How do you walk 18?

Zlim

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more with cubicle. I've had to debate so many of my friends concerning whether or not golf is a sport. Having people my age, and able bodied people in general for that matter, using pull carts certainly does not help the arguement. My father is in his 70s and he's carried my bag 36 holes in tournaments on hilly courses many times without every whinning for a pull cart. Maybe I look at this whole thing differently because I grew up double bagging doing two loops on a long hilly course, and also played tournament golf, where you surely would be laughed off the course for pulling a cart. I draw the line though at able bodied. If you can't haul your own bag because of a bum hip or bad back that's one thing, but it aggravates me to see a young person pull a bag because they are lazy (or need to focus their energy on making swings with non-load bearing shoulders). Unless you plan on making over 100 swings in any given round, that shouldn't be taking a toll on you. Not to call out too many people but honestly it just looks quite effeminate - like you're dragging a big purse down the fairway...or more likely the rough. All I know is if I asked my college golf coach if I could have used a pull cart for a 36 hole tournament he would have laughed, kicked me off the team, and recommended that I be expelled from the University.

Anyone who can apline trek, snow-camp, and back country ski in deep powder and difficult terrain all day should be able to carry a golf bag 18 holes. Barack Obama should also pass a law that anyone in the armed forces should carry their own bag (or take a cart if they want to relax on their time off). I mean just imaine if the enemy saw one of our soldiers pull a cart.

I couldn't agree more with cubicle. I've had to debate so many of my friends concerning whether or not golf is a sport. Having people my age, and able bodied people in general for that matter, using pull carts certainly does not help the arguement. My father is in his 70s and he's carried my bag 36 holes in tournaments on hilly courses many times without every whinning for a pull cart. Maybe I look at this whole thing differently because I grew up double bagging doing two loops on a long hilly course, and also played tournament golf, where you surely would be laughed off the course for pulling a cart. I draw the line though at able bodied. If you can't haul your own bag because of a bum hip or bad back that's one thing, but it aggravates me to see a young person pull a bag because they are lazy (or need to focus their energy on making swings with non-load bearing shoulders). Unless you plan on making over 100 swings in any given round, that shouldn't be taking a toll on you. Not to call out too many people but honestly it just looks quite effeminate - like you're dragging a big purse down the fairway...or more likely the rough. All I know is if I asked my college golf coach if I could have used a pull cart for a 36 hole tournament he would have laughed, kicked me off the team, and recommended that I be expelled from the University.

Anyone who can apline trek, snow-camp, and back country ski in deep powder and difficult terrain all day should be able to carry a golf bag 18 holes. Barack Obama should also pass a law that anyone in the armed forces should carry their own bag (or take a cart if they want to relax on their time off). I mean just imaine if the enemy saw one of our soldiers pull a cart.

I hope your joking.... I carry most of the time but to judge a person by pullcart or carry..... Who cares about what other golfers do. its not like if your playing with someone who uses a pullcart then u cant make a putt or hit the ball.

As for the Obama making law for armed forces to carry, I dont even know what to say.

All I know is if I asked my college golf coach if I could have used a pull cart for a 36 hole tournament he would have laughed, kicked me off the team, and recommended that I be expelled from the University.

Did you read all my post and mistakenly overlook where I said I walk and carry, along with using a push cart and own an electric cart? I wish people that are hell bent on their views not turn differences into macho piddle matches as if they were better then others.

Obama talks like he's got a basketball game when in fact he looks like a joke on the court. Your comment regarding a soldier pushing a cart is an insult too. I served in combat so you could have free speech, have you served?

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I don't mean too sound too callous. I respect what our armed forces do for us on a daily basis and am very aprpeciative. At the same time I hardly see it as an insult to suggest that someone in the armed forces (the strongest and best trained in the country) if able bodied, should be able to carry a golf bag. If that offends the toughest people in our country that's dissapointing. I have not served but my dad served in the Navy - and as I said he carries and he's in his 70's.

I guess next time Tiger should lug his own Tour bag around and Steve's job is to only call the distance or read the green. Come to think of it... why even need a caddy on the Tour? How whimpy! Can anyone call themselves a PGA Tour golfer and not be able to judge distance or read a green on their own? They can also save 10% when they give their caddy the boot. Pro golf tourney should be like tennis tournaments, just you, your equipment, the ball, the course and your opponents, no more, no less. Now, that is a true sport.

I am sure if this was the case at the masters, Tiger will surely win all tournaments because he is in great shape and can probably carry his own tour bag and shoot under par 4 days in a row. Guys like Kenny and Angel probably wouldn't make the cut. And Phil... guess it all depends on his diet at the time. Maybe this is a good thing so the John Daly's of this world would never make it to the pros. But come to think of it, it is great to have people like John Daly on the Tour to liven things up a bit.

Does pulling a golf cart look feminine? I drive a Porsche Turbo so does this mean I am more manly than the dude driving a VW Bug? Let's be real here folks. Who cares what it looks like pulling the cart! Does this also mean Ian Poulter cannot wear pink pants? http://simononsports.blogspot.com/2008/04/...-pants-are.html Look at the comments, apparently the chicks dig it.

I am 45 and in good shape, 3x to the gym each week and the only problem is a weak left knee. I play only 1 round per week (when i am lucky) between April and October and when weather permitting and for sure I want to make the most of it and having a tired shoulder is not my idea of a good way to shooting a low score or enjoying the walk. If I want to exercise, I go to the gym or snowboard or whatever. Golf to me is to go out, enjoy the day with friends and hope to shoot a good round and if it means a cart, a pull cart, a caddy, so be it. If you look at golf as exercise, well, all the more power to ya. I mean seriously, if you get stuck on a slow day and play a 5 hour round, even carrying your bag, do you break a sweat? Half of the time you are just standing there waiting. What kind of exercise is that?! Or do you have a rule that you are not allowed to put your bag down while waiting for the group in front come off the green...

By the way, how can you let your old man carry your bag for you! You should carry your own so next time you are in a tournament you can show the others what a true Man's Man you really are!

I don't mean too sound too callous. I respect what our armed forces do for us on a daily basis and am very aprpeciative. At the same time I hardly see it as an insult to suggest that someone in the armed forces (the strongest and best trained in the country) if able bodied, should be able to carry a golf bag. If that offends the toughest people in our country that's dissapointing. I have not served but my dad served in the Navy - and as I said he carries and he's in his 70's.

Oh man, you like to dig pot bunkers don't ya? Is like '300' your favorite movie? Guess you are fit for society otherwise you would've been tossed over the cliff when you were born. People like Stephen Hawking then should never exist... or did I miss your point?

You're right - next time I'll deny my dad the enjoyment of watching/participating as his son plays a tournament.

Carry/Caddy - Integrity

Pull cart - unecessary damage to course, girly (no matter how you try to justify it)

and I'm out gentlemen

So, you are saying your dad can only see you in a match if he's lugging your bag around??? Funny stuff dude! Like he is not able to just show up and walk a few paces behind you for the 18... without the bag??? Man's what's your day job? Moose hunter? I used to know a guy who went boar hunting with a shield and spear, because he thought it was a challenge. He bagged a big sow. Then the next time he went with a Rambo knife and nothing else and bagged a mid sized wild boar. Now, that is cool ... but somehow... i don't think that was you... because he just went and did it and never looked down on anyone else for how they did things. Surly he can say, going wild boar hunting with a gun is just too... feminine, like dragging a cart around.... no?

I only scanned the last several replies here--looks like it was getting a little testy...and off topic

Anyway, back to question at hand: I generally like to pull or (sometimes) carry, but at this stage of the game--with age & back considerations, that is--when the weather gets too hot here in the Midwest, I'll ride. Sometimes discretion really is the better part of valor.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

My father was a navy man and almost didn't come home during WWII. My cousin, a SF Sgt did NOT come home yet he rode in a cart and could trek through mtns taking fire for weeks on end. Guess who my hero is... and who influenced my volunteering.

I am sorry but whether or not someone carries a golf bag is not the measure of a military man. The measure is his willingness to put himself in harms way to protect our way of life; its just that simple, and nothing else compares. And as much as I can appreciate your admiration for your 70 year father carrying your bag he is not the measure of all military men either; and I can't believe he'd support your contention.

Regardless, whether you agree or not, it's an insult when someone suggests that riding in a cart or using a push cart means more then their willingness to put themselves in harms way for a greater purpose. But, I guess someone that hasn't done that hasn't a clue what it takes to lay in the jungle for four days taking fire and watching people die, willingly accepting they might not get home; all so Americans stateside can enjoy a certain lifestyle. I'd do it all again if needed or called. I am glad your proud of your dad.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My Sun Mountain Spead cart is about 4 years old. I walk about 60% of the time which equals about 60 walking rounds per year. It was well worth the price.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Given that I am a staunch conservative and supporter of the war on terror and our troops, its tough for me to respond to your post, but I will anyways. Im not entitled to my opinion? I am a nobody? You should get a clue. Being in the military I would think you would understand where I am coming from with the tradition and integrity angle, guess not. Everyone is hung up on the manly comment. Nope, Im not the guy you are referring to, im the guy who carries his bag and wouldn't dream of doing otherwise. Given the results of the survey, there has to be some people on here who agree with me? Anybody? Anyone who carries a bag is by nature anti-pull cart. The more I see disdain from other posters, I guess it was how I was brought up. Maybe its a Northeast thing. Literally any serious golfer I play with in Massachusetts feels the same way I do. Nobody confronts people with pullcarts and rips them a new one, its just an unspoken thing.

