Wish my wife would play...

mvhoffman

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife plays and now that her new job is M-F it is fantastic. More often than not she is checking the weather and asking, "where are we playing Saturday?". It also helps that we actually enjoy spending time together. I never understand couples that don't who stay together.

"It's Cheaper to keep her" -- or so I've been told.

Thankfully I'm one of the few who enjoys having her around. Our first date was supposed to be golf. But since I really stunk, and it was windy, like 25 MPH late October winds, we decided against it. Turns out, at the time, her parents were members of Pinehurst. She grew up with it.

I did have to give it up for nearly 10 years when we had our 3 daughters. She was home with them during the week and then worked weekends while I had the girls. But once they got older, I started to play more regularly in 2010. Now that 2 are in college, she comes with me a lot. She doesn't play anymore due to a bad elbow and ankle, and since she grew up with really old equipment, she'd have to relearn how to do things. She says she's content sitting in the cart and watching me get annoyed :)

Fine by me, I get to play pretty much when I want.

In white collar segment, many women are making more then men these days. Also in certain circles its becoming a topic of discussion, even concern. :beach:

It's cheaper to keep her might apply in most cases, and especially short term. If anyone cares to know, my wife filed for divorce again. And I think the main contributor is my being unwilling to spend lavishly the way she wants me to (single income family). In my case, it's cheaper to divorce in the long run. We are still in debt and she wants to just spend spend spend. Has unreasonable expectations based on where we are financially.

Anyway, sometimes people won't budge on certain things (my golf and normal adult budgeting in order to meet long term goals) and it has to end.

An older couple came through today and the husband said to me (under his breath)... "I wish to God I had never taught her the game". Why, you might wonder? Apparently she played with him and his buddy in a money game the week prior. She managed to press at the right time and win some money. According to him, it created a monster because she hasn't stopped ragging his a** since.

My wife plays and now that her new job is M-F it is fantastic. More often than not she is checking the weather and asking, "where are we playing Saturday?". It also helps that we actually enjoy spending time together. I never understand couples that don't who stay together.

"It's Cheaper to keep her" -- or so I've been told.

Thankfully I'm one of the few who enjoys having her around. Our first date was supposed to be golf. But since I really stunk, and it was windy, like 25 MPH late October winds, we decided against it. Turns out, at the time, her parents were members of Pinehurst. She grew up with it.

I did have to give it up for nearly 10 years when we had our 3 daughters. She was home with them during the week and then worked weekends while I had the girls. But once they got older, I started to play more regularly in 2010. Now that 2 are in college, she comes with me a lot. She doesn't play anymore due to a bad elbow and ankle, and since she grew up with really old equipment, she'd have to relearn how to do things. She says she's content sitting in the cart and watching me get annoyed :)

Fine by me, I get to play pretty much when I want.

In white collar segment, many women are making more then men these days. Also in certain circles its becoming a topic of discussion, even concern. :beach:

It's cheaper to keep her might apply in most cases, and especially short term. If anyone cares to know, my wife filed for divorce again. And I think the main contributor is my being unwilling to spend lavishly the way she wants me to (single income family). In my case, it's cheaper to divorce in the long run. We are still in debt and she wants to just spend spend spend. Has unreasonable expectations based on where we are financially.

Anyway, sometimes people won't budge on certain things (my golf and normal adult budgeting in order to meet long term goals) and it has to end.

Yet another story in a line of them that scares me single. Sorry to hear it, hope the proceedings treat you fairly.

Taylormade M1 460 9.5* HZRDUS Black 65g 6.5
Taylormade M1 Fairway 15* Fujikura Evolution II 757 X-Stiff
Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19* KBS Graphite Hybrid Prototype 95x
Miura CB-1008 w/ Nippon Pro Modus3 120 X-Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*,54* and 58* w/ Nippon Wedge 125
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

So this is my story.

Started golfing in 2004 and my (now) wife didn't want to hear about that.

But I insisted a little bit and in 2006 I took her in a small driving range/pitch and put near our or house...She didn't know but she already was a member (there was this offer: bring a newbie and your membership is free...so I simply paid mine).

So she started parcticing and even if at first she didn't seem to enjoy that much, golf slowly grew on her...and she became addicted!

We traveled a lot for golfing and it was amazing.

She quit 4 years ago because we were expecting a baby, but this year (he's almost 3) she started playing again.

We take a cart and normally play 9 holes with our son.

He grew up in a golf course and he's already swinging...but he wants to swing our clubs!

