Played a much shorter than normal course yesterday

Chote konez

Man...dude.....damn......I am SO sorry you just wasted 2 hours of your life not being fulfilled by having to play golf with other people from a course that was too short for you and your game.

The point was more that I couldn’t enjoy what was a pretty good nine for me. I wasn’t asking for sympathy and I was looking forward to playing the shorter course but it also felt like cheating almost. Just making an observation and wondering if anyone’s felt the same, which seems to be the case.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...dude.....damn......I am SO sorry you just wasted 2 hours of your life not being fulfilled by having to play golf with other people from a course that was too short for you and your game.

The point was more that I couldn't enjoy what was a pretty good nine for me. I wasn't asking for sympathy and I was looking forward to playing the shorter course but it also felt like cheating almost. Just making an observation and wondering if anyone's felt the same, which seems to be the case.

Did you roll a ball out of a divot, find one in the rough where it wasn't, or did you take five foot gimmies?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

I’ve always been a great lag putter, and terrible from 8-15 feet. For that reason, I’ve never shot much different scores on courses ranging from 6,200-7,400. It’s the guys who make short to mid range putts who really see the lower scores on shorter courses, IMO.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

The point was more that I couldn't enjoy what was a pretty good nine for me. I wasn't asking for sympathy and I was looking forward to playing the shorter course but it also felt like cheating almost. Just making an observation and wondering if anyone's felt the same, which seems to be the case.

Did you roll a ball out of a divot, find one in the rough where it wasn't, or did you take five foot gimmies?

No none of that.

I've always been a great lag putter, and terrible from 8-15 feet. For that reason, I've never shot much different scores on courses ranging from 6,200-7,400. It's the guys who make short to mid range putts who really see the lower scores on shorter courses, IMO.

I can see that. 1,200 additional yards doesn't really have that big of an impact. However, it's the guys who make the short to mid range putts who really see the lower scores on any course.

I've always been a great lag putter, and terrible from 8-15 feet. For that reason, I've never shot much different scores on courses ranging from 6,200-7,400. It's the guys who make short to mid range putts who really see the lower scores on shorter courses, IMO.

I can see that. 1,200 additional yards doesn't really have that big of an impact. However, it's the guys who make the short to mid range putts who really see the lower scores on any course.

Yeah, those long shots into the green don't count.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

I personally tend to enjoy long courses as short courses highlight just how bad my short game is. From 7k yards I'm hitting 9i-5i into greens while from 6k yards I'm hitting wedges every hole, and yet my score might only change by a stroke or two because I'm equally competent at botching both.

I know I'm personally guilty of the basic human tendency to enjoy things that we are already good at and avoid activities that highlight our weaknesses. For the purpose of improving, however, I am really making an effort to play forward at the regular men's and even ladies tees more often, at least until I figure out how to score.

I would much rather play a distance where I'm hitting more long irons or hybrids than wedges into the greens. Maybe I'm a masochist or something but I get much more satisfaction recording a decent score from a longer distance.

I've posted it numerous times, but at home I'd much rather shoot 75 from the tips (7,100) than 72 from the men's (6,500) even though both yield almost identical differentials.

But that's just me, like DP said, as long as you're keeping pace, play from wherever you want.

I totally see where you're coming from, and for the Bandon example I get it too. When I travel to destination courses I like to play the furthest back tees I think I can reasonably handle. But that's not the question here. As I understand it, this is a shorter course, with no further back tees. The option was playing there or playing somewhere else (or not at all).

So the issue from the OP is - (potentially) offend your friend by saying his course is not good enough for you, or play the shorter course every once in a while and have some fun, maybe playing a different style of game that you would at your home course?

My previous post in this thread I had a similar example from last week - and I pointed out it will not be a favorite in my rotation, but once in a while it will be a fun ego boost/heat check/get your game back on track. It's also the closest and cheapest course to my new house, which means there will be times iI can either play there or not at all.

I would much rather play a distance where I'm hitting more long irons or hybrids than wedges into the greens. Maybe I'm a masochist or something but I get much more satisfaction recording a decent score from a longer distance.

I've posted it numerous times, but at home I'd much rather shoot 75 from the tips (7,100) than 72 from the men's (6,500) even though both yield almost identical differentials.

But that's just me, like DP said, as long as you're keeping pace, play from wherever you want.

I totally see where you're coming from, and for the Bandon example I get it too. When I travel to destination courses I like to play the furthest back tees I think I can reasonably handle. But that's not the question here. As I understand it, this is a shorter course, with no further back tees. The option was playing there or playing somewhere else (or not at all).

