on the Dalehead Vault would be like the picture of the prototype above in this thread a few posts back. That milling looks like the milling on the Anser Milled series albeit more than likely a more durable finish.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold S300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I know I'm being picky, but I really hope the Dalehead looks better than the one pictured above. It has a super thin top line and the shoulders are sloped more in line with the sole rather than being parallel with the top line of the putter. Minor details, but still...

The TR grooves don't necessarily excite me, but I kind of expected them.

I have no clue whether this is close to what will come, but have a sneaky feeling it will be very close to this proto version minus the tungsten weights in the face. From last year but remembered seeing it, finally tracked them down. Slightly different lines and shaping then the older Anser milled line.

This thread needed some pictures anyway so here we go:

post-80461-0-29719800-1459701090_thumb.jpeg

post-80461-0-77934900-1459701107_thumb.jpeg

post-80461-0-25485800-1459701100_thumb.jpeg

Source: http://www.golfwrx.c...sible-to-order/

if this putter comes to retail, i'll buy it in whatever finish they have.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• 2 weeks later...

It saddens me that many many other makers make a better Dalehead Anser headshape than Ping. If Ping would make a good 009M/MA66/DH89/DD201/KP1/801 fully milled minus the gimcky TR groves they couldn't keep it stocked.

But no we will get a black version of the 2016/17 Vault line and it will be another flop. There is a reason pretty much no one on tour uses TR groves from Ping.

I asked Ping last year to make me that Dalehead putter and was told no. I tried probably 10x and was never successful. It’s sad they won’t make a serious putter because they really could put a dent in the putter market if they tried

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

I asked Ping last year to make me that Dalehead putter and was told no. I tried probably 10x and was never successful. Its sad they wont make a serious putter because they really could put a dent in the putter market if they tried

I'm just not sure of that. As a club retailer/golf course operator myself, I don't see or hear much demand from the overall golf customer base for Anser style putters anymore. They typically sit on shelves longer than any other style. It's all mallets and high MOI putters that sell with any serious numbers behind them. Of course we (golf club afficionados/GolfWRX type people) love Anser/Dalehead styled putters, but the average putter buyer can't tell you the difference between an Anser and Anser 2 styled putter off the top of their head, and usually even after looking at them.