PGA Jr League

wildcatden

PGAJRL is a really nice way to get kids introduced to the game. My little guy played as a 7 year old this year. He built a ton of confidence and legitimately made older opponents feel pressure after he hit first. Lots of newbies and under 11 kids in our area. Scramble format takes a lot of pressure off. His coach frequently paired him up with an 11 year old, it was pretty fun to watch mentor/mentee. He has a much better sense of rules after his first season. The all Star stuff is off the radar here for most participants. I can't imagine him staying in until 13 - I think he is going to want to move on to more individual stroke play prior to aging out.

Cobra LTD Pro
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G25 20*
Maltby DBM black 4-GW kbs special black
Maltby tour grind 56* - 60*
Yes! Pippi

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is one of those things that vastly depends on who is running the league in your area. Our Jr. League is run incredibly well by our course. We pay $250 for the whole shebang and get 12 matches and 18 hour long practices with the three teaching pros working with the kids which I think is a bargain. The instructors even did make up practices after the season was over for anyone who wanted to come due to practices getting rained out. As well, the course lets the All-Star kids walk 9 for free during the week if there are tee times available whenever they want. The All-Stars are not picked until the end of the season and it is done very fairly. However, I have heard horror stories like I am reading on here as well. Research the leagues in your area and find a good one. My 7 year old was the youngest but it was such a great way for him to get introduced to the game.

This has been a fascinating thread to follow. I understand all sides of this story.

My son has played PGA junior league for 4 years. He made the all star team the last 3 years. Every year he moved up a little. This was the first time he was on a team that made it to the state finals.

This year, he was asked to play in a league 20 minutes from our home. We knew several of the kids in the league. He loved playing with his buddies and being a mentor to the younger kids in the league.

There were around 40 kids in the program. 14-15 of them were tournament players capable of making an all-star team. My son was glad to see his name on the all-star roster.

His team quickly made it to the state championship. They had tough competition from several other teams. Some were from our own town. In the end, they won the state. Georgia has several hotbeds for Golf. Most of these areas had solid PGA junior league teams. Augusta, Columbus, Athens and Sea Island have great young players.

Regionals were awesome. The host course was one of my favorite places in the world. Kiawah Island. (Man, that place is great). The team faced insane competition. The course was tough and the wind was whipping. The kids needed to focus and won a tough match to beat FLorida in the regional final.

On to Arizona...

Nationals was one of the coolest things my son has ever done. They had a milkshake station for the kids in the ‘player lounge.’ Also, the air hockey and games made the space a blast. Player only reception...uniforms...ropes on the practice area...golf channel cameras....this was a big deal for him.

Everything was first class!

Yes....every team there was incredible. Some programs had over 90 kids to choose from.... all of the final teams had a large pool of players to select the top 10. The regional and national matches are not won by the strongest teams. They are decided by your weakest teams. (How good are your 7-8-9 players?)

The national matches were tough. His pool play was stacked. New Hampshire, Ohio and California (3 time defending champ) were all better than my son’s team on paper. He played the anchor match...4th....every day. Traditionally, this is where teams put their strongest. Man...these kids were unreal. Finals played close to 3000. These kids made 5-under look easy.

In every match, either team could have won. It regularly came down to 1 or 2 putts per match.

His team made it out of pool play to face New Jersey in the final.

Should I keep going? It is on golf channel tonight at 8.

Either way....great experience. Yes, some coaches stretched the rules. But, all stretching was reviewed numerous times. Kids were not working the system. Teams are being built inside the current system. Not ideal....but, they had over 40,000 kids this year.

PGA junior league was an incredible experience. If your kid is at any level......play. If your kid can break 75 at local tournaments from 5400-5800.....he or she can contribute on a national team.

Hope I don’t get roasted. Good luck parents. Pm me with any questions.

It is crazy watching it again. I know what happens...and I am still nervous.

Question for you: do you know in general how the all-star teams in the national finals recruit players? Do they recruit from a large geographic area? How big the typical pool is from which to make the all-star team?

The players in my son’s team all come from the same area, at almost 10 miles from each other. The pool to choose is about 40-50 kids and many are beginners. Next year will be the last year that he and a few other core players are still eligible and it would be really cool if they can make a trip to national finals. Not something you can put on your resume but a really memorable and fun experience I think.

I'm going to throw out that my kid's currently a member of the First Tee. We considered the JR League, but being that the boy's only 9, he wasn't into the competition aspect. Frankly, at 9, I'm glad that he feels this way as I'm happy with the emphasis that the 1st Tee organization puts on the golfer as a person.

