Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

Dude come on, we know the game at least...relish the facts.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Because they do not have to produce their claimed yardages live in front of anyone.

Because in their mind they think it will sound cool if they type in exaggerated distances.

Me?

I have never done that. I have been a short knocker since I started this game in 1977.

My yardages for example are currently 240 with driver and 165 with a 5 iron.

But I do drain 4 out of 5 twenty five foot down hill double breaker putts on the reg. lol

Im 66 and these are my yardages too. I enter every comp Im eligible in our club. About 5 good players knock it past me. Plus a couple more who do it may be once, while shooting 99.

As somebody once said. Hit it as far as you like, you will still have a left to right 3 footer.

That's pretty impressive for 66 sir. My dad is the same age and he's nowhere near that long with his driver. He hit a simulator for the first time ever today. Two things happened. His kid (me) that he thought was an absolute mashing ape who always hit it 320+ (despite the ape telling him that it only went 275) only actually hits it around 275 on average and his (dads) best strikes don't go the 250 he thought but may occasionally get to 220, average of maybe 205 or so. On well struck shots. Those things can be harsh the first time you see real numbers and you're not playing the "this hole is 400 and I'm 150 out" game of 250 yard drives. I've tried to talk him into playing shorter tees for a while now and he finally today said "I don't see how I can par par 4's that are over 400 yards". Next year I'll bet he takes me up on the offer of the next tee box up more often. He played a few courses this year that don't lie about their yardages, I.e. If it says it's 420 it actually is and not 380 like most. He had a pretty miserable time on those courses. He's an intelligent man too and he genuinely thought he was a 250 yard driver. I tried to dissuade him of that notion as gently and as respectfully as I could but seeing real numbers for the first time is pretty sobering and humbling. He did say at one point, well...I guess you were right.

From another perspective too on the simulator. My 12 year old today hit 22 straight drives that all went from 165-178 without being more than 10 yards from the center line. Most ended up within 2 yards. My sprays were in an arc that ranged from 30 lards left to 20 yards right. His grouping would have made a marine marksmen proud. He's remarkably consistent and if he's not beating me at least occasionally by the end of next year I'll be surprised. Once he can get it to 200 with that consistency I won't stand a prayer. Maybe he'll get gangly and lose touch during puberty? If so I might be able to beat him another few years. I can see the writing on the wall with him though. With luck maybe he can be my scramble partner.

Because they do not have to produce their claimed yardages live in front of anyone.

Because in their mind they think it will sound cool if they type in exaggerated distances.

Me?

I have never done that. I have been a short knocker since I started this game in 1977.

But I do drain 4 out of 5 twenty five foot down hill double breaker putts on the reg. lol

Im 66 and these are my yardages too. I enter every comp Im eligible in our club. About 5 good players knock it past me. Plus a couple more who do it may be once, while shooting 99.

As somebody once said. Hit it as far as you like, you will still have a left to right 3 footer.

That's pretty impressive for 66 sir. My dad is the same age and he's nowhere near that long with his driver. He hit a simulator for the first time ever today. Two things happened. His kid (me) that he thought was an absolute mashing ape who always hit it 320+ (despite the ape telling him that it only went 275) only actually hits it around 275 on average and his (dads) best strikes don't go the 250 he thought but may occasionally get to 220, average of maybe 205 or so. On well struck shots. Those things can be harsh the first time you see real numbers and you're not playing the "this hole is 400 and I'm 150 out" game of 250 yard drives. I've tried to talk him into playing shorter tees for a while now and he finally today said "I don't see how I can par par 4's that are over 400 yards". Next year I'll bet he takes me up on the offer of the next tee box up more often. He played a few courses this year that don't lie about their yardages, I.e. If it says it's 420 it actually is and not 380 like most. He had a pretty miserable time on those courses. He's an intelligent man too and he genuinely thought he was a 250 yard driver. I tried to dissuade him of that notion as gently and as respectfully as I could but seeing real numbers for the first time is pretty sobering and humbling. He did say at one point, well...I guess you were right.

Its tough. I monitor my yardages with gps. Our group are mainly my age. One is 72, plays off 6 and shot his age a couple of times last year. I can still flight a 2 iron but hes starting to struggle, his long iron gaps are bunching up. We still play off the backs whenever they are open and never enter the senior comps. One day soon we will have to admit it and move forward but its a tough thing to admit to yourself. I see where your dads coming from, hes gonna need your support.

?‍♂️

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

Great post......If it was true. Since what you say is completely wrong, I guess the post is not so great after all.

Not everyone. :-)

I have never made such claims, of course I believe that one’s internet persona and “real life” persona should be one and the same.

If there are people who make the claims you suggest, I don’t know what they get out of it. They know the claims aren’t true, and any complements they receive as a result of such aggrandizement ring hollow anyway.

Me?

Its tough. I monitor my yardages with gps. Our group are mainly my age. One is 72, plays off 6 and shot his age a couple of times last year. I can still flight a 2 iron but hes starting to struggle, his long iron gaps are bunching up. We still play off the backs whenever they are open and never enter the senior comps. One day soon we will have to admit it and move forward but its a tough thing to admit to yourself. I see where your dads coming from, hes gonna need your support.

Reading this reminded of a casual competition I played in a few weeks back. One chap I was paired up with had turned 70 that very day, and was therefore able to play off the gold tees. Now, on most holes these were about 50 yards forward of the white tees we were playing off, but on the par fives it was more. One par 5 from the white tees was 500 yards; from the golds it was 340! This chap was actually pretty long. I would say he was getting around 220~230 from his drives (he used to play a lot of softball, apparently. Maybe that helped). On the par 5 I just mentioned he was hitting driver and short iron....

Also, that same par 5 was the long drive hole. Someone ahead of us had hit it up to the red marker than denoted 100 yards from the green edge. I'm guessing it was someone from the gold tees, rather than someone from the white tees hitting it 400 yards.

300+ off the tee? 3 wood or driver?

BRB, I need to go make a post in the self brag thread

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I made the post about claims of hitting long because if you read some of the posts thru out the forum the describe it like they could tee it up with the pros on tour. " I cut the corner with my driver 300+ hit my wedge into the green on a par 4 450 yard hole. " I think with that why are they posting here. Should be on tour.

Piretti Savona 

There are a few at my course. I find their V1s in my yard

There are a few short hitters at my course. I find their V1’s in the deep grass between the tips and the senior tees.

Piretti Savona 

The only time I hit it 300yds is on frozen ground. That ball just rolls forever. Normally, 230. I believe many in the forum do hit it 300 yds, as there are some very good golfers in here.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

No doubt plenty are 300 hitters.

But, (for most golfers) there is an inverse relationship between distance and accuracy. The harder they try to hit the ball, the less accurate their targeting.

I'm sure there are players who trade accuracy for distance, just as their are ones that trade distance for accuracy.

I made the post about claims of hitting long because if you read some of the posts thru out the forum the describe it like they could tee it up with the pros on tour. " I cut the corner with my driver 300+ hit my wedge into the green on a par 4 450 yard hole. " I think with that why are they posting here. Should be on tour.

Hit it far = Tour material

Nice. you've somehow found a way to replace "everyone on wrx claims to hit it 300" as the most ridiculous thing in this thread.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I think it’s true that this site attracts better than average golfers, but I also think the anonymity of the Internet encourages some extra gumption. That said, I’m a 300 hitter, and I play with a number of other consistent 300 yard knockers. With modern technology, it’s not like we’re talking about finding Bigfoot.

9* Taylormade Sim 2 with Ventus Black 7x

15* Taylormade Sim 2 with Tensei Pro Blue 80tx

Mizuno Fly-Hi 3,4,5 iron Project X 6.5

Mizuno MP-5, 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115x

Titleist Vokey 50*, 54* with Project X 6.5

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* with Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

I'd give up 15 feet of made putts per round for 10 extra yards

I would be opposite, I would give up 10yds for more made putts!

[b] Cally Rogue SZ [/b]9* Diamana Ilima 60x
[b] TM m2 HL - proforce v2 96gx
[b] Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro 3-pw TI S400
[b] Callaway MD3 52/10 TI S400 Callaway MD3 58/10 PM grind TI S400
[b] TM Spider Tour CS
Ball of the week

Studies have shown that 6 out of 10 forum friends that wear backwards hats drive it 300+ yards on regular basis.

• 2 of the remaining 4 forum friends leave garbage adjacent to the receptacle and drive it around 280
  • 1 forum friend refuses to rake bunkers and drives it 270
  • The final forum friend drives it around 250 but tells his wife and others he averages 265-270

Idk about all that man. I️ personally know several guys under 5’9 who take it 300 multiple times per round. Also, when my cousin was transitioning out of pro ball we finally got him golfing and it took at most 2 months of playing and practicing to be 300+ on a good strike. Amongst competitive or former competitive golfers or former high level athletes it’s just not an uncommon thing. Why would you not expect there to be a higher occurrence of guys like that on this site?

Not that I’m really asking lol cause this is just an old fashioned troll-post if I’ve ever seen one

Good topic. I hit over 300 quite a bit this summer. At high elevation with extremely sloped fairways, everybody at my course thinks they are extreme long ball hitters until they play a course that gets rain. I'm guessing I only carry it 220-230 on a really good drive. Any time I go to a different course I am happy with anything around 240-250 after the bounce.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")