Who can REALLY tell the difference in brands of golfballs?

64degreewedge

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One particular ball that stands very different frm other premium balls.....Titleist ProV. This ball spins way too much, my game can not control the spin. I rarely hit a slice or wild hooks with the driver......but with the spin on this ball....it happens. Around the greens.....same way. If I put a left to right spin....ball with hit the green and go right quite a bit.....same with right to left.....ball will go left.

With other premium balls......can not really tell the difference except the feel.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

Even as a higher single digit capper, I can tell the difference in feel, approach spin, greenside spin, and launch height between various premium balls. I understand that there are people who cannot, and I accept that.

With that in mind, I find it hard to believe that guys approaching scratch or better would not be immediately able to tell the differences between premium balls.

There are people here who cannot discern any difference and readily project their lack of perceptiveness onto all others. I don’t agree at all that a person has to be a pro to be able to realistically perceive small performance/feel differences in premium balls.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Most real sticks can tell the difference between the higher X compression ball and the lower, but probably not brand to brand between the premiums. Maybe by dimple pattern and finish for someone who is real into it. If you took all the brand markings off of the Srixon Z star, ProV1, TP5, Bridgestone 330, I doubt many could distinguish them.

I can definitely tell the difference between balls having played a lot of different types. Now, given a blind test I couldn't determine the specific ball. But if given unmarked V1 and V1x, or similar make/models, I'm very confident I could tell which is which from driver thru to putter

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I'm a 4 hcp, but I'm the type of single-digit who doesn't hit it solid very often. I just have a consistent swing pattern that allows me to hit plenty of fairways and greens.

Then there are guys who may be higher single digits but they have more swing speed and hit the ball more solid and more often, just have bigger misses left or right, or both. Those are the guys I would think could better tell different ball types apart.

I can tell the difference in different ball categories (difference between 2-piece surlyn and 3-4 piece urethane, or the 60 and below compression soft balls), but other than that, no. A ProV1, V1x, Bridgestone 330 series, MG C4, and other urethane balls all feel the same to me. The Callaway Supersoft and Wilson Duo feel the same.

I've shot my record score with the V1x, qualified and played in a state mid-am with the C4, won two gross match play events with the Supersoft and won another tournament including an eagle and hole-in-one with the Duo. The type of ball I play doesn't seem to make a difference in score. If I were to suggest a ball I would tell anyone to play what they chip and putt best with.

I could probably take my putter and after an hour feel slight differences between the ProV1 and V1X or the Supersoft and Duo, but that's it. I hardly ever lose a ball but I still like the find the best deals so other than finding a good lost premium ball on the course I usually play the MG C4 and since they now come in yellow I play them year round.

A guy I know(7-10HCI) said to me last year "I need the spin that Titleist gives me"

I guess he can tell. He plays the yellow NXT Tour S which is renowned for its spin characteristics.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

If you put 6 different manufacturers balls down on the ground I couldn't tell you by feel which was which but there's definitely a difference in feel between different premium balls, especially off the putter.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I think it just depends on the balls you're comparing - take the hardest ball and play it right after the softest ball and you'll tell a difference I think no matter what kind of player you are.

I also think if you play the same ball all the time you get to know it pretty well and anything different would stand out more.

I don't play nearly as much as some on here but I will say that I've played the QStar Tour a lot this summer - and I slipped in a 3pack of the new Trusofts that were given to me and I could definitely tell a difference in feel on the putting green but not really anywhere else.

I used to spend a lot of time and money on fairly high-end audio. Believe me when I say you do not want to get into any part of double-blind testing as a way of confirming your preferences. It will be a soul-crushing defeat for everything you hold dear.

Although I will say once the shock and despair wore off, in the ensuing decades I've save a FORTUNE by being able to buy cheap and readily available mass-market audio gear.

For what's it's worth I remember reading a test in which they took away the sound of the ball being struck and no one could tell the difference between balls, any balls. Conclusion was that it's the lower pitched sound of urethane balls. Well I do not believe it, completely. On pure strikes maybe, but off enter hits, (not by me of course but I've heard others speak of such things), well there is were it is most obvious. (On off center hits).

Yep, and Ping tested their cast versus forged irons and pros could not reliably tell the difference.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

For what's it's worth I remember reading a test in which they took away the sound of the ball being struck and no one could tell the difference between balls, any balls. Conclusion was that it's the lower pitched sound of urethane balls. Well I do not believe it, completely. On pure strikes maybe, but off enter hits, (not by me of course but I've heard others speak of such things), well there is were it is most obvious. (On off center hits).

Yep, and Ping tested their cast versus forged irons and pros could not reliably tell the difference.

Double-blind testing, like Karma, is a B-I-blank-blank-blank!

