Garmin S60 Watch reviews?

Norboo

I am currently using S20 and I like it a lot. If Garmin S60 is just as good with better and more features, I might upgrade.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently using S20 and I like it a lot. If Garmin S60 is just as good with better and more features, I might upgrade.

I was interested in either the S20 or the S60 but when I checked the reviews on Amazon (which were so-so at best for the S60) I'm probably going to go with the S20 since the price is now $130 vs $400 for the S60. However, since the season is over where I live I'll probably wait till the spring since the price drop on the S20 may mean it will be replaced soon.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Shot Scope failure I was just reading up a bit on the S60. Does it actually track shots with any accuracy or is that not really something it does that well? And I assume you have to go in and edit what clubs were used?

I have no direct experience with the S60 (I own an S6), but my friend has an X40 with shot detection. There is an option you can set so that it will ask you what club was used after each shot. But it is kind of annoying to be prompted each time so he ended up turning the option off.

I believe the S60 will be the same.

On a side note, the shot detection is pretty fantastic. After the round you get overhead shots of the hole showing where you hit it and how far. It works very accurately most of the time , especially when you stay in your own fairway. He has had some strange looking results on the overheads when he is spraying them around.

With the Shot Scope failure I was just reading up a bit on the S60. Does it actually track shots with any accuracy or is that not really something it does that well? And I assume you have to go in and edit what clubs were used?

I have no direct experience with the S60 (I own an S6), but my friend has an X40 with shot detection. There is an option you can set so that it will ask you what club was used after each shot. But it is kind of annoying to be prompted each time so he ended up turning the option off.

On a side note, the shot detection is pretty fantastic. After the round you get overhead shots of the hole showing where you hit it and how far. It works very accurately most of the time , especially when you stay in your own fairway. He has had some strange looking results on the overheads when he is spraying them around.

That does not bode well for me haha. I have been known to spray it a bit off the tee. I might have to check into one of these though if the shot detection is pretty good.

I too was thinking about dumping my S20 for an S60. I can't justify the price yet to make the upgrade. The S20 has everything I think you need. I previously had the S2 and felt like this was a nice upgrade in terms of battery life and the face/screen.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

I like mine. It works well. The auto shot detector however gets skewed a bit (from what I've been able to determine anyway). It registers after you make a swing, but it's not like the S6 when you "mark" your shot and it measures from there until you push the button again. On thenS60 it registers the swing or stating point automatically, but starts adding distance on wherever you move. It's not a ball to ball, or point A to B measure. It starts adding distance as I walk off the tee box back to the cart for instance. To check my yardage, I have to make sure and see what it is showing when I get in the cart so I can subtract that from the reading.

If anyone is looking to upgrade, I have one listed now in the BST for a little more than 1/2 price of new. I'm going away from a watch and back to handheld.

That does not bode well for me haha. I have been known to spray it a bit off the tee. I might have to check into one of these though if the shot detection is pretty good.

I was being pretty harsh with my review of the shot detection perhaps. My mate spends maybe 14 out of 18 holes in the trees, and the shot detection generally only does weird things on one or two holes. So I think you could say it works well most of the time.

Its also good how I can have him as a Garmin connection friend and can see his overhead shots when I get home and review his round. It's nice to have a private giggle about some of the shots I wanted to giggle about when they were played but was too polite/scared.

He is into fitness stuff too, and has the X40...it's like the watch was made for him. Fitness and golf.

If you own S20, no reason to upgrade to S60. S60 doesn't have hazards. To look up distance to hazards with the map is major hassle! They dropped the ball on this big time!

One good thing about the S60 is automatic shot measuring on each shots. It does look nice and has approx. 300 watch faces. But for golf, S20 is much easier to use.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

• 1 month later...

I played this past weekend down in the Pinehurst area on 4 different courses and the S60 was awesome. It located satellites usually in a matter of seconds, brought up the correct course usually at the top of the list and was always on the correct hole. Kept score on it once but that will probably be the last time. Prefer Golf Shot for stats and score keeping but it did work fine. There is a bit of a learning curve as I tried to put it on and then use it which did work for basic info like front, middle and back distances. But when we started on a hole other than one I had no idea how to advance it to the correct hole. Someone else had one in the group and they were able to show me how to do it which is quite easy. This also functions very well as a normal watch in day to day functions. Its no AW but it does things very similar to the AW. Battery life was fine for one round but I doubt it makes it for two rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as yardages to the hole and to hazards, my X40 is great. It's relatively small, easy to use, great battery life, etc. However, I just have not had a good experience with the auto shot tracking feature. Most bad experiences that seen described here on golfwrx with the S20 and X40 have been about missing shots. However I have the opposite problem where it records extra shots. Also I often forget to tell it which club I used after hitting a shot so when I look at it again and it is asking about what club I used, I'm assuming it is asking about the last shot only but that might not be true. Finally when I go to Garmin Connect web page to look at the data and fix the errant shots, it will show me as hitting a shot from the green back to the tee or way over to another hole, etc. Sometimes I can delete and add enough shots to fix it and sometimes I cannot. I enjoy the device but that feature just acts a little weird to me. Initially when the S20 and X40 came out, I saw many others complaining about the autoshot feature not working great and some updates were apparently made that helped others. In any case, Garmin seems to make great products and have excellent customer service and I would definitely buy another product from them again even though this experience hasn't been perfect.