2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Is skiing too dangerous for serious elite junior golfers?

CTgolf

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let him have an enjoyable life, don't turn him into a singularly focused protege. Keep skiing there's more to life than golf and that applies to all of us, even the professionals amongst our ranks.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Let him have an enjoyable life, don't turn him into a singularly focused protege. Keep skiing there's more to life than golf and that applies to all of us, even the professionals amongst our ranks.

Maybe I should have asked a different question: are there activities your kids enjoy but you now avoid in order to prevent injury (for golf or life in general)?

Seems like Rory regrets getting injured playing soccer and missing the 2015 Open Championship.

The head rackets pro at our club specifically avoids skiing (despite competing in it as a youth) as he says it is very bad risk/reward for his livelihood.

Cycling seems like another activity where, given enough iterations, there is almost certainty that one will get into a serious, potentially life-threatening, accident.

From experience, if he's serious about golf and legit elite talent...just focus on golf. I tried surfing once in college with some friends of mine loved it, but scrapped up my knee awfully bad (trainers made me sit a week, bone bruise and swelling). For me it wasn't worth it, BUT there's plenty of PGA pros that ski religiously (no pun intended) The Cranes and Johnson's take an annual trip together along with who ever else wants to go. So choice is yours, but it wasn't right for me.

I worked for 8 years as a pro ski patroller, ski guide, and avalanche forecaster in Colorado. I can tell you from experience, having seen hundreds of injuries from altitude sickness to minor orthopedic injuries all the way to multi-systems traumatic fatalities ..... the kids get hurt far less often then the adults do. It's probably safest to let your kid ski while you watch from the lodge.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 10.5* Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 15* Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 21* Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

Srixon ZX Utility 23* Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX Hybrid 25* Evenflow Riptide 80 6.0

Srixon ZX7 6-P Modus 120s

Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52*,56*,60* Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. Golf B.2 LAGP TPZ ONE35

Srixon Z-Star

Keep him in a plastic bubble, that way he will be able to take care of you when he turns pro...

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

I'd guess I've skied and biked about as many hours as anyone you'd ever meet and never suffered a serious injury. Motocross, boxing, and football are probably the only 3 sports I'd avoid more due to longevity than golf.

Can't imagine skipping a ski trip because I was worried about playing golf. Talk about making a kid resent golf.

If the one poster is right (that he's 9) and you're worried about an injury hurting his chances at what? It's not like he's 1 month away from getting a full ride at Stanford. Go skiing and let him have some fun. Unless he pulls a Sonny Bono, all will be fine.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Some interesting responses

We have seen some major injuries (broken or dislocated limbs, sprained joints) that took kids out for an entire season or longer, and in some cases they could not catch up to their peers after falling behind

That would be a tremendous loss if the goal is to maximize a child’s potential in a sport - and at a crucial age during the narrow window of skill development (9-12yo) no less.

The likelihood of such an event happening is not extremely high, but if it were to occur the outcome so negative that I believe it might be worth considering vacationing elsewhere (maybe even somewhere warm playing golf!) instead of rolling the dice on the slopes - particularly in the northeast, where conditions are icier. So a better way of thinking about the decision would be how much more fun would a ski trip be vs some other type of vacation or activity, and is the incremental enjoyment worth the risk.

The expected value of an event with a small probability but with very large consequence is not something to be ignored IMHO.

I'd guess I've skied and biked about as many hours as anyone you'd ever meet and never suffered a serious injury. Motocross, boxing, and football are probably the only 3 sports I'd avoid more due to longevity than golf.

Can't imagine skipping a ski trip because I was worried about playing golf. Talk about making a kid resent golf.

