Drive, Chip & Put

I've heard of some kids who will fly to some podunk town to get through qualifies. For a few it actually worked and they are advancing to Augusta. A lot of time and money.......

I know of a kid based out of Dallas that does her compititions in Minnesota. No idea why but my only guess to find an easier path. No way I would fly anywhere for a 10 min competition.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard of some kids who will fly to some podunk town to get through qualifies. For a few it actually worked and they are advancing to Augusta. A lot of time and money.......

I know of a kid based out of Dallas that does her compititions in Minnesota. No idea why but my only guess to find an easier path. No way I would fly anywhere for a 10 min competition.

Seriously?????

I thought it was more like 5 minutes.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Seriously?????

C'mon, It takes more than 5 minutes just to get the kids gathered at the putting green and announce the rules. :taunt: I would say 10-15 minutes at each station was the average.

Seriously?????

AZ

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Seriously?????

C'mon, It takes more than 5 minutes just to get the kids gathered at the putting green and announce the rules. :taunt: I would say 10-15 minutes at each station was the average.

We didn't have that. Just wait in a line for your turn and at the end they told you the score.

Why not just buy tickets to the Master's then?

The parents that do this want the bragging rights. There the same parents who is at a local PGA event will snap a picture with a pro and then act like they are best buds on Facebook.

Some of them around here also have charities so there kids can play in tournaments for free and this helps them raise money as well.

If you can get your hands on tickets, does your child get to DCP on the property? with the event being televised? Oh and how much are tickets because as we all know DCP is free.

I'm in the minority it seems, but I thought the process was fun. This was my son's first time competing and he made it a lot further than I ever thought. Luckily all 3 qualifiers were fairly close to us. No way in hell would I hop in a plane for a sub or regional. Is DPC a true test of golf? Of course not. Is there a lot of luck involved? Hell Yes. That said, I'm sure my son will keep doing it for years to come.

If you can get your hands on tickets, does your child get to DCP on the property? with the event being televised? Oh and how much are tickets because as we all know DCP is free.

I'm in the minority it seems, but I thought the process was fun. This was my son's first time competing and he made it a lot further than I ever thought. Luckily all 3 qualifiers were fairly close to us. No way in hell would I hop in a plane for a sub or regional. Is DPC a true test of golf? Of course not. Is there a lot of luck involved? Hell Yes. That said, I'm sure my son will keep doing it for years to come.

No problem getting tickets to the masters it is not cheap but anyone who belongs to a country club tcan pretty much get them. Also if you have an Amex card they will hook you up.

• 3 months later...

Registration opens up today. I know HH will be the first to sign up. :taunt:

https://www.drivechipandputt.com/

I have decided to not even mention it to my kid this year. Enough advertising on TV. If he wants to play, he can ask me.

• 4 months later...

A couple weeks ago, yeah

and...

I mean, it was just the local. Daughter just moved up to 10-11 group. Scored all 3 drives, all three chips. Had never done that before, so I think walked into the putting a little too confident. 1 pt on the 15', 30'. Yeah. Still managed a strong 2nd. Like I said, top three in that age group usually isn't that competitive.

My daughter is tall for her age, but the 1st place finisher was EASILY 6-8 inches taller, just crushing drives. If she can keep the driving & chipping, and post a solid score on putting we should move on to Regionals

Any kids do their local yet? Ours is coming up tomorrow.

A few weeks ago; he did well, was second overall and made it to the next round, scored well on driving and putting - the chipping was meh.

FWIW - I did not go to the local; I never miss an opportunity to see him play; I try and make every PGA jr league match tournament etc.. but DCP is skill and luck with a lot more luck.. the sub regional is a few months away and still not certain if I will make the effort.

Any kids do their local yet? Ours is coming up tomorrow.

A few weeks ago; he did well, was second overall and made it to the next round, scored well on driving and putting - the chipping was meh.

