Is a laser rangefinder really necessary?

I can hit my wedges 50,60,70,80,90,100,110 and each 5 yards in between because I have practised a lot.

I can't however eye ball those distances with any sort of accuracy. In fact I would say I am positively horrendous at eye balling yardages. Mainly because I have not practised.

It is a good job eye balling yardages don't count towards the score.

I'm lost without my laser - sure I can still hit a green with my wedge - but that simply isn't good enough when I need to carry it 65 yards for a 65 yard front pin, or carry it 85 yards to a 90 yard back pin.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

I can hit my wedges 50,60,70,80,90,100,110 and each 5 yards in between because I have practised a lot.

I can't however eye ball those distances with any sort of accuracy. In fact I would say I am positively horrendous at eye balling yardages. Mainly because I have not practised.

I'm lost without my laser - sure I can still hit a green with my wedge - but that simply isn't good enough when I need to carry it 65 yards for a 65 yard front pin, or carry it 85 yards to a 90 yard back pin.

Realized tonight that ravines in front of greens REALLY mess me up so a precise yardage to the pin with my laser is necessary intel.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Played with a foursome a week ago, two guys had GPS apps/watches. They spent the whole round debating on each other's yardages for every tee and approach shot. After a few holes, it got to be quite grating, as it started to slow our group down.

I started to get anxious about it, as well as the third guy in the group. Finally after we made the turn, the third guy says "I'll end this now", pulled out his laser rangefinder and started using it when they started their debate. It did end the debates, as they quickly accepted the laser's yardages (and they might have observed the way the guy "stormed" over to them and tersely announced the accurate yardage to them).

I'm going to buy one, the range I use moves the tee spots as the grass becomes used up, so I never really know how far the targets are.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll never rely on GPS again.

The rangefinder is so easy to use, and much faster and accurate than the GPS apps I was using.

I played with the rangefinder yesterday, I hit many more greens than I am used to, and was a lot closer to the targets all day. I had three birdies on the front nine, never had that many before!

It has allowed me to hit more confident approach shots, and I am getting a better idea how far my irons fly.

I wondered why it took me so long to buy one of these!

I've used both GPS and laser for the past decade. I like the GPS when playing a new course as it provides more information and helps guide me around the unfamiliar landscape.

The Laser is my "go-to" for 95% of my shots just because most of the time I want a simple number or two i.e.; front and pin distance etc.

If given a choice, I'd take the laser because it's simpler. And in golf (to me), simpler is better.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

The course I learned to play on had a bush planted next to the fairway at 100,150 and 200 yards. We walked it off from there. It was easy if you walked the course instead of riding. Then they put the colored disks in the fairway, then the sprinkler heads...after they installed sprinklers.....now nothing is marked because almost everyone has a laser or GPS.

I use a laser, but the times I ride and the cart has a GPS I probably only use my laser once or twice a round. Front, middle, back is usually good enough for me. The main thing I don't like about a GPS is keeping it charged, it kills my phone if I use an app and when I had a Sky Caddy it was often an issue.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

You need a good rangefinder and must learn to use it properly or it can cause problems with your game. A golf buddy bought a TecTecTec rangefinder which has pinseeker technology but doesn't provide feedback like the Bushnell Jolt. Throughout his first day of using it, he was constantly coming up with bad distances because his hands were shaking and it was picking up objects behind the flag. He flew over the green twice and eventually had to use his Golf GPS app to give him a distance range so he knew if he was on target when he used the rangefinder.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

You need a good rangefinder and must learn to use it properly or it can cause problems with your game. A golf buddy bought a TecTecTec rangefinder which has pinseeker technology but doesn't provide feedback like the Bushnell Jolt. Throughout his first day of using it, he was constantly coming up with bad distances because his hands were shaking and it was picking up objects behind the flag. He flew over the green twice and eventually had to use his Golf GPS app to give him a distance range so he knew if he was on target when he used the rangefinder.

Yeah, the jolt technology really helps.

I was amazed at how much hand shake I had (I'm 50), but the two young dudes in my group this past weekend also had troubles with the shakes.

I have been at least a half a club short for the most of the season, I can't tell you how many of my approach shots landed short, and how painfully frustrating it got to be.

I was not short once this weekend, most approaches were on the green or pin high off the green..

