Artisan Golf Wedges- Mike Taylor and the old "Oven" crew that made Tiger's clubs

easyyy

I teach at the range that shares property with artisan and Mike T was my first boss out of college years ago. With that I have a good relationship with them and have been down there quite a bit. In fact, I saw these wedges earlier this week. Send the boys a message and you will be very excited about the price. Mike told me a price this week and it was very reasonable. The putters and wedges are the best I have seen or felt and I am in staff with another OEM.

Thanks for chiming in. He told me that he had a good relationship with the facility next door. Must be nice to have a place like that next door. I am afraid I would be camped out there all day.

The putters look really good as well.

Richard, Did you talk to Mike in any great detail about the putters he's thinking of making available? Is it going to be like the wedges where you, I or any average equipment ho :pimp: can have Mike say make me my own personal 006 to spec? Or did you not really get into his business model that far?

I have talked to him a lot over the last couple of weeks. Over the years we have gotten to know each other and I respect his body of work so much.

They intend to go slow and deliberately. They are set on quality over quantity. He talks about a client as he talked in the past about his tour players. Each have their own customer number and product history. As you order a new wedge the specs and notes are preserved from teh last build.

The putters are made in the same shop and lead by John. Heard the feel like butter. I have inquired about getting one. Mike said that John would reach out to advise price and how they will proceed.

R

Nice, sounds good. wish these guys well and hopefully some nice quality golf equipment lies ahead.

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

I teach at the range that shares property with artisan and Mike T was my first boss out of college years ago. With that I have a good relationship with them and have been down there quite a bit. In fact, I saw these wedges earlier this week. Send the boys a message and you will be very excited about the price. Mike told me a price this week and it was very reasonable. The putters and wedges are the best I have seen or felt and I am in staff with another OEM.

Thanks for chiming in. He told me that he had a good relationship with the facility next door. Must be nice to have a place like that next door. I am afraid I would be camped out there all day.

The putters look really good as well.

Richard, Did you talk to Mike in any great detail about the putters he's thinking of making available? Is it going to be like the wedges where you, I or any average equipment ho :pimp: can have Mike say make me my own personal 006 to spec? Or did you not really get into his business model that far?

I have talked to him a lot over the last couple of weeks. Over the years we have gotten to know each other and I respect his body of work so much.

They intend to go slow and deliberately. They are set on quality over quantity. He talks about a client as he talked in the past about his tour players. Each have their own customer number and product history. As you order a new wedge the specs and notes are preserved from teh last build.

The putters are made in the same shop and lead by John. Heard the feel like butter. I have inquired about getting one. Mike said that John would reach out to advise price and how they will proceed.

R

I LOVE Mike in a real man crush golf club builder kinda way. I've ground a lot of wedges and started from raw blanks before. I really appreciate what he does and what he has done for golf equipment in general from a design perspective. Mike and Jeff Sheets ( Also in Texas ) are two of the MOST UNDERRATED people to ever work in the golf industry.

You also have to remember on top of the whole NIKE thing they were at one point known as Impact technologies, and would prototype all kinda of clubs. It Was Tom Stites company that NIKE bought and turned into Nike golf. Even Nick Price played a set of their blades ( tried for 15 minutes to find a pic of his old GD WITB with no luck ) he talks about them there. Its also why so many of their designs also had a lot of "Hogan" in them, especially around the hosel to top line transition - like I said I'm a golf club design nerd.

Sent an email yesterday, I am sure they got flooded, I will wait patiently, well worth it!!!!!

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Just an observation, these look similar to Machine putters. The interchangeable necks, bolted-on plates in the cavity, and even the single sight-dot look familiar.

I know those are commonly used things as well. Either way big fan of what they are doing, looks great.

Machinists is from Machine according to Linkedin...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Just an observation, these look similar to Machine putters. The interchangeable necks, bolted-on plates in the cavity, and even the single sight-dot look familiar.

I know those are commonly used things as well. Either way big fan of what they are doing, looks great.

Machinists is from Machine according to Linkedin...

Machinist worked at Nike for 12+ years and worked closely with David franklin. He went over and did some contract work for machine for a few months after Nike layoffs and before artisan.

Sent an email yesterday, I am sure they got flooded, I will wait patiently, well worth it!!!!!