It is crazy watching it again. I know what happens...and I am still nervous.

Question for you: do you know in general how the all-star teams in the national finals recruit players? Do they recruit from a large geographic area? How big the typical pool is from which to make the all-star team?

The players in my son’s team all come from the same area, at almost 10 miles from each other. The pool to choose is about 40-50 kids and many are beginners. Next year will be the last year that he and a few other core players are still eligible and it would be really cool if they can make a trip to national finals. Not something you can put on your resume but a really memorable and fun experience I think.

It depends....(sorry to be ambiguous)

We are lucky that we live in Atlanta. Our boys all played on the same US Kids tour and have know. Each other for a while. We have 7 million people in the metro area and had one good PGA Jr league in the city.

Remote cities with smaller populations will either need to be lucky, recruit from a larger demographic or not compete on a national level.

If you look at the teams that made it to Arizona...they came from population dense areas of the country. (Except AR).

New Hampshire has kids from Mass

NJ had Pennsylvania

Ohio had a large population and geographic region

CA was from San Jose

TX was from Houston

The Florida team we faced in the regional finals will be strong! They were from Orlando and started recruiting.

Did I answer your question?

For those with older kids who have been through it, did your kid(s) play PGA Jr League? Team golf and match play looks like it could be fun for the kids. It's only for kids 13 and under and seems like a good competition to be involved with before the teen years hit and you get more involved in AJGA-style events.

My kids played for a few years. It's fun but if your on a team with lots of players then it's highly possible that you spend a lot of time driving around town just to play 6 holes. Other than that it's pretty fun.

This has been a fascinating thread to follow. I understand all sides of this story.

My son has played PGA junior league for 4 years. He made the all star team the last 3 years. Every year he moved up a little. This was the first time he was on a team that made it to the state finals.

This year, he was asked to play in a league 20 minutes from our home. We knew several of the kids in the league. He loved playing with his buddies and being a mentor to the younger kids in the league.

There were around 40 kids in the program. 14-15 of them were tournament players capable of making an all-star team. My son was glad to see his name on the all-star roster.

His team quickly made it to the state championship. They had tough competition from several other teams. Some were from our own town. In the end, they won the state. Georgia has several hotbeds for Golf. Most of these areas had solid PGA junior league teams. Augusta, Columbus, Athens and Sea Island have great young players.

Regionals were awesome. The host course was one of my favorite places in the world. Kiawah Island. (Man, that place is great). The team faced insane competition. The course was tough and the wind was whipping. The kids needed to focus and won a tough match to beat FLorida in the regional final.

On to Arizona...

Nationals was one of the coolest things my son has ever done. They had a milkshake station for the kids in the ‘player lounge.’ Also, the air hockey and games made the space a blast. Player only reception...uniforms...ropes on the practice area...golf channel cameras....this was a big deal for him.

Everything was first class!

Yes....every team there was incredible. Some programs had over 90 kids to choose from.... all of the final teams had a large pool of players to select the top 10. The regional and national matches are not won by the strongest teams. They are decided by your weakest teams. (How good are your 7-8-9 players?)

The national matches were tough. His pool play was stacked. New Hampshire, Ohio and California (3 time defending champ) were all better than my son’s team on paper. He played the anchor match...4th....every day. Traditionally, this is where teams put their strongest. Man...these kids were unreal. Finals played close to 3000. These kids made 5-under look easy.

In every match, either team could have won. It regularly came down to 1 or 2 putts per match.

His team made it out of pool play to face New Jersey in the final.

Should I keep going? It is on golf channel tonight at 8.

Either way....great experience. Yes, some coaches stretched the rules. But, all stretching was reviewed numerous times. Kids were not working the system. Teams are being built inside the current system. Not ideal....but, they had over 40,000 kids this year.

PGA junior league was an incredible experience. If your kid is at any level......play. If your kid can break 75 at local tournaments from 5400-5800.....he or she can contribute on a national team.

Hope I don’t get roasted. Good luck parents. Pm me with any questions.

Hey - my son was on the New Hampshire team at Nationals. Your GA team certainly put an Word not allowed whooping on them the second day! Very impressive. What ultimately hurt NH was strength in depth. The top 3-4 players in NH are as good as any on any team and have all competed nationally in the usual big tourneys. After that the depth dropped off very sharply :). There were other issues as well but not going into them on a public forum!

One comment on the state naming thing....not sure why they do that. All teams keep their host club names until Nationals. It’s not a state based thing but a club/area based thing. We live in MA but are right on the border with NH and are maybe 20 mins tops from the host club and my son has been a junior member there for the last 2 years. We had one kid from MA that had maybe a 45 min - 1 hour drive tops. All the others were local.

