Wilson Duo Soft

erock9174

Anyone finding these in stores yet ?

Pick up a box this morning at the PGA Tour Store. They had the white, yellow, green and pink in stock. No orange, red or white matte finish ones.

Went with the green, though the yellow looks really good. Really pops. In the summer when the grass is bright green, I think that would be the best choice.

To me, the green is the exact same color/shade as the green Volvik Vivid. I compared them side by side and I couldn't tell any difference.

In hand, the balls really look good. Love that the WS Shield is back on the ball.

The weather is crap here today, but it looks like I'll have the opportunity to get them on the course later next week.

Thanks for the info. My store only had the yellow and it was dull like the normal Duo yellow. I'll be gaming the green.

Good to know, The prior gen Duo yellow had a puke green color. Very disappointing.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a sleeve of the Optix yellow to try in cold weather (40-50°). They are super soft, like hitting air. I did find that the ball jumped off the putter face. It's almost silent, like a ninja assassin.

Driver: Adams 4G 12*
Wood: Adams Fast 10 18*
Hybrid: Ping Anser 20*
Irons: Wishon 550M 5-PW
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53
*/58*
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Good to know, The prior gen Duo yellow had a puke green color. Very disappointing.

I don't know what the heck you've been eating, but I would in no way define the Duo yellow as "puke green".

It’s not green looking at all. But the Duo yellow is not as bright as other yellows out there. That’s my gripe with it. The new optix yellow was no different. Still bland and blah. Hoping the green is brighter.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I did get to play 9 with these last week.

1. I like a soft ball and they are soft

2. I agree they are long and straight. I typically hit drives in the 220 to 240 range. My first drive on the First whole was 255. That is unusual for me

3. They were good around the greens, I'm no spinner of the ball, so I was happy with what I was getting

4. They do get dirty and are not as bright as I'd hoped.

Used vs unplayed, I didn't think to wipe it off during the round. Some of the dirt comes off, but they still look dull

This is a new one compared to the standard (non-optix) yellow Duo

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

The yellow chose is dull and not bright at all. I wouldn’t Game it. The green however is more Lime in color and much brighter in person. These pics were taken indoor but in the sunlight it looks much better imho.

I’ll try and snap a pic outside today.

1f0a05ce58dc01e1317fd7c98ed34f05.jpg

Compared to Vice Pro Soft Lime, Srixon Soft Feel and DT Trusoft

6e8a73d7c56819a1aa66a763795f979d.jpg

Ping 2023 Anser D

The yellow chose is dull and not bright at all. I wouldn’t Game it. The green however is more Lime in color and much brighter in person. These pics were taken indoor but in the sunlight it looks much better imho.

I’ll try and snap a pic outside today.

SRIXON has a nice yellow

I haven't found these in the stores yet--and they are even scarce online.

Anyone found them online at decent price? The best I've found is $20 each with free shipping if you spend $50 --- and I can't even remember where I found it.

I may just wait until the golf show in Jan/Feb. There is sure to be someone there who is happy to sell them at a discount.

I haven't found these in the stores yet--and they are even scarce online.

Anyone found them online at decent price? The best I've found is $20 each with free shipping if you spend $50 --- and I can't even remember where I found it.

I may just wait until the golf show in Jan/Feb. There is sure to be someone there who is happy to sell them at a discount.

My local stores only have the yellow. They're brand new so I doubt you're going to see them at a discount anytime soon unless they're a flop.

:) it's funny to me when you say a decent price. Compared to the balls I normally play I'm happy to only be paying 20$

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

:) it's funny to me when you say a decent price. Compared to the balls I normally play I'm happy to only be paying 20$

I'm looking for somewhere I can get 1 or 2 dozen for $20 each w/ no shipping. Right now, it looks like you are either paying $25 per dozen or else buying 3 dozen to eliminate the shipping cost.

I'm looking for somewhere I can get 1 or 2 dozen for $20 each w/ no shipping. Right now, it looks like you are either paying $25 per dozen or else buying 3 dozen to eliminate the shipping cost.

Last week Carl’s Golfland online had free shipping with no min purchase. That is where I got mine $19.99 with no tax either.

Ping 2023 Anser D

My local Academy store (Springfield, MO) had all Optix colors with the exception of red as well as the ladies matte white today. My daughter chose the pink and played 9with it this afternoon. She plays the Supersoft and said she prefers this ball to the Cally. They are very soft and quiet off all clubs. She played the same ball for 9 with no issues.

They also had several Cobra drivers, fairways, hybrids, and Fly-Z sets which is new for our Academy.

My local Academy store (Springfield, MO) had all Optix colors with the exception of red as well as the ladies matte white today. My daughter chose the pink and played 9with it this afternoon. She plays the Supersoft and said she prefers this ball to the Cally. They are very soft and quiet off all clubs. She played the same ball for 9 with no issues.

They also had several Cobra drivers, fairways, hybrids, and Fly-Z sets which is new for our Academy.

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about looking at my local Academy sports as they have done a big downgrade to the amount of golf goods they carry (especially golf balls). I'll check them out today and see.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I picked up a dozen green at PGASS. There are much more visible and brighter than the yellow. The yellow is quit dull.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Well so far the only ones I've been able to find were the white and the yellow. Been itching to try them so I bought the yellow.

My observations:

Driver: Like other super low compression balls, I had to adjust my driver 2 degrees weaker loft to keep the ball in the air. Once I did that though, my distance with this ball was comparable to any other ball I play. No major loss in distance at all. The fairways were soft and wet and I feel like this ball would get a lot of roll otherwise.

Woods: Only hit 2 fairway wood shots and neither one was my best swing. They reacted much like any ball would have.

Irons: This ball is fun to hit. Everything feels soft, like hitting a super bouncy ball from a gum machine. Very straight when hit straight but would still move when you tried to move them (not a lot). My one thing I'd worry about was that feedback was pleasant on almost every shot. Hard to tell if I was hitting them solid. Distance was there and plenty of spin on full shots. I liked hitting this ball.

Wedges: It surprised me. I hit at least three shots from around 75 yards that stuck and held where they landed. On shorter wedge shots they had some check. Nothing like a tour ball but it wasn't like a rock either. Now the one thing I'd say I saw that I didn't care for was this; I hit a few very short pitches slightly thin. When I did this ball fired off high and long.

Putter: ball feels softer than anything else I've ever putted. Seems to pop off the face. I liked the feel a lot.

Overall I really liked the feel of the ball. It played very straight. I can't say for certain, but a few of my shots almost seemed to knuckle in the air just a bit. My buddy did not care for the sound. To me sounded like a muted thud but didn't bother me at all. Yellow ball was easy to find. Does pick up dirt easily but you can clean it right off. This was a fun ball and exactly what I wanted it to be to play bump and run style winter golf.

Can't wait for the "red" to be available.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

The yellow chose is dull and not bright at all. I wouldn⤙t Game it. The green however is more Lime in color and much brighter in person. These pics were taken indoor but in the sunlight it looks much better imho.

I⤙ll try and snap a pic outside today.

Jeez, is there a unlike button anywhere. Wilson make great balls, but those :bad:

The yellow chose is dull and not bright at all. I wouldn⤙t Game it. The green however is more Lime in color and much brighter in person. These pics were taken indoor but in the sunlight it looks much better imho.

Jeez, is there a unlike button anywhere. Wilson make great balls, but those :bad:

I wasn’t a big fan of the green color indoors but outdoors they looked better to me. Seemed to make the green glow in the sun

Ping 2023 Anser D

Titleist going for that range ball yellow color I see

Well so far the only ones I've been able to find were the white and the yellow. Been itching to try them so I bought the yellow.

My observations:

Driver: Like other super low compression balls, I had to adjust my driver 2 degrees weaker loft to keep the ball in the air. Once I did that though, my distance with this ball was comparable to any other ball I play. No major loss in distance at all. The fairways were soft and wet and I feel like this ball would get a lot of roll otherwise.

Woods: Only hit 2 fairway wood shots and neither one was my best swing. They reacted much like any ball would have.

Irons: This ball is fun to hit. Everything feels soft, like hitting a super bouncy ball from a gum machine. Very straight when hit straight but would still move when you tried to move them (not a lot). My one thing I'd worry about was that feedback was pleasant on almost every shot. Hard to tell if I was hitting them solid. Distance was there and plenty of spin on full shots. I liked hitting this ball.

Wedges: It surprised me. I hit at least three shots from around 75 yards that stuck and held where they landed. On shorter wedge shots they had some check. Nothing like a tour ball but it wasn't like a rock either. Now the one thing I'd say I saw that I didn't care for was this; I hit a few very short pitches slightly thin. When I did this ball fired off high and long.

Putter: ball feels softer than anything else I've ever putted. Seems to pop off the face. I liked the feel a lot.

