Blades?

I'll throw my hat in here because I went through the exact same thing, however I was a scratch player with Ping I3 O-size and then decided to switch to blades.

I think you just need to ask a few questions about your situation and go from there.

Why do you want the blades?

-If you really like the look of them and becoming 'really good' is an afterthought, then get them

-If you are trying to be a really good player then I'd sit and consider this one for a minute. Many people want blades for 2 main reasons, usually because they want to work the ball and because they feel better. I think working the ball now is extremely hard with the new balls and any work will just be on trajectory and minor curves. Feel and look can be deceptive because most clubs now look the same (even the blades today aren't the same size as the blades of 10 years ago)

-Where do you play? I played in PA where theres always rain and soggy groud so getting a blade that even in slightly poor weather will dig is a really hard choice. Yes, even Tour players would struggle with poor weather. Now if you live in Texas or Florida, go for it. I've played down there and you can just mash that ball into the ground worry free of a chuncked shot.

-If you had a crap lie that you HAD to fly your ball 200 yards over some hazard onto a green would you want these clubs? I mean its an honest question, but in a pressure situation would you be thinking about forgiveness of your clubs, even for a second?

Its up to you bud.

To finish my story, I played my best golf ever using Ping i3 osize. Huge clubs but I never missed a shot and forgiveness was the last thing on my mind. I switched to blades and 2 things essentially happened.

Yes, I can hit it more solidly at times

Yes, my game has gotten worse. I spent TOOOOO much time hitting it and little on the short game, and subsequently I hit less greens and added pressure on a deteriorating short game.

My solution? I'm looking at a new set of Ping Irons that have reduced offset, which can be done if you call the Ping WRX shop. I thought it was cool to have blades, but after the honeymoon I'm sick of missing a 3 iron that goes only 170 when it should go about 210.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I am a high school sophomore (on the school team) with a job as a cart attendant at a US Open Qualifying course. I was talking to my boss (and teacher) about getting new irons, at the time I was using Adamsgolf GT3's (Imagine a sledgehammer attached to a golf shaft). I typically was shooting around a 45-49 but really had trouble hitting my irons, so my boss gave me the best advice I have ever gotten. "Get a set of hard to hit irons, play them until you learn to hit them good consistently. THEN go get a new set, your ball striking and swing will have improved so much." So he gave me his old set of Ben Hogan Apex blades, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am hitting them soooooo well, and my ball striking.......major improvement!! I am now shooting under 45 consistently (on 9 holes), and wouldn't dream of changing irons! Now I did put in PLENTY of range hours, so it does take effort. But if you want blades, go for it!

If your ball striking is not pretty good, you will learn FAST how to fix that. Otherwise your hands will feel numb for the day :cheesy:

i have the 735.cm's and i love them, the bladish feel and look with more of an easy to hit feeling. No matter what iron or blade you hit, you can usually fnd one thats harder to hit. When my ballstriking is off i practice with and old macgregor 3-iron blade. It got to be one of the hardest clubs to hit. After 2 buckets with that club any iron feels amazingly easy to hit.

Whats' In The Bag

Driver: Tileist 907 D2

3-Wood:Nike Sasquatch proto

Irons:Titleist 735.cm (all Clubs paintfilled in various colours)

Wedges: Titleist vokey design oil can finish 56* & 60*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select

WITB 

TM Stealth+ 9.5* Accra TZ6 Proto 75 M5 

Titleist 915 FD 3+ 13* Diamana Whiteboard X 80

TaylorMade P7TW 3-9 Tour Issue DG X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48, 52,56,60 DG X100

Stroke Lab Black Double Wide Arm Lock

(50 back up putters)

Listen, golf nuts,

Why do we play golf? Why are we members of this discussion board? I doubt we all have realistic aspirations of life on the pro tour - if you you, kudos. The reason for the aforementioned phenomena is that we love the game of golf. For me, it is therapeutic and I wouldn't trade the enjoyment I get from the game for another diversion - ever.

But as for this blade talk: I'm a self-proclaimed blade guy - have been since I was tall enough for men's clubs. I'm thankful for this as it has shaped my game and taught me incalculable lessons of my golf swing. I've always been asked why it is that I don't switch to cavity back irons or something more forgiving. Plainly, I don't want to. Sure, I have mishits, blade some off the toe, and hit some fat. But I have had the pleasure of playing my friends' irons (non-blade) for giggles on occasion, and it bores me. It takes away the challenge of hitting the elusive, dime-sized sweet spot. They simply make the game a bit less fun (for me) and that is all that matters.

Look, if blades don't suit your fancy, that's perfectly fine. As we say in Spain: <<No pasa nada>> (don't worry about it). But to say they are obsolete or preventing someone from marginally shaving off a stroke or two from a round is a bit acidic and incalculable.

Let's stop bickering about one's iron preference, eh? Respect one's decision to play blade, cavity-back, or mixed-set.

