Any other hikers, backpackers, campers out there?

One_Putt_Blunder

Wife woke me up on her way to work this morning at 6:30 was sitting around bored by 9am so decided to head out. Hiked up to the pass nearest my place 9 miles or so round trip 1600 feet of elevation most in coming in a 2 mile push up to the pass.

Red line is where I am going

DPAt2xYVwAEN51_.jpg

About halfway up

DPBxWoiVQAA6BCb.jpg

The last push to the top of the pass

DPBBTOmU8AETMW8.jpg

View to the east looking at Four Peaks

DPBybgAUQAErVAv.jpg

The view west back over the city same angle as the pic in my first post just much better visibility today

DPBzcpsV4AADf4R.jpg

The a good look at a few different sections of the trail

DPBxHDdVoAAzm2s.jpg

Saguaro just starting to sprout arms

DPBx-wyVAAA5dP0.jpg

DPBy9TfUMAEUUEk.jpg

Recording of the hike. I started/ended it at the trailhead so I dont leave an online map to my front door.

DPBdOuXVwAAacIu.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Wife woke me up on her way to work this morning at 6:30 was sitting around bored by 9am so decided to head out. Hiked up to the pass nearest my place 9 miles or so round trip 1600 feet of elevation most in coming in a 2 mile push up to the pass.

Red line is where I am going

DPAt2xYVwAEN51_.jpg

About halfway up

DPBxWoiVQAA6BCb.jpg

The last push to the top of the pass

DPBBTOmU8AETMW8.jpg

View to the east looking at Four Peaks

DPBybgAUQAErVAv.jpg

The view west back over the city same angle as the pic in my first post just much better visibility today

DPBzcpsV4AADf4R.jpg

The a good look at a few different sections of the trail

DPBxHDdVoAAzm2s.jpg

Saguaro just starting to sprout arms

DPBx-wyVAAA5dP0.jpg

DPBy9TfUMAEUUEk.jpg

Recording of the hike. I started/ended it at the trailhead so I dont leave an online map to my front door.

DPBdOuXVwAAacIu.jpg

I could very well see my carcass getting picked at by vultures in the summer

Heat is no joke if not acclimated to it. I wont do any significant climb 800+ feet of elevation gain if it is over 85 degrees. Even though we see them somewhat frequently at our place I do like to limit my exposure to rattlesnakes and that means staying off the more technical trails in the summer. Thankfully AZ is pretty diverse and within a 2-3 hour drive I can be up above 5000 feet to find some cooler weather in summer. Wifey on the other hand loves the heat and will go out and do 7-10 miles in the middle of the day in the summer, but if it is below 60 you'd think she was in Antarctica

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Heat is no joke if not acclimated to it. I wont do any significant climb 800+ feet of elevation gain if it is over 85 degrees. Even though we see them somewhat frequently at our place I do like to limit my exposure to rattlesnakes and that means staying off the more technical trails in the summer. Thankfully AZ is pretty diverse and within a 2-3 hour drive I can be up above 5000 feet to find some cooler weather in summer. Wifey on the other hand loves the heat and will go out and do 7-10 miles in the middle of the day in the summer, but if it is below 60 you'd think she was in Antarctica

I used to be like your wife. Would run in 100+ degrees with a long sleeve and beanie. 65 and lower I'm in a long sleeve and/or jacket. Now I just can't do that anymore over 90 degrees but still hate the cold. Time to move to Hawaii lol.

I hate you guys. I live in Iowa....

I have started to dabble a bit in more outdoor winter activities recently, and actually have just ordered some new gear. We do have a pretty big State Park about 15 minutes away, planning on going over for some winter trail running/hiking, possible XC skiing, probably a few small climbing areas.

I am really excited about it, found some nice deals on some new TNF - MH gear the last few weeks

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Benefits of winter too.... Skiing and winter hiking/snowshoeing

Please let me know how amazing my MC Hammer sweatpants are

any tips for a beginner in XC? Which style is easier to pick up?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I have started to dabble a bit in more outdoor winter activities recently, and actually have just ordered some new gear. We do have a pretty big State Park about 15 minutes away, planning on going over for some winter trail running/hiking, possible XC skiing, probably a few small climbing areas.

