Left hand low commitment

C_rad

LHL for about 30 years, great lag putter but finally got yippy at close range. Might go 5 feet past on 5 footer while missing hole by a foot.

Now using LHL with gator RH inside about 20-25 ft and I'm one of the best putters I know. I always made more than my share of mid range putts, but now surprised when I miss inside 10 ft...feel like I can make them all. Speed is very good and nearly always start it online. Use standard LHL for lags.

Couple of thoughts IMHO (1) hard to avoid yips over years/decades of trying hard to make putts the same way...the neural pathways just get fried and (2) the same bit of wrist release that helps feel and distance control on lag putts can eventually become an uncontrollable twitch close in.

Most of us have to change grips and or technique eventually...practicing more doesn't work, you have to use differnt circuits. Look at tour players...Langer being prime multi-decade example. I love LHL gator btw. Love putting again.

Until this past season I was a right hand low guy as Im left handed, and the advantages for me with a cross handed grip are twofold.

For one, it really makes distance control, especially for beginners, much easier because it takes the "hit" out of the putt. It forces one to rock the shoulders.

I think people tend to get their shoulder leveling out of whack and it can cause, although not for some, issues with strike point and alignment. LHL makes the bottom of the swing a lot easier to see.

What's tougher is some times the line of the putt can be lost because the right hand (for me) gets moved around unknowingly. I think its a great grip and many golfers can be very successful with it.

I love LHL gator btw. Love putting again.

Interesting! What the heck is Left Hand Low Gator? :)

edit--- i found some video... yikes that feels bizarre!

It's awesome, assume it was clear I meant gator RH. Ymmv but pure stroke, no hit, like a machine inside 10-15 feet. I do a slight variation that for me is more comfortable, almost RH claw (again, with LHL). Whatever works.

I love LHL gator btw. Love putting again.

Interesting! What the heck is Left Hand Low Gator? :)

edit--- i found some video... yikes that feels bizarre!

It's awesome, assume it was clear I meant gator RH. Ymmv but pure stroke, no hit, like a machine inside 10-15 feet. I do a slight variation that for me is more comfortable, almost RH claw (again, with LHL). Whatever works.

Sounds interesting for sure!

Ive been LHL for over a year and while it feels very "comfortable" to me Im a poor lag putter. Ive never had a putting lesson so i want to try that before switching anything up, but as an 8 hcp I feel like Ive hit a wall until I become more consistent with all the different wedge shots and the putter. Nothing worse than a round filled with lots of fir and gir thats riddled with 3 jacks.

I’m a pretty good player and have used l for hand low since high school. I made an adjustment this year and really focused on getting The putter grip in the palm of my right hand

Really took the arc out of my stoke eliminated spin. 5 footer are almost gimmes now and I’m consistently hitting the sweet spot.

Never hit it before with my arc eeee stroke

I've flip flopped grip styles the last 6 or 8 years and lhl just feels way more solid and consistent. The place I struggle with it is when greens are slow. Not like 6pm and they got a little fuzzy. I mean the courses that don't cut them so tight. Faster greens I putt way better on because I feel like lhl shuts down my wrists through impact so it's a shoulder swing big muscle action where there's no BS.

I find it easier with a mallet style head as well but I think that's just personal preference.

If you use conventional style and can't make it in a basketball hoop then try lhl. You'll be glad you did

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

Have been toying with LHL for a few months now, but only in practice. Always went conventional on the course.

Switched to LHL on the course this weekend for the first time, with fantastic results! Much better speed control on the (very) fast greens, and deadly accurate inside 8 ft. As a result, shot my first under 80 round ever, including two long putts for birdies. Might be the honeymoon phase, but not going back to conventional anytime soon.

been using LHL all season with my Futura 6m. has it drastically helped my putting? overall...meh. average less than 30 putts per round (averaged just under 31 with regular grip) -- but i realized inside 10-15' it's much more consistent, longer putts not so much. kind of a toss up really -- make more inside 15'...or hit it closer outside 15'...lol

yea yea, i know, "just hit it closer and you're golden".

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

been using LHL all season with my Futura 6m. has it drastically helped my putting? overall...meh. average less than 30 putts per round (averaged just under 31 with regular grip) -- but i realized inside 10-15' it's much more consistent, longer putts not so much. kind of a toss up really -- make more inside 15'...or hit it closer outside 15'...lol

Guess it comes down to what feels better either mentally and or physically?

Guess it comes down to what feels better either mentally and or physically?

whenever i make a change, swing related, putting related, etc -- i stick to it and let it run it's course. i'll be sticking with LHL until i see something that indicates a change is necessary.

i just know that if i have a putt inside 8', it's going in. and right now, that's a great feeling/confidence to have.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I've pretty much always been between lhl and conventional. I always defaulted to conventional on the course. Until very recently...