Nationals were a fun event and the kids get treated like pros but yes....it’s VERY different from the grow-the-game, grass roots concept it’s suppossed to be..

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

One other thing to add re the format - I get the 2,2,3,3 teaming for the local level matches. It allows you to put some younger/ beginner juniors in and have them only play 3 or 6 holes. But to keep the same format at Regionals and especially Nationals is assanine. You have teams who have reached that level of competition, you have usually travelled some way to an event and some kids only get to play 3 holes?!. At regionals onwards ALL kids should play 9 holes in each match imho - just make it 5 matches of 2 players each.

Note this is not sour grapes on my part - my son has never been in one of the 3 player teams :) I just think it’s fairer to the other kids who have made it all the way. Plus the decision making on who got to play 6 holes and who got to play 3 holes got a bit political and ugly, some parents got pissed, yada yada. Could all be avoided by just having 5 matches instead of 4.

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

One other thing to add re the format - I get the 2,2,3,3 teaming for the local level matches. It allows you to put some younger/ beginner juniors in and have them only play 3 or 6 holes. But to keep the same format at Regionals and especially Nationals is assanine. You have teams who have reached that level of competition, you have usually travelled some way to an event and some kids only get to play 3 holes?!. At regionals onwards ALL kids should play 9 holes in each match imho - just make it 5 matches of 2 players each.

Note this is not sour grapes on my part - my son has never been in one of the 3 player teams :) I just think it’s fairer to the other kids who have made it all the way. Plus the decision making on who got to play 6 holes and who got to play 3 holes got a bit political and ugly, some parents got pissed, yada yada. Could all be avoided by just having 5 matches instead of 4.

1. The New Hampshire team was awesome! Your kids and parents were so much fun to meet. (My son was in the 4th match....your team was loaded)

2. You are correct! Most of the internal drama on the playoff teams originated on the 3 person teams. These teams are perfect for regular season matches. (My youngest child is 5....this will allow her to play at a much younger age)

- the best solution I heard was.... starting at the playoffs the format would modify;

5 two-person teams

Scoring would be the same

5th match is a tie breaker.

What do you think?

1. The New Hampshire team was awesome! Your kids and parents were so much fun to meet. (My son was in the 4th match....your team was loaded)

2. You are correct! Most of the internal drama on the playoff teams originated on the 3 person teams. These teams are perfect for regular season matches. (My youngest child is 5....this will allow her to play at a much younger age)

- the best solution I heard was.... starting at the playoffs the format would modify;

5 two-person teams

What do you think?

I agree that 5 x 2 person teams would be the best and yeah make that the format for playoffs onwards.

My son was in the first match off vs GA. Those kids were good. I think my son and his partner got 1 flag out of the 3.

Problem with team NH was that because of the lack of depth the coaching decision was made to pair the best and weaker players together. That just does not work at this level because you are diluting too much and usually up against a team with 10 great players. Team NH had 3 maybe 4 great players and one of them was in a major slump. My take was was that if we really wanted to win more matches we should have stacked the top 6 players into the first 3 groups and then “sacrificed” the last group. NH was never going to win and beat GA or NJ but after beating CA in the first match for NH to end up DFL,was a bit galling. Should really have been in the 3rd-4th playoff match.

Regardless great all-round experience and the post event golf we played at Wildfire and We-po-ka was just awesome! I had never played AZ golf before and I just loved it.

Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

5 two-person teams

What do you think?

I agree that 5 x 2 person teams would be the best and yeah make that the format for playoffs onwards.

My son was in the first match off vs GA. Those kids were good. I think my son and his partner got 1 flag out of the 3.

Problem with team NH was that because of the lack of depth the coaching decision was made to pair the best and weaker players together. That just does not work at this level because you are diluting too much and usually up against a team with 10 great players. Team NH had 3 maybe 4 great players and one of them was in a major slump. My take was was that if we really wanted to win more matches we should have stacked the top 6 players into the first 3 groups and then “sacrificed” the last group. NH was never going to win and beat GA or NJ but after beating CA in the first match for NH to end up DFL,was a bit galling. Should really have been in the 3rd-4th playoff match.

Regardless great all-round experience and the post event golf we played at Wildfire and We-po-ka was just awesome! I had never played AZ golf before and I just loved it.

Interesting to hear you guys talk about this. Has definitely confirmed my thoughts on how it all works.