I am really excited about it, found some nice deals on some new TNF - MH gear the last few weeks

LOL my buddy is flying in from Ankeny today. I dont think I have met anyone who hates Iowa more than him hearing his stories makes me understand your pain there

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

LOL my buddy is flying in from Ankeny today. I dont think I have met anyone who hates Iowa more than him hearing his stories makes me understand your pain there

Funny, I grew up in, and went to school in Ankeny.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Benefits of winter too.... Skiing and winter hiking/snowshoeing

Please let me know how amazing my MC Hammer sweatpants are

any tips for a beginner in XC? Which style is easier to pick up?

I wouldn't consider myself an expert and mostly I'm out with Mrs MtlJeff who is definitely a beginner. So mostly I'm just gliding along at a leisurely pace

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

REI Garage has 25% off one item. I just ordered a Deuter Act Lite 65+10 pack for $128 and also got a free $20 gift card

Did you sign up for their REI dividend/membership card? They give you back 10% of all purchases made in store and online sometime in the spring.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

REI Garage has 25% off one item. I just ordered a Deuter Act Lite 65+10 pack for $128 and also got a free $20 gift card

Did you sign up for their REI dividend/membership card? They give you back 10% of all purchases made in store and online sometime in the spring.

Yea I’ve done that. Reminds me I need to go online today and pick something up lol.

REI and The North Face have some solid deals right now, I've spent so much money the last 3 days I cant even look at the websites lol. Picked up a new TV and been playing golf 3 rounds in last 4 days plus some early Christmas shopping.

Record heat in Phoenix yesterday 90 degrees. Walked a par 3 course in the morning shot -1 and did 7.5 miles up through a wash into a box canyon yesterday

DPkhU_VUQAA6k_C.jpg

DPl3md8V4AA107N.jpg

DPl3koJVQAE3sx6.jpg

DPl3pD1VwAAIsjc.jpg

Ran into a family of deer on the way back down.

DPl4R8UUIAAgpZl.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I don’t know much about AZ weather but 90 degrees in November seem crazy. We bought a bunch of Northface gear too. My sister had hookup threw a friend so we got everything 50% off. Most of it was for my kids and wife.

Average high this time of the month is around 75 degrees so 90 was well over average and beat the previous record high but a degree or two. Drank every drop of my 2.5L camelbak 6 miles into the 7.5 mile hike. That amount will usually cover me for 9-10 miles. I was also drinking a lot of water not figuring I would have plenty for that length of a hike. Supposed to cool down quite a bit this week chance of rain next weekend which will be nice. Isaacbm is here this week so prob get a round of golf in with him one of the days and hike the other. Might shoot for a big climb if it is cool and rainy.

Also signed up for the pro version of Alltrails.com and the app 50% black Friday sale. Playing around with it a little bit at work. So far I like it, access to different map layers including topo maps. Ability to pre plan custom routes and download to the phone to stay on track with GPS. Need to play around with it a bit more to really figure it out but so far is a nice upgrade from the free version.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Was messing around on alltrails playing with the upgraded features, drew out the big one I want to get down when the temps are more reasonable. This will be a huge test as certain parts of the climb approach a 40% grade. There is a shorter version if I drive over to the other side and hike in that way but where is the fun in that?

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I don’t know much about AZ weather but 90 degrees in November seem crazy. We bought a bunch of Northface gear too. My sister had hookup threw a friend so we got everything 50% off. Most of it was for my kids and wife.

I also punished my wallet with some new MHW and TNF gear, some new softshell pants to try, some new gloves, few baselayers. I plan to get more active this Winter, spend more time outdoors than the last few.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

First big failed attempt this weekend. Fully intended to climb the big peak by me (2 posts up) made it over the pass to the other side and just did not have my A game and climbing legs so I hit eject and went down to Fountain Hills exploring the old abandoned Dixie Mine along the way. Still ended up at a hair over 9 miles. But after climbing 1600 feet i knew I did not have another 1500 up to the peak and back down, then another 900 to get back over the pass in me.

