My Detour 2 Refinish - A DIY Buttonback

I needed to get rid of some clubs and took advantage of a trade-in bonus coupled with a discount on Titleist equipment to pick up this Detour 2 for the equivalent of about $80 worth of clubs that weren't being used. Anyways, I wish I would have taken some pictures of where it started, but I was pretty excited to get started on it and forgot.

I started by attempting to remove the stock screws, which stripped immediately. Naturally, my next thought was to drill out the old screws, and with the detour insert sticking back, it was difficult to get a clean angle on the screws. This led to them not being screwed out of the center and me drilling out a bigger portion of the back of the putter. WHOOPS. I was, however, able to get the insert out after doing this. If I had it to do over again, I would have just left the stock screws and hammered out the insert (not planning to reuse), as it seemed to come out pretty easily, and then removed the screws. Live and learn.

After getting the insert out, I had to take care of the severe damage that the putter had incurred. Specifically, the toe of the putter had a huge ding in it that actually cause the face of the putter to bow outwards. Again, I wish that I had pictures of this, but you can see where I had to remove a lot of metal to get it level. The rear bumpers were also pretty bad and the topline had a good amount of damage.

These photos are pretty good indicators of how the putter started, not the exact putter though:

hqD8hxb.jpg

ZUKSskU.jpg

toCBWux.jpg

The dings required a good amount of worth with the Dremel and a grinding wheel and then sanding both by hand and with the Dremel. In these photos you can see the holes where I had to drill out the old screws.

26474510379_13c0283c14_b.jpg

38250352121_878cd60f5f_b.jpg

Here's the toe that needed a lot of work.

38250352461_c6cc51ca2a_b.jpg

This area was really bad too.

38195829226_19897450d6_b.jpg

I then cleaned the head really well and decided to take my first shot at torching a putter, which I think turned out awesome. I figured that a finish that wasn't completely uniform would do a better job of hiding the remaining imperfections, and I think that proved to be correct.

38195798046_bf05159855_b.jpg

38195798136_ae060cfc67_b.jpg

38218703802_148fbb9362_b.jpg

Those are the last picures that I have for now. I ended up hitting the head with a Scotch Brite pad to make it have more of a brushed torched finish, and applied a white paint fill. I will upload pictures of that when I get home.

I have some copper stock that is arriving tomorrow that I plan on cutting and sanding to fit the insert area. I'll be going to the store either tonight or tomorrow to find some screws that hopefully have a head that's big enough to cover the extra area that was drilled out in back, if I can't do that I will have to come up with some creative way to fill them. I had some JB Weld SteelStik in there before I torched it, which didn't look bad but isn't ideal.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this a couple of times but I can't get enough of it! Such a cool thing to do and I really respect the guys that can pull it off. I am looking forward to following your progress! Takes a putter that is widely considered one of Scotty's worst and makes something awesome out of it...I dig it!

I haven't given up on this project, I'm just a bit of an, ummm, idiot.

I did a light brush with a Scotch Brite pad to take some of the glare out of the finish, which turned out great, then added a white paintfill. All good with that part of the process.

38425838106_db17fb11ff_b.jpg

38481632671_8626436208_b.jpg

24609712078_591f9c42eb_b.jpg

Then came time to make the copper insert. I bought some copper stock off of Amazon, which looks great with one exception - I really messed up on the size that I ordered. The height was perfect for the insert, and I could cut it to the proper length that I needed, but the "depth of the insert compared to what's needed to sit flush in the head was WAY off. Way too big. Here's where it stood after getting the insert the right shape to fit the head, you can see what I'm dealing with.

38481632891_402dacabe2_b.jpg

38450042972_f0aae2134a_b.jpg

38425839276_c082044b9a_b.jpg

WHOOPS. I had planned on sanding the copper down to sit flush with the face, but this has required way more work than I thought. It's getting there, hope to have some time to work on it this weekend.

38481632831_0dfcb7d474_b.jpg

I did a light brush with a Scotch Brite pad to take some of the glare out of the finish, which turned out great, then added a white paintfill. All good with that part of the process.

