Playa Del Carmen-Mayen Riviera-Mexico

duffgolf

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I know I am a little late to the party for both of you who posted, but I thought I would shed a little light on this as I go down there every year as my dad has a winter home there. I don't really remember the prices of the courses and I also get a discount as I have a resident card. Expect to pay anywhere from $140 - $220 I would think.

Mayakoba - El Cameleon course. Greg Norman design. It's home to the Mayakoba Golf Classic on the PGA Tour every year. Very nice course. Two par 3's right on the ocean. There are a lot of other nice holes as well. It is perfectly manicured.

Bahia Principe - Riviera Maya course. Robert Trent Jones design. This is probably my favorite course in the area. Beautiful cenotes on a few holes, and lots of the natural landscape built into course. The course can be difficult. Drives in the fairway can become a real problem as there are slopes and undulations that will run your ball into trouble. Some local knowledge would be a benefit. Hope to gain some myself this year. Also perfectly manicured.

Grand Coral course. Nick Price design. Very nice golf course. Lots of water and less of the natural Mexican rock formation incorporated as the first two. Beautifully manicured as well.

All 3 of these are worth the money and I think you would thoroughly enjoy it. They are truly terrific and beautiful golf courses. Golf courses in Mexico are no joke. They take it seriously down there and the facilities and service are first rate. Some of the clubhouses down there will absolutely blow your mind. Depending on which courses you golf, expect some sort of "all inclusive" amenities with the price of your round.

Playacar. I haven't golfed this course yet but my dad has a quite a few times. Not sure of the designer but all the locals say it is the most challenging course in the area. Yes, even more difficult than the course used by the PGA tour. It's is supposed to have tight fairways, crazy bunkering, lots of mounding, plenty of water and smallish greens. It is supposed to be very nice although not as perfectly manicured. Doesn't mean is it a goat trail by any stretch, but it just won't look like the other courses that look like they roll out fresh astroturf every morning. I am playing this course in a couple weeks when I go do down and am very excited about it.

Protip: If you have never been to this area before, it is very humid and even if it's cloudy you're going to sweat/feel damp. I recommend you stock up on clothing that is made of moisture wicking fabric. Including underwear and socks. Thank me later.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='kerrlybill' timestamp='1362091469' post='6522679']
I know I am a little late to the party for both of you who posted, but I thought I would shed a little light on this as I go down there every year as my dad has a winter home there. I don't really remember the prices of the courses and I also get a discount as I have a resident card. Expect to pay anywhere from $140 - $220 I would think.

Mayakoba - El Cameleon course. Greg Norman design. It's home to the Mayakoba Golf Classic on the PGA Tour every year. Very nice course. Two par 3's right on the ocean. There are a lot of other nice holes as well. It is perfectly manicured.

Bahia Principe - Riviera Maya course. Robert Trent Jones design. This is probably my favorite course in the area. Beautiful cenotes on a few holes, and lots of the natural landscape built into course. The course can be difficult. Drives in the fairway can become a real problem as there are slopes and undulations that will run your ball into trouble. Some local knowledge would be a benefit. Hope to gain some myself this year. Also perfectly manicured.

Grand Coral course. Nick Price design. Very nice golf course. Lots of water and less of the natural Mexican rock formation incorporated as the first two. Beautifully manicured as well.

All 3 of these are worth the money and I think you would thoroughly enjoy it. They are truly terrific and beautiful golf courses. Golf courses in Mexico are no joke. They take it seriously down there and the facilities and service are first rate. Some of the clubhouses down there will absolutely blow your mind. Depending on which courses you golf, expect some sort of "all inclusive" amenities with the price of your round.

Playacar. I haven't golfed this course yet but my dad has a quite a few times. Not sure of the designer but all the locals say it is the most challenging course in the area. Yes, even more difficult than the course used by the PGA tour. It's is supposed to have tight fairways, crazy bunkering, lots of mounding, plenty of water and smallish greens. It is supposed to be very nice although not as perfectly manicured. Doesn't mean is it a goat trail by any stretch, but it just won't look like the other courses that look like they roll out fresh astroturf every morning. I am playing this course in a couple weeks when I go do down and am very excited about it.

Protip: If you have never been to this area before, it is very humid and even if it's cloudy you're going to sweat/feel damp. I recommend you stock up on clothing that is made of moisture wicking fabric. Including underwear and socks. Thank me later.
[/quote]

great info!

i will be in Playa in a month, i will reserve a round at Grand Coral since is right by the hotel i'll be staying.... can't wait!

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

anyone has played Moonpalace recently?
i will be there in may and looking fwd for a couple of rounds of good golf in the area

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

Vice ProPlus

• 1 month later...

I played both Iberostar Playa Paraiso and El Camaleon at Mayakoba last August. Both courses were in top shape. Makaykoba was absolutely beautiful although they were aerating. We had an issue with the pro shop guy there so it kinda soured our experience but would still go again. We were pretty much the only ones on the course both times. Iberostar was fun and is probably in my top 3 or 4. We payed $118 for Iberostar and $149 for El Camaleon (after they tried to charge us $229 because I booked thru a popular booking site and he wouldn't honor the advertised aerating discounted fee. That was our gripe)

• 1 month later...

friend of mine at a local course recommended this web page for booking tee times in cancun,
i will be at the moon palace in mid may and i'm plannig to use that to book someplace else:

[url="http://www.teedoffteetimes.com/"]http://www.teedoffteetimes.com/[/url]

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

Vice ProPlus

in the web page of Riviera Maya there is a hole by hole description with a smal virtual video... 10 & 11th look awesome...
do you remember how much did you pay? its more than 1 hour away from where i wil be staying but seems like its worth the shot

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

Vice ProPlus

• 2 months later...

I'm actually staying at the Rosewood Mayakoba. Originally, I planned to not play El Camaleon, since I just started last year, and my average round is way past 100.
But riding through the resort's canals...I'm reconsidering. Problem is, I didn't bring my shoes, gloves, balls, or clubs. They do have rental sets for $50 though...And lets be honest, I'll probably post the same score whether I have my clubs or not!

[quote name='LoPan12' timestamp='1433211070' post='11671446']
I'm actually staying at the Rosewood Mayakoba. Originally, I planned to not play El Camaleon, since I just started last year, and my average round is way past 100.
But riding through the resort's canals...I'm reconsidering. Problem is, I didn't bring my shoes, gloves, balls, or clubs. They do have rental sets for $50 though...And lets be honest, I'll probably post the same score whether I have my clubs or not!
[/quote]
Play it. You'd be a fool not to. It likely will only take about 3 hrs and so what if you spend some $$$. Rent some clubs (they have highend stuff) and get about 12-16 balls and enjoy. Play reasonably safe so you aren't whacking around in the mangroves and soak it in. Then when you watch it in the fall, you'll know all about the holes. And yes, they play the course in a different rotation than regular play.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1433211926' post='11671558']
Play it. You'd be a fool not to. It likely will only take about 3 hrs and so what if you spend some $$$. Rent some clubs (they have highend stuff) and get about 12-16 balls and enjoy. Play reasonably safe so you aren't whacking around in the mangroves and soak it in. Then when you watch it in the fall, you'll know all about the holes. And yes, they play the course in a different rotation than regular play.
[/quote]

I just said out loud "Okay, I think I have to play it."
My wife heard me and wryly replied "Oh, you [i]have[/i] to do you?"

:D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Updating this thread with a dilemma: Should I play Bahia Principe Riviera Maya in Tulum or Grand Coral?
I'll be staying south of Playa del Carmen. I'm a decent golfer and up for a course that comes with some challenges, but my 2-3 partners aren't frequent players so playability/fun is key. At first blush, Grand Coral seems a bit easier. But Bahia Principe looks gorgeous.
Price is also a big factor.

[quote name='kpottermn' timestamp='1446756221' post='12557952']
Updating this thread with a dilemma: Should I play Bahia Principe Riviera Maya in Tulum or Grand Coral?
I'll be staying south of Playa del Carmen. I'm a decent golfer and up for a course that comes with some challenges, but my 2-3 partners aren't frequent players so playability/fun is key. At first blush, Grand Coral seems a bit easier. But Bahia Principe looks gorgeous.
Price is also a big factor.
[/quote]
Wouldn't bet on one being easier than the other. BUT, if you are staying in the Tulum area, the cab ride to Grand Coral could be around $60-100 US each way. I've played Rivera Maya and it is a nice course. Has a few weak holes but more than enough tough ones.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1446756824' post='12557998']
Wouldn't bet on one being easier than the other. BUT, if you are staying in the Tulum area, the cab ride to Grand Coral could be around $60-100 US each way. I've played Rivera Maya and it is a nice course. Has a few weak holes but more than enough tough ones.
[/quote]

Staying about halfway between Tulum and Playa del Carmen, so the distance is pretty much a wash.

[quote name='kpottermn' timestamp='1446758345' post='12558120']
[/quote]

Staying about halfway between Tulum and Playa del Carmen, so the distance is pretty much a wash.
[/quote]
Distance wise it might be, but going through Playa at the wrong time of day is nightmarish. I would still play RM again if I had a chance. My favourite course is still the Playacar course in Playacar. Usually in good shape and doesn't rely on excess water to provide a challenge.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1446785456' post='12560026'][quote name='kpottermn' timestamp='1446758345' post='12558120']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Distance wise it might be, but going through Playa at the wrong time of day is nightmarish. I would still play RM again if I had a chance. My favourite course is still the Playacar course in Playacar. Usually in good shape and doesn't rely on excess water to provide a challenge.[/quote]

Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the heads up! I'm leaning toward RM and this probably seals the deal.

try contacting grand coral directly, if i remember correctly for 2 or more people the ride from and back to your hotel could be free

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

Vice ProPlus

• 2 weeks later...

i've found an old contact at the course, this lady helped me over a year ago to book a tee time... she is like a concierge there in grand coral

i just asked her for info, i will share it here as soon as i hear from her

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

Vice ProPlus

[quote name='Joselo' timestamp='1447962661' post='12620662']
i've found an old contact at the course, this lady helped me over a year ago to book a tee time... she is like a concierge there in grand coral

i just asked her for info, i will share it here as soon as i hear from her
[/quote]

Awesome, thank you!

this is the info i got....

NOV-ABR 2015

Prime Time 6:00 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. 175 USD
Middle Time from 11:00 to 12:50 p.m. 150 usd
Twilight after 1:00 pm 126 usd

Fee includes transportation from your hotel from 2+ players

18 holes PAR 71

ClubRentals: PING G-20 (55 usd/set)

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

Vice ProPlus

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I played the playacar / Hard Rock Cafe course multiple times. It is by far the most difficult course there compared to the others.

Tips on playing the course, if you are going to layup on the doglegs, hit your drive to the 100yard marker of the dogleg. Most often trying to cut the corners will result in a lost ball or it laying in a cenota. Most greens are wide but have no depth to them and going long is always a mistake.

Hunting Donkeys