So the issue from the OP is - (potentially) offend your friend by saying his course is not good enough for you, or play the shorter course every once in a while and have some fun, maybe playing a different style of game that you would at your home course?

My previous post in this thread I had a similar example from last week - and I pointed out it will not be a favorite in my rotation, but once in a while it will be a fun ego boost/heat check/get your game back on track. It's also the closest and cheapest course to my new house, which means there will be times iI can either play there or not at all.

I agree, if it’s just a short course, all you can do is play what is available. Just go out and enjoy it and try to shoot a career round. That’s fun too, and shouldn’t be anything to not be proud of. You can only play what is there.

I might be in minority, I don't mind playing short courses once a while with golfers who's fun to play with, often around 5800-6200 yards long. It can be frustrating when your wedge or short game is off.

My club hosts what they call Take it Deep tournament every November weather permitting, around 5000-5300 yards long with easy pins, better be accurate with your driving. I found it to be a good test for my wedge play. Last 3 of those tournaments, I shot 61, 60 & 60, my friends and I all had a blast.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I agree, if it’s just a short course, all you can do is play what is available. Just go out and enjoy it and try to shoot a career round. That’s fun too, and shouldn’t be anything to not be proud of. You can only play what is there.

Great point :)

One of my favorite courses to play when I lived in California was Pacific Grove. The back 9 is simply short for anyone who normally plays at 6500+ yds (heck maybe 6100+) and to me it doesn't matter one bit. You get 6 holes of genuine sandy turf and can play bump and run shots you don't normally get to do. Plus fantastic views of Monterey Bay/Pacific Ocean.

I've never once wished it was longer or a more 'serious' challenge, you take it for what it is and have a great time. I have shot a number of low scores for me there, that have been a good 7-8 shots lower than my lowest score ever at nearby Bayonet; however, I know which was the 'better' round of golf and it was the 82 at the latter.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Great point :)

One of my favorite courses to play when I lived in California was Pacific Grove. The back 9 is simply short for anyone who normally plays at 6500+ yds (heck maybe 6100+) and to me it doesn't matter one bit. You get 6 holes of genuine sandy turf and can play bump and run shots you don't normally get to do. Plus fantastic views of Monterey Bay/Pacific Ocean.

I've never once wished it was longer or a more 'serious' challenge, you take it for what it is and have a great time. I have shot a number of low scores for me there, that have been a good 7-8 shots lower than my lowest score ever at nearby Bayonet; however, I know which was the 'better' round of golf and it was the 82 at the latter.

Such a fun back nine.

I try to play the course in front of me and not worry. There is a real short course near my house with the most aggressively sloped greens I've ever seen at a public course. Let the bombers complain about the short length. Then watch them scratch their heads on the greens. Now, if this course were made longer, youd see some really high scores I'd bet. Some days when the greenskeepers are in a bad mood, there's some hellish breaks around the whole. It makes it even more fun in a real weird way.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

I try to play the course in front of me and not worry. There is a real short course near my house with the most aggressively sloped greens I've ever seen at a public course. Let the bombers complain about the short length. Then watch them scratch their heads on the greens. Now, if this course were made longer, youd see some really high scores I'd bet. Some days when the greenskeepers are in a bad mood, there's some hellish breaks around the whole. It makes it even more fun in a real weird way.

Yeah like I posted earlier my course is definitely short, but there are also only two par fives for scoring and the greens are tiny. Creek runs through a good portion of the holes.

I find my home course at 6000 yards tougher than one course in my town that is a 7000 par 73 with 5 par fives. I lick my chops on that course when we have interclub there.

I don't enjoy playing tees that are too long, or too short. Too long and I am hitting fairway woods into greens, too short and I am hitting 8, 9, or some kind of wedge. I like to pay tees that fall in between so that the yardage is enough of a challenge, yet I am not making a difficult game even more difficult, or not giving myself the opportunity to hit longer clubs into greens.

There is no right or wrong answer. People should simply play the tees they enjoy playing. It's a game. Have fun with it. Just like if someone wants to have his name on his bag, or use a staff bag, or iron head covers, or dress like Rickie Fowler, or play blades, or all hybrids...so what? It's their game, it's their money, and none of those things affect the golfers around him one iota.