Overall I really liked the feel of the ball. It played very straight. I can't say for certain, but a few of my shots almost seemed to knuckle in the air just a bit. My buddy did not care for the sound. To me sounded like a muted thud but didn't bother me at all. Yellow ball was easy to find. Does pick up dirt easily but you can clean it right off. This was a fun ball and exactly what I wanted it to be to play bump and run style winter golf.

Nice review. I've had similar results with the orange. Very low spinning, low trajectory off the driver. May take your lead and loft up. When hit well it's as long as the MTB I play in warmer weather. When hitting irons, always felt like it came off like a rocket and feared I'd "over-pured" it but when I got to the green it was right on the yardage. Ball does not check on greens and you need to account for some roll-out. Found it to be a little hot off of my putter but once dialed in was a nice feel. Really like the way it stands out in the browned-out fairways and rough. Would like to have tried the red as well but with it not being available until February/March it will miss the cold weather season so maybe next year...

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

Anyone know if matte white "Ladies Version" is actually a different ball, or is it just the color scheme?

"The Women’s DUO Soft uses the same core at the standard DUO Soft, but the cover is slightly softer for more spin and an even higher flight trajectory." “It’s still lower spin and straighter flight than competitive balls,” says Simonutti. “The change is just to give an edge to women golfers, as most have lower swing speeds and would benefit more from a higher trajectory.”

My observations:

Nice review. I've had similar results with the orange. Very low spinning, low trajectory off the driver. May take your lead and loft up. When hit well it's as long as the MTB I play in warmer weather. When hitting irons, always felt like it came off like a rocket and feared I'd "over-pured" it but when I got to the green it was right on the yardage. Ball does not check on greens and you need to account for some roll-out. Found it to be a little hot off of my putter but once dialed in was a nice feel. Really like the way it stands out in the browned-out fairways and rough. Would like to have tried the red as well but with it not being available until February/March it will miss the cold weather season so maybe next year...

A follow-up to my review above. Played the ball this weekend for two more rounds. Granted temps were in the 50's, but noticed the ball just seemed to be dead off the driver and fairway woods. Iron shots seemed to fly on yardage more often than not (accounting to clubbing up in the colder weather). Can this be due to the lack of spin? I didn't try to loft up on the driver as noted above since distance loss was happening on the 3 wood as well. Anyone else seeing this? Really want to like this ball but these may get donated to the shag-bag...

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

My observations:

A follow-up to my review above. Played the ball this weekend for two more rounds. Granted temps were in the 50's, but noticed the ball just seemed to be dead off the driver and fairway woods. Iron shots seemed to fly on yardage more often than not (accounting to clubbing up in the colder weather). Can this be due to the lack of spin? I didn't try to loft up on the driver as noted above since distance loss was happening on the 3 wood as well. Anyone else seeing this? Really want to like this ball but these may get donated to the shag-bag...

I also got to play them this weekend. Both rounds the temps were in the 40's. What I've found works best for me was going back to my normal loft (8.5*), using a taller tee, and really concentrating on getting a positive angle of attack on the ball. I was getting average drive distances with them. Even compared them to my normal ball and really didn't see a big difference.

If anything I found myself really easing off my swing because of how good these feel coming off the face. Came up short a lot Sunday (it was colder and I was bundled up) but once I started trying, went right back to full distance.

I'd also add, I'm not having ANY problem moving these balls. Draws and cuts actually seem easier than my normal ball of choice.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I picked up a dozen each of green, orange, and pink. I have been playing Volvik Vivids because I like the colors, and I was hoping that these would be a cheaper replacement for them.

I played with all three colors last weekend on a course with plenty of brown rough and painted green fairways and greens--and quite a bit of sunshine. None of the colors were as visible as I thought they would be, but the orange was definitely the best of the three for visibility.

The DUO pink is terrible--very dull compared to the Volvik pink (and much harder to find).

The DUO orange is more comparable to the Volvik, but I don't have any orange Volvik's on hand to directly compare them to.

The DUO green is cute, but it is not as visible as I thought it would be.

So, the pinks were very disappointing, the greens were a little disappointing, and the jury is still out on the orange.

For sure, the oranges are the only ones that I might purchase again.

Off topic, but the first time I ever saw a matte fluorescent green ball (Volvik I think but not sure) was just one that my buddy had gotten somewhere. He was really proud of it and looking forward to playing it.

I have to admit it was different than anything I had ever seen and looked amazing.

He tees it up on #1 PAR 5.

Hits a huge slice into some houses with tile roofs. It did look amazing soaring through the air and bouncing off those tiles like a pinball machine.

Never laughed so hard in my life. He was crushed, it was hilarious.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece