KBS S-Taper shafts

ddetts

OK three rounds with the S Taper coming from 120 modus. Best shaft I have ever played hands down....

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am building a set with staper 125 and same head weights they came out about 3 points less than DG 120 x100.

iv been wrong before :) thanks for the clarification. this may be the reason im not a fan of DG's more heft low must make the club feel loose to me.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Yes. But 105x is not the same feel (105x is harder) and if recall well the 105 produced a higher launch than the $-taper. 120 is a strange shaft imho.

$-taper is better compared to KBS Tour without the spin but with Shimada feel.

Please understand that these comparisons are all pretty subjective.

I have played both the 120 and the 105 in X flex. The 120 have been better for me albeit in different heads. Ive never hit the Shimada in anything. Dont

they make fishing reels or something too?

Seriously considering trying the $ Tapers; I have played the C Taper Lites in stiff with pretty good results but didn't really like the feel--I like the fact that the R+ flex option is available also, as I usually fall between a R and S flex in most shafts....

PXG Gen2 0811XF LIN-Q Purple stiff

Mizuno STX 5W Fujikura Motore F3 70 stiff

Ping G425 4H Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 reg

PXG Gen 3 P 5-AW Accra i80 stiff

PXG  Forged 55* Accra i80 stiff

Cleveland CBX 2 Full Face 60* * 64*

PXG One & Done P2 Reflex Tour grip

Golf Pride Microsuede

Seriously considering trying the $ Tapers; I have played the C Taper Lites in stiff with pretty good results but didn't really like the feel--I like the fact that the R+ flex option is available also, as I usually fall between a R and S flex in most shafts....

do it you will love them, sooo good....

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

• 1 month later...

I have a set of $-tapers right now and love them, I have never hit PX on the course so I really can't say anything to it. I have hit the Tours in X, I loved the feel of the Tours but they ballooned on me. I also hit the C-Tapers in S+ which I liked very much and even though the feel was nice I liked the feel of the Tours better. With the $-Tapers in X I don't get the ballooning and they feel fantastic. Spin numbers from C-Tapers S+ to $-Taper X I would say I get slightly more spin with the $-Tapers and not really that noticeable.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

I have a set of $-tapers right now and love them, I have never hit PX on the course so I really can't say anything to it. I have hit the Tours in X, I loved the feel of the Tours but they ballooned on me. I also hit the C-Tapers in S+ which I liked very much and even though the feel was nice I liked the feel of the Tours better. With the $-Tapers in X I don't get the ballooning and they feel fantastic. Spin numbers from C-Tapers S+ to $-Taper X I would say I get slightly more spin with the $-Tapers and not really that noticeable.

Any comparison to Tour Vs and $ taper flex wise? I have Tour Vs in S+ too so I’m thinking $ in x would be ok. Just concerned about the extra bit of weight over the course of a round.

OK so the PVD finish on my shafts is already wearing horrible after 4 rounds!!!!! I spoke to a highly reputable club head shaft finisher and he said they probably went the low quaility PVD route on this shafts? I know black will wear but this is worst than their old finish..

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

OK so the PVD finish on my shafts is already wearing horrible after 4 rounds!!!!! I spoke to a highly reputable club head shaft finisher and he said they probably went the low quaility PVD route on this shafts? I know black will wear but this is worst than their old finish..

Any pics of the wear to share? I was looking into the pvd, but no if they wear that quickly at $55 a shaft.

I would post pics but have zero success getting pics on this site, hell I cannot even get an avatar pic...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Any pics of the wear to share? I was looking into the pvd, but no if they wear that quickly at $55 a shaft.

+1 for the same reason

I would post pics but have zero success getting pics on this site, hell I cannot even get an avatar pic...

Add as attachment or photobucket. Pretty easy

always says file too big? I will give it another go tonight. I am not sure how well it will show on pics as it is not worn to steel but almost like a layer of two of the black?

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Add as attachment or photobucket. Pretty easy

always says file too big? I will give it another go tonight. I am not sure how well it will show on pics as it is not worn to steel but almost like a layer of two of the black?

U have too many attachments from previous posts. Go to your media and delete.

Or don't upload to GolfWRX and just reference the image directly from Photobucket

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I've had a 3 iron with the black PVD shaft for over 2 months now and zero issues with the finish.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Any comparison to Tour Vs and $ taper flex wise? I have Tour Vs in S+ too so I’m thinking $ in x would be ok. Just concerned about the extra bit of weight over the course of a round.

For some people extra weight will have a tiring cost. I have a 2-PW set of irons with Tour V 110 Tour Spec "S+ =125", also Tour S+ (125) and test shafts in S-Taper and C-Taper in S+ (125) Its likely I am older but 125 weight doesn't both me, and I just played near daily for 14 days. My current 5,4,3 & 2 iron shafts are 5/125g-2/129g. I just didn't like how the tips felt of Tour V and $-Taper "S+" shafts. Also didn't like $50 per shaft. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Agreed Pepper. I play the Tour V in my wedges and like them a lot. The Tour V in my buddy's setup felt good for me. I got a new set of Tour V S+ for a steal. The KBS $ didn't do it for me...not in stiff flex anyways and I wasn't going to pay $50+ a shaft either plus reshafting. If the Tour V's don't work out I'm going back to PX 6.0.

