2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Any other hikers, backpackers, campers out there?

One_Putt_Blunder

Now that the weather has been cooling down I have really been getting into hiking here in AZ as a way to get back in better shape. I'm fortunate that I live 1.5 miles from the trail heads to one of the bigger preserves in the Phoenix area with a lot of trail options. I have found that getting outdoors away from the hustle and bustle of life has been quite rewarding and the desert offers up some spectacular beauty in its own way. However I love seeing what is out there in the rest of the US/World and if you guys have any cool trails and pics from your hikes post them up. We do try to travel a fair amount and the wife and I usually try to pick out some decent trails when we go on the road.

For those that have seen the WM Open on TV the mountain range in the background of TPC is the area I am talking about

Link to trail maps http://www.mcdowells...-guided-hiking/

To get things started here is a few from my different hikes.

8 mile loop up north of us in Cave Creek AZ

DJ4BFhYVoAACDXY.jpg

DJ4BKY-VwAAfieU.jpg

The preserve/range behind my place

DIcPjb5UQAEWZli.jpg

Sunsets hikes are pretty spectacular as well.

CwN85j0VYAAFptB.jpg

DKS67OjVoAASeUL.jpg

The big rock sticking up is Tom's Thumb aprox 3996 feet house is 1600 feet, currently building up to that out and back walk pushing 20 miles round trip with a lot of climbing

DMrJdKMUEAEpfxy.jpg

On the south side some cool quartz deposits, on the east side over the pass there are a couple old mines as well.

DMHFqR1UMAYKMMg.jpg

Had some high winds in the western part of the state blow in a ton of dust to the valley making visibility awful, normally this view from the pass would be spectacular.

DMrlZATU8AAygI1.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Air quality a little better this morning but still mid 80's temp wise 10 miles today. Started by the little half dome tent thing that kinda looks like an airplane hangar

DNUiYt8V4AAcmPJ.jpg

DNUiaXyUIAAackM.jpg

DNUicFyUMAAiI1i.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Hiking is a little different here naturally as it takes place in the woods a bit more. But i dabble.....a recent one

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

We used to do some hiking around Horse Tooth reservoir in Fort Collins, CO ( you might be familiar with it) but haven't for a few years. Was closed after a fire a few years ago. We did tackle a 14'er a few years back. While the views were nice, once was enough for me.

Outstanding Went to college at Wyo so very familiar with the area. The rockies are outstanding and beautiful but the altitude kills me know at least trying to hike fresh off the road or plane. Planning on heading back that way in the next year or two to visit my wife's Uncle down in Colorado Springs. Growing up did a ton of long distance backpacking in the Sierras of California. Forgot how much I love the high country in Summer.

Hiking is a little different here naturally as it takes place in the woods a bit more. But i dabble.....a recent one

Ahh greenery sometimes I forget what that is like lol. We have some high desert forests a couple hours drive away, heading up that way in April. Sometimes I forget AZ is not all sand and rock. Tons of different terrain available to us here

Not having a car anymore and our gym closed down so this has been the best way for me to get cardio in and build up some endurance and leg strength to help the muscles around my replaced hips. Noticed a huge difference relatively quickly and it beats the heck out of the treadmill.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

We used to do some hiking around Horse Tooth reservoir in Fort Collins, CO ( you might be familiar with it) but haven't for a few years. Was closed after a fire a few years ago. We did tackle a 14'er a few years back. While the views were nice, once was enough for me.

Outstanding Went to college at Wyo so very familiar with the area. The rockies are outstanding and beautiful but the altitude kills me know at least trying to hike fresh off the road or plane. Planning on heading back that way in the next year or two to visit my wife's Uncle down in Colorado Springs. Growing up did a ton of long distance backpacking in the Sierras of California. Forgot how much I love the high country in Summer.

Ahh greenery sometimes I forget what that is like lol. We have some high desert forests a couple hours drive away, heading up that way in April. Sometimes I forget AZ is not all sand and rock. Tons of different terrain available to us here

Not having a car anymore and our gym closed down so this has been the best way for me to get cardio in and build up some endurance and leg strength to help the muscles around my replaced hips. Noticed a huge difference relatively quickly and it beats the heck out of the treadmill.

I knew you went to Univ of Wyoming so I thought you might be familiar with that area. Lorry State Park, I couldn't remember the name.

Plan for Sunday, get dropped off a the trail head in the morning and walk home. Hits Sunrise peak aprox 3060 feet trail head is 1900 feet so at least I knock out the climbing all in the first mile and a half. From there fairly easy walk back home with only a little climbing Closer to 12-13 miles once I get all the way home(cut my address out of the image.)

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Stunning

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I knew you went to Univ of Wyoming so I thought you might be familiar with that area. Lorry State Park, I couldn't remember the name.

Ahh man now I am deep in the rabbit hole of 14er's. Eventually when we get up to the springs to visit the wifes family. MT Sherman looks like a good starter ~5 miles just over 14k closeish to the Colorado Springs

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Ahh man now I am deep in the rabbit hole of 14er's. Eventually when we get up to the springs to visit the wifes family. MT Sherman looks like a good starter ~5 miles just over 14k closeish to the Colorado Springs

We did one of the “easier” ones. Gray’s Peak. It was still plenty enough for this old(ish) guy.

