The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

I am looking to get this driver to help me hit more fairways as well. Still deciding on what loft and shaft to get because I am typically a high launcher. Also, if I choose the 9* and decide to go up in loft, I don't want the face to close so much on an already draw biased driver so I hook a lot. If I choose the 10.5* and decide to go down in loft, I don't want the face to open and bring my slice back...

I'm going back and forth between this and a 913 or 915 D2. Trying to figure out which is easier to hit straight and longer.

I am looking to get this driver to help me hit more fairways as well. Still deciding on what loft and shaft to get because I am typically a high launcher. Also, if I choose the 9* and decide to go up in loft, I don't want the face to close so much on an already draw biased driver so I hook a lot. If I choose the 10.5* and decide to go down in loft, I don't want the face to open and bring my slice back...

I'm going back and forth between this and a 913 or 915 D2. Trying to figure out which is easier to hit straight and longer.

The Fusion is not draw biased. Also not a paticularly high launching driver. Very neutral ball flight.

Got mine a couple months back with the Diamana red, then trimmed down my Rogue Phenom NL to the same length and played that a few rounds. Both were good, still had some bad shots with either. Got a deal on a normal Rogue Phenom and just for fun, trimmed it down to 44.5" to test that theory. It's hard for me to slice it, granted I have done it a couple times because I'm that good, but 95% of shots are pretty straight. My tendency to play left to play my slice is very clear, so once I get that cleaned up, I should be in business! At least off the tee...

My Fusion finally got kicked out of the bag by a Ping G400. Now that thing is a fairway finding machine. Time to find a matching 3 wood.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

My Fusion finally got kicked out of the bag by a Ping G400. Now that thing is a fairway finding machine. Time to find a matching 3 wood.

Given your sig, looks like you will be spending allot of money. The question is, will PING make a ball for you?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

G400 is definitely a "contender" (for me) but I found the Fusion more forgiving/straighter with similar distance.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Bad day today. Missing left and right. No driver would fix the issues I had today. Hit a few fades and over correct to a hook. Aim down the right side and fade comes back. Aim down the left side and here comes a hook. Frustrating.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Given your sig, looks like you will be spending allot of money. The question is, will PING make a ball for you?

My signature is very out of date. I mean very. LOL

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

My signature is very out of date. I mean very. LOL

That was fast.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Seems to me the easiest, most forgiving driver I have ever hit. Triangular head prevented me from even trying, but now it is my go to driver. First driver that I felt I could swing as hard as I want and it just goes straight.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Seems to me the easiest, most forgiving driver I have ever hit. Triangular head prevented me from even trying, but now it is my go to driver. First driver that I felt I could swing as hard as I want and it just goes straight.

I agree with everything you stated and will also add that the spin rates (at least for me) are incredibly low no matter where I make contact on the face. I'm averaging 1800-2000 RPM with an Aldila Rogue 125.

If driver is that forgiving and that good as many of the members stated, why is there so many of it for sale on Callaway Pre-owned? I think this was the most used clubs i’ve seen listed on Callaway Pre-owned.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

If driver is that forgiving and that good as many of the members stated, why is there so many of it for sale on Callaway Pre-owned? I think this was the most used clubs i’ve seen listed on Callaway Pre-owned.

That’s not a question that can really be answered. At least in part, it may be do to the massive hype around the Epic. I’ve got both and I’m playing the Fusion. I’ve got 3 buddies that hope to find them for a deal this winter. Why? Because they see how well it’s working for me. That still doesn’t mean it will work for any of them.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I love the Fusion and it's been great for my game but I will readily admit that it's not for everyone. For me it's quite forgiving and lowish spin but I've seen countless reviews for higher swing speed players that produced a lot of spin with it. I'm thinking that the two stock shafts are high torque and don't fit the profile of higher swing speeds. Mark Crossfield addressed this in his review and was convinced that with the right shaft even those players could find representative length with the extra forgiveness and accuracy that this club is known for. For me this club is a unicorn driver giving me better length than my previous attempts at an SGI driver along with the forgiveness and accuracy.

Keep in mind that the Fusion was released about this time last year which is not always the best time for new equipment releases as most people are shutting golf down for the year. It was essentially a cash grab by Callaway for the holiday season and to have something until Epic was released.

Same thing happened with the Optiforce driver and it was an outstanding but overlooked club. The Epic may be a few yards longer for me on perfect hits but Fusion is point and shoot. Epic can be very wild on me if I put a bad swing on it.

Tried them all this year but fusion won just about month ago, fusion fairway and Big Bertha hybrids all forcing all the time

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

I don’t own a Fusion but have hit it quite a bit & love it.

My XR16-Pro is just such a killer that I don’t need to change to a Fusion, when I tested the Fusion, I paired it with my three favorite shafts, Diamana D+ 70x, Fubuki K70x & gamer in the XR, Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75x, all at 45”.

With the Fubuki & Oban I played at 9deg & the D+ at +1, results were awesome, with the right side completely out of play & spin was in the 2000-2500 with all three shafts.

The Fubuki gave the best results of launch & spin & netted the longest overall distance.

If I didn’t have the Oban Gold XR16- Pro combo, I’d have a Fusion by now.

44.5” stiff Recoil with 12g weight

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

So it reacts well with heavier stiffer shafts too? Because i have a 661 speeder stiff and its a bit light and whippy and i wanna try a stouter shaft

Yeah absolutely, however, I think that I’d prefer it with the heavier weight in the head 12g.

I’ve done it with nearly all my drivers when I started the heavy shaft revolution, I cut thin strips of lead tape & wrap as much of it around the weight, usually around 2-4g. This gets me to my no. around D6 & about 330g, can’t explain it but that seems to be where I love my driver & 3w. Off the shelf stuff comes in at 300g-315g & with the right shaft I can bomb it but just feels too light & uncontrollable. So I did not weigh the Fusion or swing weight test it but could tell that it was not quite in my window of D5-D7 & 320g-330g, still really liked it & would happily game it..

So it reacts well with heavier stiffer shafts too? Because i have a 661 speeder stiff and its a bit light and whippy and i wanna try a stouter shaft

I see you mentioned 661, if you liked this shaft but wanted to tighten things up a bit, you might wanna try the Fujikura Pro 63, I have one in x flex & it really performs, this is my go to in the lighter shaft catagory but actually comes in at 69g which is not far off my 73g-77g range.

It performs exactly as stated mid launch /mid-low spin, & seems to find the fairway too. For me this is most similar to the original Fubuki Tour in feel & performance. Just a suggestion though if you were not quite sure what you might like??

• 4 weeks later...

This is still the easiest, most forgiving driver I have ever hit. I had the G sft and this thing feels so much better and is more forgiving and I did not think I would ever say that. Anyone else thinks this is under the radar due to all the status of the Epic line? 3 wood is great too.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Currently gaming the GBB with T800 HZRDUS 55 5.5 and hitting it well. Tried the Fusion on the course along side my gamer. Maybe 5 yds difference between the two if that with the GBB being slightly ahead.

The odd thing about the Fusion was by the end of the round I felt lost at address in terms of aligning it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

• 1 month later...

This is still the easiest, most forgiving driver I have ever hit. I had the G sft and this thing feels so much better and is more forgiving and I did not think I would ever say that. Anyone else thinks this is under the radar due to all the status of the Epic line? 3 wood is great too.

I play mine at 45" (with the 5 g weight in the head) with a Handcrafted HZRDUS Yellow. I've added 20 cotton balls (around 10 grams total weight) to the head. Love it. First time anything came close to beating out my Great Big Bertha head (which, by the way, easily fought off the Epic).

Ping G430 LST 9* 
Ping G430 5W 17*

Ping G430 4H 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 Yellow 

Just as an update.

I have the Hzrdus Black shaft in the club for almost 3 months now and have never hit a driver better or more consistently. :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X