Does anybody have any experience or information on these? There's seems to have been little information or fanfare surrounding them. They're currently shown on The Golf Works under KBS shafts but I don't see any information for them on KBS's website.

https://www.golfwork...hafts/p/FS0050/

They're not cheap at $55 a shaft

From The Golf Works site:

KBS S-Taper Chrome .355" Iron Shafts

Features:

• Engineered to provide superior feel while maintaining shot workability for players seeking a mid-launch and low to mid spin shaft.
  • Shares the same bend profile as the KBS Tour shafts only with elongated step patterns to control spin, generating stable performance throughout the swing.
  • Chrome finish featuring a 360 degree cured decal for lasting durability.

Don't play anything other than the C-Taper

Agreed Pepper. I play the Tour V in my wedges and like them a lot. The Tour V in my buddy's setup felt good for me. I got a new set of Tour V S+ for a steal. The KBS $ didn't do it for me...not in stiff flex anyways and I wasn't going to pay $50+ a shaft either plus reshafting. If the Tour V's don't work out I'm going back to PX 6.0.

Its funny, I really hoped KBS shafts would work but as it turned out I wasted a bunch of money. The reason I do not like changing shafts. Also learned KBS shafts, for the most part, are mid-high-mid to low bend shafts, except for C-taper. Sometimes hit them longer than my current PX shafts too. However, they had more dispersion but feel nice at impact. Good luck on finding the right fit. :beach:

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Its funny, I really hoped KBS shafts would work but as it turned out I wasted a bunch of money. The reason I do not like changing shafts. Also learned KBS shafts, for the most part, are mid-high-mid to low bend shafts, except for C-taper. Sometimes hit them longer than my current PX shafts too. However, they had more dispersion but feel nice at impact. Good luck on finding the right fit. :beach:

Pepper you say the 120 $-Taper was too soft? As in softer than your flighted PX 6.0's? I've had the most success with PX shafts but I choose to sacrifice a shot a round dispersion wise for feel in my irons, which PX flighted has IMO over standard PX but not as much as any KBS I've gamed, however Tour has noodle feel and I've never gamed 125 outside of C-Taper which was like 6.5 PX to me and a little too much to swing if I wasn't playing and practicing constantly.

Pepper you say the 120 $-Taper was too soft? As in softer than your flighted PX 6.0's? I've had the most success with PX shafts but I choose to sacrifice a shot a round dispersion wise for feel in my irons, which PX flighted has IMO over standard PX but not as much as any KBS I've gamed, however Tour has noodle feel and I've never gamed 125 outside of C-Taper which was like 6.5 PX to me and a little too much to swing if I wasn't playing and practicing constantly.

IMO - yes. I am speaking specifically of the butt section. PX flighted 6.0 shafts have relatively stiff butt sections. If I recall, shafts are a combo of soft and hard stepped PX, plus standard PX 6.0 in 7/6 iron, all of which fit my mechanics. Though flighted, they are not typical for flighted which usually get lighter in longer shafts. For instance, PX Flighted 6.0 shafts are heavier in long irons, 129g in 2i and gradually become lighter down to 117g in 9/PW, making shorter irons rather stiff feeling.

I had hoped that wouldn't be the case with KBS $Taper but the only KBS shaft I liked was C-Taper. Just not enough to spend the money, after already spending $$$ on shafts sets to test. They are really nice shafts though. I wasn't sure how I felt about the brushed satin look too.

KBS shafts do feel nice when smacked well but from my experience, they need a full nice tempo backswing. My backswing never reaches parallel to the ground and has a slightly faster than normal tempo and transition. Also, it feels as if soft butt sections don't work well with my fast hands through impact. Anyhow, I wish you well finding the right shafts. :beach:

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

IMO - yes. I am speaking specifically of the butt section. PX flighted 6.0 shafts have relatively stiff butt sections. If I recall, shafts are a combo of soft and hard stepped PX, plus standard PX 6.0 in 7/6 iron, all of which fit my mechanics. Though flighted, they are not typical for flighted which usually get lighter in longer shafts. For instance, PX Flighted 6.0 shafts are heavier in long irons, 129g in 2i and gradually become lighter down to 117g in 9/PW, making shorter irons rather stiff feeling.

I had hoped that wouldn't be the case with KBS $Taper but the only KBS shaft I liked was C-Taper. Just not enough to spend the money, after already spending $$$ on shafts sets to test. They are really nice shafts though. I wasn't sure how I felt about the brushed satin look too.

KBS shafts do feel nice when smacked well but from my experience, they need a full nice tempo backswing. My backswing never reaches parallel to the ground and has a slightly faster than normal tempo and transition. Also, it feels as if soft butt sections don't work well with my fast hands through impact. Anyhow, I wish you well finding the right shafts. :beach:

I'm glad to be going with 125 SSx1 then. Going to give C-Taper Lite a shot in my MP18 Fli Hi 4 iron and see what happens too. I just have a thing for black shafts. Inspires confidence. Quite honestly wouldn't stray too far away from LZ or Modus 120 if they offered a black finish option. Got Will Peoples building me a JPX 900 Tour 7 iron with $ Taper this week to get the real story for myself.