Maui – Oahu – Kauai

AuldPLO Swiss Golftrotter

I’m planning a trip to Hawaii next year and while it will be family vacation, I’ll manage to play a few rounds. Exact details are not set yet but we’re likely to spend about one week on each mentioned islands and hope to play twice a week. I had a look to existing topics but I’d like to summarize a bit what I have in mind and get some feedbacks. That’s why I open a new topic.

MAUI

-          Kapalua – Plantation (any need to justify ?) ;-)

-          Wailea Gold or Emerald ?

I wouln’t consider Manele since it would be too much time consuming

KAUAI

-          Princeville Makai for sure

-          Poipu Bay or Hokuala Ocean ?

I keep an eye on Prince, would it reopen in the meantime.

OAHU

This is where I really need feedbacks

-          Since we gonna visit some relatives living and playing on Waikele CC, I’ll most likely play one round there. Any thoughts ?

-          We may stay in Ko’olina, therefore course next door might be the most convenient choice

-          I would love playing an inland course, like Ko’olau or Royal Hawaiian.

Thanks in advance for your help

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading to Maui next year Plantation and either Wailea Gold or King Kamehameha will be our two rounds there.

As far as Oahu goes it is a tougher call course wise as it is prob the worst of the 3 you're visiting for golf.

Ko'olina havent played could never justify the cost after seeing it on TV, did not look appealing to me. Turtle Bay Palmer has been the best course on Oahu I have played.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want spectacular views Ko'Olau is your best bet however unless you are there in the dry season all 18 may not be open and it will be a muddy slog. I am talking about balls disappearing in the middle of the fairways muddy. Royal Hawaiian sits in a lower spot and offers similar views as Ko'Olau and could be a lot drier

Other options

Ewa Beach heard good things will prob play it on our visit along with Kaneohe and Kuhuku for fun. If you have access to Military courses Kaneohe Klipper is a good bet, Malama Bay if you are an aviation fan since it is right against the airport. If you are a fan of low key quirky designs the 9 hole course at Kuhuku is not in good condition but looks super fun.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Heading to Maui next year Plantation and either Wailea Gold or King Kamehameha will be our two rounds there.

As far as Oahu goes it is a tougher call course wise as it is prob the worst of the 3 you're visiting for golf.

Ko'olina havent played could never justify the cost after seeing it on TV, did not look appealing to me. Turtle Bay Palmer has been the best course on Oahu I have played.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want spectacular views Ko'Olau is your best bet however unless you are there in the dry season all 18 may not be open and it will be a muddy slog. I am talking about balls disappearing in the middle of the fairways muddy. Royal Hawaiian sits in a lower spot and offers similar views as Ko'Olau and could be a lot drier

Other options

Ewa Beach heard good things will prob play it on our visit along with Kaneohe and Kuhuku for fun. If you have access to Military courses Kaneohe Klipper is a good bet, Malama Bay if you are an aviation fan since it is right against the airport. If you are a fan of low key quirky designs the 9 hole course at Kuhuku is not in good condition but looks super fun.

Thanks for your feedback One_Putt_Blunder

I thought that King Kamehameha is private. According to club website, there was a special offer for visitors but only valid until end of April 2017.

Other options

Thanks for your feedback One_Putt_Blunder

I thought that King Kamehameha is private. According to club website, there was a special offer for visitors but only valid until end of April 2017.

I assumed they would continue their member for a day deal, if not I have a few contacts at Troon golf where I could probably make it happen anyway. Honestly leaning towards Wailea as the one to play. K.K. was thrown in as an option because it is much closer to where we would be staying and if we decided to go without a rental car would be a much cheaper uber.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

ASG, I live on the south east side of Oahu. I play Ko'olau and Royal Hawaiian pretty often. I'd be happy to show you around Ko'olau or RH if you chose to play either of those while you are out here. They are both pretty difficult courses, but course knowledge can help out a great deal. I prefer Ko'olau over RH for 2 reasons...the first reason is because I really hate the 11th hole at RH. The second reason is because of the amazing sweet potato fries they serve in the bar/restaurant, at Ko'olau.

I'm military, so I have access to all the military courses as well. Reply or PM me if you have any other questions

ASG, I live on the south east side of Oahu. I play Ko'olau and Royal Hawaiian pretty often. I'd be happy to show you around Ko'olau or RH if you chose to play either of those while you are out here. They are both pretty difficult courses, but course knowledge can help out a great deal. I prefer Ko'olau over RH for 2 reasons...the first reason is because I really hate the 11th hole at RH. The second reason is because of the amazing sweet potato fries they serve in the bar/restaurant, at Ko'olau.

I'm military, so I have access to all the military courses as well. Reply or PM me if you have any other questions

Thanks for your feedback, well noted.

Any thoughts on Waikele ?

Ok, like tarheelsfan105, I was military and spent 9 years of my career in Hawaii, I was last there from 2009 - 2015:

Maui: must play the Plantation Course (kind of a bucket list for me, loved it, will not disappoint)

Kauai: Poipu Bay is probably the best of the two, but Makai has some great views

Oahu: I caddied every year at the PGA's Sony Open (Waialae CC), LPGA's Lotte (Ko'Olina) and Champions Tour events (Turtle Bay and Kapolei GC), so:

Ko'Olina: not a hard course, very well kept, a bit windy and if you are staying there is really a walk away from the hotels

Waikele: not bad, a bit tougher, narrow fairways and dry

Ko'Olau and RH: both beautiful views, Ko'Olau has a ball marker that states "hardest course in the US", is not that bad though, like tarheelfan stated course knowledge is a plus...RH has a few testy holes but, again, not that bad, both courses are on the side of the Ko'Olau mountains, so it is a bit wet and a bit windy as well...

Turtle Bay: located by the North Shore, the Champions Tour used to play there, they have two courses, Fazio and Palmer, the Fazio is way easier, wide fairways and little water to deal with, the Palmer is the tournament course, long, not as wide and plenty of challenges, lovely though...

Kapolei GC: here is where the Champions Tour used to play their latest tournament, they are no longer playing this tournament though, the course is always in great shape (bit expensive), but the experience is amazing

Coral Creek: very nice shape and not as busy, very nice track

Ewa Beach GC: another hidden gem, it is located towards Waikele, looks like a desert getting there, but the course is very green, love it!!!

Military Courses: to me the best is the Klipper at the Kaneohe Marine Corps Base, then Mamala Bay in Hickam AFB and then Leilehua down by Schofield Barracks (this one is the tougher of the three), in terms of easy Navy Marine GC (right across the airport) is wide open and "normally" in very good shape, very busy as well since it is the Honolulu side, last but not least Barbers Point, it is very dry, but a test non than less, it is located almost next to Coral Creek GC.

I loved my time in Hawaii and can say I played every course on the islands, we had a golf group, we traveled once every month or every six weeks to the other islands to play the courses, leave early in the AM, play a morning round, have lunch, play the evening round and fly back (we were all from Oahu), sometimes a different course on one trip...enjoy the islands and definitely take photos, let us know how it went for you, take care, hopefully this helped a bit...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Thanks for your feedback, well noted.

Any thoughts on Waikele ?

I've played it once. I really liked the course/experience but unless you play it during the week, I think its a little overpriced. That's really the only reason I haven't played it more often. That and the fact that its a bit of a drive for me. If it wasn't for the drive, I'd definitely play it more. It's conveniently located though...the outlets there are really popular (and possibly something for the wife/family to do while you golf...see how my mind works...I'm always thinking of "others" :)

BG gave a great rundown above. I haven't been off the island (yet) so I can't speak for any of those courses. I'll just give you a few more of my thoughts on some of the courses BG mentioned.