Yesterday he holed a drive(!) from 20 yards. :)

My wife did not golf when we met. I did not push her into golf. On day she came just came home with a brand new set of "Judy Rankin" clubs, driver through putter, that she picked up for about $80.. I gave her basic instruction and watched as she went from shooting 120 to shooting in the 90's to breaking 80 in tournaments and winning several club championships over the years at different clubs. Now the kids are grown and launched, I am retired and I am glad she plays. She has other interests, so we are not together 24/7, but golf with her is fun. She has beaten me straight up many times. She is about an 11 capper these days but can still get hot now and then.

My Fiancé Plays, we used to Play together when I was in the game and we have a blast together. She Played in the Swats with me and the guys and they enjoy her and she has fun or she wouldn't Play.

Like most things in life, it's an individual thing and depends on the guy, the Lady and their relationship-

If all three aren't on the same page, it ain't gonna work and I definitely wouldn't force it or try to make something out of nothing, because you might want it or possibly your wife might want it while you don't or at least she doesn't Play with you and that is fine and can be a good thing, good for the relationship, good for both individuals and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

All three pieces of the puzzle gotta fit.....

Fairways & Greens My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Count me in the camp that is glad my wife doesn't play. After retiring early a few years ago, we were both of the belief we each need some space and our own passions. We've both seen marriages stressed in retirement by couples with too much togetherness - after decades of being apart most of the day due to careers, it can be difficult to suddenly be around each other 24/7. I have my golf and photography, she has her music. It makes a nice balance.

In my late 20's, I was dating a smart and attractive woman - she wasn't a golfer, but her dad played. We had been going out for almost 2 years and were ready to tie the knot and then out of nowhere I met someone else. I met this other girl through a mutual friend. She asked me lunch and we had a great time. I didn't tell her I was with someone else. I was blown away when she told me she played golf, and that she was good. We then met out a few more times. I had the uncomfortable dual relationship thing going for a little while,and I couldn't take it any longer, so I had to make a choice. I dumped the girl I had been with for two years. It was hard but I knew for certain I had met my future wife. 20 years later - here we are, two kids and a great life.

Golf isn't just something we do - it is fundamental to our lives.

In my late 20's, I was dating a smart and attractive woman - she wasn't a golfer, but her dad played. We had been going out for almost 2 years and were ready to tie the knot and then out of nowhere I met someone else. I met this other girl through a mutual friend. She asked me lunch and we had a great time. I didn't tell her I was with someone else. I was blown away when she told me she played golf, and that she was good. We then met out a few more times. I had the uncomfortable dual relationship thing going for a little while,and I couldn't take it any longer, so I had to make a choice. I dumped the girl I had been with for two years. It was hard but I knew for certain I had met my future wife. 20 years later - here we are, two kids and a great life.

Congrats. Does your wife know the whole story?

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Just started living with my girlfriend this past spring because I told her golf was a big part of my life and I use to play 5-6 days a week. She said thats fine because I'd be coming home to her. Needless to say I do not play 5-6 days a week anymore lol but I do enjoy my time with her at home and when I want to play early on weekends she doesn't really say much about it.

I do ask her to come along in the evens and ride around and she hits a few drives and putts. She enjoys hitting tee balls but other than that the game isn't for her right now but thats ok as long as I get to play sometimes and she rides along occasionally

Re: Congrats. Does your wife know the whole story?

Yes, she knows. Whenever people ask how we met, I brag and say she asked me out first. I remember the very moment I met her. It was like being punched in the face. She has a good sense of humor.

• 3 weeks later...

Before I met my wife, I played about 2-4 rounds a month, and went to the driving range at least 4 times a week. Then my wife and I started dating, turns out she already had a set of clubs. We played a few times together when we were dating, but not very often. Then we both stopped playing and the clubs went up into the attic, I ended up taking a job that requires me to do a lot of traveling. I'm out of the country for three months at a time, then I get a month off and my wife is a school teacher and a HS volleyball coach. So our schedules are pretty packed, on top of that we have a beautiful 13 month old daughter.

Well around March of this year, I brought up how I want to start playing again, and my wife thought it was also a good idea for her to start again as well. So we picked up a plot of land in the Hot Springs Village (golfing community near by with 9 courses), Got the old golf bags out of the attic, driver was a Callaway Diabo Edge, if that tells you how long there were up there lol. Decided new clubs for the both of us and we both really enjoy being back out on the course.

I still go more than she does. When I'm home for a month at a time, I try to get to the course for two rounds a week without her while shes at work and then maybe get her out with me for a round on the weekend. We have to pay for childcare even if our daughter isn't there, so that's how I get in two rounds a week while my wife is at work. I keep our daughter while I'm home and if I decided to hit up one of the courses in the village, then I just drop our girl off at daycare for a few hours while I play and pick her back up when I'm heading home. Don't get to hit the range like I use to, but I do have a Skytrak at home, so that fills in for range time.