They got hammered with emails and messages on instagram. The guy they have managing those accounts was over there today trying to get some direction from Mike about how to respond. Like I said earlier, this is going to be a slow trickle for a little while as Mike is still working on making sure he has his parts. Be patient.

Happy to say that I may have the first, custom personalized Artisan wedges. I was able to help Mike Taylor and John Hatfield get started. After they took over the Oven space, I received a 46, 50, 53 and two 56 (lower bounce, higher bounce). The even have my name on them. Used them in an amateur tournament last June. They feel different than any other wedges I have. And are very accurate on distance (for a high handicapper). The raw, kind of oil can finish is really nice!

They got hammered with emails and messages on instagram. The guy they have managing those accounts was over there today trying to get some direction from Mike about how to respond. Like I said earlier, this is going to be a slow trickle for a little while as Mike is still working on making sure he has his parts. Be patient.

They posted on IG about no wedges available to public til 2018. I messaged and got zero response. Message on IG shows it was seen but not responded to. Kinda disappointing for sure.

Being in the business they should know if you post wedge pics and send custom wedges to someone on wrx with intents of posting it then you will get requests from customers. If you can’t fulfill said requests they should’ve noted that up front. I understand they want to make sure they have everything in order but a timeline would be helpful. Two of my buddies want to be in line to get wedges. Anyone know when they will start the queue?

$875 starting price for their custom putters in 2018 per IG.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

They posted on IG about no wedges available to public til 2018. I messaged and got zero response. Message on IG shows it was seen but not responded to. Kinda disappointing for sure.

Being in the business they should know if you post wedge pics and send custom wedges to someone on wrx with intents of posting it then you will get requests from customers. If you can’t fulfill said requests they should’ve noted that up front. I understand they want to make sure they have everything in order but a timeline would be helpful. Two of my buddies want to be in line to get wedges. Anyone know when they will start the queue?

The wedges posted thus far have been done by Mike T and crew from older forging stock for players and friends that had prior relationships with them in order to both get feedback and give people an idea of custom capabilities. The guys will respond to the massive volume of emails, just please bear with them. As far as availability of new wedges and irons, Mike T is awaiting arrival of his new stock and wants to go about doing things the proper way with tolerances not normally seen and does not want to make promises to fulfill orders until knows can do so as promised. I understand different perspectives and opinions and respect yours, just hope this gives a bit of insight from my conversations with Mike T and I am quite sure some further clarification will be posted soon by Artisan crew on various social media outlets.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

$875 seems a bit high for a starting price. Easily can get a custom piece from multiple other custom putter makers at that price point. Wedges look amazing but that $875 has me worried about wedge price point.

Don't think you need to worry about price point on wedges from what I have heard so far. Putters are high because the material cost are high. They can trick these guys out as much as you want as well.

The wedges posted thus far have been done by Mike T and crew from older forging stock for players and friends that had prior relationships with them in order to both get feedback and give people any idea of custom capabilities. The guys will respond to the massive volume of emails, just please bear with them. As far as availability of new wedges and irons, Mike T is awaiting arrival of his new stock and wants to go about doing things the proper way with tolerances not normally seen and does not want to make promises to fulfill orders until knows can do so as promised. I understand different perspectives and opinions and respect yours, just hope this gives a bit of insight from my conversations with Mike T and I am quite sure some further clarification will be posted soon by Artisan crew on various social media outlets.

So if the ones currently being made are from old stock (most look like old nike blanks) then the new wedges may not look like ones posted in this thread?

So if the ones currently being made are from old stock (most look like old nike blanks) then the new wedges may not look like ones posted in this thread?

When Mike has his own blanks that he approves, he will be able to create pretty much anything. The catch-all is him acquiring blanks that meet and/or exceed his standards for upcoming product. nothing more. I feel that you are greatly over-complicating this.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

Although might have left out last sentence Don Svo posted, the rest of his post is correct. Mike T and the crew at Artisan will have more than enough options available to suit needs of players, more details about options will be forthcoming in near future. Numerous options are under development and consideration hence the repeated social media presence stating "coming soon" and requesting feedback on work posted thus far.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

VcB3mhx.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Man i hope the guys saying earlier that the wedge prices were "reasonable" don't think that a stock putter base price of 875 is also "reasonable"

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Man i hope the guys saying earlier that the wedge prices were "reasonable" don't think that a stock putter base price of 875 is also "reasonable"

I hear ya. I would never overpay for a wedge and didn't even hesitate to get in line after my bud at Artisan talked $.

