How do you walk 18?

Zlim

I started walking a lot last year, using a Titleist carry bag. It's a bit on the heavier side but is not that big of a deal, I have no issues walking 18 holes while still playing well. Of course I am only 31 and I am in good shape. After 40 I will invest in a nice push cart.

Walking is the only way to go as far as I am concerned unless its 90+ degrees outside. I find I play much better and somehow and a little quicker while still maintaining good rythym in my swing. As a whole I would say a decent 4 some will play faster walking then using a cart as everyone can just kind of walk to their own ball right away, not as much waiting for everyone to hit their own shot, unless you and your partner play "cart" golf which never seems to be the case. You drive here, you drive there..etc.

I plan on walking the majority of my rounds this year unless I am forced to take a cart. Saves a ton of money as well as promotes good exercise. A win win in my book.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BagBoy push cart. It's almost like having a caddie. Wheel it up by the ball, when all considerations have been made just pull your club and shove the cart outta the way. I love it. I carry some extra, probably unnecessary stuff with me so the cart soaks up the weight. I wouldn't consider any other alternative for walking.

I am 25 and carry, either ping hoofer or titleist moon bag. if you are under 40 i would say, and show up with any sort of pull cart you will catch a nice chuckle from me. not saying people with a pullcart dont play well, just is inherently not manly imo. kind of like suitcases with wheels. sure its smart, but it just looks stupid. since most people here compare to the tour, just see if any pro caddies pull/push...wouldnt be caught dead.

I am 25 and carry, either ping hoofer or titleist moon bag. if you are under 40 i would say, and show up with any sort of pull cart you will catch a nice chuckle from me. not saying people with a pullcart dont play well, just is inherently not manly imo. kind of like suitcases with wheels. sure its smart, but it just looks stupid. since most people here compare to the tour, just see if any pro caddies pull/push...wouldnt be caught dead.

Chuckle at a push cart for being "not manly"? Suitcases with wheels "look stupid"? Stop it...you're making me chuckle. You can't be serious.

I travel for business every week and I'd say well over 95% of the bags I see are on wheels. Including my rolling brief. And I use my Speed Cart at least one round a week and usually three rounds, weather permitting.

BTW I'm 59, and not worried about what it looks like. Why ruin my back and shoulders when I can be comfortable and get exercise playing golf.

Ping G30 Driver 10.5
Ping G30 3 & 5 Fairway (14.5, 18)
Ping G25 4 & 5 Hybrid (23, 27)
Mizuno MX-300 6-G, GS95 R300, HS +1, +.5
Titleist Vokey 54, 58 SM oil can
Scotty Cameron '12 Select Newport 2

...more like 5, what a :censored2: comments.

I have the sunmountain mpb bag while it is light, somehow I managed to make this thing monstorously heavy and I am able to tackle 9 holes no problem and carry it around during before/after practice.

I'm debating a lighter stand bag, and maybe less clubs. I GOT MORE QUESTIONS!!!!

-What's a good lightweight bag?

-Anyone here find themselves ok (or in trouble) with only 12 clubs or less in play?

I have one of the lighter SM stand bags but I also got a SM push cart at about the same time. I almost always walk the course and planned on carrying but when I saw the cart on sale for $99 I jumped on it.

I haven't noticed a difference in my game or how I feel either way but I don't care. I like the cart. Walking is all the excercise I expect from playing golf. The extra calories burned from carrying the bag are neither here nor there.

I don't carry alot of junk with me except for a bit over 1 dozen balls since I suck and tend to lose them. Maybe I'll carry some day this season to see what the difference is but I dunno.