38481632891_402dacabe2_b.jpg

I've been watching flat stock on ebay. You can get a piece of 1" x 3" x 6" c110 flat stock for about $23-$32.

I want to have my insert pocket recut to fit a insert similar to the current Select line.

v2RpyqF.png?1

Then have either a piece of Mokume or Copper machined to cover the cavity, like a Machine putter would have.

8h2tY6S.jpg?1

Here is my Newport 2 from start to current, but like you I have more work to do and took on other projects and put this on the back burner.

When I first picked it up, it literally looked like someone had drug it down a gravel road behind a truck.

WSEOO98.jpg?1

5GJ1EIE.jpg?1

kUdXhfq.jpg?1

After some basic metal work.

pAYUGkj.jpg?1

oTUtvg8.jpg?1

4sh1hKP.jpg?1

bRoGPBw.jpg?1

nyrRDQj.jpg?2

wzKvNdr.jpg?1

vLGPKUb.jpg?1

gbfGO9v.jpg?1

pcdlc2s.jpg?1

YLt5eNb.jpg?1

K0z0zhl.jpg?1

qFirGJP.jpg?1

At one point I did an initial polish, and then went over the top with a wire wheel mounted to a bench grinder. That gave it a more satin/brushed finish, but then I didn't like the kinda of shot peened look it had, so I polished back over the top.

693nPGI.jpg?1

VCGIiTB.jpg?1

TwohBqs.jpg?1

LUPLRNh.jpg?1

As was to be expected, I lost nearly all of the face milling during the metal refurb. I'm not too worried about this, as I'll have the face cut once with a cleanup pass a few thousandths of inch deep, then recut with a similar fine fly cut. I'm also not concerned with the lost weight of material removed, as plenty of copper will be going back on with the insert. Ultimately I intend to have a custom flow neck welded on.

I've been watching flat stock on ebay. You can get a piece of 1" x 3" x 6" c110 flat stock for about $23-$32.

I want to have my insert pocket recut to fit a insert similar to the current Select line.

Then have either a piece of Mokume or Copper machined to cover the cavity, like a Machine putter would have.

Here is my Newport 2 from start to current, but like you I have more work to do and took on other projects and put this on the back burner.

When I first picked it up, it literally looked like someone had drug it down a gravel road behind a truck.

At one point I did an initial polish, and then went over the top with a wire wheel mounted to a bench grinder. That gave it a more satin/brushed finish, but then I didn't like the kinda of shot peened look it had, so I polished back over the top.

As was to be expected, I lost nearly all of the face milling during the metal refurb. I'm not too worried about this, as I'll have the face cut once with a cleanup pass a few thousandths of inch deep, then recut with a similar fine fly cut. I'm also not concerned with the lost weight of material removed, as plenty of copper will be going back on with the insert. Ultimately I intend to have a custom flow neck welded on.

That's some really good progress! Here's a link to what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H9JS7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously you'll want like 1/4" thickness instead of 1/2". Sanding that copper down to the proper size has been a royal pain.

That's some really good progress! Here's a link to what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H9JS7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously you'll want like 1/4" thickness instead of 1/2". Sanding that copper down to the proper size has been a royal pain.

I had actually looked at a larger piece of stock, as I have a friend whose father is a machinist. So it was my intention to have the copper milled to the appropriate shape and thickness, while still having enough leftover to do the cavity insert in the rear.

Almost done! Finally got the insert to size, would prefer to not mention how long it took. Still needs some finishing touches and I'd like to find a better solution for the screws in back, but I wanted something to make sure it set in the proper place. I'll probably end up doing a complete white paint fill of the copper showing from the back since I didn't finish the back of the insert in a way where I'd really want it to show.

38531324761_67323f803a_b.jpg

38531324781_42fd8ec867_b.jpg

what a great project! What's the final head weight of the putter at this point?

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra F8+[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra AMP 18[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Bridgestone J40 Combo [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MP3 52/58[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]
[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif"]Vice Pro +[/font]

Not sure, I do intend to weigh it. The weight of the copper insert was a lot more than I expected compared to the standard detour insert.

Also - I figured I'd utilize the power of the forums and ask for some tips on the rear screws. I need something with a large head to cover those holes that were drilled out, but only 3/8" or even 1/4" in length. Any suggestions?

Not sure, I do intend to weigh it. The weight of the copper insert was a lot more than I expected compared to the standard detour insert.

Also - I figured I'd utilize the power of the forums and ask for some tips on the rear screws. I need something with a large head to cover those holes that were drilled out, but only 3/8" or even 1/4" in length. Any suggestions?

I forget the diameter/gauge but I would recommend looking here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-flat-head-screws/=1ac6w61

I recommend something zinc plated to resist corrosion, and in an undercut profile to keep the head as flush as possible to the cavity and ideally, out of sight at address.

I forget the diameter/gauge but I would recommend looking here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-flat-head-screws/=1ac6w61

I recommend something zinc plated to resist corrosion, and in an undercut profile to keep the head as flush as possible to the cavity and ideally, out of sight at address.

I'd love to do some kind of undercut screw, as they are visible at address, but unfortunately due to my mangling of the back of the head I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'd love to do some kind of undercut screw, as they are visible at address, but unfortunately due to my mangling of the back of the head I'm not sure if that's possible.

While the screw head itself may not cover the entire hole, you may be able to do so via combining an undercut screw AND a thin washer.

Wow, great handmade work. I used CNC, and see the drill bit wandered a bit on yours. The key is to use a 9/64" bit, which fits right into the buttonhead bolt. Then drill until the head spins. Once you do both sides, the old insert knocks right out.

Hey Spry, cool to see you in here! Thanks for the advice... I might have another one on the way to make use of the extra supplies that I have, and hope to learn from this first one!

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have the final headweight of this putter with copper insert?

I'll pull mine and measure it, one sec.

Pretty surprised by the weight, honestly. I would have guessed 350-360.

24256421517_db0b1d89ec_b.jpg

I know that I'm not the first to do it, but I'm glad to see that people have been interested in this project!

If questions like this are frowned upon in here someone please let me know, but I have materials leftover from my first build that I was planning on using on a Newport 2.5 head that I have on the way with the intention of selling one of them to recoup some costs. Does anyone have input on what they think would be a far price point for one of these? The materials aren't overly expensive, but it is quite time intensive when making the insert from a raw block of milled copper. Any input would be appreciated!

Round two begins! The biggest improvement was that I was able to get the two insert screws out without some horrific drilling. Here are some progress pics:

As it came.

39219394511_94227f498c_b.jpg

25353586388_241aabf4c5_b.jpg

24357339307_fcbcaf824c_b.jpg

27443585829_6b215f607b_b.jpg

38343483585_b54fe3c90b_b.jpg

After getting all of the dings out. Sanded with the following grits: 60, 150, 320, 400, 600.

24369593877_eefe4bc8e2_b.jpg

38523879334_e58b35923e_b.jpg

38355816425_aaff627253_b.jpg

Then did 1500 and 2000 grit wetsand followed by a polish using Meguiar's metal polish and a Dremel.

27455585599_6575b9e7c5_b.jpg

24369594447_2732106ac4_b.jpg

39203000202_809ff530f1_b.jpg

25365721458_78b3d756a0_b.jpg

• 2 years later...

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread. I am in the middle of this project currently and have finished my sanding/buffing of the head. I also have the copper insert cut to fit the dimensions of the hole.

HOWEVER. The top line of the insert sticks out a bit because of the way the club is designed. If you look at the original insert, the top line is slightly thinner than the bottom so it makes sense that 1/4" thick piece of copper would be flush on the bottom but protrude a bit on the top.

Question: How did yall address this and get the copper insert to sit flush from top to bottom? I feel like its going to be an arduous task to sand down a gradient on the back of the insert?

Any tips?