Yesterday

Climbing up Sunrise Peak looking out to the Superstition Mountains which are home to the legend of the Lost Dutchman. Believe you can see Weavers Needle sticking up way out there.

DN4OyEtVQAEH-bi.jpg

Overlooking Scottsdale and into Downtown PHX in the background

DN4U6qzUIAEbnvK.jpg

View East over Fountain Hills. Sunridge Caynon GC below and Wekopa out in the distance beyond the fountain

DN5tueKUIAAfLDf.jpg

DN5tvUTVQAART8i.jpg

DN5twoCUQAAjGzu.jpg

Looking over the route home to the North West. Headed to the half dome thing way out just right of the canal

DN4aeGXUEAActWd.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Breathtaking! (and not Dr. Pfeffer "breathtaking")

I'm interested in doing some hiking. Never was into it but the wife doesn't have time for the gym so, to make sure she gets some exercise, we have been doing some "powerwalking" in good old Prospect Park, Brooklyn. We do about 4 miles at a nice clip and there are tons of hills and steps to give the walk some punch. And the nature has this fantastic calming effect.

I didn't take these but you'd be surprised how, in the heart of a borough with 2.5MM people, you can walk in relative peace and see some great nature.

image.jpg

10230.jpg

DSC01076.JPG

But, I'd really like to check into doing a vaca where we can do some serious hiking in a really breathtaking setting

I dont have a car and the only gym within walking distance to my place is really expensive and crowded so this is my way to get cardio in and do some strength/conditioning at home. Plus it beats the heck out of walking nowhere on a treadmill listening to the powerlifters grunt etc

Check out Alltrails a really solid reference a resource to find some cool trails. Elevation maps showing elevation gain and user uploaded pics and reviews give you an idea of what your getting into. Probably be surprised at what is around you.

https://www.alltrails.com/

Speaking of Vacation hikes One from North Shore Oahu last year. Above Pipeline and Sunset Beaches there are a couple old WWII era machine gun nests

DIX7WYbUIAA_aZQ.jpg

Other side of the island same thing a couple pill boxes up on the hill over Lanikai Beach

Cu_jPiEUIAEzC-z.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Oh yeah really have gotten into primitive camping as well. I'm fortunate to have the beautiful Daniel Boone National Forest about an hour and a half from me. I'll have to upload some of my favorite pics I took from this past summer. Went 4 times. Each on different trail lengths and difficulties. Go for about a weekend. Those pics of Glacier National Park look insane! I really would love to make it out west and try that type of camping. Last hike I did was Indian Staircase in the Clifty Wilderness, KY. I'll upload some pics when I get on my wrx app.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

i have hiked the Appalachian Trail from mid-Virginia up to Pennsylvania. done a bunch of other weekend trips. i got into super lightweight/ultralight hiking as well for a bit, we were cranking out 25-30+ miles a day on some of our hikes which i really enjoyed that physical aspect/challenge of hiking. i have since moved to north carolina and have only been on a few day hikes, id like to get out to smokies.

i have hiked the Appalachian Trail from mid-Virginia up to Pennsylvania. done a bunch of other weekend trips. i got into super lightweight/ultralight hiking as well for a bit, we were cranking out 25-30+ miles a day on some of our hikes which i really enjoyed that physical aspect/challenge of hiking. i have since moved to north carolina and have only been on a few day hikes, id like to get out to smokies.

I used to be what I thought was pretty hardcore, but after looking at some of these western hikers I was a softy. I have done all of the AT from MD up through Mass, except for the flat crap around Harrisburg PA. Also did a lot of Catskills. On a good stretch without too many challenging verticals we could cover 25 mi per day, and stay out for 5 nights. Man, there is nothing like backpacking to make food and water (and a little bourbon) taste so good.

I just found out that a coworker is also an ex-hiker, so I'm going to get me a pack (external all the way) and some boots, and get back into it before I get too old...

Funny how we take things for granted sometimes. The longest we did when i was 14-15 was 100 miles or so in the Sierra Nevadas somewhere between Yosemite and Tahoe. I'd have to look at the map and figure out where. Also spent a few summers in Yosemite covered half dome the falls etc. At the time I hated it cause i wasn't hanging out with friends etc etc. Looking back I wish I remembered more and I should have been more appreciative of those opportunities to witness some incredible parts of our country including Rocky mountain natl park the mountains around Saratoga Wyoming. So many great places visited growing up on the west coast.

Now with work and injuries to both me (double hip replacement) wife(2x ankle reconstruction) I'm not sure getting too far off the beaten path is in our best interest. Although i guess we could always buy one of those gps rescue devices.