Lot of defensive people when it comes to pullcarts I guess. Sorry if my opinion struck a chord wih a few posters. Listen, I am not trying to be a dick, just putting my perspective out there. It's just something about being old school, have some toughness, take in all aspects of the game (even if a sore shoulder is one of them). My Dad is 53 and still hasn't decided to give up carrying his own bag. Something about the way it was as a kid, the bag chatter of McGregor blades, etc for him. Modern pullcarts are just goofy in my opinion. I liken them to those golf belts that store tees and divot tools etc: Functional, smart, but a little dorky. However, for people with injuries or just plain age considerations, I imagine they are the best thing going. Maybe it was just the circle of players I grew up with. We are all good players and could just never grasp the whole pullcart thing, besides the above stated cases. As far as the analogies I made go, why is the caddie analogy bad? Sure this guy doesn't have to play any shots, but HIS JOB IS TO MOVE GOLF CLUBS FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER AND HE CHOSES NOT TO USE ONE, EVEN THE FEMALE CADDIES DONT USE THEM. As far as caddies at private courses in your area, does the caddy master let them use pullcarts on a double or single loop? Why wouldn't they if they are so great? It's about integrity, honor of the game, tradition, getting your hands dirty, etc. And for the suitcase analogy, I'll concede that wasn't the best example of what I was trying to get across. Lastly, I have, and will continue to be beaten in my life by people with pullcarts. That is not the point I am making.

Depends on the course. Nearing 60yrs old I still walk & carry; but also enjoy using a Bag-boy 180 express push especially so when its really warm and there's a trek between holes or hilly.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I carry.

If you want to save even more money, sell your bag and buy a "Sunday" bag from Cleveland, Ping or Titleist. They only run about $30-$40 and make everything extra light.

I sometimes will take a pull cart on a hilly course but usually just carry the sticks.

Not really worth it, I have a cally xxt cary bag and I think it weighs like 4 pounds, a sunday bag probably ways 2 to 3 for the pound you save its not worth sacrificing the comforts of a stand bag.

Here are some tips to lighten your bag up

Take out the rain gear

Dont carry more thant a dozen balls at a time

You dont really need a huge watter bottle, most cources have water on the tee boxes every 3 to 4 holes.

Doing those things should save 5 to 10 pounds.

I agree. Its amazing how much items weigh. I learned long ago during my backpacking treks days how to cut out weight and only carry necesities. I only carry 1 GPS, limit the number of tees and only carry 6 balls, no clothing or any other accessories and my bags are 3-5lb. I do carry a 16oz water bottle and replentishment because here in CA, suprisingenly many course don't have water every 4 holes.

I especially love a 18 hole walk in the park with my wife.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Pro caddies carry for a living, has nothing to do with being manly. Walking 18 holes and 7500+ yards whether carrying or push/pull is more about the walking experience while playing golf IMO. I can think of twenty other ways of testing your man hood... thinking a chuckle is in order for those push/pulling isn't impressive.

But, if comparing manly ... do what I use to do. Put on a 60lb pack and alpine skies and trek from Mammoth to Yosemite over two weeks, and snow camping. That means climbing a mtn using herringbone, then put your skies on your pack reach the peak then put skies back on and jump off skiing down cover 30-75miles. Makes carrying a golf bag over any yardage weak in my manly quotient. Does that mean I can chuckle at you? :drinks: Everything is relative.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Pro caddies carry for a living, has nothing to do with being manly. Walking 18 holes and 7500+ yards whether carrying or push/pull is more about the walking experience while playing golf IMO. I can think of twenty other ways of testing your man hood... thinking a chuckle is in order for those push/pulling isn't impressive.

But, if comparing manly ... do what I use to do. Put on a 60lb pack and alpine skies and trek from Mammoth to Yosemite over two weeks, and snow camping. That means climbing a mtn using herringbone, then put your skies on your pack reach the peak then put skies back on and jump off skiing down cover 30-75miles. Makes carrying a golf bag over any yardage weak in my manly quotient. Does that mean I can chuckle at you? :drinks: Everything is relative.

Well, I see your point, but its apples and oranges. I guess it would make sense if you knew I was an alpine climber / skier but I used an off-road segway to traverse the landscape. Do what you want to do. If you read my last post, its more about the tradition and feeling of carrying a bag, the "macho" side of things is less important and probably just a warped view I have on things I guess. Thanks for writing.

And you are?? Nobody. I'm in the air force and I've been pushing a cart for a while--so do plenty of other military people I play with--Army, Navy, Marines. Active duty and retired. Not manly? Please. I bet you're the same guy who stands outside in the cold with a t-shirt on because you think you look tough.

I have wheels on a suitcase so I don't have to lean to one side while I carry my stuff in the airport. Get a clue, buddy.

