Long iron replacement for baby blades

bluejeeprubi

I haven’t been getting out as much as I would like and have not been consistent with the 4 and 5 iron baby blades, have a 3 but never seem to use it on the course. I’m not hitting them bad like hooks, slices etc just not quite catching them on the sweet spot and losing distance.

I’m not giving up on them but when I’m playing in decent money games, I just want something a little easier to hit. I’m sitting at a 5, but since I’m not playing as often I just want to hit the center of the green from 200-220 out. I don’t find myself using the 4 and 5 often, maybe one par 3 a round and going for it in two on some par 5s. I’m not looking for crazy workability just straight (I know straight is in the swing) with some distance forgiveness.

I have no brand preference, just nothing with crazy offset. Any suggestions or has anyone switched out their 4 and 5 baby blade for something easier?

I was looking at 716 t-mb but have zero experience with hollow clubs.

Thanks for any abs all input.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go CB-57 and don't think twice...

Baby Blades have one-of-a-kind feel and look.

If you get past the mental aspect of playing a cavity. The CB-57s emulate the Baby Blades in many characteristics very well.

As soon as I started incorporating CB-57s into my gamers, next thing I knew I was playing all CB-57s and no Baby Blades. LOL.

Best of luck!

Was just trying to find something quick off the bay. My schedule will lighten up in the spring and should get back into striking the bb long irons.

G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

I'm a BB user so allow me to recommend the Hogan FW Hi. It has a thicker topline than a blade but similar offset. Although it's a bit longer than the FW 15, it has the same blade length as the MP4 and 945. The Hi will definitely help you get the ball up--not quite as high as a hybrid, but noticeably higher than any blade or player's CB that I've ever hit.

This is an excellent club for those who need help hitting it higher, but prefer irons over hybrids.

Things are so hard to hit! I’ll only be messing around with them during rounds that don’t mean anything so I’m not much help. Can’t see a TMB or hollow iron though, think the cb57 or something of similar size makes sense.

The 7-P are cake to hit .... Now the 2-6, whole different ball game! LOL

I have a set with the CB57s and a set with CB202s for the 3 + 4 irons. I slightly prefer the CB202s, but it might just be because I've had them forever and am very comfortable with them.

Very cool!

I love the look of the 202 too! Always contemplated picking a set up to add to the artillery but when I find the set I like I ain't got the scratch to blow, happened to me twice. The last set I missed out on I really, REALLY kick myself over.

My Club Builder/Teaching Pro plays a similar set to you. He plays 202 in the 1 and 2 Iron (YES you read that correctly) and then Baby Blades in 3-P.

Things are so hard to hit! I’ll only be messing around with them during rounds that don’t mean anything so I’m not much help. Can’t see a TMB or hollow iron though, think the cb57 or something of similar size makes sense.

The 7-P are cake to hit .... Now the 2-6, whole different ball game! LOL

You got it. First time out this fall I was striking them well, almost made an ace first par 3, but then had 5 iron in on 7 from a bad lie in the rough. Good luck!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I have a set with the CB57s and a set with CB202s for the 3 + 4 irons. I slightly prefer the CB202s, but it might just be because I've had them forever and am very comfortable with them.

Very cool!

I love the look of the 202 too! Always contemplated picking a set up to add to the artillery but when I find the set I like I ain't got the scratch to blow, happened to me twice. The last set I missed out on I really, REALLY kick myself over.

My Club Builder/Teaching Pro plays a similar set to you. He plays 202 in the 1 and 2 Iron (YES you read that correctly) and then Baby Blades in 3-P.

I find the BB pretty playable down to the 5i - I have 202s in 3i-6i, but only use the 3 and 4.

I bought a 202 2i on eBay this year (to replace a TMB) but the seller flaked and I never got it :-(

Very cool!

I find the BB pretty playable down to the 5i - I have 202s in 3i-6i, but only use the 3 and 4.

I bought a 202 2i on eBay this year (to replace a TMB) but the seller flaked and I never got it :-(

BUMMER!

I like the 5, my e is spotty. I think the biggest issues is something that would not mess you up at address.....the biggest problem with the Bb's is they make clubs look wrong. No scientific explanation how you can strip Bb's on a range and grab a 7 iron of another iron and it not go as well and look wrong. I can play other sets, but not after looking down at Bb's, so in round and for money I think your requirements may need to be the offset factor you mentioned, as short heel to toe as possible and a boxy toe. If it has those factors you have a better chance in game to a 7 iron then a 4 iron of those.

I'm a BB user so allow me to recommend the Hogan FW Hi. It has a thicker topline than a blade but similar offset. Although it's a bit longer than the FW 15, it has the same blade length as the MP4 and 945. The Hi will definitely help you get the ball up--not quite as high as a hybrid, but noticeably higher than any blade or player's CB that I've ever hit. This is an excellent club for those who need help hitting it higher, but prefer irons over hybrids.