Not sure which it was, but I bought an alignment aid and then a sigma g kushin and I'm lhl only now. That putter just doesn't feel right conventional. Lhl feels so good and I make putts with the combination of that putter and lhl. I go back to my old putter and lhl doesn't feel the same. Very weird but very good too.

LHL works when your on slick greens, at least for me. I ran into troubles on longer putts/ slower greens when i had to give it a good whack. I've been conventional putting ever since (~6 years).

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

To get good at distance control LHL, you can either commit to it until it starts to feel natural, or you can immensely speed up the process by doing 'ladder' putting drills every day (or every time you at the course or range.)

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Op here. I really triex the lhl for the past two years. Pratice every night or so, and felt like even if the resulst werent there yet, they would come eventually. But i hit a wall. Was never comfortable and had difficulty releasing the putter. Tried conventional for a round just because i was curious. Nothing was working anymore. I had never made that many putt. It just ridiculous. Its been a month now that i am back to conventional. I think the lhl helped my conventional grip. At lleast i tried.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Arnold Palmer was asked, what would the one thing he would change, if he was starting out in golf.............His answer was "I'd putt left hand low"........

For those that do putt LHL, do you have a slight forward press (like Spieth)?........Do you stand square to your line or slightly open or closed?

I have gone to a slight press and am seeing some really good results. Seems like a little trigger to get the putter head moving. Ball seems to roll very smooth.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Op here. I really triex the lhl for the past two years. Pratice every night or so, and felt like even if the resulst werent there yet, they would come eventually. But i hit a wall. Was never comfortable and had difficulty releasing the putter. Tried conventional for a round just because i was curious. Nothing was working anymore. I had never made that many putt. It just ridiculous. Its been a month now that i am back to conventional. I think the lhl helped my conventional grip. At lleast i tried.

That may be the crux of the problem. LHL isn't about releasing the putter, it is a pull down the target line with the left hand staying square to the line/facing the target. You should feel absolutely no release.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Been struggling with putting for a few years now, primary miss being missing to the right just a few degrees, just enough to miss on the edge for short putts, a cup for mid range putts and a foot or so on longer putts. I could adjust my aim but I like to putt with a line on the ball so adjusting would look off. Went left hand low in September after finally being fed up enough, and thus far it’s worked. The stroke still feels awkward but it’s getting better. Distance control has always been good, but the important things is my putts are coming out right on line. So enjoyable to stand over a short putt, or any putt and know you’ve got a real chance rather than hit and hope.

I have never been a good putter, have astigmatism, poor depth perception, do not read greens that well. I NEVER used to make ANYTHING, then I switched.

I am still not that great of a putter, but I can make putts. I had about 10% of my rounds under 30 putts this year, avg about 31.0 on the season.

I tried to make the switch a few times before, but did not stay committed. I am glad I stuck it out last season.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

• 1 year later...

Personally I found the shape of the grip to influence how I putt (LHL vs conventional). It’s mainly about comfort and confidence for me. I can putt equally as good (or bad) either way.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

I putted conventional for the first 10 years of playing. I was never a great putter but could two putt from anywhere (including 5 feet ;)). I switched to claw about 2 years ago and had much better success making putts. Although I really liked it I still just didn’t feel great.

I switched to LHL a few months ago, and while it is still a work in progress, I have enjoyed it thus far. I really like it from 15 feet and in and longer putts take some trust. I will say for me, it is about tempo and keeping a smooth rhythm. I practice a lot with a metronome at 65-70 BPM as it is slightly faster than the tour average. I have putt much better and still need to get better.

Nothing like knowing the ball is starting on line though so all you need to work on is speed. Before I had to worry about line and speed which could be disastrous during a bad putting round.

FWIW I also have historically used an anser style putter but switched to a face balanced mallet during my LHL.

My lie angle changes with left hand low. Putter loft is usually ~3° and a change in lie will push the ball.

I pushed at first -- then I moved ball position forward slightly

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I made the transition to LHL about 2 years ago. My distance control is actually the opposite as you. LHL my distance control is phenomenal. Conventional my distance control is terrible.

Conventional left me with pulls and pushes. LHL, I pretty much always start on line. My big issue is with Lag putting. I found that playing around with the head weight has made big changes there.

I would suggest getting some lead tape (if you don't have adjustable weights) and just add a few grams at a time and make note of the changes. My sweet spot seems to be around 340gram headweight.

I also found that the superstroke pistol grips have helped a lot. I like the 1.0 but the 2.0 feels great too.