Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

Anybody know how far a drive would go with 190 ball speed, 10 launch and 2200 spin? Nevermind.. illl just hit a couple and find out

I’ll do the same but mine will be better since you’re hitting it from the wrong side of the ball ?

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Golf Digest:

At its core, the median driving distance is 219.55 yards. Other club distances of note: the median 3-wood goes 186.89 yards, 7-iron clocks in at 133.48 yards and pitching wedge at a 73.97 mark. For what it's worth, golfers find the fairway 46.46 percent of the time.

https://www.golfdige...ll-surprise-you

Wow, this is good news. In that over 60 group....for me 196.40 yards is

just a butter cut 3 hybrid.....and I'm almost 65. Now I can tell my old buds

we're bombers.

We have a tendency to compare our distances to folks 30 to 40 years younger. lol

I play a lot of golf and only know a handful of players who consistently hit it over 300 yards (and yes, they are young). I am not surprised this forum would see more 300+ yard drivers of the golf ball (as well as low single digit golfers), since our members are passionate about the game and as a whole probably play/practice more golf than the average golfer.

Anybody know how far a drive would go with 190 ball speed, 10 launch and 2200 spin? Nevermind.. illl just hit a couple and find out

A long way. lol

What percentage of amateur golfers do we think legit carry the golf ball even 275+ (which could lend itself to 300 yard drives with good roll)

There's no way its over 1%

There are 20M regular golfers in the US, we think there are 200,000 amateurs that carry the ball 275?

I think so. I play golf with a lot of guys. That being said "a lot of guys" might be 100? I know more than one (1%) that can carry it 275 easily. I play with a lot of former high school and college athletes that can do it. I play with former and current collegiate golfers that can do it. So me knowing a handful out of my already small sample size makes me believe there are plenty of people capable.

You are a 4.5 index on a golf forum. There are also going to be several people who know no one that can do it too. My club is 350+ members and i would say there are 2 guys who can do it currently. And we are in the group that SHOULD know people that do it.

There are guys like Iteachgolf who probably know 200 amateurs that can do it.

But there are going to be many, many guys, the types of guys who play 15 rounds a year at public courses, who know zero people

Trackman golf said their average results were 219yds on a recent blog. There can't be that many 275yd bombers. If not 1%, maybe 2%...Otherwise there's gotta be a lot of guys who carry it like 140 to make that average

Uh oh, this was all i could muster today at my indoor dome.....maybe there's only one guy at my club now. LOL

Though i am nursing some shoulder pain

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The OP wouldn't have started this thread if people on this board didn't look for every excuse to jam their distances into every discussion, often as understatement.

I haven't played for long. I'm a teens handicap. But I am coming for all you scratch and plus. And when I get there, it'll probably be w my 250 total driver, and I'll have the scorecards of all the 300 yard folks I've collected on the way.

I've played over 500 rounds in my first two years, 5 charity tournaments, and I've only seen one 300 yard driver.

Now that's still nothing compared to you guys who have been at this for decades, but I agree w the OP and published statistics that no matter how unusually dedicated the wrx crowd might be, the unsolicited distances are exaggerated.

If you have only seen one 300 yard driver of the golf ball in 500 rounds you are playing with bad golfers.

Like I said earlier, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I tend to notice the short knockers get butt hurt when distance comes up, and I get that the longest guys want to talk a lot about the trouble in their lives with being such monsters off the tee.

In the end, its all about the number on your card. I've beat plenty of long drivers at my club mostly college golfers and young guns, and been whooped by plenty of guys who cant hit it over 220. Heck there is one guy at my club who competes in long drive and has been to qualifiers and stuff, but he carries a 7 or 8 cap.

It aint all about the big stick thats for sure.

Bad golfers - statistics would say you're correct.

But I'm watching Tiger and Justin Thomas on TV right now, and neither have carried the ball over 285 yet today. In the Bahamas. In pristine conditions.

Likely the GOAT and last year's POY, admittedly not the longest on tour, but obviously still gold standard. Tell me how they're not gold first. And then...

You're gonna tell me there are 300 yard drivers under every rock and in every stream. I just don't believe it, when the elite pros and top amateurs are barely hitting it.

If you have only seen one 300 yard driver of the golf ball in 500 rounds you are playing with bad golfers.

I tend to notice the short knockers get butt hurt when distance comes up, and I get that the longest guys want to talk a lot about the trouble in their lives with being such monsters off the tee.

In the end, its all about the number on your card. I've beat plenty of long drivers at my club mostly college golfers and young guns, and been whooped by plenty of guys who cant hit it over 220. Heck there is one guy at my club who competes in long drive and has been to qualifiers and stuff, but he carries a 7 or 8 cap.

But I'm watching Tiger and Justin Thomas on TV right now, and neither have carried the ball over 285 yet today. In the Bahamas. In pristine conditions.

Likely the GOAT and last year's POY, admittedly not the longest on tour, but obviously still gold standard. Tell me how they're not gold first. And then...

You're gonna tell me there are 300 yard drivers under every rock and in every stream. I just don't believe it, when the elite pros and top amateurs are barely hitting it.

They just tee’d off in the 4th hole with one hole being a par 3 and only showed carry for 2 holes so far.

Piretti Savona 

So not sure full 300 carry was the OP's intent. Also TW drove a 326 par 4 (pretty much pin high). He might have gotten 27 yards of roll, but it did not look like it. Folks who play with lots of low singles to plusses (especially elite ams) will see many 300+ drivers of the ball. Given the nature of this website it isn't surprising to see the number of long hitters. Regardless while hitting it long helps you still gotta put the ball in the hole. Thankfully for us short hitters score is still all that matters.

I just finished watching the volvik long drive contest for 2017 and one of the guys had a 449 yard Drive. The average drives for the men's division were well over 400 yards, and for the women they were about 320 to 350 yards.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

What percentage of amateur golfers do we think legit carry the golf ball even 275+ (which could lend itself to 300 yard drives with good roll)

There are 20M regular golfers in the US, we think there are 200,000 amateurs that carry the ball 275?

I think so. I play golf with a lot of guys. That being said "a lot of guys" might be 100? I know more than one (1%) that can carry it 275 easily. I play with a lot of former high school and college athletes that can do it. I play with former and current collegiate golfers that can do it. So me knowing a handful out of my already small sample size makes me believe there are plenty of people capable.

You are a 4.5 index on a golf forum. There are also going to be several people who know no one that can do it too. My club is 350+ members and i would say there are 2 guys who can do it currently. And we are in the group that SHOULD know people that do it.

But there are going to be many, many guys, the types of guys who play 15 rounds a year at public courses, who know zero people

Trackman golf said their average results were 219yds on a recent blog. There can't be that many 275yd bombers. If not 1%, maybe 2%...Otherwise there's gotta be a lot of guys who carry it like 140 to make that average

100 guys average drives

20 @ 200

20 @ 210

20 @ 220

20 @ 230

10 @ 240

5 @ 250

5 @ 280

Average? 222.5 yards

That's with 5% averaging 280 and 40% averaging 230 or more. You don't need super low averages to counter larger numbers.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I certainly don't or have not played with anyone who averaged 300 yards but I have seen a lot of 300 yard total distance drives. We get some pretty serious winds around here and with a 20mph wind and hard ground it makes for some bragging material a round or two later when you forget the wind but remember where your ball ended up. A local club assistant pro in his 20's played some mini tour stuff and he was a legit BIG hitter. Playing with him he didn't average 300 but I did see him shoot a 63 from the tips and took 65 bucks from me one day LOL.

I guess I would agree there is probably some exaggeration here or selective memory and probably both!

But hey, 300 yards or 6 inches...if no one has a ruler out :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

100 guys average drives

20 @ 200

20 @ 210

20 @ 220

20 @ 230

10 @ 240

5 @ 250

5 @ 280

Average? 222.5 yards

That's with 5% averaging 280 and 40% averaging 230 or more. You don't need super low averages to counter larger numbers.

Ok fair enough, but even if I concede 5% (I still think it's lower) that's not a big number of golfers percentage wise. The point is just that the majority do not hit it as far some people (cough cough, USGA) would seem to want to believe

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I would say around 1% or so is close to being correct. I know of 3-4 players of my club that can do it regularly so that's around 1% of the membership, I showed a picture of one player's trackman stats few pages ago. Better players on this forum are more likely to play often with more longer hitters.

I hit my drives around 250-260 yards, often hitting my approaches first and I certainly can tell if my friends are at least a lob wedge away from me.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

The problem is that golfs general demographic is too diverse. Take away the obvious limiting factors for generating speed such as older age and physically out of shape and the population narrows dramatically. Then the “big hitters” are much more prominent.

Plus this forum is made up of golfers, not just guys who play golf for leisure. I mean would you call a guy who randomly plays basketball with his kids or pick up game with his buddies a basketball player? Golfs general population is full of Phillip Seymour Hoffmans’ in Along Came Polly on the basketball court.

Piretti Savona 

The problem is that golfs general demographic is too diverse.

This must be the first time in the history of golf that has ever been said.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Golfs general population is full of Phillip Seymour Hoffmans’ in Along Came Polly on the basketball court.

Ok, big points for MAKE IT RAIN!

So my good ones are in the 250 area, and I've hit wacky wind and rollout to the 270 zone, and my power is pretty middling, so I know lots of guys can hit 300 in certain instances, but the OP is addressing the guys who are claiming Roryesque standard game numbers.

In that, his points are totally valid.

Ok, big points for MAKE IT RAIN!

So my good ones are in the 250 area, and I've hit wacky wind and rollout to the 270 zone, and my power is pretty middling, so I know lots of guys can hit 300 in certain instances, but the OP is addressing the guys who are claiming Roryesque standard game numbers.

In that, his points are totally valid.

Yeah when I posted earlier I think I rushed reading the OP's full post. Thats my bad.

There is a big difference between 300 total and 300 carry. I hate posting my number, but for the sake of this discussion its 281 game golf verified. So course I have hit the odd 300 yard drive. It happens now and again with the right conditions.

I have only seen a couple guys ever carry it 300 in the air. Thats silly distance. One was a remax long drive guy who actually couldnt golf much relatively speaking and the other is a guy who is probably the most talented player I ever played with. He has 2 kids now and has rolled out of bed for his first round of the year with me and shot even at a tough track. I watched him hit his drive OB on a 314 par 4, reload and hit his next drive to about 8 feet (All carry LOL). He made the putt for one of the coolest pars I've ever seen...

Long story short: 300 carry is something I have not seen often.

300 total is something a lot of decent golfers can achieve IMO.

I disagree with the drive for show putt for dough analogy.

In the 90's I had a teacher who said driver was the most important club in the bag and I disagreed with him.

As I've gotten older I believe the saying should be: "Driver for dough putt for more dough"

He was right all along LOL.

If you can't get a ball in play at a reasonable distance you won't be very good at the game. Even with 28 putts 3-4 OB's or duffs is gonna wreck that dream in a hurry LOL.

Golfs general population is full of Phillip Seymour Hoffmans in Along Came Polly on the basketball court.

This is absolute GOLD! Hahaha thanks for the laugh man. Had me dying.

As for the thread, 300 carry and 300 total are so much different. There are plenty of athletic people that can generate the speed to do it. I also think a lot of golfers don’t know what a 300 yard carry looks like.

Admittedly, I hit the ball pretty far. Trackman has me between 118-119 in terms of swing speed. That puts me right around a 300 yard carry but I certainly don’t hit it like that all the time. It requires not only clubhead speed, but also great contact with the center of the face, as well as the correct swing path. Some guys I play with think I hit 340 yard drives and it’s just not the case. Occasionally I’ll poke one out there at 300 carry but I normally stick around 280-285 carry. That’s plenty for the courses around me. Scorecards at courses are incorrect at times, and corner cutting doesn’t help perception of distance.

Look, I think we can all agree there are people out there that hit it 300. It depends on the circle of people you play with or the club you belong to. Not a knock on public courses, but you’re much more likely to see 300 yard carry at private courses or in tourney play. My private club is pretty small and we have maybe 3-4 guys that can carry the ball close to 300 yards.

I hope I didn’t come off like an @ss. Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents.

Golfs general population is full of Phillip Seymour Hoffmans in Along Came Polly on the basketball court.

This is absolute GOLD! Hahaha thanks for the laugh man. Had me dying.

As for the thread, 300 carry and 300 total are so much different. There are plenty of athletic people that can generate the speed to do it. I also think a lot of golfers don’t know what a 300 yard carry looks like.

Admittedly, I hit the ball pretty far. Trackman has me between 118-119 in terms of swing speed. That puts me right around a 300 yard carry but I certainly don’t hit it like that all the time. It requires not only clubhead speed, but also great contact with the center of the face, as well as the correct swing path. Some guys I play with think I hit 340 yard drives and it’s just not the case. Occasionally I’ll poke one out there at 300 carry but I normally stick around 280-285 carry. That’s plenty for the courses around me. Scorecards at courses are incorrect at times, and corner cutting doesn’t help perception of distance.

Look, I think we can all agree there are people out there that hit it 300. It depends on the circle of people you play with or the club you belong to. Not a knock on public courses, but you’re much more likely to see 300 yard carry at private courses or in tourney play. My private club is pretty small and we have maybe 3-4 guys that can carry the ball close to 300 yards.

I hope I didn’t come off like an @ss. Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents.

Yep. At my club alone there are, at least, four guys who can CARRY it 300 plus.

One pro. One top-ten world am. And two young ams about to turn professional.

And, yes, it is an absolutely amazing thing to watch and hear.

I'm a legit, plus-index, tournament-level mid-am (albeit a short hitter), and these guys outdrive me by 60 to 100 yards.

The ball just stays in the air forever for them.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Obee, pretty similar at my club in terms of the number of long hitters. I was one of those bombers at my club and perhaps at one time the longest of them. Now I'm at a place where age and injuries have be going backwards in the distance department.

A lot of this debate always goes back to the frame of reference of people who post. They don't play with the handfull of bombers at their club or in their area so they think those people simply don't exist.

I often practice putting near the first tee at my home club and I'll watch group after group tee off and when I watch how pathetic the weekend warrior set is off the tee it makes total sense to me why some people think the way they do. There is a huge difference between the weekend warrior set and the guys who are putting their time in at the course 5,6 or 7 days a week.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

A lot of this debate always goes back to the frame of reference of people who post. They don't play with the handfull of bombers at their club or in their area so they think those people simply don't exist.

It's not that we lowly weekend warriors or low teens guys don't believe the amateur bombers exist, we (may I speak for my caste?) typically just believe the 250-280 hitter suffers from our same hubris, exaggerating distance by 10-15pct.

Do I believe 1pct of golfers hit 300? Yes. Do I believe 50pct of 250 hitters believe they hit it 300? Also yes.

I usually play most of my rounds with same group of guys, and it is an older age group (I may be the youngest at 54)so I don’t get to see what some of the younger guys are doing. I know one guy , age about 50 and one of the better ams in the state has had his Trackman out at the range a time or two, he’s about a 285 carry guy. I know if one other guy who is longer, but I don’t know if he carries it 300 or not.

But we don’t have an abundance of those young guys either, I think the three final groups in the championship flight of our C.C. only had a couple of guys even under 40.

It's not that we lowly weekend warriors or low teens guys don't believe the amateur bombers exist, we (may I speak for my caste?) typically just believe the 250-280 hitter suffers from our same hubris, exaggerating distance by 10-15pct.

Do I believe 1pct of golfers hit 300? Yes. Do I believe 50pct of 250 hitters believe they hit it 300? Also yes.

By your very quote that 1% do that means that a club of 300 there are 3 that do. See how that works.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

You think the life of a big hitter is glamorous? Let me tell you something, it’s not. You short knockers should be thankful that you aren’t burdened with the power of us long drive machines.

You know that 210 yard baby fade you hit? The one that starts out on the center line and still lands in the fairway? Yeah, when we have a ball flight like that, it lands in a different zip code.

None of us asked to be these gorillas that constantly pump out 170mph ball speeds that rip holes in the atmosphere. We are just trying to make the best of the hand we were dealt.