I have a friend that picks at the local driving range. There is a 9 hole course adjacent to the course. The staff is allowed to sell any premium balls they find. A couple of times they fill garbage cans full of premium balls and sell them to used ball distributors. Long story short I have access to and have tried most of the premium balls on the market and can tell the difference in balls. Some feel better off of drivers and some are better off of irons. Some feel like a marshmallow when rolled with a putter and others are clicky. Some launch high while others take off on a lower trajectory. Some bore through the wind while others are moved off line more easily. For me the Pro V1 and x are probably my favorite overall balls in terms of feel off of every club. Next would be Taylormade or Srixon. For some reason I've never liked the feel of any Callaway ball. I have a bunch of Chrome Softs, Super Softs, and Tour I's. They perform well enough but they're my least favorite premium ball.

Growing up next to a golf course I supplemented my allowance by finding and selling golf balls. By doing that I was able to try out just about every make and model of ball back then. There definitely was a difference in feel between a ball like a Prostaff and say the bottom end Top Flite balls. Some felt like rocks off the club face while others felt like butter. Top Flite is one of those brands that seems more dedicated to the low cost end and thus most of their offerings tend to feel hard. The Top Flite Strata was a decent ball and what I hear of the Top Flite Gamer has me guessing it is a decent mid-level ball. The XL's are rocks, like Mojos, Pinnacle Golds etc.

I played some of my best rounds with Pinnacle Golds but they definitely have a different feel than a premium ball. At a course with firm greens you can definitely tell the performance difference between a low-end Rock-Flite and a premium ball. If you can't tell the difference I would think that is odd. I stopped playing premium balls for a while as I got sick of occasionally hitting a good full wedge shot to the middle of the green only to watch it suck back off the front of the green. Now I don't hit the ball with as much spin and a 'premium' ball suits my game better than it previously did.

I don't think there is anyone that can tell the difference between brands. They might be able to guess it is a Rock-Flite given they are a very popular low end ball.

I'm the same as that I used to spin balatas and early urethane balls a ton, but now find premium balls a good fit as I don't put as much spin on the ball.

Old age is a terrible thing.

I can tell between the lower compression/soft urethane balls and the hard ones.

For example, I couldn't tell you which of the following is was hitting from a pure performance stand point.

TP5, Zstar, FGTour, BRXS, CS. Ok maybe the higher trajectory of the Zstar, and lower flight of the CS, might give them away. But you get the idea: There are soft, mid, and hard feeling balls in both urethane and surlyn.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

For me, feel is perceived as sound. I can tell the difference in my Chrome Soft vs Chrome Soft X off the putter face. I can pretty well differentiate a Chrome Soft vs other balls off wedges. Off the driver not so much. I rarely use a ball other than the Chrome Soft so it is a non-issue for me.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

I just want to mention one last thing that I had completely forgot about until now. Last November when I began Christmas shopping I went into a popular golf store, at the entrance a sign listed the prices for golf club fitting, simulator rates, and GET THIS: "Golf Ball Fitting $5". I couldn't help laughing to myself that you would ACTUALLY have the guy look at your swing, ask you a few questions and then listed to him say "Ok, for your game either one of these two balls would suit you best". I'd like to know how many people paid the $5 for that.

I just want to mention one last thing that I had completely forgot about until now. Last November when I began Christmas shopping I went into a popular golf store, at the entrance a sign listed the prices for golf club fitting, simulator rates, and GET THIS: "Golf Ball Fitting $5". I couldn't help laughing to myself that you would ACTUALLY have the guy look at your swing, ask you a few questions and then listed to him say "Ok, for your game either one of these two balls would suit you best". I'd like to know how many people paid the $5 for that.

I made quite a bit of money that day!☺️

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

It is probably more hitting several different balls and seeing on a monitor which gives you optimal numbers.

i often practice shipping with several balls. If I'm using a mix of Z-Stars and ProV1s, I can definitely see and feel the difference in the way the balls check and roll out. I like both balls, but I seem to score better on average with the Srixon.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

I practiced pitching and chipping today solely using a Callaway MD Forged 50 degree wedge. So I threw in Titleist ProVX, Taylomade LDP Black, Bridgestone B330s and Maxfli U6 Tour.

My eyes, hands and hearing might be defective as I can not discern one from another

Yes they all spin differently but with my ability the differences are negligible. Pretty sure for someone more skilled than me, the differences are more critical to their game.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

The TP5X was the first ball that had a visible difference in ball flight in that it was quite a bit higher than any ball I'd played in the past. The Chrome soft had a feel that was recognizably soft compared to most balls. Now, there are quite a few low compression balls, so it might be harder to pick based on feel.

Other than surlyn/urethane or old top flite/new soft style ball, it's hard to tell much difference for me. I play Pro V1 and 1x, and I can definitely tell the difference in sound and feel off the irons. I could likely differentiate if you gave me a one-shot blind test between the two, assuming I made clean contact.