That said, in my experience people who move up to an "appropriate tee" seem to have more fun than those who do not. One can either struggle having to get up and down on nearly every hole to make a par, or have the occasional birdie putt. If you enjoy the struggle, more power to you. lol

I've watched this thread for a the time that it has been going on, and here are some of my observations:

I grew up working on a course that measured around 6800 with elevation changes of upwards of 40-50 feet, and greens that rolled (at average) around 10 on the stimp meter, which was a relatively new fangled thingamabob that could actually measure green speeds. And, the greens were quite large with excellent undulations. Very few "unfair" hole positions. Got good enough to become "scratch" and turn pro there.

Fast foward a few years, and suddenly I am at a 9 hole course that was only about 3100 yards. Got to develop the second nine. The total for that course was just a tad over 6000 yards. Took absolutely every club in the bag to play it "properly". There were holes that you could definitely take a driver, but were better off taking something less. 4 par fives where a driver was definitely in play, but penalized for being off-line (water, OB, etc).

Never did I feel that when I played there that I was bored or felt that I was hitting too short of a club into each hole. And, I played it as far back as I could, which was only about 6100 yards.

I enjoy each and every course for what it is. I try my best to beat the course (or have a good time - sometimes a mutuallly exclusive occurence).

Do I enjoy hitting short irons into each and every hole? Well...actually, I play what the course gives me, and do my best to accept it.

Do I enjoy hitting long irons/hybrids/fairway woods into each par 4 on a course??? Again, I play wwhat the course gives me.

I suppose the fact that I have confidence in all of my clubs, no matter the range, makes it a bit "easier" for me.

The same goes for exceptionally fast greens vs. slow greens; greens with excessive sloping vs. flat.

Take what the course gives you...enjoy the fact that you are playing the game when many people are so less fortunate than you. They may either be working, or worse...not have a job to be working at, and dealing with the problems associated with either.

Old(er) age has a way of making one look at things much differently. Do I enjoy hitting woods/long irons (personally, I don't have hybrids) into par 4's? I really doesn't bother me. At least, no more than hitting short irons into each hole.

Wish you well, OP...and, hope that you can find a happy medium in your enjoyment of different types of courses.

YMMV

I played a 9-holer in San Diego recently on vacation with a couple of Breeders Cup buddies. 1,605 yards.

I used a borrowed 7-iron, 9-iron, ladies fairway wood for fringe chips and a ladies putter. Had a blast. Shot 28.

I gave one friend 1 stroke per hole and the other 2. Their scores were 32, 40. I lost $5,000 on paper. Birdies rule.

Fortunately, I broke about even at Del Mar, not counting admission or the $10 beers.

Sounds like I’m trying to justify my short home course, but for perspective the two par fives are barely 500 yards tipped out.

I’ve posted about the 8th hole on that “toughest hole you play” thread.

Dog leg right with a pond covering the entire right and trees covering the entire left all the way to the green.

You can hit driver but you have about 20 yards to land it if you want to risk it. Has to be a deadly line too. Take on too much pond it’s toast and don’t turn it enough it’s in the trees. You have to carry it 250 to be safe but you have to have the right line.

Creek guards the back of the green and right side if you go for it and the green slopes front to back.

Even at 515 yards that hole is a monster for most players. I laid up with a hybrid off the tee and took the wimpy pars during my club championship.

The other par five is your typical 500 yarder with a creek down the left and a marsh guarding the front of the 3 tiered green.

There are short courses that can challenge more than just your length IMO.

I played in a group yesterday and the guy I was riding with knew he should be playing up but chose to play the men's tees rather than the senior tees. He hit, at best, 200 off the tee so even 3 wood (which he hit poorly) was not long enough to reach most par 4s. Often, he was hitting his third when I was hitting my second. The other two gentlemen played senior tees.

At 9 he chose to move up, and convinced me to at 12 so we'd all be playing from the same tees. I was 70-100 yards further than the others off each tee box. It was still fun and we had an enjoyable round of laughter and joking.

Men's tees are 6700+, seniors at 6200 so the seniors is where he should have been playing. He was amazed at my length and had to measure my longer drives, which at 260-270 were just average.

My home course is a ridiculously easy/short executive (Phoenix area). But it's a really interesting/challenging Gary Panks design. He's a sadist. And so are the guys who cut the holes. There's a tight 468-yard par 5 that I often go OB on and/or in the water for an 8. There are several cool risk/reward par 4s.

Don't like playing boring cow pasture par 3s or par 36s. Like hitting 4 hybrids and gap wedges.