TheGrint Free v Premium?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gives 18Birdies (https://18birdies.com/) a try. I primarily use Arccos 360, but I'm in a group and compete in some online competitions through 18Birdies. Just looking at it quickly, it gives a stat breakdown (with charts) of:

• Score vs. Avg Score
  • Handicap vs. Trending Handicap
  • Par Avg. Breakdown (Avg. Par 3, 4 and 5 scores)
  • Putts per Hole
  • Greens in Reg.
  • Fairways Hit
  • Up & Downs
  • Sand Saves
  • Penalties per Round

You also get "credits" for logging rounds, which you can use to enter yourself in giveaways and random prizes

Gives 18Birdies (https://18birdies.com/) a try. I primarily use Arccos 360, but I'm in a group and compete in some online competitions through 18Birdies. Just looking at it quickly, it gives a stat breakdown (with charts) of:
  • Score vs. Avg Score
  • Handicap vs. Trending Handicap
  • Par Avg. Breakdown (Avg. Par 3, 4 and 5 scores)
  • Putts per Hole
  • Greens in Reg.
  • Fairways Hit
  • Up & Downs
  • Sand Saves
  • Penalties per Round

You also get "credits" for logging rounds, which you can use to enter yourself in giveaways and random prizes

I'm actually trying to decide between the two....I like 18Birdies, but their displays for stats leaves a bit to be desired IMO. Grint's interface is much smoother & more appealing to my eye as well....I'm just a cheap bastxxx and don't wanna pay $20/yr haha

I've been using the Grint this year for over 50 rounds now. Free version. Really liked it and felt compelled to pay them the $20 for their premium service a couple of weeks ago. I like the additional stats the pro version gives you but really I wanted to use their 'shot tracker' option (able to walk off the distance you hit your shot and get an accurate yardage) that isn't available on the free version. I think the GPS on this app is great and realistic. Most other apps I've seen you get a mock up drawing of the hole, whereas the Grint uses actual areal technology. For me, I have more stats about my game that I could have ever imagined, but I'm new to using apps for my golf rounds. The Grint was the first and only one I've used but I haven't found one that has swayed me to change.

I'm still having issues with the free version. It killed the battery completely on my AW from 100% to dead thru 17 holes with a 30 min rain delay at the turn. They did email back quickly to turn off the health tracking to improve the battery life. Did all that but the next round couldn't get the AW app to load. I could never get past the "quick round/continue round" screen any button hit would kill the app. I want the handicap functions pretty badly but the hole 19 app continues to do everything well that I need and use very little battery life, but the one fatal flaw is no handicap tracking.

Just can't find one that checks all the boxes.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 1 month later...

I have about 12 rounds recorded and I really like it. The GPS function is very accurate when I've compared it side by side to a range finder. I don't have any friends that use it, so I can't comment on the social functions. However, I could see that being a really good feature if you have a big group that uses it. I feel like I've gotten $20 worth of value out of it, if not more, so I might give the premium a try.

Also interested in comparisons between the free version and $20 upgrade. I've got a golf specific gps and laser already.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Also interested in comparisons between the free version and $20 upgrade. I've got a golf specific gps and laser already.

They do give you several advanced metrics and stats with the upgrade. They were interesting at first but I haven't checked on them in months. It also gives you a shot tracker function that lets you walk off distances of shots. I upgraded specifically for this option but am disappointed that the app does not store these stats. Once you see your distance on the shot the data goes away. I was hoping I would be able to go back in and take all my distances for each club hit and really dial in how far I hit each club in course conditions. No go. At least, I haven't found out a way to do it.

Ultimately, I'll likely keep paying the $20 bucks each year as I think the app is great and hope they stay in business. The free version gives you more than $20 worth.

• 1 month later...

I have been using the app for about 4 weeks now. Love it so much I transferred all of my swingbyswing data into it (104 rounds). I love the data, referred friends and got a free pro version for a year. I think you need 3 people to sign up for it. This app has so much league potential for company golf leagues. The official handicap is sweet too.

• 3 weeks later...

ive used premium for a few years.. it unlocks additional stats.. i dont use it as a "range finder" so i cant vouch for how that works.. but i love the grint.. i have a TON of rounds posted w/ it.. I would hate to lose all that info at this point! $20/ yr seems a little steep.. but i use this app all the time, so i do it for support more than anything.

That reminds me...anyone know of a way to export all of your scores from the Grint? Be nice to be able to save them somewhere just in case the service ever went away.

I actually just emailed support on this. At this time there is no way for an export. I did ask if they would consider this in the future and they said they would. For now, the only way to save them is screen shot the score card.

This is a feature that I think is necassay for these app. SwingBySwing has this and it is helpful to have a full backup. I am hopeful that that Grint will make this improvement.

ScottyO

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know how to view a round you mapped with Shot Tracer? i cannot seem to find it anywhere in the app or the online portal

i bought the pro version for the shot mapping feature, i mapped the distance and location of my drives and approaches and was hoping to review them a bit... but i cant seem to review the round anywhere... making me upset i bought the Pro version

does anyone know how to view a round you mapped with Shot Tracer? i cannot seem to find it anywhere in the app or the online portal

i bought the pro version for the shot mapping feature, i mapped the distance and location of my drives and approaches and was hoping to review them a bit... but i cant seem to review the round anywhere... making me upset i bought the Pro version

nevermind, they emailed me and said right now its just a Basic Shot Tracer and it doesnt save your data after you submit a completed round... kinda dumb, but saved mapping will be coming soon

• 3 months later...

Absolutely love the Grint and I've been using it since 2014 (free version).

Actually, based on all these comments, now I feel like a PoS for not supporting them with cash. I don't feel too terrible because I have gotten all my friends and family on the Grint and always recommend it to people who ask what I'm doing on my phone at the golf course.

[b]WITB[/b]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]PING G25 [size=3]9.5* [i]S-Flex Stock Shaft[/i][/size]
Taylormade AeroBurner 3W [size=3]15* [i]S-Flex Stock Shaft[/i][/size][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi 3i - 5i [size=3][i]KBS C Taper S-Flex[/i][/size][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC 6-PW [/font][/size][i][size=3]KBS[/size] [size=3]C Taper S-Flex[/size][/i]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey SM5 [size=3]48* F Grind[/size]
Titleist Vokey SM5 [size=3]54* M Grind[/size]
Titleist Vokey SM5 [size=3]60* S Grind[/size]
2014 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5
Vice Pro Soft[/font][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

what exactly are the advanced stats that come with the premium version? thanks

honestly nothing significantly different just a bit more detail on scrambling and par 3 iron game.

I ponied up for it expecting to be able to tag shots throughout a round with the shot tracker and review rounds afterwards, similar to Arccos or Game Golf. they dont have that feature yet, said they have been working on it. seems like a pretty easy update when i can already tag point A to point B to get distances i hit shots and u can even tag the club you hit.

Is the Grint still a killer on battery life on the AW? used to drain my original AW almost completely during a round. The AW3 i have now gets great battery life but not sure how it affect it. Been using hole 19 since the battery issues.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Is the Grint still a killer on battery life on the AW? used to drain my original AW almost completely during a round. The AW3 i have now gets great battery life but not sure how it affect it. Been using hole 19 since the battery issues.

I used the Grint for 9 holes towards the end of last year for a round, didn't notice any difference in battery usage over normal use, so didn't seem to have any excessive drain or anything. I just can't stand wearing anything on my wrist while golfing so I stopped using it.

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely love the Grint and I've been using it since 2014 (free version).

Actually, based on all these comments, now I feel like a PoS for not supporting them with cash. I don't feel too terrible because I have gotten all my friends and family on the Grint and always recommend it to people who ask what I'm doing on my phone at the golf course.

If you are an android user you can earn some google cash if you do their "opinion rewards" surveys. I have been doing them since June of 2016 and have earned about $90 and I use this money to pay for TheGrint. Surveys come about 1-2 average per week and you earn from $0.10 to $1.00. I never give them any real vital information. Try it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to try it during my round Sat. Looks pretty easy, just wish the overall view of the hole wasn’t at an angle.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 5 months later...

I just went premium on my iPhone. It takes some power though. Did anyone notice more accurate yardages? The reason is I had golf logix free on my phone but it seemed more in line with my friends gps watches after I paid for it.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

If you look at your scorecard on the app in the top there is a button that says tracked shots. You must save them when you finish the round though.

The big problem I have is to remember to stop tracking them and switch to the next shot. Getting better at it.

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S