Vokey M vs L Grinds

Potch

Recently purchased my first set of Vokey wedges after agonizing over which grinds to get for a while. Ended up going 50.08F, 54.10S, and 58.08 M. It's the last one that I'm still not sure about.

Quick background - decent player (3 handicap), more of a sweeper than a digger, open up the face quite a bit for bunker shots, probably 50/50 open/square for shots around the green. Home course has pretty tight fairways. I'm coming from a Cobra Tour Trusty 60.06 that worked great for me but had 3 or 4 seasons on it and I figured it was time to move on. It's early, but I'm just not as comfortable with the M grind as I was with my Cobra. Maybe it's all in my head, but it feels like the leading edge is sitting higher off the ground both square and open than my Cobra and hence I've bladed a few pitches. To compensate I've gone down a little more after the ball, but taking divots on those shots really isn't my game. Out of the trap it's been great, but then so has my 54S. No issues with full swings either.

I went with the M for the perceived versatility over the L, but now think maybe it was the wrong choice. If the 54S is fine from the bunkers, maybe I would be more comfortable with the L for the other shots around the green. Looking for some input - is the L that much better than the M for those shots, of am I really overthinking it? Does the leading edge sit appreciably lower in the L? Should I grind it out (pun intended) with the M for a while longer? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 48.10F, 54.10S (bent 53*), 60.04T, DG S200
Titleist Vokey WedgeWorks Low Bounce K Raw 58.06, DG S200
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

I have the 60L and don't like it all. Way too much actual bounce on the leading edge. Doesn't sit anywhere near as low to the ground as my Eye2 L wedge.

This whole 'effective' bounce thing can be very misleading. An effective bounce of 6 degrees may have an actual bounce of 20 degrees up front but the trailing edge relief makes it 'effectively' 6 degrees. An effective bounce of 12 degrees may have an actual bounce of only 13 degrees up front but the wide sole and very little trailing edge relief makes it 'effectively' 12 degrees.

Anyways I've decided I'm going back to the Eye2 L wedge.

I have the same wedge set-up but with the L grid in the 58*.

IMO, the leading edge definitely sits lower in the L than the M. I play almost all my shots around the green with my 58* and love to open it up. The L is perfect for tight fairways and I have no issue with it in the rough either. I'm a sweeper too and take very shallow divots. However, I play my 54* S grind for almost all my bunker shots. For me, the L was digging in the bunkers (especially with fluffy sand) and my 54* is a much better choice.

If the M grind doesn't fit your eye, I would say to move on. Its not worth trying to change your approach around the greens.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo Belly No Belly

There's not much difference between the 2. The sole is a bit wider on the SM6 M grind than in previous models.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

I went from a 58L to the 58M specifically for bunker play around the green, The L grind just dug to much in the bunker, I also could not flop the L grind for some reason, could have been mental, could have been the club. The M grind I have no problems now with my flop shots again. I can throw it up in the air off a tight lie or out of the rough.

I could be mistaken but the M grind provides relief on the sole's heel and toe. To make that effective, you have to play the face open for the heel or closed for the toe. I don't like the toed in shots so I left that off when I copied the grind on an older vokey, before they had all the different retial grinds. Maybe you should try playing the face open to get the reduced bounce. If that doesn't work you might have to move on.

I feel the same way as the OP and have the same golfer profile. The leading edge of the M and L grinds does seems to sit higher than other wedges of the same bounce designation. That being said, it seems as though the lions share of tour guys seem to play either the L or M grind in their LW so it can't be inhibiting. I just purchased an L grind to try over my M as I play in firm conditions in AZ.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

If you don't like bounce and want it low .. vokey 62 T .. incredible club

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

OP here - thanks to everybody for their input, very insightful. Over the weekend I grabbed a 58.04L - figured it was worth the experiment to see if it fits my game better than the M grind. Results to be determined, although I admit I have been tempted to just stick all of my old wedges back in the bag. If it ain't broke...

Recently purchased my first set of Vokey wedges after agonizing over which grinds to get for a while. Ended up going 50.08F, 54.10S, and 58.08 M. It's the last one that I'm still not sure about.

Quick background - decent player (3 handicap), more of a sweeper than a digger, open up the face quite a bit for bunker shots, probably 50/50 open/square for shots around the green. Home course has pretty tight fairways. I'm coming from a Cobra Tour Trusty 60.06 that worked great for me but had 3 or 4 seasons on it and I figured it was time to move on. It's early, but I'm just not as comfortable with the M grind as I was with my Cobra. Maybe it's all in my head, but it feels like the leading edge is sitting higher off the ground both square and open than my Cobra and hence I've bladed a few pitches. To compensate I've gone down a little more after the ball, but taking divots on those shots really isn't my game. Out of the trap it's been great, but then so has my 54S. No issues with full swings either.