The pros for me are way more than the cons on having my wife golf with me on the course. Its something that we both enjoy doing and something that we can enjoy together. Neither one of us are very good and I have to say that I've got some awesome friends that seem to enjoy having both of us out on the course. The guy I play with the most even ask if my wife wants to play with us. Biggest con for me is not being able to sneak new clubs in the bag without her noticing and the price of having to pay for two vs one. She called me out on the first green during our last round with "is that new putter". Even though thats a con, she really doesn't care if I pick up a new club.

As mentioned in some of the above post, there is some give and take. One of my friends was trying to get me to take the first tee time on the day of my daughters birthday party, I knew better than to even ask... lol. Overall I love having my wife out there with me and truth be told, I can't wait until I can take my daughter out there with me as well.

Before I met my wife, I played about 2-4 rounds a month, and went to the driving range at least 4 times a week. Then my wife and I started dating, turns out she already had a set of clubs. We played a few times together when we were dating, but not very often. Then we both stopped playing and the clubs went up into the attic, I ended up taking a job that requires me to do a lot of traveling. I'm out of the country for three months at a time, then I get a month off and my wife is a school teacher and a HS volleyball coach. So our schedules are pretty packed, on top of that we have a beautiful 13 month old daughter.

Well around March of this year, I brought up how I want to start playing again, and my wife thought it was also a good idea for her to start again as well. So we picked up a plot of land in the Hot Springs Village (golfing community near by with 9 courses), Got the old golf bags out of the attic, driver was a Callaway Diabo Edge, if that tells you how long there were up there lol. Decided new clubs for the both of us and we both really enjoy being back out on the course.

I still go more than she does. When I'm home for a month at a time, I try to get to the course for two rounds a week without her while shes at work and then maybe get her out with me for a round on the weekend. We have to pay for childcare even if our daughter isn't there, so that's how I get in two rounds a week while my wife is at work. I keep our daughter while I'm home and if I decided to hit up one of the courses in the village, then I just drop our girl off at daycare for a few hours while I play and pick her back up when I'm heading home. Don't get to hit the range like I use to, but I do have a Skytrak at home, so that fills in for range time.

The pros for me are way more than the cons on having my wife golf with me on the course. Its something that we both enjoy doing and something that we can enjoy together. Neither one of us are very good and I have to say that I've got some awesome friends that seem to enjoy having both of us out on the course. The guy I play with the most even ask if my wife wants to play with us. Biggest con for me is not being able to sneak new clubs in the bag without her noticing and the price of having to pay for two vs one. She called me out on the first green during our last round with "is that new putter". Even though thats a con, she really doesn't care if I pick up a new club.

As mentioned in some of the above post, there is some give and take. One of my friends was trying to get me to take the first tee time on the day of my daughters birthday party, I knew better than to even ask... lol. Overall I love having my wife out there with me and truth be told, I can't wait until I can take my daughter out there with me as well.

My wallet just flew out the window reading that post.

When we had our 3 girls, I had to take 8 years off.

My wallet just flew out the window reading that post.

When we had our 3 girls, I had to take 8 years off.

My wallet does hate it, but its worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is fantastic, I'm very lucky. I'd rather spend time with her than anyone else. She's my best friend.

Two years ago she dragged me out to Golftown to buy sticks and then dragged me to the range. She loves golf, likes watching golf on TV, loves playing golf, even loves hitting range balls three times a week. But now we're both hooked.

On video she has an incredible swing; textbook lag and motion. She's not getting all the power she's capable of but she will because she works at it. I wish I had her swing actually, it's that good.

I've got friends who don't share common interests like hobbies with their spouse; it always seems to leads to divorce. Why marry someone who doesn't like the same things you do? Life is too short. And golf is quite a time commitment.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Congrats. Does your wife know the whole story?

Yes, she knows. Whenever people ask how we met, I brag and say she asked me out first. I remember the very moment I met her. It was like being punched in the face. She has a good sense of humor.

wonder what happened to the lady you dumped....the carnage we cause through life...hope she did well. Found happiness as much as you have

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

My wife and I have been married just over 10 years, no kids. I love my wife dearly. She likes that I have a hobby and has never once given me grief for playing so often. She even "let" me play once on our anniversary. It was a week night and it was a free round...

All of that said, Saturday and Sunday mornings are my time for male bonding and I want her nowhere near a golf course with me.