It will be hard for a team from Florida to ever advance because the state is diluted by land. There are leagues in Orlando, Jacksonville, Panhandle, Tampa, Melbourne, Vero Beach, Naples, three in South Florida, and probably more that I don't know about. South Florida could have a chance if they would put aside adults egos and combine to form one league. In the inception that is exactly what they did and they went to the finals in Chicago the week before the Ryder Cup.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

The number of leagues really has nothing to do with it. The real advantage occurs when 1 facility has all the teams that comprise a league, and therefore makeup the entire all-star team. Roycebrook does this. They have 4 teams and are in complete control of who plays in their league and plays on the all-star team. They can and do bring in kids from all over. There are teams in Florida that are set up the same way. If they choose and/or are able to attract that kind of talent, they can absolutely advance to Nationals. It would just be a question of ability at that point.

The number of leagues really has nothing to do with it. The real advantage occurs when 1 facility has all the teams that comprise a league, and therefore makeup the entire all-star team. Roycebrook does this. They have 4 teams and are in complete control of who plays in their league and plays on the all-star team. They can and do bring in kids from all over. There are teams in Florida that are set up the same way. If they choose and/or are able to attract that kind of talent, they can absolutely advance to Nationals. It would just be a question of ability at that point.
Agree on this. It comes down to whether a golf club is willing to do so.

• 2 months later...

Update for 2018. The league has expanded to include 16U, 14-16 year olds in many locations. My son is so excited as his past experiences I posted here earlier. Again our local courses are not involved so we need to go south 45 minutes to get involved. I don't even think high school players even know about this league as it could really help to sharpen their game. They really need to get this word out to high school coaches to spread the word. My son now 14, plays in all the PGA Junior offerings but really liked the team and all stars he played in last year and made him a better player and the like of the game. C'mon junior league, do a better job getting the word out.

Update for 2018. The league has expanded to include 16U, 14-16 year olds in many locations. My son is so excited as his past experiences I posted here earlier. Again our local courses are not involved so we need to go south 45 minutes to get involved. I don't even think high school players even know about this league as it could really help to sharpen their game. They really need to get this word out to high school coaches to spread the word. My son now 14, plays in all the PGA Junior offerings but really liked the team and all stars he played in last year and made him a better player and the like of the game. C'mon junior league, do a better job getting the word out.

I don’t like the idea of including 14-16 year olds with 9-13 year olds from a social standpoint. Fortunately, 14-16 year olds do not participate at most local facilities and may not play in the all-stars. For better playing 14-16 year olds this program is a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my beef's with PGA Jr. League in our town was the price. $175.00 for six 9 hole matches and they got the course for free. We had 4 teams with 10 kids each team. That is 7 grand and basically the coaches ran the program. PGA Jr. League got their take and the foundation running it got the rest. The PGA Jr. League Tee and Polo were cheap garbage. Who really wants a tee with 17 on it? I think my kid through it away. There was a director, but all he did was make the schedule and show up. We then went to all-stars and he charged $30.00 a 9 hole match, which again, he got the courses donated at no charge. That really fired me up. We ended up playing 3 matches into the post season. I was ecstatic when we got beat.

I was going to sign my son up for a local team today until he said the cost is $450.

One of my beef's with PGA Jr. League in our town was the price. $175.00 for six 9 hole matches and they got the course for free. We had 4 teams with 10 kids each team. That is 7 grand and basically the coaches ran the program. PGA Jr. League got their take and the foundation running it got the rest. The PGA Jr. League Tee and Polo were cheap garbage. Who really wants a tee with 17 on it? I think my kid through it away. There was a director, but all he did was make the schedule and show up. We then went to all-stars and he charged $30.00 a 9 hole match, which again, he got the courses donated at no charge. That really fired me up. We ended up playing 3 matches into the post season. I was ecstatic when we got beat.

I was going to sign my son up for a local team today until he said the cost is $450.

Someone is making some dime.

Someone is making some dime.

around here they are $250 - $400. Perhaps I'm in the wrong line of work.

Ouch. I think we were around $200 and my son played a few courses I'll never even be able to get on.

Wow that's incredible. Most around here around between $200-300. Is there another course nearby you could play for?

$450? Wow. Our fee went up this year to $175. I griped a little, but then remembered that last year in additional to weekly practice rounds at home course (nothing special), he played matches at Country Club of Charleston, Daniel Island Club, Bulls Bay, and Cassique. Pretty stout line up of 4 of the 5 best privates in Charleston. It took me 10 years of living here to check those boxes, he knocked em out 2 months! Considering all, I would say worth the $175.