The putters are a different animal entirely and, assuming you a person who likes going big on a putter, they will be worth the $875+. New technology plus tip top craftsmanship and custom...

Custom 0117 in the works. Can't wait!

TSR3 Tensei 1K White 60tx 

TM SiM2 Ti 15 Fuji Ventus Black 7x
TSR2 21 Tensei AV White 85tx
Artisan FC 4, HC 5-7, MB 8-pw DG TI 120 X-100 
Artisan "MT" Raw  52, 56 & 60
Artisan "Texas Crude" SS Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan "Oxidado" Carbon Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan SS Mid-Slant 0117

Pro V1

When Mike has his own blanks that he approves, he will be able to create pretty much anything. The catch-all is him acquiring blanks that meet and/or exceed his standards for upcoming product. nothing more. I feel that you are greatly over-complicating this.

Just asking questions. Appreciate the answer.

For a starting price of $875 I’d expecf a better fit/finish than the strange gapping on the cavity insert.

Higher gap on bottom left side of cavity than on right side. And the corners don’t match well either.

High price brings high expectations and rightfully so.

Check the two newer putters in their most recent putter picture. Gapping appears to be gone. Pretty sure that pic you posted was not a finished model but still a working prototype.

For a starting price of $875 I’d expecf a better fit/finish than the strange gapping on the cavity insert.

Higher gap on bottom left side of cavity than on right side. And the corners don’t match well either.

Check the two newer putters in their most recent putter picture. Gapping appears to be gone. Pretty sure that pic you posted was not a finished model but still a working prototype.

They should take that pic down then if it’s not indicative of current product quality because that isn’t gonna cut it for $875 for most people. The angle of the newer pic doesn’t make it possible to verify the problem is fixed to be honest. I’ve seen it.

They should take that pic down then if it’s not indicative of current product quality because that isn’t gonna cut it for $875 for most people. The angle of the newer pic doesn’t make it possible to verify the problem is fixed to be honest. I’ve seen it.

First you should get familiar with the custom putter world. $850 isn't expensive. It's all relative.

2nd off. What you are looking at is a prototype. Collectors pay MORE for flaws and oddities like this. Double stamps , finish irregularities. One offs etc. instead of picking nits maybe just enjoy that one of the most talented builders in the game is working again. And working on reasonably priced items that can be custom built to your wants. ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For a starting price of $875 I'd expecf a better fit/finish than the strange gapping on the cavity insert.

Higher gap on bottom left side of cavity than on right side. And the corners don't match well either.

They should take that pic down then if it's not indicative of current product quality because that isn't gonna cut it for $875 for most people. The angle of the newer pic doesn't make it possible to verify the problem is fixed to be honest. I've seen it.

First you should get familiar with the custom putter world. $850 isn't expensive. It's all relative.

2nd off. What you are looking at is a prototype. Collectors pay MORE for flaws and oddities like this. Double stamps , finish irregularities. One offs etc. instead of picking nits maybe just enjoy that one of the most talented builders in the game is working again. And working on reasonably priced items that can be custom built to your wants.

Except these aren't custom putters. They are stock putters that start at 875.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

For a starting price of $875 I'd expecf a better fit/finish than the strange gapping on the cavity insert.

Higher gap on bottom left side of cavity than on right side. And the corners don't match well either.

They should take that pic down then if it's not indicative of current product quality because that isn't gonna cut it for $875 for most people. The angle of the newer pic doesn't make it possible to verify the problem is fixed to be honest. I've seen it.

2nd off. What you are looking at is a prototype. Collectors pay MORE for flaws and oddities like this. Double stamps , finish irregularities. One offs etc. instead of picking nits maybe just enjoy that one of the most talented builders in the game is working again. And working on reasonably priced items that can be custom built to your wants. ��

Except these aren't custom putters. They are stock putters that start at 875.

These aren't stock. You get to pick the hosel, the sight line, the loft, the finish, the stamping, the face milling and I am sure there are a couple other things I am missing.