2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

DG Tour Issue X100 vs Modus Tour 125X

speeder757

For those that have hit both shafts can someone please compare for me?

Flex and stiffness between the two? (is the modus stiffer?) Ball Flight? Spin? Feel? EI Profile? (does the modus have a stiffer butt weaker mid?) Etc

I have hit the Modus 120X and 105X. Didn't care for the feel of the 105 but it could have been the lighter weight. Liked the 120 but the profile wasn't exactly perfect for me. I hit it high, spiny, and short especially in the shorter clubs. Longer clubs were great. Thinking of trying out the 125 or just go back to X100's which are tried and true for me. Love the Modus feel if i can just find a profile that performs as good or better than X100.

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are nearly identical. The Nippon has a barely stiffer tip and the profile is smoothed out a bit. People say the Nippon feels better. I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

The 105 is the same profile but they are lighter and about 1/3-1/2 flex less stiff.

TSi3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

TSr2+ 14.5* Tour AD DI 9x

TSi3 20* Hybrid Tour AD DI 115tx

u500 4, t100 5-PW, GW Dynamic Gold x100

SM8 54s, 60d Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Classic Newport 

They are nearly identical. The Nippon has a barely stiffer tip and the profile is smoothed out a bit. People say the Nippon feels better. I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

The 105 is the same profile but they are lighter and about 1/3-1/2 flex less stiff.

the reason you think the 105 is less stiff has more to do with the fact they swing weight heavier than the 120 or x100. a 105 in x is still x. *

*at least as i've been told. i have not CPM'd them personally.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

In all likelyhood, you're not going to find one that performs better or the same. Unless the bend profile is nearly the same. At that point, what have you gained, if for all intents and purposes it's the the same shaft. It won't feel better, if the bend profile is the same.

Steel shafts feel better or "smoother" to some, if somewhere along the bend profile is more flexible

I lost distance with the 125 over the x100. I think because I should have had them installed straight in instead of SSx1. Honestly you can't go wrong with x100. I always find myself wanting to go back to them.

Since moved on to KBS Tour V 125...go figure! HAHA!

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

I have both in a set of z965s (x100)and z765s (125x). My "feels" are that both shafts are smooth but the 125x is a little smoother and for me a little easier to swing/load. Also, for me, I find the 125x to spin a little less (on my skytrak).

But the main reason why I choose the 125x is that for whatever reason (that I can't explain), it's seems to me is much easier on my joints (elbows) after a long range session. If it wasn't for this, I'm not sure I'd have a clear winner.

In all likelyhood, you're not going to find one that performs better or the same. Unless the bend profile is nearly the same. At that point, what have you gained, if for all intents and purposes it's the the same shaft. It won't feel better, if the bend profile is the same.

Steel shafts feel better or "smoother" to some, if somewhere along the bend profile is more flexible

Good Point. i just like the impact sensation of Modus shafts a little better and i feel they dampen the vibration a little more. However the X100's just perform.

Interesting. The 125X has a stiffer tip than an X100? Is the shaft softer in another area? Also how are you getting on with the DG120?

I found the Modus to be much smoother than the X100s and much easier to swing. X100s feel like a sledge hammer to me.

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

Good Point. i just like the impact sensation of Modus shafts a little better and i feel they dampen the vibration a little more. However the X100's just perform.

A steel shaft on it's own, will only dampen vibration more...if the bend profile is softer.

Have you tried Prosoft Inserts? They work well for dampening and only add about 1g of weight, so they a few grams lighter than the Senisicore inserts

I would describe the difference like if you take a shaft that has a tour model and a retail model. The nippons just have a smoother and higher quality feel. Maybe the results could be the same but how do you want to get there? There's a reason that nippon shafts cost significantly more than the true tempers. They are japanese made with super tight specs and use high quality spring steel.

the reason you think the 105 is less stiff has more to do with the fact they swing weight heavier than the 120 or x100. a 105 in x is still x. *

*at least as i've been told. i have not CPM'd them personally.

The ei profile of the 105 X follows the same line but is softer than the 125 X. I can pull of the profiles when I am on a computer instead of my phone

TSi3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

Scotty Classic Newport 

Interesting. The 125X has a stiffer tip than an X100? Is the shaft softer in another area? Also how are you getting on with the DG120?

It might be a hair softer in the mid on paper but I couldn't tell. That might be where people are feeling it is more smooth.

The 120s are great. Same flight as dynamic gold. I hit a lot of range balls and the lighter weight is less fatigue.

I played x100 for 15 years and then the 125s for a year. For me I did not see the extra cost of the modus 125 worth it over x100.

TSi3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

Scotty Classic Newport 

• 3 weeks later...

I find the Modus to be a bit softer over all. The X100 is more stable for me. One thing I noticed is that every now and then I would get an almost flyer type shot with the Modus. It would feel like the shaft would randomly kick more than usual, very odd feeling. Since switching to the DG I've had much more consistent ball flight.

• 3 weeks later...

If i was fit into TI X100 SS x1 do i go Modus 125x straight in or also SS x1?

I tried the SPB in X. Feels super smooth but the counterbalanced is no good for me. The spb gets too light in transition and if thr 125 is a non CB SPB im in

If you fit best into DG X100 anything why the heck would you play Modus anything? Not even close to the same profile or weight

The modus 125 is said to have the exact profile as DG from what I've read. Some say it plays softer or smoother.

So if u dont know what youre saying please stay out.

Feel is subjective. How can something have the same profile but be different? Modus 125 is mid launch low spin butt soft and mid Stiff tip shaft. DG is heavier and stiffer - the launch profil of 120 Modus will be closer but the gram weighting and butt stiffness means it’s an entirely different shaft. Unless you know that you need to play DGX100 because of the heavy weight or simply because that’s the lowest launching x shaft the fitter had you really don’t know anything at all. Sounds to me like you’re chasing s rabbit down the hole and you’re the one who doesn’t know what’s going on. Since shaft flex isn’t constant between brands, shaft weight is usually the most important aspect of shaft fitting, period.

Actually, Modus 125 is butt stiff, softer mid and stiff tip.

http://nipponshaft.com/product/images/modus125_j.png

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

What onr mfr says is mid launch vs another saying low is relative. Hence im asking people who have hit both.

If you haven't and have nothing to contribute please stay out.

And on a side note the SPB is supposed to be a more of a mid launch per Nippon yet i find it launches lower and spins less then DG.

The Modus 125 is said to have an almost identical profile to the SPB except they have different treatments. Reviews say the modus spins a touch more.

The bigger difference is the SPB is counter balanced the modus 125 is not.

I love the feel and flex of the spb in X flex however the counterbalance is a no go for my aggressive transition. Also the SPB spun too little for me.

The SPB is also 100$ a shaft from any local fitter.

Based on what i know of my swing and needs and fittings the Modus 125 may be a perfect fit if its the SPB meets DG x100 unfortunately no one has one to try. Many say the 125 is a slightly smoother feeling DG. Some say its a little weaker to flex others say its true but its just its smoothness that makes it feel week. (Kinda like the spb X) in truth the spb X felt so smooth i was swinging a regular. Yet it handled anything i threw at it. But the CB of it doesnt work for me.

Hence my posts looking for info on the 125X. last i checked was the purpose of this forum.

Ok that makes no sense however im gonna assume you have a smoother ernie els swing.

The modus 130 should spin way way less then DG. Thr 130 launched high but about 1 to 2 degree more then DG but spun 1000 less.

Modus 120 are such a unique shaft. So butt soft. If i swing smooth they feel great still spun a fair amount but my normal swing they were spin machines.

Have u ever hit a SPB?

Ok that makes no sense however im gonna assume you have a smoother ernie els swing.

The modus 130 should spin way way less then DG. Thr 130 launched high but about 1 to 2 degree more then DG but spun 1000 less.

Modus 120 are such a unique shaft. So butt soft. If i swing smooth they feel great still spun a fair amount but my normal swing they were spin machines.

Have u ever hit a SPB?

Ha I wish! I have plenty of size which helps me create my speed but not sure about how Ernie Els like my swing is haha! I have hit SPB- everything Nippon is so smooth and feels like a reg to me. Have you hit Oban CT 115? Those are the same thing too so smooth. Do they make SPB in tour X like Modus or only X?