I went with the M for the perceived versatility over the L, but now think maybe it was the wrong choice. If the 54S is fine from the bunkers, maybe I would be more comfortable with the L for the other shots around the green. Looking for some input - is the L that much better than the M for those shots, of am I really overthinking it? Does the leading edge sit appreciably lower in the L? Should I grind it out (pun intended) with the M for a while longer? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all!

On the SM6 line, the L has 16 degrees of measured bounce when it sits in a square position, meaning the leading edge sits way off the ground. The effective bounce of 4 degrees (the stated bounce on the wedge) is when you put it into a different playing position and can take advantage of the heel and trailing edge relief. So, if you're looking for something where the leading edge sits lower, the L is probably not it.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

On the SM6 line, the L has 16 degrees of measured bounce when it sits in a square position, meaning the leading edge sits way off the ground. The effective bounce of 4 degrees (the stated bounce on the wedge) is when you put it into a different playing position and can take advantage of the heel and trailing edge relief. So, if you're looking for something where the leading edge sits lower, the L is probably not it.

Do you have the same information for the M grind?

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5

Yikes. Considering how many square shots I play with my lob wedge, maybe the L grind is not what I'm looking for. Which grind would have the lowest measured bounce from a square position?

Yikes. Considering how many square shots I play with my lob wedge, maybe the L grind is not what I'm looking for. Which grind would have the lowest measured bounce from a square position?

I can't remember where I saw this info, but it was from a Titleist source. The L has one of the highest measured bounces when square, but the effective bounce is low. Personally, I struggled with the L for this exact reason. I eventually tried the S late this season, which has a higher effective bounce but the leading edge seems to sit lower when square. Ultimately, I ended up buying one of the AD sixty limited wedges from Wedge Works since that was an L grind modified to have the leading edge sit much closer to the turf. It's a specialty grind, for sure, but it's a noticeable change from the retail L.

I'm also testing out the TM milled grind options to see what will work. So far, their comparable grind model (the LB-09) seems to be better for me than either of the Vokey M or L grinds.

Do you have the same information for the M grind?

I do not. Sorry.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I had the exact same issue with the m grind 60. I was thinking of looking for and l grind this off season. Thanks for the info!

FYI,I picked up an MD2 Tour 60 and it slides right under the ball. Perfect grind to reduce that bouncing/bladed shot for me.

Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport

... Another option and one a lot of the Titleist staffers use is to get a higher loft head (ie 60* m grind) and bend it to 58. That way you still get the same benefits of the "M" grind but when you bend it, the leading edge moves lower. Just a thought, but that way you would still be able to use it in the bunkers and have a bit more forgiveness from the added bounce vs L grind.

Just tried a Bridgestone J15 58 wedge last night and it might be exactly what the OP is looking for, super tight leading edge followed by a wider chambered sole that is phenomenal out of the bunker. It is probably the easiest wedge to flop I have ever used. Be aware that they are .5 longer in playing length than most wedges.

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5

Just tried a Bridgestone J15 58 wedge last night and it might be exactly what the OP is looking for, super tight leading edge followed by a wider chambered sole that is phenomenal out of the bunker. It is probably the easiest wedge to flop I have ever used. Be aware that they are .5 longer in playing length than most wedges.

Thanks! Will have to check one out

Wouldn't having a 16* bounce sort of nullify the "L grind dug too much in the sand for me" comments earlier in this thread?

It seems like this club is made for people who need help in the sand with a square face but can minimize the bounce for flop shots. Correct?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

• 2 weeks later...

OP here... thanks again to everybody for their input. Based on what I learned in this thread I decided to go a different direction and ordered a low-bounce K-grind from Wedgeworks. It's a 60.06 bent to 59.05. I think (hope!) this is a much better fit for my game. Won't get to test it on the course until the end of January, but I'll update once I do.

• 3 months later...

How is the new wedge working out?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I had a SM6 L 60 4 degree for about a week and sold it for the exact reasons you have stated. I made a little jig in my basement that held the club in playing positions and looked at the bounce at eye level. I was very surprised by the bounce when square. My previous wedges (that I had for maybe a decade) were Cleveland. I had a 4 degree 60 that you scrape coins off the pavement with.

Nothing wrong with the L, but I have a M that can do the same or more for the way I position over the ball.

I'm still searching for a back-up 60 for when I play courses with dry conditions or hard sand (basically any conditions where my trusty K grind 60 won't perform as well in).

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

How is the new wedge working out?

Heading home today from a week in Florida, first time I really got to test out the new wedge. Initial impressions are pretty positive - off tight lies with a square face it sets up and performs exactly how I want, both on partial and full swings. Great out of the bunker as well with the wider sole. What I'm still trying to figure out is if/how I open up the face around the green. Out of the rough no problem, but still not confident opening it up off of tight lies, at least to the same extent I used to with my old Tour Trusty. That said, that shot has never been a big part of my game anyway. In summary, happy so far!