And hockey lol, you can’t play hockey(properly) without getting injured in some way.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Plenty of the top players I teach didn’t touch a club until they were 12 or older. The “skills” you’re talking about learning 9-12 aren’t golf specific. They are simply being an athlete. You’re thinking about it only in golf terms, those “skills” are learned throwing a ball, running, playing tag, climbing fences, the stuff kids do being kids when not playing video games.

i did things way more dangerous than skiing ( but also including skiing and snowboarding) my entire childhood and had several injuries, none of which held me back in golf.

Guy where I work has two nephews that his brother has been grooming to be MLB players (pitchers) since they were playing little league. Both have received extensive training and coaching since that time and played on traveling club teams. Both were good and wound up getting scholarships but neither kid was interested in learning, just playing ball. Their father put all their eggs in one basket and promoted this way of thinking. Fast forward to today and both seem to be out of the game now. I had been following their progress out of curiousity but the trail of minor league info has stopped. The older boy had an offer that totaled a little over $1M for a minor league contract too, which he turned down because he thought it "too limiting". Dumb move there. That would have at least given him something to live on for a while.

Moral of the story: let kids be kids. Nothing worse than an overbearing parent steering the "career" of a kid from a young age.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Some interesting responses

We have seen some major injuries (broken or dislocated limbs, sprained joints) that took kids out for an entire season or longer, and in some cases they could not catch up to their peers after falling behind

That would be a tremendous loss if the goal is to maximize a child's potential in a sport - and at a crucial age during the narrow window of skill development (9-12yo) no less.

The likelihood of such an event happening is not extremely high, but if it were to occur the outcome so negative that I believe it might be worth considering vacationing elsewhere (maybe even somewhere warm playing golf!) instead of rolling the dice on the slopes - particularly in the northeast, where conditions are icier. So a better way of thinking about the decision would be how much more fun would a ski trip be vs some other type of vacation or activity, and is the incremental enjoyment worth the risk.

The expected value of an event with a small probability but with very large consequence is not something to be ignored IMHO.

Make sure he doesn't wear socks in your house if you have hardwood floors. Could slip and fall, miss the masters and never achieve #1 in the OWGR.

This is a perfect example of a straw man fallacy

Internet trolls are experts at it

Plenty of the top players I teach didn’t touch a club until they were 12 or older. The “skills” you’re talking about learning 9-12 aren’t golf specific. They are simply being an athlete. You’re thinking about it only in golf terms, those “skills” are learned throwing a ball, running, playing tag, climbing fences, the stuff kids do being kids when not playing video games.

i did things way more dangerous than skiing ( but also including skiing and snowboarding) my entire childhood and had several injuries, none of which held me back in golf.

You are 100% correct

The skills you mentioned above - how many can you do with a broken leg or torn knee?

No, no, no.

If your kid loves to ski, I certainly would not hold him off for “What ifs.” Being a great golfer is athletics, all of them, and all of them carry inherent risks. The most likely inhibitor for your son won’t be his physical skills, but the mental side. Lots of guys are great golfers but only 150 have the mental side, and you can’t train or predict mental abilities.

All the research has indicated children who play one sport as children are worse off in the end. So not only should he ski in the winter, he should be playing a fall sport and a spring sport that isn’t golf. Specialization shouldn’t happen for a number of years into his development.

If it is meant to be, one year off bc of injury is not the end of the world, and it is unlikely. Kids are much “looser” than adults and much less unlikely to get injured anyway. I would be more worried about your knees than his.

You are 100% correct

The skills you mentioned above - how many can you do with a broken leg or torn knee?

You can throw a ball with a broken leg or torn knee. I dislocated my knee cap at 11 and shattered my collarbone in two places at 12. Still chipped and putted through both and hit wedge shots with knee injury. Golf is primarily hand eye coordination and speed related which you can work on sitting in a chair. I played 5 events in college with a broken ankle in a walking boot. Peter Tomasulo played in the Web.com Tour championship with a broken leg in a cast.

Again kids have injuries all the time and many don’t pick up a club until older than your son is now yet become top golfers. An injury at 9 years old isn’t going to prevent your kid from being a great golfer if he wants to be one and works at it the right way. If he is going to be great he will be great.

You are 100% correct

Sure, that's a straw man. But, you sound like a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. You're the head of the household, choose a vacation based on your whole family's enjoyment, not a 9 y/o's hobby and recreation. What you don't understand is that this kind of mentality is exactly what will hold him back. Not only does he have the pressure of competition, but also having detoured family vacations, which I'm sure is just the tip of the iceberg. Let him be a kid, that happens to enjoy golf right now. Not that you're going to listen to a guy on the internet, but maybe you'll get the point. Don't help him obsess over golf. Help him have balance in life.

Oops. Wrong quote. Should be the straw man quote.

iTeach- when I was a kid in the 80's, our best kid golfers largely didn't pan out as very few of them matured into having club head speed. Is that still true?

You are 100% correct

Sure, that's a straw man. But, you sound like a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. You're the head of the household, choose a vacation based on your whole family's enjoyment, not a 9 y/o's hobby and recreation. What you don't understand is that this kind of mentality is exactly what will hold him back. Not only does he have the pressure of competition, but also having detoured family vacations, which I'm sure is just the tip of the iceberg. Let him be a kid, that happens to enjoy golf right now. Not that you're going to listen to a guy on the internet, but maybe you'll get the point. Don't help him obsess over golf. Help him have balance in life.

iTeach- when I was a kid in the 80's, our best kid golfers largely didn't pan out as very few of them matured into having club head speed. Is that still true?

I’d say how good a kid is at 8-12 is really meaningless due to how different kids mature and grow. A lot of kids get burnt out and don’t love it when they get older. The juniors I teach who are the best ( have taught 4 NCAA national champions) were well rounded and while they have a passion for golf, they have lives outside of golf too.

We go every year, typically locally in the northeast a few times as well as a bigger trip to west coast once, but now that my son is in the prime skill development age Im concerned about significant downtime if a major injury occurred. Seems inevitable given enough iterations.

Thoughts?

Without sounding like a troll are you serious? Enjoy life. He not getting paid. If he gets hurt that’s life s*** happens, but to take an experience away because your afraid of doing harm to said golf career is absurd. If your that afraid of it try the beach.

You only live once

When you over-protect, you subdue his "competitive side". Let him be a boy and and experience some great family memories because you don't have him for much longer, believe it or not. Unless you want him in your basement 'til he's 30, give him a chance to experience thrills, competition, and perseverance. Be patient and supportive, but let him decide what he wants to do. It's tough, I know.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Plenty of the top players I teach didn't touch a club until they were 12 or older. The "skills" you're talking about learning 9-12 aren't golf specific. They are simply being an athlete. You're thinking about it only in golf terms, those "skills" are learned throwing a ball, running, playing tag, climbing fences, the stuff kids do being kids when not playing video games.

You are 100% correct

I'd say how good a kid is at 8-12 is really meaningless due to how different kids mature and grow. A lot of kids get burnt out and don't love it when they get older. The juniors I teach who are the best ( have taught 4 NCAA national champions) were well rounded and while they have a passion for golf, they have lives outside of golf too.

iteachgolf - you make some very good points, but your comment "how good a kid is at 8-12 is really meaningless" is a false narrative IMHO

only 1.8% of high school golfers go on to compete at the NCAA D1 level

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/golf.htm

I think if you actually looked very closely at the stats and history, the top golfers at a young age (8yo, 12yo, whatever - pick an age) actually have a significantly higher % chance of playing at the D1 (or higher) level than 1 in 50; you could simply cross-reference the Pinehurst World Championship historical results (top 100) with list of college/pro golfers as a back of the envelope sanity check

as has been discussed in other threads/topics, showing promise at an early age doesn't *guarantee* success later, but it is a better predictor of it than anything else

btw I also agree with Matt J that having requisite club head speed is a limiting factor for junior golfers who make it to the next level