I echo what he said about the Ft Worth Hi. It blew me away how high and easy to hit this club is. I'm a blade player and cannot stand huge offset, and that limited me on this type of club. It doesn't have the pure blade feel, more of a solid crack. I honestly couldn't be happier with it.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

I played 27 holes today from the tips, just under 7300. Flushed my 4 and 5 bb without any issues. I think my ball position was sneaking back on me with the long irons. Kept it towards the from and seemed to be the ticket.

Money game tomorrow so that will be the true test. If it fails 23 ft worth hi will be purchased.

G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

I played 27 holes today from the tips, just under 7300. Flushed my 4 and 5 bb without any issues. I think my ball position was sneaking back on me with the long irons. Kept it towards the from and seemed to be the ticket.

Money game tomorrow so that will be the true test. If it fails 23 ft worth hi will be purchased.

Lol. Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, first post here. Wanted to drop a quick thank you to everyone who spent so much time and care posting about their experiences with the baby blades. I wanted them for a while and when I heard they were being discontinued I came here to research and needless to say you guys made pulling the trigger quite easy :) Deninny, Rebby, Bigmean, Raiders, MJisGoat, Op of this thread and a few more I'm forgetting. Thanks guys!

Onto my question. Any further insight on this topic? I'm a good player and enjoy the 3iron but there will definitely be times when I want a little more height than I get out of the BB when competing. Same goes for any blade I've played.

I actually have a ft worth hi 20 degree and honestly the thing performs great. My only major gripe is the offset. Although it's more than I prefer it isn't terrible on its own, but when you are coming from a BB 4iron it's just a huge contrast. My secondary gripe is they stop at 20 degrees. If I'm going to get a 3 iron replacement I would like to have the option to have a matching 2 iron (I have considered bending my 20 to 18 and ordering a 21 if I don't find anything better).

Are there any options you guys considered with less offset? I know I'm nitpicking and this is just part of playing BBs but I thought it might be worth asking. I want to get my hands on the MP 18 Fli hi as the offset seems pretty low on them and the loft options meet my needs. I figured you guys would have some JDM options that will cost me a whole bunch of money as well so any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You might want to look at the A Grind. My personal favorite is Yonex Ezone. I use an 18* as a 5W replacement with all my irons, Baby Blades included. I also have a 16* I may turn into a 3W replacement for some courses. My 20* is available, btw. ;) I haven't seen the Hogan up close so I don't know how the offset compares.

You are definitely one of the guys I forgot to thank regarding the BB info! Thank you.

That offset is definitely an improvement. Overall it's a bit more hybrid like than I was hoping for but it's far from a deal breaker. Feel free to send me the details about your 20* :)

Photo of BB 3i vs ft worth hi 20* for reference. Like I said it's not horrible just not ideal.

Hey guys, first post here. Wanted to drop a quick thank you to everyone who spent so much time and care posting about their experiences with the baby blades. I wanted them for a while and when I heard they were being discontinued I came here to research and needless to say you guys made pulling the trigger quite easy :) Deninny, Rebby, Bigmean, Raiders, MJisGoat, Op of this thread and a few more I'm forgetting. Thanks guys!

Onto my question. Any further insight on this topic? I'm a good player and enjoy the 3iron but there will definitely be times when I want a little more height than I get out of the BB when competing. Same goes for any blade I've played.

I actually have a ft worth hi 20 degree and honestly the thing performs great. My only major gripe is the offset. Although it's more than I prefer it isn't terrible on its own, but when you are coming from a BB 4iron it's just a huge contrast. My secondary gripe is they stop at 20 degrees. If I'm going to get a 3 iron replacement I would like to have the option to have a matching 2 iron (I have considered bending my 20 to 18 and ordering a 21 if I don't find anything better).

Are there any options you guys considered with less offset? I know I'm nitpicking and this is just part of playing BBs but I thought it might be worth asking. I want to get my hands on the MP 18 Fli hi as the offset seems pretty low on them and the loft options meet my needs. I figured you guys would have some JDM options that will cost me a whole bunch of money as well so any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The Honma TW-U FORGED has gotten some strong reviews as pairing well with the Baby Blades.

Also, you could always check out Miura's ICL601 Driving Iron, available in 18°, 20° and 23°. .... And I did get into a small conversation with Miura, in regards to a 26° Driving Iron, and they won't give up much information, but they are telling me I'll like it. So I don't know if that means they are expanding the ICL601 line OR if there is a new Driving Iron coming out in their 2018 Release. ... Take it for what it's worth.

You could also check out the new Callaway Driving Iron. Alot of people saying they nailed that one.

Thanks Raiders. I'll save the classic 350 talk for another thread but trust me I really want one. The modern day oem offerings really bother me.

I'll definitely check out the honmas thanks. Aesthetically they are beautiful and if people have been pairing them with BBs with success then it is probably worth a try. I really want to like the ICL but I have to admit I find it ugly from the address pictures online. Can't find much in the way of reviews either. With that said if it performs and it looks better to me in person I would definitely consider it. I just need to get my hands on one before being able to decide. I have a lot riding on my score being as low as possible this year so I can't let my full ho out even though I really want to. I'm looking to make these decisions before winter is over and then leaving my bag alone. Easier said than done ;)

Eta: Will also check out the Callaway, those look nice too!

Welcome and I really appreciate the thanks, because the fact is after not playing for 5 years with a back surgery, I got back into it, and I only found this place because when I broke 80 for the first time since coming back with my mizunos, I went to buy myself a new set as a treat and HATED everything at the PGA store. I was probably 8 years removed from new clubs and hype, and man I was ready to spend an left so disappointed. So I know how you feel with current "modern day offerings"....so I went home and googled "best blades golf irons" and finding wrx, and eventually finding Jdm and the Miuras was history. It was because others shared about the BBs here that I got the courage to try theM so I am happy to repay that favor. It sucks not to be able to try before buy, but man the offerings are so awesome and so welcome to what we see pushed here.

Anyway, That Hardest thing with the BBs is bookending them. I really struggled with wedges, and just finally last year got some I am really into. Hard when your 9 iron makes your 51 look like a driver. I finally found appropriate heads I like there that are big enough for rough misses but not out of place. As for low end, I stop at 4. I don't get the towering height I would like with it, which is weird because I flight the 5 great, but I hit it well and use it a lot. From there I go hybrid which took a lot of tries but finally I am comfortable with one. I think there is no easy answer, you will need a UDI type thing that is not crazy big. I have a roddio hybrid and it looks a bit weird with silver head and more offset than I would ideally have, but I hit it well an more important I can hit it towering. I guess I am saying, no easy answer but you need to compromise some because anything long that you are going to hit high is going to be a bit of a change of pace, an for me, a hybrid looking like a wood is an easier transition than an "iron" type club that looks so unlike the iron I am staring at all round. If that makes sense.

Welcome and I really appreciate the thanks, because the fact is after not playing for 5 years with a back surgery, I got back into it, and I only found this place because when I broke 80 for the first time since coming back with my mizunos, I went to buy myself a new set as a treat and HATED everything at the PGA store. I was probably 8 years removed from new clubs and hype, and man I was ready to spend an left so disappointed. So I know how you feel with current "modern day offerings"....so I went home and googled "best blades golf irons" and finding wrx, and eventually finding Jdm and the Miuras was history. It was because others shared about the BBs here that I got the courage to try theM so I am happy to repay that favor. It sucks not to be able to try before buy, but man the offerings are so awesome and so welcome to what we see pushed here.

Anyway, That Hardest thing with the BBs is bookending them. I really struggled with wedges, and just finally last year got some I am really into. Hard when your 9 iron makes your 51 look like a driver. I finally found appropriate heads I like there that are big enough for rough misses but not out of place. As for low end, I stop at 4. I don't get the towering height I would like with it, which is weird because I flight the 5 great, but I hit it well and use it a lot. From there I go hybrid which took a lot of tries but finally I am comfortable with one. I think there is no easy answer, you will need a UDI type thing that is not crazy big. I have a roddio hybrid and it looks a bit weird with silver head and more offset than I would ideally have, but I hit it well an more important I can hit it towering. I guess I am saying, no easy answer but you need to compromise some because anything long that you are going to hit high is going to be a bit of a change of pace, an for me, a hybrid looking like a wood is an easier transition than an "iron" type club that looks so unlike the iron I am staring at all round. If that makes sense.

Thats a great story! I don't think I would have been as motivated as I was to get them as immediately as I did without everyone's help here. I wanted them somewhat as a collectors item/practice tool originally and didn't really consider the idea of playing them in tournaments until reading everyone's experiences. Now I'm fully committed to playing them this season and hopefully for a few more:)

Regarding the hybrid idea it's honestly a good one and does make sense. It's like moving to a wood instead of a different and totally foreign iron. I have a couple hybrids I already get along well with. Long high and straight, which is for the most part a great thing. My issue is I haven't found one I'm the slightest bit comfortable working yet. I think a lot of that has to do with shaft and I've been considering doing more experiments with steel shafted hybrids but I still find it less than ideal overall. It's an option I'm going to consider for sure but I want to give the driving iron type club a full search before moving in that direction. It was pretty surprising but my favorite part of the ft worth hi is considering how high it goes (not hybrid high, but much higher than normal iron) it is very manueverable. I hit low cuts with it very frequently and I've completely given up on that type of shot with a hybrid. I'm still hashing out other options but the more research and thought I put into it the more I think keeping the ft worth hi is a sensible play.

Thanks again for your time and help!