2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Choosing 2 courses for Palm Springs...

knoe07

Heading to Palm Springs in 2 weeks. Going to be playing as a single. Going to be able to play two rounds. Don't want to drive too far.

I'm a 13.2 index, and looking for a good challenge, I appreciate good course design and layouts. Don't like playing in housing tracks.

1st round going to be in Palm Springs area, don't want to drive too far, debating between:

- Escena ( no range)

- Indian Canyons, North or South (South slope ratings look pretty easy)

- Westin Mission Hills, Dye or Player

- Any other suggestions?

2nd round going to be staying at Hyatt Indian Wells, so going to play there, but the question is:

- Celebrity

or

- Players

Open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celebrity course for the Indian wells resort. For the first day, I would play the classic club in the morning. I think it's the best public course layout in the desert. Of your courses listed I like the player course at Westin mission hills. I was there in may and conditions were pretty good.

I may not be able to play until the afternoon for the first day, and I heard classic club can get pretty windy, so that's why didn't have it in there. I may just have to play and chance the wind though with all the good stuff I've been reading about it.

Ive played both courses at Mission Hills and was not impressed by either( lots of condos lining most holes). I would say drive alittle farther and play Desert Willow( Maybe 10 mins past Mission Hills). Either course there is great and I would have to say my favorite place to play in the area. As for IW I would agree Celebrity is a good one. Im hoping to get there in Nov and try out the golf boards. Hope this helps.

Ive played both courses at Mission Hills and was not impressed by either( lots of condos lining most holes). I would say drive alittle farther and play Desert Willow( Maybe 10 mins past Mission Hills). Either course there is great and I would have to say my favorite place to play in the area. As for IW I would agree Celebrity is a good one. Im hoping to get there in Nov and try out the golf boards. Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I've read on several other threads about Desert Willow. It looks like Firecliff is the favorite there.

Ok, thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I've read on several other threads about Desert Willow. It looks like Firecliff is the favorite there.

I would agree on Firecliff, its my fav of the two. I have played FC 4 times and MV only once. But im going out in Nov and thinking of playing MV again.

Day 1, Out of what you have listed, escena, Indian canyons north nothing great and south is in great shape but super easy and boring. Most holes you can be 80 yards offline and ok. Mission hills courses are decent but houses are around and i don't like playing through them either.

If you drive a little then, Classic, Desert willow and shadow ridge are all by each other.

Day 2 both are solid courses.

I will echo the recommendations for Classic on Day 1. It's a bit of a hike from Palm Springs proper, but it is hands down my favorite course in the area. Not a single house on the property, and it's a very challenging but fair layout.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Thank you all for your inputs. I appreciate it. Decided to drive a little bit to get to the better courses recommended. So now decideding between Classic Club or Desert Willow Firecliff the first day. Going to go on a Tuesday afternoon and brave the wind. Don't see any GolfNow times at Classic so going to call and ask.

Day two I'm leaning towards the Celebrity course, looks a bit narrower, even though it's a shorter track.

Thanks again.

Thank you all for your inputs. I appreciate it. Decided to drive a little bit to get to the better courses recommended. So now decideding between Classic Club or Desert Willow Firecliff the first day. Going to go on a Tuesday afternoon and brave the wind. Don't see any GolfNow times at Classic so going to call and ask.

Day two I'm leaning towards the Celebrity course, looks a bit narrower, even though it's a shorter track.

Thanks again.

I'm going to be the contrarian on Desert Willow here. Firecliff is a good course and Mountain View is just OK. Both are overpriced IMO in terms of value in the area. And I don't like their clubhouse food. To me, Classic Club is a much better course than either at DW. But as always, YMMV.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

And 0-2. Celebrity Course at IW closed that week for maintenance as well. Not a good start, haha. So going to play the Players at IW instead. Going to see if Firecliff will book a single.

Did you check out Silverrock?

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

And 0-2. Celebrity Course at IW closed that week for maintenance as well. Not a good start, haha. So going to play the Players at IW instead. Going to see if Firecliff will book a single.

I believe they are currently in the middle of some renovations. Might want to check that out before deciding to play there.

I believe they are currently in the middle of some renovations. Might want to check that out before deciding to play there.

Yes, one of the nines is closed for renovations right now unfortunately.

Escena is a great course and not much of a drive for you. I've only been there in the winter though so I don't know what summer conditions are like

The Players course at Indian Wells is great too. It's a bit more difficult than Celebrity but not crazy hard

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

Escena is a great course and not much of a drive for you. I've only been there in the winter though so I don't know what summer conditions are like

The Players course at Indian Wells is great too. It's a bit more difficult than Celebrity but not crazy hard

Escena is a lot of fun I will say that. Really wide fairways and some interesting holes. If you play it smart you can have fun and not get beat up too bad. My only thing is that 17 and 18 seem to play about twice as hard as any other holes on the course because they seem to be the two holes most affected by the wind. Really cool retro 50's clubhouse too.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

• 2 weeks later...

In Palm Springs this week. Not too hot. I played at Desert Willow Mountain Course yesterday from the Blue tees at about 6500 yds. 6:15 am tee time. Practice facility was very nice. Balls out at the range with multiple flags on each green complex, with good varying yardages. Two putting/chipping greens. I was the second group out, playing as a single I got paired up with a threesome. I eventually split off from them by the 5th hole as a single, pace of play was quite slow because one of them was just learning to play. It didn't bother me as they apologized before we even teed off. But after that I flew through at great pace. Finished in 3hrs 15 mins.

Maintence: Course was in great shape, greens were a little slow but expected with this summer heat as they let them get a little longer. Otherwise, didn't find many ball marks or damage. Fairways and bunkers all well manicured. Some of the cart paths are under construction so you find yourself weaving off/on to dirt paths.

Playability: I thought the course was an appropriate challenge for me. The Desert/waste areas will punish tee shots that should be. slight misses end up in rough/bunkers. I like this compared to some Desert target golf courses where precision is very demanding and you end up losing a lot of balls if your game is off. My goal was to play a challenging course but also enjoy my day of relaxing and the scenery, which was beautiful.

All in all an enjoyable day. I would play it again, but would also like to try Firecliff (it was closed for maintenance).

• 3 months later...