Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

I can drive a ball at times 300 yards. Playing at 5,100 feet elevation definitely helps. About 12%-15% help. A bit of roll helps, too.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it no matter the topic most of the posters claim they hit 300 plus off the tee. I'm not saying they don't but here in the metro area of NY where their is way too many golfers I have only seen a hand full hit it 300 yards. No matter where I have played . How come on the forum everyone claims they play like a pro. I don't believe most of them

I can drive a ball at times 300 yards. Playing at 5,100 feet elevation definitely helps. About 12%-15% help. A bit of roll helps, too.

I love elevation! I see northern Colorado Doc, where do you play?

I just don't think 300 yards carries same "wow" factor anymore. A lot of us grew up playing persimmons and balata's and 300 yards was a crazy distance. I'm 38 now and everything has changed. The opening hole at the mid-am this year was a dogleg right with trees at the corner at 270 yards out. All three of us stepped up like those trees weren't even there and flew it over the corner. 300 just aint what it used to be.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I made the post about claims of hitting long because if you read some of the posts thru out the forum the describe it like they could tee it up with the pros on tour. " I cut the corner with my driver 300+ hit my wedge into the green on a par 4 450 yard hole. " I think with that why are they posting here. Should be on tour.

I'm well impressed no one in this thread has called you an fooking d1ckhead yet.

Good manners everyone. Well done.

Oh! Now please don't go thinking that means I am passively aggressively calling you a fooking d1ckhead. No more than you making up things to backhandedly call forum users liars.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I just don't think 300 yards carries same "wow" factor anymore. A lot of us grew up playing persimmons and balata's and 300 yards was a crazy distance. I'm 38 now and everything has changed. The opening hole at the mid-am this year was a dogleg right with trees at the corner at 270 yards out. All three of us stepped up like those trees weren't even there and flew it over the corner. 300 just aint what it used to be.

300 is the New 250 :D

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

My clubs are the BOMBERS. I’m just the one swinging them.

(I never understood why people make BST ads with something along the lines of “this thing is a bomber”. Yes maybe you hit this further than other clubs so it’s a long combo for you.)

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

From Golf Digest:

At its core, the median driving distance is 219.55 yards. Other club distances of note: the median 3-wood goes 186.89 yards, 7-iron clocks in at 133.48 yards and pitching wedge at a 73.97 mark. For what it's worth, golfers find the fairway 46.46 percent of the time.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-far-do-average-golfers-really-hit-it-new-distance-data-will-surprise-you

Every couple of weeks a post like yours pops up, but I rarely see anyone post about their driving distance. I would say posts like your far outweigh the posts claiming 300 yard drives.

Totally agree, think in all the time i've been on here i've seen maybe 2 to 3 posts that claim the magical 300

Think its a bit of a myth tbh

You arent looking very hard. There are plenty of posts from people claiming to hit it that far. Its not "every" but it certaily isnt "2 or 3" by any stretch.

It's usually the people who cannot hit it very far that claim there are too many people saying they can hit at 300 yards. It's not a blow to my ego if someone can hit it 300 yards, to my 230 yds.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

When you go to the range you see most guys whack a few drives without much conviction but generally they rotate through the clubs pretty evenly, but when I'm at the range my sole intention is to SMASH, SMASH, SMASH drives! It's basically all I care about. My overall game is well shaky but I can pound em out there on occasion. I can only imagine many WRXers have at least a bit of this mentality.

From Golf Digest:

At its core, the median driving distance is 219.55 yards. Other club distances of note: the median 3-wood goes 186.89 yards, 7-iron clocks in at 133.48 yards and pitching wedge at a 73.97 mark. For what it's worth, golfers find the fairway 46.46 percent of the time.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-far-do-average-golfers-really-hit-it-new-distance-data-will-surprise-you

Wonder if this is carry only?

Just checking PGA stats-approx. 65 guys averaging over 300 so far this year. WOW

The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not.

From Golf Digest:

https://www.golfdige...ll-surprise-you

To be fair this was only for people who used "Game Golf Live, a wearable real-time shot-tracking system".

I know personally 5 guys right now that can hit the ball 300 yards. I know personally about 40 guys that play golf regularly that I could tee it up with any weekend. I don't know a single person that has Golf Game live.

Too many people judge what the rest of the world can do based on their limited experience at their local courses. The old "if I ain't seen it, it can't happen cause I been around the block more than a few times...blah, blah, blah." I'll best the majority of people who have never seen a lot of long ballers have probably not played in many local AM tournaments or been around a lot of high level golfers.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

300 doesn't impress me. 450 Long drive does....

I'm more impressed with consistent 1.5 smash factors...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Not true. We recently had a thread here not long about where people could annonymously vote for their carry range.

Most people were in the 250-270 carry range. This is the one I fall under. I've never once said I routinely hit it 300, and I don't find this to be the case at all. It's people falling victim to remembering that ONE TIME a guy posts his numbers from trackman and he carries it 320 and the thread blows up into this big ordeal, then blanket assumes most guys here are this way.

From Golf Digest:

Three things are true:

1. Numbers don't lie.
  2. People do embellish.
  3. Borscht is making a comeback.

From Golf Digest:

Wonder if this is carry only?

I'm thinking that has to be total distance. How would Game Golf be able to distinguish carry from roll? You walk to your ball and hit the tag, not tag where you "think" it landed.

Makes me feel pretty good about my paltry numbers so I'm calling total distance.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Eeeehhhh it is no big thing now.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

What percentage of amateur golfers do we think legit carry the golf ball even 275+ (which could lend itself to 300 yard drives with good roll)

There's no way its over 1%

There are 20M regular golfers in the US, we think there are 200,000 amateurs that carry the ball 275?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

What percentage of amateur golfers do we think legit carry the golf ball even 275+ (which could lend itself to 300 yard drives with good roll)

There are 20M regular golfers in the US, we think there are 200,000 amateurs that carry the ball 275?

I think so. I play golf with a lot of guys. That being said "a lot of guys" might be 100? I know more than one (1%) that can carry it 275 easily. I play with a lot of former high school and college athletes that can do it. I play with former and current collegiate golfers that can do it. So me knowing a handful out of my already small sample size makes me believe there are plenty of people capable.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

sounds like the metro area of NY where you play is full of nancy boys

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

This is pretty funny, but is a 100% true story. There is a hole on a course I used to play pretty frequently that from the back tee's requires a 242 yard carry to carry a revine (at sea level). You can't go right of it, you can't go left of it so it leaves just a straight shot over it. Some man used to put a target out on the fairway during tournaments (at 255) and sell chances to win a sleeve of balls if the target was hit and the rest was a donation to Junior Golf. I sat there with him many times while people would pay their $5 and then launch ball after after ball into the revine. I would say 1 out of 50 could actually carry the revine, but few could get it in the target (which was rather large). I watched "supposed" big hitters pull three wood because of the short distance and then watch them land 25 yards short of the revine edge. Then pull out driver and still not make it. They had their rangefinders so they could see the man wasn't lying about the distance, but would make every excuse known to mankind as to why they couldn't make it across: New driver so it wasn't broken in yet, New shaft, must be a 25 mile in hour wind blowing thru the revine (when it was dead still), etc...

Back then I was 100-105 swinger and I had to stand on it really good just to clear the revine. No way I could do it today. I would have to move up a set of tees where the carry is only 215 just to feel comfortable playing the hole. Are there people who can carry it, absolutely. Are there as many as one would think, absolutely not.

I am so old school I still believe in how many and not in how far :)

Enjoy the Hero's

Driver- TM 510 Tour
4 Wood- Titleist 970 Silver 17
Irons- PGA Diamondback Blades (RAW) 2 (20)- PW (52)
Sand Wedge- Scratch Don White 56
Lob Wedge- Scratch Don White 60
Putter- Titleist Bullseye (Cameron WGC Special)
Ball- Titleist Tour Speed

I'm the epitome of average or slightly above average around these forums and I have noticed a shift/transition in the last couple seasons in the distance related posts.

I tend to notice more of the short knockers get more dismissive, heated and upset at yardage claims than any boasters coming in talking about crushing the ball.

There are people on both sides of the spectrum and great golfers at all distances. This place probably has a much better average handicap then the typical players most people see at a country club.

When you go to the range you see most guys whack a few drives without much conviction but generally they rotate through the clubs pretty evenly, but when I'm at the range my sole intention is to SMASH, SMASH, SMASH drives! It's basically all I care about. My overall game is well shaky but I can pound em out there on occasion. I can only imagine many WRXers have at least a bit of this mentality.

Nope! Happy with my distance (even if it is poor), so I concentrate almost purely on accuracy. I'd rather be short and on the fairway and then have to take a 6 iron at the green rather than be long, in the rough and use a 7 or an 8 at the green.

I think so. I play golf with a lot of guys. That being said "a lot of guys" might be 100? I know more than one (1%) that can carry it 275 easily. I play with a lot of former high school and college athletes that can do it. I play with former and current collegiate golfers that can do it. So me knowing a handful out of my already small sample size makes me believe there are plenty of people capable.

You are a 4.5 index on a golf forum. There are also going to be several people who know no one that can do it too. My club is 350+ members and i would say there are 2 guys who can do it currently. And we are in the group that SHOULD know people that do it.

There are guys like Iteachgolf who probably know 200 amateurs that can do it.

But there are going to be many, many guys, the types of guys who play 15 rounds a year at public courses, who know zero people

Trackman golf said their average results were 219yds on a recent blog. There can't be that many 275yd bombers. If not 1%, maybe 2%...Otherwise there's gotta be a lot of guys who carry it like 140 to make that average

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

From Golf Digest:

Wow, this is good news. In that over 60 group....for me 196.40 yards is

just a butter cut 3 hybrid.....and I'm almost 65. Now I can tell my old buds

we're bombers.

Anybody know how far a drive would go with 190 ball speed, 10 launch and 2200 spin? Nevermind.. illl just hit a couple and find out

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx