Played a much shorter than normal course yesterday

Chote konez

So a buddy of mine invited me to his club. It’s a great course, but short. We only had time for a quick nine and I played the men’s tees cuz that what the rest of the foresome was playing. It was about 3050 yards and my home course is 6900 from the tees I play. Anyway, excellent course but I really just didn’t have much fun. The highest club I had for any approach shot was 8 iron on a downhill 165 par 3. Longer irons for my second shot into the par 5s. Everything on the par 4s was either 52 or 58 wedge. I’m a 1.9 (have no delusions that this makes me a great player or anything) and shot a 35 (eagle, 2 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys) but I left feeling rather unsatisfied with how I played and just felt like I left tons of strokes on the course. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? I know the USGA and tons of random pros say teeing it forward would be more fun, but I experienced the total opposite.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the tee it forward was about cutting down on the length of time it takes to play a round.

I have something similar going on, I usually on play with my brother on two courses that are 7050 and 6300, but whenever he brings the nephews we play on the shorter course at 5800. I make it interesting by leaving the driver in the car teeing off with a 3 or 5 wood.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I like a short course every now and again, and I really focus on hitting my target and short game. I regularly play a 9 hole course that's only about 2400 yards, and the longest club I ever have to hit on an approach shot is probably a 6i, and that's when I laid up. Normally if I went more aggressive on each hole. longest club is maybe a GW. The fairways are mega skinny, maybe 20 or 25 yards wide, so it's really a good test of accuracy off the tee, even if you only need a hybrid or 5i most holes.

Everything on the par 4s was either 52 or 58 wedge. I'm a 1.9 and shot a 35

< snip >

I know the USGA and tons of random pros say teeing it forward would be more fun, but I experienced the total opposite.

They recommend 6700-6900 yards for those with average drive of 275. You meet or exceed that, am I right?

http://www.pga.com/pga-and-usga-step-new-sets-tees-in-nationwide-tee-it-forward-initiative

Everything on the par 4s was either 52 or 58 wedge. I'm a 1.9 and shot a 35

< snip >

I know the USGA and tons of random pros say teeing it forward would be more fun, but I experienced the total opposite.

They recommend 6700-6900 yards for those with average drive of 275. You meet or exceed that, am I right?

http://www.pga.com/pga-and-usga-step-new-sets-tees-in-nationwide-tee-it-forward-initiative

Yes

So a buddy of mine invited me to his club. It's a great course, but short. We only had time for a quick nine and I played the men's tees cuz that what the rest of the foresome was playing. It was about 3050 yards and my home course is 6900 from the tees I play. Anyway, excellent course but I really just didn't have much fun. The highest club I had for any approach shot was 8 iron on a downhill 165 par 3. Longer irons for my second shot into the par 5s. Everything on the par 4s was either 52 or 58 wedge. I'm a 1.9 (have no delusions that this makes me a great player or anything) and shot a 35 (eagle, 2 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys) but I left feeling rather unsatisfied with how I played and just felt like I left tons of strokes on the course. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? I know the USGA and tons of random pros say teeing it forward would be more fun, but I experienced the total opposite.

Play whatever length allows you to have fun. I like to mix in shorter setups as it allows me to work on different parts of my game.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Ironically, I did the same on Saturday. It was cold-ish here and I figured the ball wouldn't go as far plus there was an extra layer. Moved up from 6,500 to just over 6,000 and on 8 of the first 9 holes, the approach shot to the green was a wedge or partial wedge. To me, a well designed course has you using every club in the bag. Numerically the score was nice but I didn't feel good about it and ended up moving back to the normal tees.

So a buddy of mine invited me to his club. It’s a great course, but short. We only had time for a quick nine and I played the men’s tees cuz that what the rest of the foresome was playing. It was about 3050 yards and my home course is 6900 from the tees I play. Anyway, excellent course but I really just didn’t have much fun. The highest club I had for any approach shot was 8 iron on a downhill 165 par 3. Longer irons for my second shot into the par 5s. Everything on the par 4s was either 52 or 58 wedge. I’m a 1.9 (have no delusions that this makes me a great player or anything) and shot a 35 (eagle, 2 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys) but I left feeling rather unsatisfied with how I played and just felt like I left tons of strokes on the course. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? I know the USGA and tons of random pros say teeing it forward would be more fun, but I experienced the total opposite.

Normally when folks say they left strokes out there it means they felt there score should have been lower, you say you left tons.

You didn't post the rating/slope.

Suggests the course is fine and appears to be an ample challenge for you?

Tee it forward is only about having fun. If you have hitting nothing but wedges as approaches then you are too far forward, obviously. Tee it forward is not for the guys that are 2 handicaps from 6,900 yards and hitting tee shots near 300.

Tee it forward is for the guys and gals that are hitting long irons and hybrids into the majority of the greens. For example a guy with a handicap of 20 or so and playing a course way too long for their length. That is no fun for anyone and your score and pleasure suffers.

One day you'll be that guy that is playing 6,900 yards and can't hit anything under a 4 iron to reach a green if at all. Tee it forward is for those guys, not the OP that is smashing drives 290 yards with a handicap of 2. That really should be obvious.

There's a huge difference between a short course that's been set up to defend the average player, and a shortened longer course. I play at a club with a short and long course, and prefer the short course for some of the holes that are tighter, as they have out of bounds right up the right, or have bushes or traps set to stop anyone hitting a certain length. I find it makes me think a bit more, whereas on the longer holes of the longer course it's just distance that's the difficulty.

I've also played long courses that are set up to punish shorter hitters like me, bunkers at 200-240, then clear from there, long hitters just fly all the trouble and the course has no real defence for them. Short hitters have to deal with extra distance, and all the trouble, never been able to work out how that was designed that way!

There's a huge difference between a short course that's been set up to defend the average player, and a shortened longer course. I play at a club with a short and long course, and prefer the short course for some of the holes that are tighter, as they have out of bounds right up the right, or have bushes or traps set to stop anyone hitting a certain length. I find it makes me think a bit more, whereas on the longer holes of the longer course it's just distance that's the difficulty.

I've also played long courses that are set up to punish shorter hitters like me, bunkers at 200-240, then clear from there, long hitters just fly all the trouble and the course has no real defence for them. Short hitters have to deal with extra distance, and all the trouble, never been able to work out how that was designed that way!

I hate to say it, but somebody might have it in for you.

Normally when folks say they left strokes out there it means they felt there score should have been lower, you say you left tons.

Rating 70.2 slope 125. So to better my cap I’d have to shoot a 72 over 18 holes. I easily shot a 35 and didn’t play that great, so I’d disagree that it was ample challenge.

Most people should be playing a golf course no longer than 5600 yards.

Longest par 3 150

Longest par 4 360

Longest par 5 470

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I played a course right around 6,000 yards for what might be my last round of the year. It was the day after taking a beating from 6,700 yards of cold, wet, hilly golf.

Yes, most of the par-4's were shorter - and I could have tried for driver-wedge into most of them. But, I took the opportunity to play a different game than usual - a lot more irons off the tee, playing for position, etc.

There were 3 par-5's - all between 480-500, but two had a hazard from 270-300yds out and the other was a hard dogleg right - so reaching them in 2 was not a given but a good, well placed drive offered a chance. Yea, there was a 100 yard par-3 that was kind of blah, but for the most part the trouble - OB, trees, hazards, etc. kept you honest and not even wanting to rip driver off every tee.

I had a blast! For the first time in a long time (maybe ever?) I had 4 birdies. My approaches ranged from half-wedge all the way to full 6 irons based on how I chose to attack each hole. No, I wouldn't want to play there every week, but it was a nice ego boost and fun, different approach than the courses I usually play.

Longest par 3 150

Longest par 4 360

Longest par 5 470

Why?

Because most golfers do not break 100, most golfers do hit drives over 225 and most do not hit 7 irons more than 140.

Golf is suppose to be fun! Hitting Driver hybrid on every hole isnt. We wanna grow the game we need to make it more accomendating to beginners. Big cups, shorter coursers, 12 holes, 2 on 2 schamble matches.

MAKE GOLF GREAT AGAIN!!!

Other sports do it, why not golf?!?!?

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

So a buddy of mine invited me to his club. It's a great course, but short. We only had time for a quick nine and I played the men's tees cuz that what the rest of the foresome was playing. It was about 3050 yards and my home course is 6900 from the tees I play. Anyway, excellent course but I really just didn't have much fun. The highest club I had for any approach shot was 8 iron on a downhill 165 par 3. Longer irons for my second shot into the par 5s. Everything on the par 4s was either 52 or 58 wedge. I'm a 1.9 (have no delusions that this makes me a great player or anything) and shot a 35 (eagle, 2 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys) but I left feeling rather unsatisfied with how I played and just felt like I left tons of strokes on the course. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? I know the USGA and tons of random pros say teeing it forward would be more fun, but I experienced the total opposite.

Unsatisfied ? Wedges into Par 4 holes all day long.

Tony Finau and Dustin Johnson play this way all the time !

Longest par 3 150

Longest par 4 360

Longest par 5 470

Why?

Because most golfers do not break 100, most golfers do hit drives over 225 and most do not hit 7 irons more than 140.

Golf is suppose to be fun! Hitting Driver hybrid on every hole isnt. We wanna grow the game we need to make it more accomendating to beginners. Big cups, shorter coursers, 12 holes, 2 on 2 schamble matches.

MAKE GOLF GREAT AGAIN!!!

Hitting Driver wedge on every hole isn't fun either.

Man...dude.....damn......I am SO sorry you just wasted 2 hours of your life not being fulfilled by having to play golf with other people from a course that was too short for you and your game.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Longest par 3 150

Longest par 4 360

Longest par 5 470

Why?

MAKE GOLF GREAT AGAIN!!!

Why not!!! Its alot easier, more birdie opportunities.

you took one for the team. We played at 6600 last week, wet course no run sea level. My buddy kept saying he belongs one tee up. I probably 2 irons less and 30 yards farther with driver and I felt like I was selfish. So it can work both ways. Next time we play I will sacrifice and play up. More fun for him. Thats what its about. I get it though if you have a great score you feel like its not legit, but its more about having fun with your friends or family IMO.

Teeing it forward is recommended for those who play tees the USGA considers too far back. For example, if a golfer is hitting fairway woods and hybrids into most par 4s, then perhaps he should consider moving up. For most people hitting irons into greens as, opposed to fairway woods, would probably be more fun as it gives them a better chance to score. There are those, of course, who like the "challenge" of playing back. Their scores reflect it. lol

If a golfer plays the correct tees there is no need to tee it forward. The USGA isn't advocating that everyone tee it forward.

Man...dude.....damn......I am SO sorry you just wasted 2 hours of your life not being fulfilled by having to play golf with other people from a course that was too short for you and your game.

I am SO sorry that myself and anyone else in this thread had to waste time reading your pointless post.

OP - I think your feelings are completely understandable. Not being able to play different length (differently clubbed) approach shots removes one of the most fun aspects of the game. At least you were able to enjoy the time with your mate, even if the golf itself was a bit of a let down.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Longest par 3 150

Longest par 4 360

Longest par 5 470

Why?

MAKE GOLF GREAT AGAIN!!!

So then do you play from the most forward tees? That would be the easiest with the most birdie opportunities which is what you're equating to fun. Frankly if that's how you enjoy the game, have at it...just stay on pace.

So then do you play from the most forward tees? That would be the easiest with the most birdie opportunities which is what you're equating to fun. Frankly if that's how you enjoy the game, have at it...just stay on pace.

Yes! When we go to Bandon Dune next week, I'll see if our group wants to play the 4000yd blue tees instead of the 6200yd green tees.

'Birdie' the four 340yd or less par 5s, play the other 14 holes at even, shoot a 68, and have our least enjoyable round at Bandon ever. What's not to like?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yes! When we go to Bandon Dune next week, I'll see if our group wants to play the 4000yd blue tees instead of the 6200yd green tees.

'Birdie' the four 340yd or less par 5s, play the other 14 holes at even, shoot a 68, and have our least enjoyable round at Bandon ever. What's not to like?

Our of the Chicago guys and outstanding golfers, VNutz, was there over the weekend and shot 74 on BD yesterday. If he played from 4,000 yards he might have shot a 36.

Rating 70.2 slope 125. So to better my cap I'd have to shoot a 72 over 18 holes. I easily shot a 35 and didn't play that great, so I'd disagree that it was ample challenge.

You had 3 bogeys, whose to say the next time those aren't pars and the eagle/birdies aren't something else? You get what you get, so 3 bogeys in 9 holes suggests the course has more teeth than you are admitting. Maybe it wasn't fun because you didn't dominate it like you think you should have? And there are always courses we don't like for all sorts of reasons. Not sure we'd see the same thread started if you shot 29.

Hey, I wouldn't want to play driver wedge all day long either (still got to knock those "easy" wedges stiff, though) and I like hitting different clubs as well into the greens, so I'm just nudging you a little bit.

I don't see the play it forward gripe, however. You really weren't playing it forward nor apparently need to. You were playing a short course, play it forward is for folks who need the shorter holes, like my dad who finally started playing it forward regularly over the past couple of years after lots of encouragement. Playing driver, 3 or 5 wood to every hole is no fun, either.

If it's such a letdown, why not tee off with a fairway wood, hybrid, long iron just to mix it up?

Close to sounding like, "I'm too sexy for my shirt."

Longest par 3 150

Longest par 4 360

Longest par 5 470

Why?

MAKE GOLF GREAT AGAIN!!!

Golf is great and will be as long as no one tries to make it great again. If you want to make something great again, I suggest you take up bowling or lawn darts.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Our of the Chicago guys and outstanding golfers, VNutz, was there over the weekend and shot 74 on BD yesterday. If he played from 4,000 yards he might have shot a 36.

Yeah but he's an aberration. He really does hit it WRX long.

I would much rather play a distance where I'm hitting more long irons or hybrids than wedges into the greens. Maybe I'm a masochist or something but I get much more satisfaction recording a decent score from a longer distance.

I've posted it numerous times, but at home I'd much rather shoot 75 from the tips (7,100) than 72 from the men's (6,500) even though both yield almost identical differentials.

But that's just me, like DP said, as long as you're keeping pace, play from wherever you want.