DQI1093V4AATeTV.jpg

DQJ2YHHUIAAQYbM.jpg

Top of the vertical shaft in the mine.

DQJ0j1uUQAEEg2G.jpg

The trail to the lower horizontal shafts was kinda cool

DQJ013YUIAAXVNK.jpg

The lower shafts

DQJ0mEOVwAAFFqP.jpg

DQJ0nfmUIAA-dB-.jpg

DQJ0ozNU8AAfowv.jpg

Four Peaks

DQJ2WxQUIAEOPmE.jpg

Weavers Needle off in the distance

DQJ2ZZQU8AELKy-.jpg

The view of Thompson Peak from the other side of the range. Really wish there was a better trail access from my side. Would not have been too bad pushing the final 770 feet from Bell Pass (3204) but having to drop down to 2400 only to go back up to 3990 was brutal

DQJwWZdUIAA23fv.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Had no idea what to get wifey for Christmas besides clothes so booked her and by her I mean us lol an Airbnb for spring up in Sedona to have a little weekend getaway as her busy season winds down at work. Place is right at the base of some good trailheads so will do a few hikes and exploring. Including finally checking out the Devils Bridge trail

15-devils-bridge-view-sedona-arizona.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Had no idea what to get wifey for Christmas besides clothes so booked her and by her I mean us lol an Airbnb for spring up in Sedona to have a little weekend getaway as her busy season winds down at work. Place is right at the base of some good trailheads so will do a few hikes and exploring. Including finally checking out the Devils Bridge trail

15-devils-bridge-view-sedona-arizona.jpg

Looks like a "mini" Angels Landing from Zion National Park.

Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]

They're not terribly far apart in the grand scheme of things ~175 miles similar terrain, and elevation

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

They're not terribly far apart in the grand scheme of things ~175 miles similar terrain, and elevation

My best friend did Angels Landing a few years back and his GF was death gripping the railing. It's a common thing (his guide said) for people to have a weird urge to jump. Not that they want to commit suicide but this weird sensation creeps into peoples minds when at heights like that. Gives me the heebie-jeebies

Anyone do any winter hiking? Going back to Tahoe and possibly Yosemite the first week of January. Wanna get a hike or two in but don’t want to die.

Good gear is the key here. Good socks, gloves. Goretex boots to start, Other than that stuff that is warm, will keep you dry but breathable for pants and tops. Last thing you want is something that does not breathe to where you sweat a ton in freezing temps. Knock your distances down it's not easy to trek through fresh and/or deep snow. Yosemite might not be all that bad snowfall wise especially in the valley.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Anyone do any winter hiking? Going back to Tahoe and possibly Yosemite the first week of January. Wanna get a hike or two in but don’t want to die.

Good gear is the key here. Good socks, gloves. Goretex boots to start, Other than that stuff that is warm, will keep you dry but breathable for pants and tops. Last thing you want is something that does not breathe to where you sweat a ton in freezing temps. Knock your distances down it's not easy to trek through fresh and/or deep snow. Yosemite might not be all that bad snowfall wise especially in the valley.

Any recommendations on a good Gore Tex boot?

Man so many out there but I really suggest go try some on, I tried on 3-4 of the top rated trail shoes and found quite a few did not fit my weird arch very well. These are ugly as hell but insanely comfortable and a great shoe. Any of the GTX La Sportiva's are really good, but for snow prob want something a little higher than a standard trail shoe even one with goretex

https://www.sportiva.com/men-s/men-s-footwear/synthesis-mid-gtx.html

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I have a previous version of this, been a good boot: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/shoes-mens-hiking/mens-ultra-extreme-ii-gore-tex-cwa8?variationId=WL4

They have plenty of other options.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

The low version of those TNF were high on my list but just dug into the back of my arch.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

The low version of those TNF were high on my list but just dug into the back of my arch.

Shoes/boots are tough to get just right. I personally don't have many good stores close by, so rely on TNF and Zappos, free returns always, peace of mind.

I keep finding great deals on gear, have bought way too much the last month, but enough that it will force me to get out more than normal this winter, am actually looking forward to it.

There is something about being out alone in the snow, trekking about, very peaceful, good for the soul.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x