FWIW - I did not go to the local; I never miss an opportunity to see him play; I try and make every PGA jr league match tournament etc.. but DCP is skill and luck with a lot more luck.. the sub regional is a few months away and still not certain if I will make the effort.

LOL. C’mon dad! If it’s worth it to him to make the effort to enter DCP, then go support him if your schedule allows, Even if you think it is dumb. I agree with the luck thing in DCP and that it’s mostly a novelty kind of competition, but geez, it’s something he is working towards - really it is no less “meaningless” (golfwrx junior forum buzz word of the year) than PGA JL, US Kids, or whatever else. Not trying to jump all over you brother, just a jab ?. And BTW, congrats to your son! I’me sure he is excited to have qualified to the next level.

is it just me or are the scores really low for winners this year? I know in our "region" I follow a lot of scores and they seem to be wayyy low.

that was my thinking too. My son scored a lot better as a 7 yr old, but that was due to how well he putt last time around. He made the first two putts which was huge. This time, he missed the 5 footer for 15 points, earned 20 points on the 2nd putt and then blew it by for 1 point on the long putt.

that was my thinking too. My son scored a lot better as a 7 yr old, but that was due to how well he putt last time around. He made the first two putts which was huge. This time, he missed the 5 footer for 15 points, earned 20 points on the 2nd putt and then blew it by for 1 point on the long putt.

Yeah, at the local I was accustomed to seeing pretty easy putts. This time, both the longer putts had significant break and up/downhill to them.

is it just me or are the scores really low for winners this year? I know in our "region" I follow a lot of scores and they seem to be wayyy low.

my daughter did awful but good enough to survive. But looking around I've seen what I would think are bad scores win. I guess the only one you need to "win" is regionals. Just do well enough to move on.

After last year and seeing how the points work I believe the key to advancing in DCP is to sink one of the putts for 25 points and then try and get at least another 15 points on the other putts. The putt distances are 6, 15 and 30 feet. You pretty much have to make the 6 footer otherwise the odds go down a lot.

If you do okay with chipping and put 3 easy shots down the middle on the driver chances are you going to advance. The higher up they advance the more crucial is to sink a putt. Once you get to a round where all the kids are good it just a matter of who's ball rolls closer on a chip or gets lucky with a putt.

After last year and seeing how the points work I believe the key to advancing in DCP is to sink one of the putts for 25 points and then try and get at least another 15 points on the other putts. The putt distances are 6, 15 and 30 feet. You pretty much have to make the 6 footer otherwise the odds go down a lot.

If you do okay with chipping and put 3 easy shots down the middle on the driver chances are you going to advance. The higher up they advance the more crucial is to sink a putt. Once you get to a round where all the kids are good it just a matter of who's ball rolls closer on a chip or gets lucky with a putt.

I agree totally. When my kid scored a 1 on the third putt he looked over at me and we both started laughing

My two kids did our local earlier this month. My son (10, competitive golfer) has advanced 2/3 years he has done DCP but neither time advanced past the 2nd round. My daughter (8, doesn't really practice golf) was competing for her 2nd time. When asked if she wanted to practice her response was "I should probably practice chipping. My driving is really good though, as long as I don't miss the ball" Definitely low expectations.

My son drives the ball pretty far for his age, and I think he wanted to show off, so he proceeded to get 0 points on drive. Then his chipping was avg, and his putting poor. Not typical of his ability but that's how it can go when hitting 9 shots. Didn't place in any discipline.

My daughter got all 3 drives in the grid, got 2 chips (one of which was skulled and rolled up on the green) close to the hole. She made the first putt, got the second close (left it a little short) and completely blasted the third off the green (made up for leaving second short I guess). Placed in each discipline and 2nd overall advancing.

So the point of sharing my experience is I think it is a good low key event for kids of all skill types to compete in. It is free for the kids and they usually give them a nice gift. But certainly don't take it too seriously as it does require some luck and it is worth remembering that when you are considering whether to take a kid hours away to compete in the next level.