Otherwise, it just seems like those who are knocking blades (a) have never hit them, or (b) have had bad experiences with them.

Golf is so much about the overall experience and so little about the arbitrary things like equipment changes, down to the very last ribbed grip or "sensicored" shaft or 2* lie adjustment. Go out. Have a ball. Try blades sometime. Oh, and persimmon.

There are some great points in this message. I agree golf is about having fun more than anything. I'm a 16 hcp and mostly play X-20's and i5's but rotate in one the best forged cavity back's ever, the Bridgestone J33's and a set of Mizuno MP-100's. Frankly, at my level I don't even notice any difference in scoring. In fact my best round ever was when I was playing the Bridgestones. The reason I play all these irons is that IT"S FUN!

I am currently playing Titleist 735 cm's which I switched to last season from a set of Mizuno MP 14's. I always struck the ball pretty well with my MP 14's but the 735's are much easy to hit and I am more consistent with them. Not to say that I hit the ball farther or anything its just that if you dont hit high iron blades solid then you are gonna notice a loss in distance and accuracy. With the combo set your getting a better chance to be more accurate and have the correct distance with the long irons if your not a perfect ball striker all the time. I sure have noticed a difference in my long iron play.

• 2 weeks later...

Very few PGA Tour players use blades, so there is no way an average amateur should use them. I'm just gonna say that up front. Also, it really depends on your playing style. If you try to work the ball into flags rather than aim to the middle of the greens and make putts, they may be for you. But, what you have to understand is that you have to have a solid, repeatable swing. You also have to keep in mind that you will have really, really bad days hitting those irons. If you are even a hair off on contact, you'll have a really bad shot.

I know blades might be too much club for me, but I just can't give up on the VR blades... I fantasize about them. I LOVE the look of the blades but don't really like the look of the other two. From what I read on the reviews on here, they're fairly forgiving (as far as blades go). I would be willing to practice as much as it takes to get good enough for these irons.. I can't forget them.

No offense but you sound really dumb to me. You can "fantasize" all you want about irons. So, if you want them really bad be prepared to "fantasize" about the scores you used to shoot, and how you used to play. Honestly get the splits or full if anything.

Am i the only one who found this kind of hilarious? I think you overestimate the power the phrase "no offense".

I know blades might be too much club for me, but I just can't give up on the VR blades... I fantasize about them. I LOVE the look of the blades but don't really like the look of the other two. From what I read on the reviews on here, they're fairly forgiving (as far as blades go). I would be willing to practice as much as it takes to get good enough for these irons.. I can't forget them.

No offense but you sound really dumb to me. You can "fantasize" all you want about irons. So, if you want them really bad be prepared to "fantasize" about the scores you used to shoot, and how you used to play. Honestly get the splits or full if anything.

i agree completley....

if u feel its a must then go ahead but dont rush it if anything.... yes i play blades but i am an acomplished ball striker with a .5 handicap so you have to put those kind of things into consideration... you have to find the gear that works with your game not what works on your eyes

I guess it would depend on why you are a ten handicap? Do you make 10 bogey's by sucking at putting? Hit the ball in the woods off the tee? or cause your iron play sucks?

If it's the latter stay away from the blades. If you have a solid iron game you could consider them I guess. One thing you've got going for you as a junior I'm guessing you have all the time in the world to practice and play. I was out on the course and range 9-5 before a little thing called work got in the way.

Get a bunch of different 5 irons on the range. Before you get a good look at them get someone to tape the backs. See what works best. If you haven't hit them your fantasies of them are a result of successful MARKETING.

Get the blades. I've been using blades for 16 years. The lowest I've ever got was a 2 hcap, now around 5. I don't get as much playing time as before. Been using it since I was a 28 hcap, never used cavity backs, and don't plan to do so. Why? I just love the look of the blades.

Get it, buy it, learn how to play with it, and love it. If it doesn't work, you can always change to your old one right ??? hahhaha.....

I agree with some of the others that have talked about a combo set. If you want to try a sweet set of forged combo irons try the Pro Combo... not to much money these days(can have them bent for you) Or the J33 Combo irons (also forged). If those still aren't hip or difficult enough for you, you can always pay full boat for the new TW blades. Its not that blades are hard to hit, they just make it miserable for you if your having an average to bad day on the course. A little extra lift/meat in the long irons is always welcome, notice almost every pro that plays a 2 iron

uses a more friendly iron than his 3-pw set.

I am tired of the people that can't hit blades or have the conception that they can't hit blades trying to convince others not to buy them. I have tried to go to more game improvement players irons, but never get comfortable with them and always end up back with blades. Go with what you want, and not what anyone tells you that you need unless they are a professional clubfitter with no ulterior motives. If you go with something deemed as more game improvement, you will always have in the back of your mind that you should have gave the blades a try. You don't need that doubt. So get what makes you happy. Btw, I have the Nike VR blades right now and I think they are plenty forgiving, but with all the other great characteristics that a blade gives you.