On topic: I've been using a push cart for at least 4 years now and it's great. Playing in southern Alabama and DC in the middle of the summer is tough, but with the push cart it definitely helps on those last couple holes or playing a second 18.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

And you are?? Nobody. I'm in the air force and I've been pushing a cart for a while--so do plenty of other military people I play with--Army, Navy, Marines. Active duty and retired. Not manly? Please. I bet you're the same guy who stands outside in the cold with a t-shirt on because you think you look tough.

I have wheels on a suitcase so I don't have to lean to one side while I carry my stuff in the airport. Get a clue, buddy.

On topic: I've been using a push cart for at least 4 years now and it's great. Playing in southern Alabama and DC in the middle of the summer is tough, but with the push cart it definitely helps on those last couple holes or playing a second 18.

Given that I am a staunch conservative and supporter of the war on terror and our troops, its tough for me to respond to your post, but I will anyways. Im not entitled to my opinion? I am a nobody? You should get a clue. Being in the military I would think you would understand where I am coming from with the tradition and integrity angle, guess not. Everyone is hung up on the manly comment. Nope, Im not the guy you are referring to, im the guy who carries his bag and wouldn't dream of doing otherwise. Given the results of the survey, there has to be some people on here who agree with me? Anybody? Anyone who carries a bag is by nature anti-pull cart. The more I see disdain from other posters, I guess it was how I was brought up. Maybe its a Northeast thing. Literally any serious golfer I play with in Massachusetts feels the same way I do. Nobody confronts people with pullcarts and rips them a new one, its just an unspoken thing.

I'm 57 and carry the smallest Sun Mountain bag with a "short" set of about 12 clubs.

Still have the Clic Gear 2.0, the carry bag is simpler and so far the back is OK. I've had the speed carts and they are the easiest to push but tire deflation still an issue even with special stuff in the tires.

The carrying makes me feel better about me and the game, fatigue not an issue, home course is relatively flat, though.

Neat topic, I'll go back to pushing at the first sign of back ouch!

Mike

I'm 57 and carry the smallest Sun Mountain bag with a "short" set of about 12 clubs.

Still have the Clic Gear 2.0, the carry bag is simpler and so far the back is OK. I've had the speed carts and they are the easiest to push but tire deflation still an issue even with special stuff in the tires.

The carrying makes me feel better about me and the game, fatigue not an issue, home course is relatively flat, though.

Neat topic, I'll go back to pushing at the first sign of back ouch!

Mike

Mikey gets it.

I am 55 and carry whenever possible, I enjoy the game better , even if it does cost me a few strokes .

That's what Im talking about.

Your statement sounded as either or, and tied to "manly"... and the "or" was wrong. My contention is walking and carrying is great for those folks desirous of walking and physically capable. I get you're a purist to some extent, but, for those folks not capable your post might make them feel inadequate, maybe defensive. For people that choose differently, your post criticizes them for being different from you. If I said anyone playing game improvement heads wasn't traditional or manly, those folks playing CB would take offense.

I agree though, walking and carrying is the optimal way to enjoy golf presuming one is capable; still, if capable and choosing push/pull that isn’t inherently wrong, they are still walking like you. I am almost 60 and still walk 18 holes, carrying, and push and add my wife and I walk some darn hilly 7000+ yard courses when allowed.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I am 55 and carry whenever possible, I enjoy the game better , even if it does cost me a few strokes .

That's what Im talking about.

Your statement sounded as either or, and tied to "manly"... and the "or" was wrong. My contention is walking and carrying is great for those folks desirous of walking and physically capable. I get you're a purist to some extent, but, for those folks not capable your post might make them feel inadequate, maybe defensive. For people that choose differently, your post criticizes them for being different from you. If I said anyone playing game improvement heads wasn't traditional or manly, those folks playing CB would take offense.

I agree though, walking and carrying is the optimal way to enjoy golf presuming one is capable; still, if capable and choosing push/pull that isn't inherently wrong, they are still walking like you. I am almost 60 and still walk 18 holes, carrying, and push and add my wife and I walk some darn hilly 7000+ yard courses when allowed.

For anyone not capable, I am all for the pull cart. Would never want to see someone stay away from the game who enjoys walking but can't carry the bag.

i own/ride a freakin cart.

I own one too... :drinks: its driven around in our community and used during tournaments by the wife and I when the fields filled with carts; walking then slows the field.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x