Wife who is a better hiker than me and is responsible for getting me back into it did agree to at least start some high altitude training in Flagstaff AZ then make a go off the Barr Trail up Pikes Peak in 2019 since we've already got 2018 vacations planned out. 13 miles up over 7500 feet of elevation gain. If she enjoys the overnight camping part of that might start getting back into some longer actual backpacking.

I've enjoyed reading about the AT and some of the personal stories of people completing it for their various reasons.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Funny how we take things for granted sometimes. The longest we did when i was 14-15 was 100 miles or so in the Sierra Nevadas somewhere between Yosemite and Tahoe. I'd have to look at the map and figure out where. Also spent a few summers in Yosemite covered half dome the falls etc. At the time I hated it cause i wasn't hanging out with friends etc etc. Looking back I wish I remembered more and I should have been more appreciative of those opportunities to witness some incredible parts of our country including Rocky mountain natl park the mountains around Saratoga Wyoming. So many great places visited growing up on the west coast.

Now with work and injuries to both me (double hip replacement) wife(2x ankle reconstruction) I'm not sure getting too far off the beaten path is in our best interest. Although i guess we could always buy one of those gps rescue devices.

Wife who is a better hiker than me and is responsible for getting me back into it did agree to at least start some high altitude training in Flagstaff AZ then make a go off the Barr Trail up Pikes Peak in 2019 since we've already got 2018 vacations planned out. 13 miles up over 7500 feet of elevation gain. If she enjoys the overnight camping part of that might start getting back into some longer actual backpacking.

I've enjoyed reading about the AT and some of the personal stories of people completing it for their various reasons.

I lived in the east bay for about 5 years but didn't know anyone to go backpacking with. You go up into the sierras alone and break your ankle and you could be worm food in a few days. So for 5 yrs I went up into the mountains every other weekend and just camped out of my pickup with my dog and my guitar and Ruger 10/22, eating freshly caught trout for dinner. Absolutely stunning country. Great memories.

Hardcore! Great stuff.

Think Im catchin the hikin bug.

You guys bring sandwiches?

Let's go bsc! Nothing like waking up after breathing fresh mountain air all night and then brewing some fresh coffee...I actually traditionally used to bring a hoagie for my first day dinner and then switch over to backpacking meals - dried/dehydrated stuff.

Hardcore! Great stuff.

Think Im catchin the hikin bug.

You guys bring sandwiches?

My current daypack is a camelbak cloudwalker18 with a 2.5L bladder soon to be 3L as the 2.5 only gets me about ten miles. In the time being I also carry 2 20oz frozen vitamin waters in the side pockets as reserve.(water in AZ is extra critical) in my pack have a first aid kit with sam splint just in case i tweak an ankle badly or worse and need to get myself to cell range. Food wise on day hikes 1-2 quest protein bars and an emergency bag of beef jerky. Fully loaded with water about 12 lbs and room for a lot more. Once winter hits plenty of room to bring layers with me etc.

Eventually will add a better equipped and lighter first aid kit, bear spray(mountain lions) a decent knife and possibly some trekking poles for big climbs.

Overkill yes but a couple pounds of gear that you may not need will be damn handy in the event you do or run across someone who needs help.

In reality for shortish day hiking a good water system and room for some protein bars is all you really need. Personally i hate hand carrying water bottles. Much prefer to walk with a camelbak. They have a lot of options size wise to fit all needs. Osprey makes a bunch too.

Get good shoes. If you're going to be doing a lot of trail stuff check out trail runners. Lots of options Adidas Terrex swift R(mine) Salomon, La Sportiva, Merrell, north face, etc. Perfect combos of hiking/running shoes. Most available in gore tex to keep feet dry.

Two other tips. If you get a pak go to a store and try them on. Tons of cheap knockoffs on Amazon some with very uncomfortable straps, leaky bladders or mouthpieces.

Join REI costs $20 for lifetime membership you get about 10% back on almost all purchases from them in the form of an annual divided. Generally great staff and competitive prices. Forgot i had one went in last week to try on shoes and pick up some electrolyte mix. They found my membership from way back in the day had a $17 credit just sitting there for years lol

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Here is a few from Indian Staircase Trail in the Cifty Wilderness of the Daniel Boone National Forest, KY! I have better pics than these but the file sizes are too large :/

Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]

Here is the actual Indian Staircase on the right of this formation. It was one of the tougher scrambles I think I've ever done. After arriving at the top you circle around. The trail dips into a natural arch/cave that was about 20 degrees cooler inside. We camped up on the ridge and my first picture is the view we had on the backside of the Indian staircase valley.

Was remembering something from a while back and forgot I had these. Grandparents had a little cabin up in the Sierra's near Dodge Ridge Ski resort and Pinecrest lake. Went up for Thanksgiving to celebrate grandmas life and have a family thanksgiving took a hike around grandpa's favorite lake.

Pinecrest lake trails covered in snow.

CVB5YYtU8AAl7Kd.jpg

This one is for the folks that think AZ is always warm New Years Morning 2015. If this happens again I'm calling in sick and grabbing my shoes/cold weather gear and going up to the top. 100% chance wifey calls me crazy and stays home.

CXiOdxNUwAAx426.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120