Ko'Olina - typical resort course, very pricey...I think they play an LPGA even here every year. Definitely worth playing once...also there are lots of good restaurants/shops nearby...and I always mention the fact that the seats in their golf carts are the most comfortable seats I've ever used...not the most comfortable golf cart seat...the most comfortable seat altogether...they are great!

Ko'Olau and RH - I mentioned these earlier and BG mentioned them as well. I always hear people talking about how wet they are but I guess I've just been lucky to play them under dryer conditions. If you are considering playing them, it would be a good idea to consider the amount of rainfall they've had in recent days.

Turtle Bay - typical resort courses...in my opinion, Palmer was an amazing course/experience. We played the Fazio first, then Palmer. Honestly, I would make the drive again for the Palmer, but not the Fazio.

As for the military courses, I've only played a few of them, I really like Navy/Marine. Like BG mentioned, its wide open, usually in great shape, and I've shot some of my best rounds on this course. Klipper is really popular for 3-4 of the holes on the back that run parallel to the beach. There are really some breathtaking, must see, views on several of the tee boxes. Other than that, I feel like its just an average course.

Ok, like tarheelsfan105, I was military and spent 9 years of my career in Hawaii, I was last there from 2009 - 2015:

Maui: must play the Plantation Course (kind of a bucket list for me, loved it, will not disappoint)

Kauai: Poipu Bay is probably the best of the two, but Makai has some great views

Oahu: I caddied every year at the PGA's Sony Open (Waialae CC), LPGA's Lotte (Ko'Olina) and Champions Tour events (Turtle Bay and Kapolei GC), so:

Ko'Olina: not a hard course, very well kept, a bit windy and if you are staying there is really a walk away from the hotels

Ko'Olau and RH: both beautiful views, Ko'Olau has a ball marker that states "hardest course in the US", is not that bad though, like tarheelfan stated course knowledge is a plus...RH has a few testy holes but, again, not that bad, both courses are on the side of the Ko'Olau mountains, so it is a bit wet and a bit windy as well...

Turtle Bay: located by the North Shore, the Champions Tour used to play there, they have two courses, Fazio and Palmer, the Fazio is way easier, wide fairways and little water to deal with, the Palmer is the tournament course, long, not as wide and plenty of challenges, lovely though...

Kapolei GC: here is where the Champions Tour used to play their latest tournament, they are no longer playing this tournament though, the course is always in great shape (bit expensive), but the experience is amazing

Ewa Beach GC: another hidden gem, it is located towards Waikele, looks like a desert getting there, but the course is very green, love it!!!

Military Courses: to me the best is the Klipper at the Kaneohe Marine Corps Base, then Mamala Bay in Hickam AFB and then Leilehua down by Schofield Barracks (this one is the tougher of the three), in terms of easy Navy Marine GC (right across the airport) is wide open and "normally" in very good shape, very busy as well since it is the Honolulu side, last but not least Barbers Point, it is very dry, but a test non than less, it is located almost next to Coral Creek GC.

I loved my time in Hawaii and can say I played every course on the islands, we had a golf group, we traveled once every month or every six weeks to the other islands to play the courses, leave early in the AM, play a morning round, have lunch, play the evening round and fly back (we were all from Oahu), sometimes a different course on one trip...enjoy the islands and definitely take photos, let us know how it went for you, take care, hopefully this helped a bit...

BG, just curious, did your golf group have a name? I've noticed there are several pretty big groups out here that play the military courses....surprisingly, the courses give them tee times a year in advance. They pretty much just rotate through the military courses.

Also, you say you played every course on the island? How was Mid-Pacific!?!?

BG, just curious, did your golf group have a name? I've noticed there are several pretty big groups out here that play the military courses....surprisingly, the courses give them tee times a year in advance. They pretty much just rotate through the military courses.

Hey, TH, Mid-Pac was actually in good shape when I played it, they have an annual tournament there, so I caught it right after, greens were the best part...we did not have an actual group name, it was about 12 of us that traveled, there were plenty of groups (military and civilian) that play different courses around Oahu most of the groups met Saturdays and a few on Sundays, at times they traveled as well, we saw them at courses on the other islands, they did get the first few T-Times every Saturday and/or Sunday...most of them played Leilehua, Barbers Point and Navy Marine the most...they did play non-military courses about once a month as well...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Hey, TH, Mid-Pac was actually in good shape when I played it, they have an annual tournament there, so I caught it right after, greens were the best part...we did not have an actual group name, it was about 12 of us that traveled, there were plenty of groups (military and civilian) that play different courses around Oahu most of the groups met Saturdays and a few on Sundays, at times they traveled as well, we saw them at courses on the other islands, they did get the first few T-Times every Saturday and/or Sunday...most of them played Leilehua, Barbers Point and Navy Marine the most...they did play non-military courses about once a month as well...

yep, so you probably ran into or heard of the Puka Chasers...I think this group has been together for like 2 decades or something crazy like that. How did you get on Mid-Pac? Any clue how I could? Thanks

Turned down Mid-Pac last year think the guest fee was north of $200 and when we were doing the pillbox hike I got to see it and had a sense of relief that I turned it down.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii next year and while it will be family vacation, I'll manage to play a few rounds. Exact details are not set yet but we're likely to spend about one week on each mentioned islands and hope to play twice a week. I had a look to existing topics but I'd like to summarize a bit what I have in mind and get some feedbacks. That's why I open a new topic.

MAUI

- Kapalua – Plantation (any need to justify ?) ;-)

- Wailea Gold or Emerald ?

I wouln't consider Manele since it would be too much time consuming

KAUAI

- Princeville Makai for sure

- Poipu Bay or Hokuala Ocean ?

I keep an eye on Prince, would it reopen in the meantime.

OAHU

This is where I really need feedbacks

- Since we gonna visit some relatives living and playing on Waikele CC, I'll most likely play one round there. Any thoughts ?

- We may stay in Ko'olina, therefore course next door might be the most convenient choice

- I would love playing an inland course, like Ko'olau or Royal Hawaiian.

Thanks in advance for your help

My wife and I went out to Kauai for our honeymoon and we played Princeville Makai. I CANNOT express how awesome the whole staff was to us when we showed up. We booked a tee time through our hotel (St. Regis Princeville...highly suggest you go and watch the sunset there). We showed up to the course about an hour and a half before our tee time to hit golf balls and buy a few things in the pro shop for our families. From the minute we drove up, everyone was awesome! The gentleman working the bag drop welcomed us and when he found out we were renting clubs, he said he'd park our car for us so we could go right inside. When we walked in, the woman working the pro shop was super nice and when she found out we were on our honeymoon, she gave us a discount on a hat for my wife and informed us to come back in after the round for our engraved bag tags.

The starter had our rental clubs out for us on a cart and made sure we had plenty of water (really need to drink a ton of water out there!!!) and told us we could go whenever we were ready. We hit some practice balls at the range which was a good size but a bit narrow and rolled a few putts. The rental clubs were nice new Callaway steelhead irons and XR 16 woods. Putter was an odyssey. Being a lefty, rental clubs can be pretty rough but these were great aside from the offset compared to my Vapor Pros.

The course was in fantastic condition and the views were gorgeous!!! On the 7th tee box from the tips, if you look down the cliff, you'll see Queen's Bath. But the first par 3 is a gorgeous view crazy downhill about 180 but plays like 165 with the drop. Be sure to bring your camera or phone to take a ton of pics and if you have a go pro, bring that too! Take in all the views before you hit your shot.

One hole there was a guy on the mower and not only did he stop, he turned the mower off when we were 120 yards away since he was up by the green. When we got to the green, he asked where we were from, our names, and why we came out to Kauai. When we told him we were on our honeymoon, he gave me a high five and laughed saying "you've got a winner if she's letting you play on your honeymoon!" He took a picture for us with a beautiful backdrop and congratulated us on our marriage.

A few holes later, the ranger came up to us and helped us find our tee shots (bring a range finder! they have a gps on the cart but it's still not the same). We found the shots and he offered to take a picture of us with another gorgeous backdrop. He suggested a few great places for us to go for hikes and gave us really detailed directions on how to get there! He was BY FAR the nicest ranger I've ever encountered.

By the time we got to the clubhouse after the round, we were smiling ear to ear. Not only was the course in fantastic shape and the employees super friendly, but we also played pretty well!

When we went into the pro shop, the director of golf was in there and asked how we enjoyed it. He was informed by the woman in the pro shop that we were on our honeymoon while we were on the course so he greeted us asking how the honeymoon couple enjoyed the round. It's small things like that that really make courses stand out. He asked us where we were from and it turned out he was from a town not far from us. After talking about awesome golf in the Chicago area for a while, he gave us our engraved bag tags that had Mr. (last name) and Mrs. (last name). The lady did it on her own without us asking! And she made up another one for us to put on our Christmas tree.

A few days later, I went back into the pro shop to pick up a shirt for my dad and asked if the director of golf was around. They said he was in his office but pointed me in the right direction. I went in and knocked on his door. He greeted me and remembered my name and asked how our honeymoon was going. I told him about how wonderful our experience was and how professional the entire staff was from the starter, the grounds crew, and the pro shop staff. He got a little choked up when I told him how great everyone was and said he is so proud of his staff. Apparently, they had a few people complain about small things earlier that day but my comments were exactly what he needed to hear.

To sum it up, I'd totally play there again and would recommend anyone to go there!!!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

• 1 month later...

Aloha. I refer people to three courses when the visit Oahu.

New ewa beach. Immaculate conditions every day. By far the best public course in the island.

Royal Hawaiian. Great track. Front 9 hilly, back 9 a jungle. They just spent the last year removing numerous trees and ground coverings for drying purposes. It's still a great track and #11 will make sawgrass #17 look easy.

Turtle bay(Palmer course). Great track always in good condition. The wind can get a bit annoying on the front 9, back winds thru the trees and and less windy.

And 3 courses I would avoid all cost.

Hawaii Kai zero maintenance

Olomana zero maintenance

Koolau. Just an absolute mess for another 6 months or so. They are in the process of removing trees too. Would avoid at all poss cost till late 2018.

Btw just played the Ocean course at Hokuala on Kauai. They just opened the full 18 and it's in great condition.

Let me know of you need any other info. Aloha

Aloha. I refer people to three courses when the visit Oahu.

New ewa beach. Immaculate conditions every day. By far the best public course in the island.

Royal Hawaiian. Great track. Front 9 hilly, back 9 a jungle. They just spent the last year removing numerous trees and ground coverings for drying purposes. It's still a great track and #11 will make sawgrass #17 look easy.

Turtle bay(Palmer course). Great track always in good condition. The wind can get a bit annoying on the front 9, back winds thru the trees and and less windy.

And 3 courses I would avoid all cost.

Hawaii Kai zero maintenance

Olomana zero maintenance

Koolau. Just an absolute mess for another 6 months or so. They are in the process of removing trees too. Would avoid at all poss cost till late 2018.

Btw just played the Ocean course at Hokuala on Kauai. They just opened the full 18 and it's in great condition.

Let me know of you need any other info. Aloha

Just an fyi, the 3 courses you would avoid at all costs are actually really cheap to play and are fun ($4x.xx a round) and you can see ocean from Hawaii Kai, and after all this rain the course is in a little better shape but like you said, nothing compared to Ko Olina, Kapolei, or New Ewa. Also Mid Pac is in excellent shape and pretty tough as usual.

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X