And I'm not entitled to my opinion? Amazing how you suddenly become so defensive when someone doesn't agree with your opinion. I will apologize for the nobody comment--that wasn't fair since I'm a nobody as most all of us on this site are. So sorry for that--it was unnecessary.

Let's see tradition and integrity: Of course I honor the traditions and integrity of the military. But I'm not going to fly a P-51 or wear the same uniform worn back in WWII. You're using a stand bag and probably the latest golf clubs. You talk about tradition--using those clubs doesn't sound like tradition to me.

What's your definition of integrity? For me it's doing what's right nobody is looking. That means playing by the rules, shaking hands with your partners after a round, repairing divots, etc. Pushing or carrying to me is irrelevant.

Everyone is hung up on the manly comment because you made it. I'm sure there are people who agree, but they're not going to say it. I only brought up the military angle because you said it wasn't manly and I was suggesting there are plenty of us who push a cart. I started out carrying a bag and I still do if it's a late round after work, but realized I enjoyed myself a lot more when I pushed my bag around the course. And isn't that what it's all about?

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I'd love to carry, but my back nixed that idea years ago. I push a Click Gear 2.0. The engineer in me fell for the folding design. I have a ratty old bag and sometimes my clubs get tangled. Any recommendations for a new cart bag?

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Driver
Ping G25 4-Wood
Ping G25 20*,23*, 27* Hybrids
Ping G25 6-U Irons
Ping iWedge 56 & 60
Ping Karsten TR Anser 2

I'd love to carry, but my back nixed that idea years ago. I push a Click Gear 2.0. The engineer in me fell for the folding design. I have a ratty old bag and sometimes my clubs get tangled. Any recommendations for a new cart bag?

Ogio with the full length dividers (uniter) or sun mountian make good bags...and maybe one from the company that made your clubs?

but those are good choices as well.

I'm going to experiment with walking 18 (carry) and get a Swift X or 3.5 from sunountain and carry 11 clubs 6 balls a couple tees and a glove.

Driver

3w

4h 22*

6-pw

putter

should be about 15-17 pounds all together

Sling em on me back and walk.....every round !

I don't like 'cart golf' walking is the best way around a golf course (unless your on a lads tour and it's been a heavy all nighter with no sleep)

You can easily get a full set into a Titleist pencil bag, with space for a few balls, a drink and your car keys.... it weighs nothing !!

http://www.titleist.co.uk/accessories/carr...s/carry_bag.asp x90 bag (and they come in other colours thankfully !)

It seems that you guys got carried away with the subject. It degenerated into another argument on who's got the biggest d*ck. Why dragging the armed forces into this? These are bloody carts! Anyway, here in Europe, most of the people have pull/push carts and nobody's really concerned whether they look girly or what. The older (and more fortunate) players have these electric trolleys, it's all the rage these days. I both carry and pull, but I prefer to pull that way I can take my Bennington Quiet Organizer. Gee, if I could I would buy one of these electric trolleys... I would name it Steve and order it around (sort of). Sweet!

Joke apart, it puts you in conditions close to a pro player with a caddy, with only your focus on the game. :D

When I started playing regularly again, about three years ago, I started with a dual strap stand bag. Certainly, it's the most convenient - you can walk across the green with your clubs on your back and so forth. However, even though I had a light setup, my neck and shoulders started to bother me after about a month.

So, I got a push cart, only to find that on my very, very hilly course it worked me to death. So, for the last 2 1/2 years I've used a very lightweight and sturdy Bag Boy pull cart with a large, padded handle. I alternate pulling arms so that I don't strain either arm.

Needless to say, all the macho garbage about using a cart not being manly or proper is just that - garbage - so stuff it.

I suppose you could take it a silly level further and argue that stand bags with dual straps aren't proper either - we should be using canvas and leather single straps bags - yeah, that's the ticket - and hickory shafts and gutta perchas - yeah!

It's about integrity, honor of the game, tradition, getting your hands dirty, etc.

Oh my gosh, I hadn't even noticed this gem when I posted earlier. Oh my - words fail. Talk about dorky...

By the way, your Dad is 53 and you are going to hold forth on how to properly kick it old school? Give me a freakin' break.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to start a debate, and I'm not wondering if it was un-manly to use a cart but I was just wondering whether people usually walked or carted it. Thats it!

but its snowing here so I can't do my experiement until next saturday:( oh well

I haven't got the lightweight bag yet so I'll be hauling my 7.5lbs MPB around and then maybe switch it up on the turn maybe take out a couple of the 15 clubs I usually practice/play with

It's about integrity, honor of the game, tradition, getting your hands dirty, etc.

Oh my gosh, I hadn't even noticed this gem when I posted earlier. Oh my - words fail. Talk about dorky...

By the way, your Dad is 53 and you are going to hold forth on how to properly kick it old school? Give me a freakin' break.

Great isn't it?

Great isn't it?

Oh my goodness gracious?!? What a gem it was! Golly, I guess you got me there.