I have always been quite happy just using my GPS watch with front center and back yardage. This along with a quick look at the sprinklers gave me a pretty good idea of how far I needed to hit a ball. The problem I have encountered in the last couple of years is the nicer courses around me seem to have all gotten rid of the different color flags to indicate front/center/back. I was constantly guessing only to be walking up to the green and the pin being in the opposite place I thought it was. I saw a Nikon COOLSHOT 20 at my local Dicks the other day on clearance for $79 and it was a no brainer. After using it a few rounds, I can never go back now.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

• 1 month later...

When i hit a wedge mine will also go between 50 and 110.

technology is truly killing so many things....

the best ball strikers in the world never had rangefinders....what happened to playing with your eyes and your feel...

count me out...

Your right they had caddies who walked off yardage’s and yardage books which gave them yardage’s......I can’t afford a full time caddie and I play at courses who don’t hand out yardage books..

I have save a few strokes per round since going to the laser, I have the actual true yardage to the pin, my wife bought me the Bushnell Pro X2 and knowing the slope plus or minus it is simply amazing!!!

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I picked up a cheap deal on one of the older slope-capable Bushnells and at my home course found it not useful. Quite a few holes would show -1 or +2 or something negligible like that. But the only really meaningful slopes (say five yards or more) were a handful of uphill approach shots where I already knew it was a full club uphill or whatever.

If I didn't play about 130 of my 140 rounds per year on a course I know like the back of my hand the slope would quite possibly be useful. There are a couple of holes on my home course that by eyeball you'd swear play a half to a full club uphill (both of them Par 3's) but from long experience I know it's best to just play the straight yardage. Sure enough, that V2 Slope confirmed that one of them is actually dead level with the tee and the other is only +1 or +2 depending on where the pin is. That's the kind of "fooler" that will catch you out on a course you're playing for the first time or two.

What I actually use is a Nikon Coolshot 40 with the Vibration Reduction feature. Once you get used to using it (there's a certain knack to waiting a second or so for the VR to settle down) it makes aiming so stable that I can easily pick out very low-profile features and get yardages. With practice I can now often, from 100 or even 150 yards, get separate yardages to the flagstick, the lip of a greenside bunker and the back edge of the green. It's far more reliable than GPS "hazard" yardage estimates and I can do a three-yardage shoot like that (and check each yardage twice to make sure) in 10-15 seconds.

So without having seen the hole location of the day (and not having any sort of pin sheet) I can tell that my carry is 112 to clear the bunker, just 118 to the hole and that there's plenty of room past the flag because the back of the green is 135. On another day, what looks like a similar shot but with the hole in a different location might be 109 to clear the bunker, 125 to the hole and 132 to the back of the green.

For me that's two totally different shots with a short club in my hand. Without that information I'd just take enough club to get it at least to the middle of the green and if the flag is up front I'm facing a brutal downhill putt. With non-VR rangefinders my hands just aren't steady enough to reliably distinguish between the edge of the green or some random spot 6-8 yards away from the edge.

I picked up a cheap deal on one of the older slope-capable Bushnells and at my home course found it not useful. Quite a few holes would show -1 or +2 or something negligible like that. But the only really meaningful slopes (say five yards or more) were a handful of uphill approach shots where I already knew it was a full club uphill or whatever.

If I didn't play about 130 of my 140 rounds per year on a course I know like the back of my hand the slope would quite possibly be useful. There are a couple of holes on my home course that by eyeball you'd swear play a half to a full club uphill (both of them Par 3's) but from long experience I know it's best to just play the straight yardage. Sure enough, that V2 Slope confirmed that one of them is actually dead level with the tee and the other is only +1 or +2 depending on where the pin is. That's the kind of "fooler" that will catch you out on a course you're playing for the first time or two.

What I actually use is a Nikon Coolshot 40 with the Vibration Reduction feature. Once you get used to using it (there's a certain knack to waiting a second or so for the VR to settle down) it makes aiming so stable that I can easily pick out very low-profile features and get yardages. With practice I can now often, from 100 or even 150 yards, get separate yardages to the flagstick, the lip of a greenside bunker and the back edge of the green. It's far more reliable than GPS "hazard" yardage estimates and I can do a three-yardage shoot like that (and check each yardage twice to make sure) in 10-15 seconds.

So without having seen the hole location of the day (and not having any sort of pin sheet) I can tell that my carry is 112 to clear the bunker, just 118 to the hole and that there's plenty of room past the flag because the back of the green is 135. On another day, what looks like a similar shot but with the hole in a different location might be 109 to clear the bunker, 125 to the hole and 132 to the back of the green.

For me that's two totally different shots with a short club in my hand. Without that information I'd just take enough club to get it at least to the middle of the green and if the flag is up front I'm facing a brutal downhill putt. With non-VR rangefinders my hands just aren't steady enough to reliably distinguish between the edge of the green or some random spot 6-8 yards away from the edge.

I've tried the Nikon VR rangefinders, but I found the display floating inside just made me chase the flag as it floats around. I've never had an issue holding a rangefinder steady though. Maybe when I stop drinking and start getting the shakes it will work for me :drinks:

Ravines in front of greens always make the pin seem closer than it is. Yet another reason to lean on my laser technology.

Aim small, miss small.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

A laser will tell you the exact distance to the cart girl and your next cool frosty.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

rosco, buddy

of course its related and relevant. if it wasnt why would the pga not let players use all and any tech that is available to them?

grooves and anchored putters are results of technology, so are rangefinders and gps. pants however have been around a lot longer..... :)

the fact that the pga makes these things illegal defines the point that there is a limit to what they will and wont allow, which nobody seems to want to answer.

if it didnt matter, why not make anything that helps all players legal?

Why wont you answer my question as to why the PGA allows the use of range finders during practice rounds if they were truly only illegal because of the technological advantage you think they provide? The truth is every single pro and their caddies use range finders before a tournament during practice/prep days (even with slope calcs). What is the difference between having an extremely detailed yardage book with multiple distances to landmarks vs simply doing the measurement on the spot?

you need to ask the usga that, bc it doesnt make any sense to allow it in practices but not in competition to me. theyre contradicting themselves with that ruling.

but maybe theres advantages that getting a reading during play can yield as opposed to having to do it beforehand. i cant answer that one, unless you know the reason?

either way i stand by my original point that nobody NEEDS this stuff to be a better golfer. it just make it easier and faster to get there.

im sure sam snead would have won more tournaments had he known exact laser pointed yardages as someone pointed out.

the question is, is that where the game should go? technology driven precision to the point of becoming robotic, calculated and formula?

the usga is giving into some of it which they need to to stay relevant and up to date. after all it is a business. but theyre also trying to maintain some level of integrity to the sport on which it was founded.

time will only tell where it all goes...

I think your way of thinking is completely backward. We are trying to grow an ever shrinking game and a large part of the problem is slow play caused by people not knowing the course (I understand there are many other factors to this also).

However, why is it not acceptable that we and tour pros alike cannot use a rangefinder to speed up the process of finding yardage’s to certain points if they are just going to come to the same outcome anyway by not using technology. You say that golfers used to be more skilled, I completely disagree technology has given us a massive leap in understanding of the fundamentals on Golf - I mean look at the technology Ping has with ping man and envo the camera system - this allows us to understand the game and how we can improve the skill of the game.

What you fail to understand is that technology has not removed any of the skill, yes hickory clubs were harder to hit and ball technology has improved to but the difficulty of the course has dramatically increased to to counteract that. By knowing a yardage or having a wedge that spins a bit more than an old one or a driver which offers a bit more forgiveness than your hickory one doesn’t mean that skill has gone from the game it means that skill has to be seen in different ways.

The skill is getting the best results from what’s available and that’s what your players for all of time have done with what has been at there hands. Just because DJ knows a yardage doesn’t mean he isn’t skilled to hit it that exact number that is the skill in his case. The skill in sneaks case was estimating how far he had to hit it. Skill is a too broad term and can only be applied for that situation it is how you utilise what is available and then your skill is getting the best outcome from that.

Do you really think people want to watch Rory JT Ricky etc hit hickory clubs going 230 yards and then not knowing how far there next shot is. The best thing about Golf is our awe at the good shots they play. That what makes professional golf exciting and when you eliminate there accuracy and the tools which time has made available then what is the point in industry I general if you want us all to live in 1952?

good luck using a laser on a dogleg or over trees.

Thew few times this happens to me do not outweigh the exact distances I get from a laser.

GPS: Can give an estimated distance to a target, even one you can't see. Happens a few times a round and I can normally get as good an estimate with a laser shooting to alternate targets.

Laser: Gives more accurate distances to actual targets rather than areas on the course. Can't shoot through or over objects between the hole and my balls. Happens infrequently and I can usually work around the object with the laser.

Lasers are great to use on a new course and you're not sure how far it is to a dog leg, or a trap, etc. They are also extremely helpful on the range to dial in club length when you're targeting flags, etc.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Lasers are great to use on a new course and you're not sure how far it is to a dog leg, or a trap, etc. They are also extremely helpful on the range to dial in club length when you're targeting flags, etc.

I guess it depends what range you were on. If you're hitting range balls everything pretty much goes out the window as far as distance.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter